Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2006 Cadillac SRX Timing Chain

strandedsrxstrandedsrx Posts: 1
edited March 24 in Cadillac
I purchased a 2006 cadillac SRX and the timing chain has failed twice. If anyone else have had this problem please let me know and how did you make a complaint.

Comments

• mlkhmlkh Posts: 2
    The timing chain broke on my 2006 cadillac srx. We were on vacation and it happened suddenly. had it towed to local cadillac dealership. They said they had never heard of one breaking. They say it is not under warranty. Have 51000 miles on my vehicle with no hard driving. We are now up to probably needing a new engine. Is it worth it?
  • krey3krey3 Posts: 3
    Hi mlkh. It's possible you've already fixed your 2006 srx by now. I'm having the same problem with my 2006 srx. I'm at 101,000 with a good service record. GMC wants to rebuild the engine with cost up to $10,000. I wrote to corporate. They will pay 1/3 of the repairs or give me $2000 towards another GMC vehicle. GMC legal wants to give me $5000 for salvage. Market value is $10,798.

For me the repair is not worth it. I paid $30,000 for a luxury AMERICAN car. Now they want me to pay $10,000 more. I still owe on the car. This has been a hard & bitter life lesson. My first american car, and my last.
  • mlkhmlkh Posts: 2
    We did have it fixed. GMC paid 1/2 which left us paying about 3000. I seldom drive it. Thought about trading but decided to keep it as it is paid for and so far seems fine. But then it seemed fine to me just before it stopped dead in its tracks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    mlkh,
    Thank you for your update. Please feel free to email me with any future questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • krey3krey3 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it was repaired, and GMC stepped up to cover 1/2 the cost. I look forward to the same fortune.
  • lemonsrxlemonsrx Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    We purchased a Cadillac SRX brand new. Thinking we were purchasing a well built luxury American car. What a lemon! Nothing but problems!! The front end squeaks horribly sounding like a piece junk rather than a luxury car. The traction control system kicks on at times without warning causing it to be hard to control. The timing chains now need to be replaced. Obviously this a known problem and should be recalled. A friend has a 2011 cts and just had the timing chains replaced, showing that gm has not fixed this defect! What a shame that the name Cadillac once meant luxury to me, now it means lemon. No wonder Americans are buying foreign cars! I will certainly not buy another gm product.
    lemonsrx,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. Can you please email me directly at SocialMedia@GM.com with your VIN, current mileage, and dealer of choice? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • njs4njs4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 SRX and June of last year i had to replace the timing chain. now i am noticing the noise is starting to come back again. how often do these chains need to be replaced? i always thought cadillac's were a good car and used to buy foreign cars but switch to a gm car but i am having too many mechanical problems. i may go back to foreign again. this is my first time owning an american made car. :lemon:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry to see that you are having a potential concern with your timing chain again; if you purchased this part through one of our GM dealerships, there should be a 1 year warranty on the part. If it was installed there, there is also a 1 year warranty on the workmanship. Let us know if we can be of any assistance!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Don't be fooled by gm trying to help you. They could care less and just pass you to a foreign call center. They pretty much know they have no intention of helping you. It is soo frustrating talking to some one from a foreign county that works for an American company like gm. Why even bother buying an American made car when you deal with someone overseas. I might as well by a foreign car and get a quality vehicle. What a lemon this Cadillac srx has been. :lemon:
  • These must be a issue for GM because all of the newer 3.6L engines have an extended warranty running out to 120K miles mainly dealing with this issue.
    I have an 2005 with the 3.6L that has the noisy chains- no codes yet, just wondering if anyone has oil consumption issues with their V6? (more than 1 qt / 2000 miles)
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    High oil consumption and noisy engine are not very good signs. You better get it checked out before your engine self-destructs. Good luck.
  • 2006 SRX, had warranty timing chain replacement at 45k miles. Since that time oil consumption checked regularly, averaging at least a full qt low per 1100k driven. At 67k dealer performed an oil consumption test which involved three trips to the dealer. Dealer claimed level was 1/4 qt low and for 1100 miles was normal. Now experiencing 'service stability system' and 'service brake assist' warnings with symbols lighting on dash. Warning don't come on till car is warmed up (Michigan winter) to the point the fan is blowing warm air. Once the car is warmed up and then restarted (run into a store) the warnings come on quickly. During the initial cold starts the ABS does not work prior to the warnings. We have not experienced steering issues from the stability system. Car will be in for service this week.
    chevy4ever57,
    Let us know how your trip to the dealership goes this week! We're available to do any follow up if you like. Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • The timing chain just went on my 2006 SRX at 69,000 miles and 3 weeks ago two fuel injectors were replaced. I purchased an extended warranty from the dealer for 70,000 miles or 3 years when I purchased the car used from the GM dealership with 32,000 miles on it. At the beginning it was one computer module problem after another that went on for 6 months!
    No warning, no noise, no problems indicating the timing chain had a problem. I am sick about this. I bought this vehicle because I have neck problems and the car ergonomics helped me tremendously. I was more comfortable in the car than at home! The extended warranty ended the end of November 2012 on the year basis. Is there any way to get warranty coverage? Does anyone know? None of this should be happening on GM vehicles.
  • acivilettiaciviletti Posts: 1

I bought a used 2005 Cadillac SRX in Dec 2012. A year and a half later I've had nothing but problems. I've already had to change the coil packs and water pump, the check engine light came on with a code P0420 bank 1 which means I needed to change the O2 sensors. About a week later I starting hearing a loud noise on acceleration. When I came home my husband looked at it and found that the catalytic converters have now burnt out. To top it off the timing chains are rattling and need to be replaced before the engine blows! Its also shifting rough which my husband says may be an easy fix as long as it isn't the transmission. . . .Unfortunately Im stuck with this car since I still have 3 years of car payments left. As soon as I can i will be trading it in for something different.