Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compact Sedans

Comments

• Considering the personal comments and sniping all over various sedans discussions lately, I'm contemplating banning the next person who uses the word "fanboy." It's juvenile. It makes absolutely no point whatsoever, and is right there on par with "I know you are, but what am I?" as a clever comeback. Enough.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    edited January 2011
    I don't see an Elantra with a 138 HP engine and a little heavy competing with a fiesta or a focus for torque, and fun to drive.
    So the fords get about 4 miles less a gallon,big deal.
    . What about a Hyundai's resale value? Does the Fiesta come with rear drums I think so.
    Hyundai's always have been under powered. I can't wait to see the Volster. Another dog from Hyundai. It's too bad ,because their styling is good and they have sort of a Ford sync offered in the newer models.
    Jeff if your on here ,please tell me what engine will be in the new VW Polo. A 1.4 liter 79 HP can't be true.
    TY
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    FYI, the 2011 Elantra has 148 hp--more than almost every other car in the class. Also, the Elantra took first place in its class in the 2010 ALG Residual Value Awards with the highest projected resale percentage value of any compact car.

Not sure what you mean by the Elantra being "a little heavy." A little heavy compared to what? It's considerably lighter than the Mazda3, Corolla, Sentra, and Cruze, and only 30-40 lbs. heavier than the 2011 Civic and Focus (M/Ts). Will the new Civic and Focus be a lot lighter than the current designs?
  • Ford does not list the Focus's weight. The width is 71.8 which does not seem compact at all. Also all Focus sedans have low profile tires as does the Limited Elantra. The low profile tires are noisier, bumpier and have less snow traction. Why do these car companies think everyone who wants a higher trim or in all cases with the Focus a bumpier, noisier ride? Mazda does the same with the 3S. I rented a hatchback and it was very noisy and I felt every bump. I prefer a smoother ride but anyone who wants heated leather seats in an Elantra or heated leather seats and a more powerful engine in a Mazda 3 is forced to get these tires.
    I suppose you could swap out the 17" wheels on the Elantra (or other compacts) for the 16" alloys from the GLS Preferred package, or even 15" wheels (except if you want alloys in 15" size you'd need to go aftermarket). I'll bet the dealer would swap the 16" wheels at no charge. ;)
    edited January 2011
    Yup, I goofed. I was interested in the Elantra for a few years and gave up on them beacuse of the 138 hp, didn't know they went with a 148hp/ I had a Mazda 3 I new Value 2008 and it had an auto tranny 4 spd. and cheap RSA Eagles on it. Those tires will kill you in rain or snow. You can't buy that car today. Mazda
    forces you to up grade.The I New Value came w/sunroof, 6cd and moonrooof.
    Also, what's with no lumbar support. I dumped it with 12000 miles on it and got twice the car in a Golf. Multi level heated seats like my BMW and grab bars,and moonroof, lumbar support and Bluetooth 177hp 5spd. I get 34 highway 24 city. I paid $15,500 less than the cars I tried. VW and it had a nicer cockpit and amenities of an Audi hard to find multi level seats w/ lumbar in a Ford, Cruze or most sub or compact cars.. Think Fiesta would have grab bars nope.
    I sure like the looks of the Elantra and know many repeat buyers.I didn't know they finnally put some ponies in there. Thats what held us back.
    We have a BMW and Wifes Lexus IS and wanted a fun winter beater. I tried Fiesta, Cruze,Kia, and Civic all egg beaters. I like a car with no road, ,or engine noise. :shades:
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    If he were to go to 15" from 17" the profile of the tire would have to go up or else he will end up with higher rpms which would probably affect FE.
    He would also have to have speedo speed sensor adjusted, or replaced.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    " I tried Fiesta, Cruze,Kia, and Civic all egg beaters. I like a car with no road, ,or engine noise."

I thought the Fiesta and Cruze were known for their lack of road and engine noise? I agree about the seat in the Cruze tho. Lumbar was noticeably missing. Plus the seatback dug into me at shoulder level, which exasperated the lack of lumbar. Have almost ruled that car out because of the seat. I'm surprised that no one else has commented on that aspect of the seat yet. I am average height.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    We haven't driven one yet & with my severe spinal issues getting worse of late, that's the 1st thing I notice...the drivers seat. Took my kids Versa for some warranty work this morning and sat in a 2011 Versa S seat & was truly amazed at how nice it is. I could just slide over like in a minivan and the new fabric was grippy yet of good material that should last a long time. No falling into the seat with this car which I do in my Civic even with a seat cushion. Hoping we find another seat as good as the Versa's when we start our search. Hoping the Buick version will fit the bill as well as the Elantra.

But the car is for the wife...I only use it to put in petrol & have warranty/maintenance work done. She drives when we go out due to my spinal issues & the worsening sciatica. :(

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

That is the point. With the smaller rims, the tire profile is bigger, putting more rubber (air) between rim and road and most likely providing a smoother ride than with the larger rims. Also might impact handling a bit, but that's the typical tradeoff--less crisp handling vs. firmer/harsher ride (and often more road noise).
  • is now here: Tires, tires, tires

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Everone I have spoken to who had a car with low profile tires popped at least one tire on a pothole. My mechanic told me he fixes many more flats on low profile tires or the tires have to be replaced from scraping curbs.

I'm surprised the Elantra would go to low profile tires because the car has usually been considered their answer to the Corolla.

It will be interesting to see the Buick Verano as it appears to be a more luxurious rather than more sporty compact.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    Everyone I have spoken to who had a car with low profile tires popped at least one tire on a pothole. My mechanic told me he fixes many more flats on low profile tires or the tires have to be replaced from scraping curbs.

My 2006 Mazda3 has P205/50VR17 tires and, prior to buying it back in 12/2005, I had never owned anything with wheels over 15" or a sidewall aspect ratio lower than 60. So I was pretty much oblivious to the drawbacks and potential problems that a lower sidewall profile can cause! I had a nasty run-in with a pothole and trashed both rims on the right side of my car.

Amazingly, it bent both 17" alloy wheels, but didn't damage the tires at all! The force of the impact went straight thru the tire into the wheel. I was grateful the tires weren't trashed along with the wheels, but the tires would only cost about $130/each to replace...I spent over $500 buying a new wheel for the front and having the bent rear wheel repaired.

Thankfully, Georgia has some of the best quality roads in the country. The road where I had my nasty mishap is out in the middle of nowhere (near my parents’ house) and it’s not state maintained. That should mean that it is a country-maintained road, but they don’t see it that way. I still have my old ’92 Accord (owned it since 1993) and I drive it when I go out to po-dunk to see the family. She has 372k miles on the clock and rattles a little on those bumpy roads, but the potholes and other road imperfections hardly phase her! =)

I’ve made it three years without destroying another wheel or damaging a tire…but I’ve scared the hell out of people riding with me if I suddenly run up on a pothole and take ‘EVASIVE ACTION’!
    We're waiting to get a good look at this new Buick...it could just be our next vehicle. Will it be a 2011 or 2012 model? Would prefer a 2nd year model if possible & if all goes according to plan, we'll hit 100k on the Mazda3 about the time the 2013's come out. Looks like the Verano & the Elantra will be duking it out for our $. Want a long warranty also.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    Just a note - the Cruze and Verano are mid-size and Edmunds has them correctly classified as such. They do not belong in this discussion.

The EPA has the Cruze incorrectly classified in their database. GM markets it as a "Compact" but they're cheating, as its interior space is really much larger than most everything else they are marketing it against. The ride is better as well, being that it has a mid-size wheelbase.
    edited January 2011
    Then cars like the Elantra, Forte, and Sentra don't belong here either. They have mid-sized interiors per EPA volume numbers. However, they, like the Cruze and Verano, are one size down in length from "mid-sized" sedans like Accord, Camry, Sonata, Optima, Malibu, Fusion etc. etc. So all these cars--including Cruze, Verano, Elantra, Forte, and Sentra--are rightly considered "compact" sedans, to differentiate them from "mid-sized" sedans like those I listed.

FWIW, the Cruze is really NOT much larger than most everything else Chevy is marketing it against. For example, here's some interior volume numbers, with passenger volume in parentheses, for some of Cruze's competitors:

Cruze: 110.0 (94.6)
    Forte: 111.5 (96.8)
    Sentra: 110.5 (97.4)
    Elantra: 110.4 (95.6)
    Jetta: 109.6 (94.1)
    Versa: 108.5 (94.7)

So Forte, Sentra and Elantra all top the Cruze in overall volume, and those three plus the Versa top the Cruze in passenger volume. And the Jetta is a fraction of a cube smaller inside than the Cruze.

As far as the Cruze having a "mid-sized" wheelbase, it's in the upper range for compacts these days, but compacts these days are bigger than those of a few years ago. For example, the wheelbase of the Elantra is bigger than that of the Cruze, and the Sentra's is the same. And others are within an inch or two of the Cruze's, e.g. Forte and Jetta are both over 104 inches.
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    Then the discussion name needs to be changed to "Small sedans", as anything over 110 is mid-size. Or the list needs to be changed greatly to reflect what are really compact cars.
    edited January 2011
    The Accent and Fiesta are "small sedans", also. But not compacts. Although the current Accent is considered "compact" sized by EPA interior volume numbers. But the EPA considers the Civic to be a sub-compact. Kick that one out of here!!!

Who ever said we must limit and title our discussions only based on EPA interior volume numbers? :confuse:
    Why don't we just leave things alone...I think everyone understands the cars we're talking about anyways...no need to disrupt the apple cart! This is turning into one of my favorite forums lately, so let's keep it the way it is! Thanks. :) Maybe it's because one of these cars will be sitting in my garage within the next couple of years! Yay!!! (Really wanna buy something!)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades: