Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
...Welcome to the continuation of the Lincoln LS - Part XII topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to follow the above link for additional archived posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Host
Sedans Message Board

Comments

• stanny1stanny1 Posts: 962
    January 13,2001 issue of Blue Oval News: "Off the Tire"
    "Jim Rogers,Lincoln-Mercury General Marketing
    Manager,who is an active "Edmund's Town Hall
    participant" gets involved with the members
    of that forum,if even first against the
    advice of Ford Motor Company's legal
    department."

Jim,Thanks for your Bravery!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    is our kind of guy!

To echo Stanny's comment, thanks again for being a paragon of "out-of-the-boxism" (pardon the sports-writer word inventing )in the automotive world. Any number of corporations yap about "out of the box thinking", but very few actually tolerate, let alone encourage it.

The LS program seems to cultivate it. Where do I sign?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    Don't forget you have to resubscribe to this new topic.
  • swaugerswauger Posts: 91
    Some talk about brake feel, being kind of spungy and soft, on the V8 Sport as opposed to the V6. Never having driven a V6, I can't comment about that. The pedal on my V8 Sport is a tad soft, nowhere near as bad as my SHO was, but easy to get used to and easy to modulate. I can cast no stones at the performance of the brakes, as proven yesterday when I was motoring down the interstate when the lane I was in decided to come to a complete stop because someone decided to make a rapid turn into the median for some reason. I was caught with little time to stop from 80. Fortunately I wasn't tailgating this time, but the LS hauled it down rapidly with no fuss and fine brake feel when you get past the first part of the pedal travel. Honestly, it stopped so quickly I stopped way short of the car in front, farther back than I thought I would. No dive or body motion, perfect balance.

Congrats and thanks to the Lincoln brake engineering dept!
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Posts: 420
    I have used the dealer where I purchased my LS8 sport ... Jack-Ross LM. They have two locations in the east valley. I use the Tempe Autoplex location, but they have their original facility in North Tempe/South Scottsdale on Scottsdale Road. I have been very pleased with their professionalism and thoroughness in maintaining my baby. My only gripe to date has been getting a loaner vehicle while they have mine. However, I was recently assured by the dealership manager at the Tempe Autoplex location that Jack-Ross has just significantly added to their loaner fleet to accommodate their new and younger clientele ... you know, the ones that don't live in the retirement communities! The sales manager promised that I would be given a loaner vehicle whenever I had to drop my car off, provided I call in at least 24 hours in advance. Sounds fair to me.

Covey LM has earned the President's award for what that's worth, but they are located in the central Phoenix metro area on Camelback Road and 16th street. Not terribly convenient for me. You might want to check out the Registry page at the LLSOC site where I know of at least 3 other Phoenix based members have scored their service providers. Hope it helps.
  • lolaj42lolaj42 Posts: 420
    Sorry about that, carqwiks original question was asked in post #1213 in pat 12, not 1215.
  • First off, Stan, I don't hit 3k RPM until about 82. I often hit 85 on the way to work and the car doesn't even break a sweat!

ronniepooh. I was a little vague on the web site. Here goes: there are 3 screws at the bottom of the door panel. In the bottom of the "grab handle" there is a flap. The only way that I could pry it up was to get a very thin flat head screwdriver and kind of pop up on the side closest to the interior of the car. There are 2 screws hiding under the flap. There is the obvious screw at the upper rear of the panel. There is a black trim plate around the chrome door handle. Use the same thin flathead and gently pry at the front of the trim piece, between it and the "wood" piece. It will pop out towards you. There is a screw behind the black frim piece. After that pry up on the bottom of the panel and work around to the top. You will hear what sounds like tearing, that's OK, it's just the plastic retainers releasing. That should do it. While you're there, replace those stupid, weak, lousy,speakers. If you need more info, feel free to send an e-mail to me @ ezaircon4jc@netscape.net or ezaircon@yahoo.com
  • smwls8smwls8 Posts: 103
    On New Year's day I attempted to crank my 2000 LS 8 to start my 640 mile trip from Atlanta to Miami. It was 24 degrees at my Parent's home, so I knew the car may be a little harder to start, but nothing like what happened. The engine made a very different sound when I turned the key, almost like the starter was not engaging the flywheel. I released the key and tried it again, but it still made the odd sound as though the starter was spinning but the engine was not turning over. I continued to re-try to crank the car, and after several minutes of turning the motor over the v-8 began to occasionally "fire", as though it was trying to crank. After several more attempts the engine fired consistently enough that I released the key. The engine was firing but running extremely rough. The odor of gasoline was very strong in the cabin and the idle was still very rough. At this point I have still not touched the accelerator at all, as the computer controlled fuel injection should handle a cold start. After 4-5 minutes the idle began to smooth out, I put the car in d5 and rolled out of driveway
    Long story short, I made the 640 mile trip in 8 hours and averaged about 22 mpg. This rough starting incident was isolated and has not happened since, althought the car is not subjected to cold temperatures here in Miami. Any ideas?
  • akrusakrus Posts: 13
    smwls8:
    In Lincoln LS XII, I posted a message (#818) in which I describe the exact same problem that you had. My friend (service manager at local Lincoln dealer) described it as having to do with the 'cold start procedure'. Look at that message for a little more detail as to his explanation. My car has done that once and never again. He claims that it is a common problem that they see at the shop, not just with the LS', but other Lincoln and Ford products.

Albert
  • chartrandchartrand Posts: 139
    Mine wouldn't start over the Christmas holidays. It was 36 degrees out but the car was in the garage.
    Same starter not engaged sound and strong smell of gas after it finally fired. Took a good 5 minutes of repeated tries before it started. Got a sinking feeling in my stomach that my $40 I baby might be just another Ford.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    I read your reply, but don't quite follow.

Given the choice between A & B, which would you choose?

Ratios
    -----------------
    Gear A B
    ------ -------- --------
    First 3.25 4.33
    Second 2.44 3.25
    Third 1.55 2.07
    Fourth 1.00 1.33
    Fifth 0.75 1.00

Rr Axle 3.58 2.69
  • Didnt want to sound like I was bashing the llsoc.com site, because I definitely wasn't. Thats a great site for LS owners. To ezaircon4jc, thanx for posting here the detailed info on the door panel removal steps. It is greatly appreciated.

PS. Is this hard-to-start issue that several have complained of exclusive to the V8's? The proven Duratecs dont seem to have this problem, unless I've missed a post or two. Also seems like some of the issues that the PCM reflashes address are more pronounced in the V8's than in the V6's. Again, that could just be my perspective.
  • wkamwkam Posts: 14
    The battery pass through for the LS is located behind the Passenger A-pillar lower trim panel. This positive lead from the battery connects to the starter with a pass through bolt on the engine compartment side. This might be a recall issue but the service mechanic found the bolt shorting against the sheetmetal, killing my electrical system and my dead as a doornail battery. After he replaced the cable in the engine compartment, I haven't experienced any new electrical problems.

In the LS Workshop manual, it states that the standard corporate protocol (SCP), an unshielded twisted pair cable, networks your ABS, audio control module (ACM), driver door module (DDM) which controls the windows, locks, keyless entry, and communicates with the driver seat module (DSM) that controls the power seat and mirror memory, dual automatic temperature control (DATC), instrument cluster module (ICM) which also controls the passive anti-theft system (PATS), front electronic module (FEM) and (REM) that controls your interior and exterior lighting and wiper system, powertrain control module (PCM) which controls the engine and others, RESCU, and .steering column lock module (SCLM) for manual transmission models.

If you wish to experience all of these modules shutting down one at a time like I have while driving home at night, short out your battery cable. :( Definately pissed me off.

Wes
  • I experienced the same thing dooring the holidays... The car would not start.... It took about 5 minutes, but just like everyone, have not had a problem since. The LS apparently does not like the cold weather!

Regards,

Airwolf1000
  • wkamwkam Posts: 14
    The battery pass through for the LS is located behind the Passenger A-pillar lower trim panel. This positive lead from the battery connects to the starter with a pass through bolt on the engine compartment side. This might be a recall issue but the service mechanic found the bolt shorting against the sheetmetal, killing my electrical system and my dead as a doornail battery. After he replaced the cable in the engine compartment, I haven't experienced any new electrical problems.

In the LS Workshop manual, it states that the standard corporate protocol (SCP), an unshielded twisted pair cable, networks your ABS, audio control module (ACM), driver door module (DDM) which controls the windows, locks, keyless entry, and communicates with the driver seat module (DSM) that controls the power seat and mirror memory, dual automatic temperature control (DATC), instrument cluster module (ICM) which also controls the passive anti-theft system (PATS), front electronic module (FEM) and (REM) that controls your interior and exterior lighting and wiper system, powertrain control module (PCM) which controls the engine and others, RESCU, and .steering column lock module (SCLM) for manual transmission models.

If you wish to experience all of these modules shutting down one at a time like I have while driving home at night, short out your battery cable. :( Definately pissed me off.

Wes
  • I've had service completed at Jack Ross in Scottsdale and at Fiesta in Mesa. There is no comparison. JR in Scottsdale was horrible, very unprofessional regarding times, call backs, estimates, general knowledge of a new car.

Service at fiesta in Mesa has been just the opposite, very professional, putting me in a loaner renter if the car had to stay, good about call backs and time estimates. They also have a service to give you a ride home during certain times of the day, and a pretty comfortable waiting room.

As Chris (lolaj42) notes above he has good experiences at the other Jack Ross dealer in Tempe.
  • drolds1drolds1 Posts: 247
    My son, who works for the LM dealer that I use, called me this morning all excited. When he arrived for work this AM, on the lot there was a black '01 Sport with a ground effects package, chrome wheels, chrome exhaust tips and mesh grille (front and rear, I think).

They are planning to put this on the showroom floor and offer it for sale. Apparently, they have struck a deal with an aftermarket outfit.

I'm anxious to see what this looks like and to find out what they're adding to the price. It'll be interesting to see if this takes off. I'll post further details as they become available.

Who'd a thunk it!? Usually, their add-ons are SIMCON tops for TC's and Grand Marquis. We've come a long way baby!
  • About two weeks ago near the Capital Beltway (Central Avenue) I saw a silver LS going in the opposite direction with the full kit. My first impression was: I didnt like it. I liked a couple of the ones on the Web, but I didnt like this one. Im sure it costs thousands to purchase/paint/install, and IMHO, from what I saw, unlike some factory or really good aftermarket packages (ie AMG for Mercedes or //M for BMW), this kit did not really blend and flow well with the LS's lines, imho. The front spoiler looked good, but I hated the rear deck wing, and the side skirts didnt really integrate that well to me.

Just my thoughts. Sorry, I have no idea which company manufactured the kit I saw. I still say the best bang for the buck visually for the LS would be a set of nice forged 18 inch rimsin the proper width/offset (Speedline or Fiske come to mind) and a nicemedium charcoal window tint.
  • ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Posts: 782
    Don't forget to join in on the aftermarket performance parts discussion in the LLSOC Chat room Sunday, Jan. 21 at 4:00pm EST, 3:00pm CST, 2:00pm MT, 1:00PST with Leavy Morgan, the Spirit of Detroit MotorSports President. Leavy is currently assessing performance parts needs for the Lincoln LS and our input will be very helpful for him in determining which areas to focus on first. He has some excellent ideas and has access to a chassis dynamometer to be able to tell us what works and what doesn't.

If you need more info. on how to access the chat room email me at: brian.gowing@llsoc.com

Brian
  • I am having to replace my tires on my LS with sports package. Does anyone have a suggestion on what brand to purchase? Help would be appreciated.