Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln LS

Comments

• Options
    joelincolnjoelincoln Member Posts: 100
    Brian,
    Great video! And the perfect accompanying music to boot. Do you have a version of the file with the actual sound of the car? I'd love to hear that engine and suspension during a real workout.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    Honestly gang. This habit is really bad for my work job. I have to get more creative with the way I pretend to be working when I'm talking on the board!

Actually Joe I have the original video with the sounds. You'll hear the engine but not much suspension (tire) sounds. I did have the windows open but the suspension works so well you don't hear any tire screeching. The Michelin Pilots don't talk much anyway but I was surprised that they and the Firestones didn't complain much.

Now you will hear my and twosctrjns chuckling mightly to ourselves and a hearty "Yeah!" and the end of the run!

I can put the full sound effects version out on the site this week.

Brian
  • Options
    ronniepoohronniepooh Member Posts: 339
    Hey. You guys have spoken of the greathandling and great suspension, but what is the general consensus of the 17 inch Firehawk tires when they were being put to the test? Did they meet or exceed your expectations? What sort of pressures were you guys running?
  • Options
    reneleblancreneleblanc Member Posts: 144
    I did about 8 laps of the .7 mile autocross with our LS-8 Sport. I never tried turning the AdvanceTrac off, so I was probably sheltered from some of the slipping and sliding that would otherwise have occurred, but I never felt any problems with the Firehawk tires, nor did I ever feel the AdvanceTrac was doing anything intrusive to limit my lap times. I'm probably not experienced enough with this type of driving to be capable of going faster with the AdvanceTrac disabled.

For all the fun it was, I didn't really want to be taking out cones with the paint on the front or sides of my beloved LS, so I was keeping within my envelope of control, as I have almost always done during my 50+ years of motorcycle riding (That stuff is only fun when you stay alive and don't hurt yourself).

In real world fairly spirited driving on all sorts of road surfaces, both wet and dry, the Firehawks (AND our LS) have always exceeded my expectations.

I havn't had the opportunity to try them in the snow, although having lived near Chicago for 43 years I have had a LOT of experience on snow with a lot of different vehicles. Now that I live in southern Arizona, I just really don't go out of my way to get back to snow. I think snow looks great on the tops of distant mountains and on TV ;-)
  • Options
    omega8omega8 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone had the software upgrade? I'm scheduled to take my LS8-Sport in on Friday.
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    With regard to "heyjewell" prior posts 1160 & 1181 and "CWZ" post 46, is it a rendering, a concept, a reality somewhere and why does it appear on Wards Auto site that relates to the LS 3.9V8 engine: http://www.wardsauto.com/be2000/pix/lincolnls.jpg
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Brian - exactly how many cones were killed during the making of that video? The SPCOC would like to know. They're organizing a boycott as we speak.

(That's the Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Orange Cones in case you didn't figure it out)
  • Options
    I know when Jonathan was driving JRs car and I was with him, the 'stones lost all semblence of grip at the end of a rather hot lap at which point Jonathan proceeded to lengthen the course by about three car lengths! But that was after the car had probably done about 20 hot laps. When I ran the timing cars the 'stones performed as well as my Michelins, so I don't see any difference between them, from a performance standpoint.

Brian
  • Options
    I'm telling you guys that's a drawing - the license plate that says Lincoln is way too wide. Probably a concept drawing that Ward's had lying around that was done pre-production.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I was very impressed with the Firehawks on my Manual.I started out with a cold 31 lbs and the course quickly brought the pressure up to about 35 lbs.I was the only one to bring an electric pump and a dial guage as far as I could tell.After a good 1:04 run which did not indicate too low a pressure,I raised things to about 40 hot all around.One of the pros commented on how most street tires have soft sidewalls and need more pressure to prevent sidewall roll-over.After the increase in pressure,I think my traction actually deteriorated.I think that the increased pressure distorted the flatness of the tread.It just felt not as planted on the slides - maybe a little skidish and not as greasy.I do not have TC and Jonathan or Mark mentioned that it should be off.I partially credit TC for the wierd behavior of the V-6 Auto on the short course (that,and I can't drive automatics without practice).I even pumped up JR's tires but it was late in the game and I had no feedback on the result.Maybe that contributed to Jonathan's comment to JR: "What did you do to my car?".
    I really think you can run great times with the Firehawks at street pressure.A really great tire,especially at the price.Webmaster Brian did a scorching 1:00 with no special prep.
  • Options
    airwolf1000airwolf1000 Member Posts: 225
    The video Brian put out is great and I could see what he means about no sound besides the engine coming through. Remember after all tires screeching means you are scrubbing speed the wrong way...

What I am interested is in a Video of a car going through the autocross. Like I told Brian, Photo's do the Autocross no justice. Unfortunately I just took a Camera.. If a video is out there please post it so we can see!
  • Options
    jjfryejjfrye Member Posts: 4
    56 of 62 New transmission Reflash by omega8 Jan 17, 2001
  • Options
    mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)to upgrade the 2000 cars with the 2001 software. The number is 01-01-05.

Mark
  • Options
    ejanningejanning Member Posts: 1
    Greg in Wichita;

I am interested in the wood steering wheel. How much do you want for it?

Gene in Tampa
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    criticism of the LS is its lack of storage compartments...apparently the room would be there (door compartments, space behind the front seats, etc) but Lincoln either did not care or just never even considered the need for storage space. Does anyone know if there are plans to design in such spaces in the future?...I know everybody wants to know about gas mileage, horsepower, 0-60, and all that, but if you have to leave all your stuff on the seats instead of compartments, it could be an inconvenience...further, designing in the spaces in door panels and such would only use space that is being poorly used at present...any plans to make these small, yet very useful, modifications?
  • Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    I may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but I thought the revs per mile were VERY close on the 16" vs. 17" wheel. At Tire Rack, they show about a 35-45 rpm difference on a Yokohoma tire. Does anybody know what the allowable % difference is and still have an "accurate" speedo? Just curious. I kinda wanted to go to a 225/55/16, and yes, I talked to Jonathan, and he STRONGLY advised against any size changes.
  • Options
    marsha7, having had the door panel off a couple of times, I can tell you, that space isn't wasted. There must be 100lbs (well, almost) of sound deadening directly behind the "map pockets." Personally, I'll give up some storage for a quiet ride. Now, as for the glove box.......
  • Options
    drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    The topic came up at LS Mania. They are planning a redesigned center console. There will be an electric parking brake. This should free up some space in that area. Can't comment on the door pockets and glove box. I forgot if this is planned for '02 or '03. I'm not sure, but I believe Dick Cupka indicated that there would be a "freshening" for '02½. Nothing radical that would render the current design obsolete, though.
  • Options
    What do you mean "electric parking brake" ???

Joe
  • Options
    It will be an electronically activated parking brake. Basically, replace the cables and messy bits honking up the space in the console with a parking brake that is essentially a giant switch to activate the mechanical parts. The brake is still the same. It's just activated electronically.

This will free up some much needed console space that is now being occupied by the parking brake mechanism. The glove box is also being freed up if you take the indash CD changer option. Between those two changes that gives you a decent increase in storage space.

Brian
  • Options
    lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    When I checked my tire pressure using my dial gage first thing in the morning, before leaving the Marriott parking lot, my tires were uniformly reading 26 psi. I had set the pressure the previous morning in Phoenix at 30 psi. I can only assume the drop in pressure is related to the altitude differences between Irvine and Phoenix. In any event, the Jackson Dawson folks did not add air to my tires when we arrived at LM Headquarters, and I never thought to check them again until the Sunday morning before returning to Phoenix (still 26 psi).

My impression of the 17 inch Firehawks is generally favorable. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I was bit perplexed with the way the Advance Track traction control affected the handling. Not that I didn't like it mind you. The most prominent surprise I had was the significant retarding of the throttle input while exiting the right hand turn immediately before the long, high-speed portion of the track. When I applied the throttle in the turn, the car started to slide a bit, but then the Advance Track kicked-in and retarded the throttle right at the beginning of the high-speed section of the track. I was at least 20 feet down the straight portion before I felt the acceleration surge begin (mike43nc can attest to this, as we was riding shot-gun). I suppose if you're on a mountain road with wet road surfaces, this could be a good thing, but if you're looking for a little four-wheel drift action, Advance Track should probably be turned-off. I have rarely heard an audible indication from the Firehawks, but I felt as though they were loosing a bit of adhesion after multiple, consecutive runs through the course. No doubt due to the heat build-up. Before this event, I don't think I ever noticed the Advance Track kicking-in during my spirited romps through the Arizona mountains, but I used this opportunity to push the limits a bit more than I otherwise would. I don't think that the Advance Track is overly intrusive, but it certainly needs to be "factored in" if you're really pushing it. There's my 2 cents worth of commentary.

(Brian, marvelous job on the video, but after watching it, I can assure you, your course was layed out differently from the one I was on)
  • Options
    jimmybob1jimmybob1 Member Posts: 5
    If you suspect your engine is flooding, use maximum throttle whilst cranking the engine. There is an inbuilt strategy fix in the engine management software where the PTEC module detects the 100% throttle opening and switches off the fuel injectors, thus allowing the fuel to be dispersed and the engine to run as ignition conditions become favorable.
  • Options
    drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    Finally got to see the video. Great fun. Now that's an amusement park ride I'd wait on line for again. Even though I only drove the gymkhana course, it still enabled me to recreate the fun. I'm still getting mileage out of LS Mania. I'm hoping the glow doesn't fade until the next event. I called my son in to see the video and he put in his reservation for the next event. I also enjoyed reading your and John's thoughts in the newsletter. He hit it right on the head re after 5 minutes, feeling like you've known everyone all your life.

The website just keeps getting better, the registry grows, and you keep thinking of new and exciting things to keep us going- like the 1/21 chat. Thanks, again.

BTW- re the chat for 1/21, I'd like to submit my name, but I'm not sure that I'll be available that day.

Art-daydreaming about a trip to Wixom instead of working.
  • Options
    The space complaints are mostly around the console and glovebox. The phone takes up the console if you get it (I didn't for that reason plus the fact it wasn't digital). Without it I have room for small things and my sunglasses. I can actually fit a full sized brush in the glovebox (front to back right next to the changer - doesn't look like it will fit but it does). The main problem with the console (other than the parking brake) is the driveshaft tunnel (that's the price you pay for RWD).

Why don't they just put the old pedal style parking brake on the LS? That would free up a lot of space in the console.
  • Options
    Okay everyone that wants to spank a very very bad akirby for making the pedal suggestion line up to the right!
  • Options
    giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    Yes, let the spankings commence. (I hope no one suggests moving the AT shifter to the steering column.)

Having an early '00 LS8 Sport w/6-disc changer and audiophile system, I can readily appreciate the lack of storage space concerns; however, I've survived, even on long family trips. The new in-dash CD player should free up the glove box. My two biggest gripes: Center console should be made deep enough to hold some CDs and trunk usefulness would be significantly enhanced with space saving strut-type trunk hinges.
  • Options
    Thanks - I almost forgot. Let's move the shifter back to the column. Takes up too much space.

And while we're at it we can put in a bench seat, lose the tach, put on 14" wheels, solid rear axle and a 3-spd tranny. Of course, if we did all that I guess we would have to call it a Chevy.

Just having a little fun.
  • Options
    Let's not forget the coach roof !!!

:)
    Joe
  • Options
    the next person that suggests a vinyl roof and curb feelers get sent to Antartica in the winter!

akirby: ROFL on the Chevy comment!

Do agree on the comment about the console being deep enough to hold CDs and the trunk hinges. Crushed one too many tomatoes in a grocery bag one day when I forgot about the crusher hinges!
  • Options
    jnowskijnowski Member Posts: 96
    As long as we're bringing up the vinyl roof and curb feelers, we might as well throw in the "Texas Cow Horns" hood ornament!!!!
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    Could be worse than Antarctica, you could be on the long end of a snow shovel in Buffalo !!!
    Seriously, though, with the CD changer in the glove box, there is a lack of storage space. Lincoln sent out the very nice metal storage case, and I have it in the left front door compartment because it won't fit in the glove box.....OK, I'll quit whining !!
  • Options
    noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    $150 plus shipping.

Send email to Greg@Noller.net or call (316) 828-7725.

Greg
    Wichita
  • Options
    thomas_lthomas_l Member Posts: 134
    Funny that akirby made the comment about the parking brake - our '01 C240 has the p-brake in the footwell. I actually like it there better than the console lever. When it's off, the pedal is high enough not to interfere. With no factory phone, there is plentiful console space too. Actually two sections where the larger, lower one even has a/c piped in. On a similar note, the glove-box mount 6-CD gobbled up a lot of useful space as it did in the LS. Just thought you might like to hear that the LS doesn't hold the market on limited storage. About the only plus - the MB has a smaller profile radio face that makes room for 1. a small open storage area big enough for my Nokia 8860 and a box of Altoids and 2. an ashtray large enough for a nice coin collection and other small items.

I guess my point is that the parking brake idea isn't that bad and if you think about it, the radio and climate controls hog a lot of space that I never noticed before.
  • Options
    The only downside that I know of to having a parking brake that's in the footwell is if you have a manual transmission car. A lot of times I used to use the handbrake as a "helper" to keep my from rolling backwards on a hill to prevent me from slipping the clutch a lot. It makes sense on an automatic as long, as thomas_l stated, that the pedal was high enough to be out of the way.

Since I don't smoke I wouldn't have minded if they turned the area where the ashtray was into a storage bin and added an extra accesory port.
  • Options
    slowdriverslowdriver Member Posts: 41
    The lack of storage space is an issue which I think LM can address (hopefully shortly).

I have the multi-changer in the glove box, which does not leave room for anything but the owner's manual. It convienently fits under the changer. Who's idea was this?

Therefor, I store my excess CD's (a Lincoln 12 CD holder from a prior Lincoln), my cell phone and wallet under the drivers seat. At least I can get to them.

My driving sunglasses go in the pocket next to the speaker on the drivers door. There should have been a glasses holder above the console next to the dome lights, similar to the Continental, Navigator, Expedition, etc.

Speaking of lights, the single light for the rear seat is useless. My prior Lincoln had 2 reading lights which did not disturb the other passengers or interfere with the drivers rear view vision. I have a new trucklight, a 30K candlepower boat light.

As for the accessory outlets, Lincoln should fire the market researchers who decided that none were necessary. The cigar lighter barely works as an accessory outlet and only if the item being plugged in has a small head. Anything large and it interferes with the shifter. Having an electrical cable interfereing withe the shifter toprovide power to the back seat is not good design.

All these items can be easily corrected, but can Jim Rodgers and his team get the bean-counters out of the way?
  • Options
    The '01's have a factory outlet where I installed mine on my '00. Don't think that the glove box is of much use without the CD. My CD is in the trunk and I can't get much in the glove box. The OM sticks out into the door. As the door closes, it pushes the OM up at a slant so it can fit. The box is VERY shallow!
  • Options
    I've just sent off a friendly challenge to the BMW Car Club San Diego chapter. They seem to have autocrosses at Qualcomm stadium just about every month. The cost is $40 with a DOT approved helmet. I asked if we could possibly engage in a friendly round of competition against similarly equipped BMWs at their autocross events. It will be interesting to see what the response will be. If I get an positive response would any of the SoCal owners be interested in attending? The next one is scheduled for Sun. 2/18

Brian (who is searching for his long lost helmet!)
  • Options
    Brian, you should be ashamed of yourself. They have NOOOO idea what they're up against. We should at least let them see the video. NOT!!!!! Let them think that it's "just a Lincoln!" BTW, will a bicycle helmet do? It IS DOT approved :) I know I would be interested, but what with my electric bill....... I believe there is a weekly event at "The Q." It also depends on the times for me.
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I'm not so sure the cars will be that important. Some of those BMW guys are real pros at pylon courses. One of the pros at LS mania could probably beat most of us around the course with a Mustang V6.
  • Options
    How long does it take you guys to "download" the movie? I've been at it an hour now with no end in site. I did the download then couldn't open it.
  • Options
    OK, I finally got it. WOW!!!! My heart is racing!! Let's do it again!!! And GREAT music, Brian!! :)))))))
  • Options
    I wasn't suggesting that Lincoln make a noisy car, just that it seems that adequate door pockets could be in all four doors, and still insulate from the road noise...don't many other cars of similar quality and specs have door pockets??...in mine I keep a coin purse with $10 in quarters, extra napkins to use as emergency kleenex, cassettes or CDs, all the things that are not life-critical, but relatively necessary, or at least convenient and usable...very few other vehicles seem to have the same repetitive criticism as Lincoln on lack of interior space.
  • Options
    correction: "in mine I keep a coin purse" means that in my Dodge and in my Honda...I did not mean to imply that I had an LS...sorry about misleading anyone.
  • Options
    reneleblancreneleblanc Member Posts: 144
    I posted this a long time ago, but perhaps it is worthy of a repost. I fabricated a storage box that fits on top of the driveshaft tunnel between the center console and the front surface of the back seat. I showed this to some of the LS Mania attendees, and I think everybody liked it. Here are the instructions:

Find or make a box 7" x 8-3/4" x 5". This can be fairly heavy
    corrigated cardboard, or you can quite easily make one from 1/8"
    fiberboard or masonite.

Go to an auto shop that does seatcovers, carpet-covered dash boards,
    etc. and find some automotive carpet that matches that in your car
    as closely as possible.

Get a hot glue gun (they are inexpensive and available in any
    hardware store).

Cut a piece of carpet long enough to wrap all around the 4 sides of
    the box and use the glue gun to glue it on. The glue will cool if
    you put too much on all at once, so just put a few zigzags of glue
    down, then spread the carpet into it, a little more glue, spread a
    little more carpet, and so forth until you have wrapped the outer
    sides of the box.

Then cut four pieces of carpet the width of the insides of the 4
    sides of the box and about 1/2" taller than the box. Glue the sides
    on from the bottom up and with a long strip of glue across the top
    of the side, wrap the carpet up the side and over the top edge so it
    just blends with the carpet on the outside. Cut a piece of carpet
    for the bottom and glue a piece of carpet into the bottom of the
    box.

Then cut a piece of carpet for the outside of the bottom so it is
    wide enough to extend to the outside edge of the carpet that wraps
    around the outside of the box and glue this on. I used masonite for
    the top and hotglued four pieces of 3/4" x 3/4" angle aluminum in a
    rectangle to the inside of the top of the box so they just slide
    snuggly down inside the carpeted inside of the box.

Then I glued a piece of carpet to the top of the box top so the
    edges wrap around and under the bottom edge just up to the alumninum
    rectangle structure. The top slides down and stays quite securely,
    yet is easy to pull off to open the box.

This box will fit quite tightly behind the center console on top the
    drive shaft hump and up against the center of the rear seat. It
    looks as if it were made there by Lincoln. It is quite easily
    reachable from either the driver's or passenger's seat and holds
    about as much stuff as an ordinary glove box would in a 'normal'
    car.

This simple enhancement has totally compensated for the loss
    of storage space in the normal glovebox due to the 6-CD changer.
    It uses space that normally isn't used by anything else and doesn't
    interfere with the comfort of rear seat passengers. I think Lincoln
    should sell these as an option for $29.95 ;-)
  • Options
    slowdriverslowdriver Member Posts: 41
    The reference to a new light is for a Trunk Light, not a trucklight.
  • Options
    Um, Bob. If you own a Honda and a Dodge and your profile says that you're shopping for an Audi, whacha doin' in here? Are you being swayed away from that German front driver into a LS? Be careful, a test drive might leave you wondering about your choice.

Actually there are quite a few cars that are short on interior storage space. Let's see, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Miata, BMW Z-3 and M-3, and certain Audi coupes, from what I remember come to mind. While the LS is in a different class of car, there are things to be said for other things besides storage space. I'm not crazy about the lack of space either. But I don't think it's fair to say that Lincoln is the only one with this problem. And as Rene so nicely pointed out it is easy to resolve.
  • Options
    desertguy's right, of course. Most autocross courses are set up to reward smooth driving and usually equalize horsepower for handling to some degree or another. I remember a Lotus Super Seven blowing the complete doors of a Porsche Turbo back in the 70's, to the amazment of the Porsche pilot. The lighter, better horsepower to weight ratio and better balanced car usually came out the winner.

That's why I think we could stand a chance against some, and I repeat, some of the newer BMW autocross pilots that have 5-series. Hell, I think the pros could probably have beaten all of us driving a Hummer! It was fun watching them.

The SD BMW club has pro drivers that go out on the course with you. So that sounded pretty good to me. Still waiting to hear back from them. They may still be laughing over the email. Then again, that bunch is as car savvy as we are so you never know.......
  • Options
    jnowskijnowski Member Posts: 96
    I agree that the glovebox mounted CD player trashes useful storage space. However, (I have the in dash CD6 unit), I find that I have more than enough storage space for all the essentials necessary while driving. I really think that, if you don't have the glovebox changer, and you are still short on storage space, then you have way to much "junk" in the car. IMHO
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I used to "Q" in my car with the San Diego Asebring Assoc in the mid 70's.We also used the Convair lot in Kearny Mesa (gone now).I still have my Snell helmet,in fact I brought it to Irvine but was surprised they weren't required.
    I'll plan on going down to the "Q" on the 18th for a look at the Bimmer Boys in action.
    I have a feeling most of the cars running will be 3 series.I doubt many 5's will be out.When I slolomed in the 70's,I can't remember any 4 door cars racing and there was a wheelbase limitation.Of course,in the "old days",4 doors weren't very sporty.I campaigned a 1974 Toyota Corolla SR-5 with lots of engine and suspension mods.It was my daily driver and the mods put me in a class where I was competing with trailered Triumphs and MGs.I was the only Toyota there and would finish 3rd to 9th out of 25-30 cars.Ah,the smell of burnt Castrol still comes to mind.But I'll make a point to check out the competition.Keep in mind the Bimmer Boys have deep pockets and an even deeper parts catalog to delve into.We have to run stock.Brian, please ask your contact if they have a web site and if they have classes and what class we would run in? Stanny1,who is just salivating at the thought of taking out their yuppie timing equipment.
  • Options
    garthmangarthman Member Posts: 42
    This video is about 23 Mb in size. The best method to view it on a slower connection is to snag the zip file then play it once you have it on your hard drive. It's well worth it and will bring back some of the excitment experienced while driving the track(s).

I also enjoyed how Brian did the sound track "oh yea", how sweet it is.

Reneleblanc, I enjoy all your posts, you have a distinct way to explain a proceedure that keeps the matter on track.

Is anyone looking for a Microsoft MCSE networker?