Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS

Comments

• lkuoslkuos Member Posts: 11
    You said, "will it induce any problems (such as an, ugh, lower than 140 mph limiter)?" in your post above. Does this mean that your LS can reach 140mph? Mine is a V6 w/ sport package. It tops out at about 126mph. Is mine the odd LS or is yours?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    As an old-time auto aficionado, I just love hanging around these boards and listening to others opinions and thoughts, occasionally offering my own (hopefully worthwhile) questions, answers and comments...right now I own a Dodge Intrepid 2000, but I hope to trade it on something in the next year or two...some annoying problems, intermittent in nature, but annoying as hell...also had problems with my 98 Buick Regal...so, will probably never buy GM or Chrysler for the next 100 years...have been an import fan for many years, but tried American and not really happy...I have my opinions about American union workers (UAW) but no need to start a war here...part of me is impressed with Lincoln LS, part of me gets haunted by union labor that makes it...if I was to buy one, would it be well made, or become "strike three" in my purchases of American made autos...just do not have the money to gamble/speculate, yet the car is impressive (I keep reading about lack of storage space, and I like all those neat little compartments, which, by the way, there are ample of them in my little Prelude, but no room in the LS? American lack of ingenuity?)...also dream about Audi A6, 2.7t/4.2, Lexus GS300/400; Jag S-type; Acura TL-S/RL, and others...hence I am all over these boards...might test drive an LSV8 sport, but I like reading these posts that talk about build quality, warranty service, tranny problems that don't get fixed, etc., keeps my antennae up for that "union mentality" problem that hangs like a chip on my shoulder...sorry to take so much time to answer a simple question...:)

Bob
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Page 138 of my owners manual states: "use 2 (second)to start-up on slippery roads." This is nothing new as I've had other cars when you start in "2" the car does not use 1 or low. The manual is not as clear for third as it only states that "transmission operates in third gear only." I have not tried this from startup.
  • jnowskijnowski Member Posts: 96
    Hi Rene, I owned both '70 and '72 Ford vehicles with the C4 & C6 auto trannies respectively. They both would start in 2nd gear if the gearshift was put in 2nd gear position. I think that this may be a standard Ford auto tranny strategy.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    I have the non-SST, V6, non-sport. My selector is labeled 1,2,3,D4, and a left jog to D5. What ever gear you have selected, 1, 2, 3, is the only gear available. That is, if you have 3rd selected, you will start and stay in 3rd. D4 is 1-4, and D5 is 1-5. So the only "difference" is that you have the gate and a "slap" shift, while I have a "regular" automatic shift pattern. Hope this clears things up.
  • swaugerswauger Member Posts: 91
    "You said, "will it induce any problems (such as an, ugh, lower than 140 mph limiter)?" in your post above. Does this mean that your LS can reach 140mph? Mine is a V6 w/ sport package. It tops out at about 126mph. Is mine the odd LS or is yours?"

I think the V6s are limited to 125 beause of the tires on them, I believe it's been discussed here in the past (does your V6 sport have V rated tires, does the sport V6 have 17 inch wheels? I've never seen one at the dealers here). I have a 00 V8 Sport, and I've been to 130 now. I was backing off at that speed, running out of road, but there was no sign of a limiter. Haven't had enough road to try for 140 yet. It was still pulling strongly and accelerating at that speed though. I don't frequently get the opportunity to open it up much to these speeds, however I hate the idea of a limiter no matter if I never get the opportunity to go that fast or not, on general principle.

I was truly amazed at how stable the car is at high speed, my 88 Stang at that speed was really nervous and wandered all over the road, which really kept your attention. The aerodynamics, suspension design, and especially the variable ratio/variable boost steering (which is an outstanding steering system) really show their worth at high speeds.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Rene:

I think you said:
    "If this weren't the case, then there wouldn't really be any difference between the non-SST and the SST transmission except for the gear selection lever arrangement."

That's the way I see it. I had the sport package ordered for the sole reason of getting the SST. Then I learned of the minimal differences, and did not care for the sport suspension & full-size spare, so I changed to the non-sport V8.

It's clear to me that the SST offers something of value to some drivers. Also, I think it's important to those considering a purchase to understand the differences.
  • thomas_lthomas_l Member Posts: 134
    The closest I've been to the top end in mine was a trip down I-75 from Chattanooga at 90-120 with a couple other travelers. I was surprised at how crisp and responsive the LS was at that speed.

Once upon a time, I had an 83 Mustang GT and topped it out at 140. I agree with swauger about the handling - mine had a ground effects package that sucked it down to the road real tight at >80 but the heavy front made lane changes or other manuevering pretty twitchy at high speed.
    Although it's not the slickest simulated manual shift, I kinda like having to deliberately move the lever over to get manual action. The forward and back is pretty intuitive and reminds me a little of the ratchet shifter in an old Z-28 I had. It beats guessing with a regular shift pattern and is not likely to get accidentally bumped. Our C240 has an autostick in it - the shifter has PRND only then you have to move it left for downshift and right to upshift. While winding through the mountains a few weekends ago, it felt a bit awkward and yes, I was having to glance at the display to check current gear on occaision. I have accidentally bumped it a time or two and only noticed it when I felt it wasn't shifting right and looked down to see the display showing something other than "D". Fortunately I would have to accidentally bump the stick 4 times to toggle down to low so it wasn't a really big deal.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    There is (at least one) top speed limiter - and I hit it during my chassis dynomometer run last year.
    It is (on my 2000 V8 Sport - first re-flash only) at 142/143 mph.
    Created a rather interesting effect - and output graph...
    Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who has not had an opportunity to drive this fast in 'real life' since the 1970s
    2022 X3 M40i
  • ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    At the Friday night stomp it was mentioned that the only speed limited LSs were the v-6 without the sport package. This is only there due to the H tire ratings. And that was the only reason that they were limited. All other are not supposed to be speed limited except by power output. If there was a speed limiter at 142/143 this would probably be due to the V rating on the tires. A Z rated tire would be needed for these speeds.

Though it does open up all sorts of interesting chip possibilites for removing any speed limiter, doesn't it?

Ray do you have a way of scanning that output graph and sending it to me? And, by the way, how did you happen across a chassis dynamometer?

Brian (dying to know the details)
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Brian - Have you done anything furthur re: your mufflers? Still waiting for someone to take the first plunge.
  • scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    From much earlier Parts of this board I recall reading that there is a speed limiter at 126 mph for the V6 and non-sport V8s, and 140 for the V8 Sport, in both cases due to the tires, as Brian suggested. Most all the magazines I've read report 142-143 as top speed for the V8 Sport. One contributor to this board reported that, at 142 mph, he hit the limiter "hard". Also, an earlier post mentioned a company claiming to sell a "chip" for our cars that will remove the speed limiter. Hard to imagine anyone brave enough to introduce "third world" software into their cars' control systems. And I won't touch the subject of needing more top end.

Scott (open to correction on all of the above)
    I haven't installed anything yet. I've decided to create a Project LS-GT under the auspices of LLSOC that will serve as a test bed for aftermarket components. Which means I can be the guinea pig for everyone else. That is, anything Leavy hasn't touched yet, which is probably very few! To this end I talked to Magnaflow about requesting their assistance in creating a cat-back system or mufflers for the LS. They are pretty close to where I work so I hope they answer yes. The letter to them is going out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll hear something within a week. If they are enthusiastic about the possibility of reaching our wallets then we'll set up the development effort. It will all be documented and published on LLSOC. And yes I am trying to get them to do it gratis for some potential market share.

Thought up Project LS-GT the other day going to work. The goal is going to be a 20-30% increase in performance(horsepower/torque and handling) without sacrificing any of the intrinsic qualities of the car that we all love such as the weight distribution or the ride and handling characteristics. Additional fuel economy would be a added bonus, but I don't expect to see any increase and hopefully not a reduction either. There won't be any boy-racer components, so no wings, side exhausts or for that matter, really loud exhaust components. I will be utilizing vendors that can commit to the quality components that we expect for our cars, such as a stainless steel exhaust system.

I'm also not planning on lowering the car. I wasn't too thrilled with JR slightly tail-happy car at Mania(Sorry JR no insult intended!). Not to mention that, strictly from a personal standpoint, if I lowered the car I couldn't pull into my driveway.

Based on the responses from the vendors will determnine how long this project will take. I expect that it will probably extend over a year, in incremental stages. If anyone is interested in lending a hand or knows vendors that would be interested in getting into our market send them my way. My wife already thinks I'm crazy anyway!

Brian(who know is wondering what he REALLY is getting into!)
    I've added a column sort capability to the Registry. By clicking on any underlined column heading you will be able to sort the Registry by that column. The only exception is on the dealer sorts. Other than sorting on their name, clicking on a dealer column, such as the dealer city, will always return the dealer in that category that has the highest rating. For example, clicking on original dealer city will give you a sort of dealers by city and the highest ranked dealers for that city will show first. That gives new importance to making sure that your dealer information is filled in and up-to-date. This will be a good way to tell what dealer is providing a quality level of commitment.
  • jdddndjdddnd Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a new 2000 LS purchase (incentives are $3,000 and I am buying under "A" plan for Ford employees and family; I do not work @ Ford). Does anyone have knowledge of whether the cell phone on the LS allows for the use of a phone other than the one they provide? - or can be converted without too much difficulty. It does not look like the cord will match my Nokia.

Also - Should a new car buyer be conserned with a "new" car that has 250 miles logged on it? Is there a legal limit to the milage on car for it to be considered new?

There are two cars on the lot, one is approximately $1,000 less than the other on the BASE PRICE (same car; V8). Anyone know why that might be?

For V8 LS, non sport, moon roof, Adv trac, Alpine Ste, heated seats, cell phone @ $31,000 is there any reason why I should hesitate?

Any comments appreciated. I need to act soon.
  • scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    Assuming, of course, that you like the car, $31k sounds very good. As for the mileage, don't know the legalities, but I can sympathize. My 2000 (bought this past October) had 150 miles on it, the result of test drives, according to the salesman. Practically no doubt that somebody drove my car hard before I bought it, which I truly hate to think about. But that could be true for a car with 50 miles on it as well. The only way to avoid that for certain is to order one, and you won't get the kind of deal you're talking about.

Come back & let us know how it turns out.
    Scott
  • reneleblancreneleblanc Member Posts: 144
    Having an SST transmission, I never read the owner manual section on the non-SST automatic. My apologies for my ignorant assumptions. Now, I see the differences between SST and non-SST are really mostly in the shift control layout, with only very subtle differences in the actual operation.

non-SST
    D5: Car will start in 1st, and shift up through all gears, including 5th.
    D4: Car will start in 1st, and shift up through 4th.
    3: Car will start and stay in 3rd gear.
    2: Car will start and stay in 2nd gear.
    1: Car will start and stay in 1st gear.
    Manual downshifts restricted to safe engine speeds. For example, if you manually
    shift from D5 to 3, the shift will only take place after the car has slowed enough to
    avoid exceeding redline in 3rd gear.

SST:
    D5: Car will start in 1st, and shift up through all gears, including 5th.
    D4: Car will start in 1st, and shift up through 4th.
    Manual Mode:
    o From stop, car automatically starts in 2nd gear.
    o If you give more than 60% throttle, it will shift to 1st and stay there unless you stop or
    manually 'bump+' to shift up to 2nd.
    o You may 'bump+' to step up through the gears and 'bump-' to step down through the gears.
    o If the transmission was forced to shift to 1st when starting up, you will be able to select 1st again manually, as long as you don't stop (essentially) first.
    o As with the non-SST, downshifts are allowed only if speed won't cause engine to overrev.
    o Transmission will stay in selected gear until you manually change it or slow to very slow
    speed, in which case it will shift back to 2nd gear.

Summary:
    Both the non-SST and SST transmissions provide almost the same degree of manual control, but use a different shift-lever control scheme.

The SST provides a somewhat more uniform way to invoke manual gear changes, since it doesn't use a different mechanism between D4 and D5 than it does for other transitions. It is a very natural mechanism for motorcyclists!

The non-SST allows a manual shift to 1st, which the SST does not, except for mashing the accelerator while in 2nd.

Final assessment? I don't think we can go very far wrong with either choice. The differences are mostly a matter of ergonomics, and I expect most of us could adjust happily to either transmission (as long as we keep it well trained ;-)

Sorry if I've beaten this one to death... I'll move on now; I promise... :-)
  • mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    Boy, go away for a weekend Boy Scout campout(0 degrees F in a tent!) and come back to 60+ posts!

There has been a lot of correct and a few not so correct posts on SST vs. non-SST operation. Let me add my $0.02.

In a SST car the car will start in 1st gear when the shifter is in D4 or D5. It will start in second in SST.

A non-SST will start in 1st in D4 and D5 and shift on exactly the same schedule as the SST car in both of these modes.

The non-SST will start and operate only in first in the 1 postion, second in the 2 position, and third in the 3 position. The execptions to these three rules are if you shift into these postions at a speed that's too high. Then it will stay in a higher gear until the speed comes down. For example, if you move the shifter to 1 at 80 MPH (and I do this all the time!) you will get an immediate shift from 5 to 4, then as the speed comes down it will shift to 3, then 2, then finally 1 at the appropriate speeds.

Mark
    If you don't have any performance complaints with your transmission don't bother to get it reflashed. The new software is really intended to get the "problem" transmissions to act like they are supposed to. Most transmissions already have quick enough engagements, so if you don't notice a problem now you won't notice an improvement with the new software.

Mark
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    My LS8 Sport, build 9/99, has always had transmission engagement issues. I've done one reflash. Since then I've had service dept write it up but they always say it is normal. Once I first saw the TSB (01-01-05) I contacted my local dealer, Stan Olson Lincoln, Omaha, NE. The service advisor keeps telling me he has yet to get notification from Lincoln.

I spoke with him Saturday (1/20/01) as I had to drop the car off for an airbag light problem. I asked him to write up the engagement issue again. Tim again told me no word on TSB. So he can't do the TSB now. Has official notification gone out to all dealers?
    Boy you guys are missing out on a great chat!

Brian
    It was released 1/12/01 to the dealers.
    I looked up TSB 01-01-05 on the same online system the dealers use. While they may not get a letter that tells them the TSB is there, they can look it up by number. I did it, it is there.

Mark
  • amengualamengual Member Posts: 33
    I just ordered my '01 LS V8 with the sport package and advance trac. I know that the LS comes standard with ABS & Diveline. What is the difference between that and the Advance Trac?

Hector
  • lkuoslkuos Member Posts: 11
    According to post #162, my V6 sport is not supposed to be limited at 126mph. I have the same V rated tires as the V8 sports do. Does anybody else have a V6 sport out there? If so, what top speeds are you all getting? Do you guys think that my top speed limiter can be "fixed" at the dealer? Hope you guys don't think I'm some crazy speed freak. I rarely ever go that fast, but if I could I would not want to be limited.
    Don't think the dealer can "fix" the limiter. And, from what I heard, didn't think there still was a limiter on the sport models. But that is hearsay, so what may actually be, could be two different things. It could also be a change applied to later models too.

AdvanceTrac controls all four wheels whereas TractionControl only controls the rear wheels. AdvanceTrac checks the yaw and slip angles of all the wheels and applies braking force when it senses one of the four wheels is slipping. Traction Control only applies braking to the rear wheel that is slipping.
  • reneleblancreneleblanc Member Posts: 144
    AdvanceTrac adds yaw sensors and steering sensors to provide additional braking and engine control to make corrections to prevent spin-out.
  • ronniepoohronniepooh Member Posts: 339
    Yes, my V6 Sport Auto has a speed limiter that Ive hit at least 2 or 3 times, at around 124-126mph. Its definitely a limiter, as the engine is pulling pretty strong up until that point.
  • drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    Wow! Wasn't able to check posts since yesterday AM. Certainly has been an active weekend.

gschwartz-sorry for not doing better research on my SST term paper. Not a new problem for me. I'll have to take a C+ on this project. After the extensive discussion that has ensued since yesterday, the only thing I can add is that once under way at a decent speed, you can "lock" the SST in 4th or 5th. I believe the traction control is "full range", so this helps if you hit a slippery spot while accelerating at speed. It won't downshift. I got to test this today, since the NY tri-state area just got hit with another snow storm. This was preceded by a few hours of sleet and freezing rain. The traction control performed admirably under these conditions (as long as the road is flat) The remnants of the last big one from 3 weeks ago were finally fading and I was able to wash the car last week. Oh,well.

As if that wasn't bad enough, my driver's side seat heater failed today. I guess I'll be seeing the dealer this week. Just in time to get the revised element mentioned by Dick Cupka in #110.

Sorry to have missed the chat. Hope to see the transcript on LLSOC.

Brian, how do you raise the front of your car for oil changes? I can't get it up my ramps because the lower valence hits part way up. Do you use a floor jack? If so, where do you place the jack?

BTW- in an earlier post, I mentioned an LS with an add-on ground effects package at the dealer where my son works. I haven't seen it in "the flesh", but my son brought home some pictures. It is BUTT-UGLY! In fact, it's so hideous that even the dealer is making some changes. The grille insert looks like a chrome or stainless panel with holes punched in it. Very gaudy. They are replacing it with the stock grille and replacing the rear wing with something a little less overdone. The price is $2500 and also includes some interior trim pieces,i.e, brushed aluminum on the dash and window switch surrounds. We'll see how fast this moves off the lot. They have it right out in front.
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    Sorry to hear you have joined the club. Ain't it grand that they fail in winter when you need them the most? What is your build date? Mileage? Is this the first failure? Make sure they don't mess anything up replacing the element. Tell 'em you're gonna look over the work done carefully.
    Thanks, Scott.

Does anyone have any comments on adapting the AS cell phone hook-up to a on Ford phone (Nokia).
    Let's try this again -

Thanks, Scott.

Does anyone have any comments on adapting the LS cell phone system hook-up to a non Ford phone (Nokia)?
  • joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    I think that the best you can do is use some of the components. Almost everyone now uses digital or dual band phones which are different from the analog phones which were installed. You can use the microphone which is on the steering column, you can use the mount which is in the console and will fit any phone (caveat-I have a Motorola startac which is apparently similar to the analog phone installed). I think the console might have been too small for my Nokia 6162, but I gave it to my wife and switched to the Startac because I liked it better. I don't think you can even use the antenna, because dual band antennas are different, but you can probably use the wiring and just have the outer part replaced, I think the wiring is universal. You will have to mount the cpu inside the front part of the console and run the wires through the console to the place the phone sits which is under the cushion, but there is a hole there to run it through. In short, there is not much you can use, but what there is will make your installation very neat. There are posts here before that deal with using the mute feature but it sounded complicated. I did not do that. Understand that I did NOT buy a car with a phone in it, I bought the components which I thought I wanted and installed them, namely the console top, and the microphone. I prefer a hidden antenna which resides inside the windshield, and I don't care to "mute" my radio, so I put a speaker in the passenger footwell. I like it and it was very simple. If the car you like already has a phone in it, I would not pay much for that feature as the plans for analog phones in this area are cost prohibitive compared to digital rates. Tell them you don't want that phone and won't pay for it, but with a close out you are probably close to their limit already.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I got a pair of the black plastic ramps (can't remember the name - Rhino maybe??) and they work great. They're longer than the metal ones I used to have and I have no problem with the valance. They're also very light and easy to move and store.
  • amengualamengual Member Posts: 33
    Joe166 - I'm still confused after reading your post (185). What does it mean that the LS is "cell phone pre-wired"? I was hoping that I could somehow attach my StarTac phone and use the speakers and microphones. Any chance that I can do that?

Hector
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Good point that I wasn't aware of. My non-SST sometimes gives me unwanted downshifts.

For example, when I want to crowd the throttle in 5-th and not get a downshift, I get the head-rocking kickdown.

Avoiding this is the biggest plus I've heard for the SST.
  • jdonneejdonnee Member Posts: 56
    One of the advantages that I have seen with my V8 Sport is when I want to pass at speeds above 65 MPH. In the normal mode, the transmission will want to kick down to 4th depending on how much gas pedal I apply. In the SST mode, it appears to stay in 5th and the pass is made based on pure torque. Frankly I like this method because there is nothing like feeling a V8 do it's thing.
    OK - I'm hooked now and see what I missed out on at Irvine. I had the only LS out of close to 100 non-Porsche entries and got a lot of surprised looks pulling onto the course. I guess most had not really seen an LS up close, never mind the impact of a Lincoln at an autocross! Because of the high turnout, I only got to do 3 runs. Sort of a bummer because it took all 3 to start feeling the handling limits and tranny control.

First run was pretty crappy - I had only walked the course and never really pushed the LS. I left the AdvanceTrac on and it was not too bad. The AdvanceTrac kept me out of the cones on some turns. I came through with a 1:18 plus two cones and a DNF for missing a couple of gates. So much for the newby run!

Second time was with AdvanceTrac off and in at 1:12 - I didn't get a good feel for handling until it was almost over.

Last run 1:09 - Finally getting the hang of steering with the gas pedal (AdvanceTrac off) and how close I can get to a turn before nailing the brakes. I also managed to control shifting a bit better but plenty of room for improvement. I discovered the ability to manually shift to 1 after having downshifted off the start. Duh. I should pay more attention to this forum.

Most of the decent drivers/cars were running 1:00 - 1:05 on this course so I felt really good about my 1:09 with zero experience beforehand. I think another two or three runs and I would have been under 1:05 without too much effort. I only got a few digital photos prior to the event during tech inspection since my photographer (Dad) is gadget-challenged and didn't take any shots with MY camera. He's good with the film camera so hopefully I will have something to scan soon. The other challenge is some video - he actually did a decent job with the camcorder on runs one and two. This week I will try to get it into data format and post a link.
    I think the factory phone was a motorola but I'm not positive. I was looking into this and so was another poster early last year. According to the wiring diagrams the cell phone and mute connections to the stereo are not normal analog that you could tap into but were digital using the same data bus architecture as the rest of the car components, which means it would be very difficult if not impossible to attach a non-factory hands-free kit. If you had the same type of phone as the factory unit you might be able to do it assuming Lincoln didn't change the interface (which they like to do - cd changers are one example). What this buys you is having the stereo mute automatically when a call comes in. You can buy a kit to do this that wires into the speaker connections but I've heard that some of these actually turn off the radio instead of just muting it - which makes sense since not all stereos have mute capability.

I put the microphone up on top of the A-pillar - steering wheel should work also. You can put the speaker up under the dash on either side - mine is on the hump behind the console but I plan to move it to the passenger side footwell. Only down side is that I have to hit the mute button to answer a call but it's not a big deal for me since I don't get that many calls.
    When I jack the car up I've also had a problem getting under the front valance, so I jack the car on the driver side jacking point just forward of the door hinges. You'll see a slot there. An advantage of doing it this way, at least for the v-8, is that the drain plug gets to be on the side that's lower so all the oil drains out. Also a hint, if you don't have a pair of Mechanix brand gloves, I'd recommend a pair. I bought a set and they provide a lot of grip for removing the oil filter, not to mention they protect my fat pinkies from getting scorched by the hot oil.

Brian
  • cwzcwz Member Posts: 72
    I saw a post requesting info on jacking points. I to do my own oil changes and tire rotations and am looking for front and rear jacking points using a floor jack not the one provided in the trunk.

ls1bmw2 - you mentioned in a post to look for a jacking point in front of the door hing and a slot, is this using the jack provided in the trunk in the slot? Since I am travelling the world and looking for LS's I do not have the chance to look under my car to see where this point and slot are that you reference.

Any thoughts on a rear jacking point?
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    I've rotated my tires about 4 times and jacked the car up using only two hydraulic jacks... this car is balanced so well. In the rear, I use the round "rubber-shoe-like" things (they look like they have tread) that are in front of the rear tires, about 10 inches in. (Its been a while... so I'm not sure of exact numbers.)

The front jack gets placed on the "back" of that structural piece that is a couple of feet in, under the driver's floorboard.

This usually leaves the opposite front tire barely touching the floor. I then simply lift that corner of the car up a little and put a support under that side.

I'm switching to Mobil 1 at 15,000 miles... can't wait.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I was going to call my dealer this morning to set up an appointment to do the transmission re-flash. Sadly, along with the reflash, the car is going to have to go into the body shop also. Some "twit" was behind my wife in traffic this past Friday, and instead of paying attention to the traffic, she was engrossed in the cell phone. My wife stopped for a car in front of her, but the "twit" didn't. You know the rest...I just don't understand why people have to try to talk and TRY to drive at the same time.
    The bumper is scuffed up, but that's all that's visible. The tire whine has taken on a different pitch since then, however, so I'm concerned that something has been knocked out alignment. We'll know soon enough.
    With regard to the TSB, I gave them the number, but they said that the mechanic has to enter a trouble description into the computer first, or something like that. I'm sure that theyll get it done, it's just that the sequence of events seems a bit skewed.
    Regarding how to jack up the car, I use a regular floor jack at the factory jack points. What I did to help, though, is take a short length of 2x4 and put a slot down the middle of it using a table saw. (or a skill saw) Then you can use the wood as a "pad" on the jack, and cradle the "pinch weld" on the car in the slot of the wood.
  • joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    I have no idea what that means. Did I say that? I will guess that it means that when they put all the wiring harnesses in the car it doesn't pay to make separate ones so they are all the same. That would mean that there are wires already bundled that could serve to connect all the components of a cell phone (cpu, phone mount, mike, speaker, antenna, etc.) without running new wires. The problem is that unless you have the same connectors you would have to spend an inordinate amount of time tracing wires to find out what to connect where. And then you have no guarantees that it actually serves the same function with the new phone. Even the microphone, which is a motorola product has a different connector than the digital hands free kit would accept so I had to have it cut and spliced to fit. Nothing really difficult, but time consuming when you are trying to avoid scratching or ruining anything. I hope this answers your question, but I would be glad to help others avoid making the same mistakes I made, so feel free to ask. I am very happy with the setup as I now have it.
    I use a 3 ton hydraulic floor jack. The slot is under the drivers door. I believe it is the factory jacking point. I agree about the balance of the car. I can jack the car up using the front jacking point and basically get the rear tire off the ground as well. Works great when I'm rotating my tires!

Brian(who is just a tad jealous of cwz-world traveler!)
  • kokerkoker Member Posts: 23
    I was able to find out the connections on the radio unit to attach a cellphone handsfree kit to the stereo. This will not be an easy job unless you are very electronically inclined.

The audio unit (at least the alpine indash 6cd) which I researched has pins on one of its connectors which include a audio mute signal and an analog audio input which gets routed to the speakers when the mute signal is held low. This would allow connection of a non-ford handsfree kit.

Many of the "professional install" full duplex handsfree kits have a "music mute" signal and a audio line out differental output which could be used to connect to the audio system. My Ericsson HF7600 kit has the correct signals but I haven't had a chance to hook it up. You would need to make a cable with the correct connectors for the audio unit and the handsfree cpu.

If you make the connections above the audio system will mute when the phone goes off hook and the audio for the phone will come out the speakers. You will not have any of the other functionality of the Lincoln factory phone.

Very few (if any) phones can hook directly up to these signals directly, you would need a handsfree kit for your Startac. I don't know if it is possible to adapt the Lincoln factory car kit to match your phone. I doubt that would be easy.
    Ok, I know it's BON so take it with a grain of salt but here's the story:

http://www.bonforums.com/babyls.htm

Draw your own conclusions. Note that it doesn't say it will use the Jag X400 (Mondeo) platform but will use the dew98 platform (shared with the new mustang perhaps?).

• stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Thanks for represnting the marque in Atlanta and showing those Bimmer owners they don't own the track. Now you have the "autocross disease". Walking the track is a great idea but I have a feeling that you had the same problem as I had in the 70's - not enough cones. So one naturally "loses" the course. We had no such problem in Irvine - Jackson-Dawson was not stingy with the cones and they left plenty for me to kill. (I especially like the tall ones at the end).Seriously, I think TC can really mess you up and I really didn't like it on the timed runs at Irvine. I'm just too used to my 2000 Manual without it. Thanks for the outstanding effort!
  • catgirl1catgirl1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with tires on the LS?