Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    Hopefully it takes more then 17" wheels to make a special. I would run my non-PHP aginist any special.:) As long as they keep the gears, exhaust, and Intake . to me that is more important.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    no the chrome 17 rims that the 03 Special uses are the same 17's that the 2002 M used . They look like S$@! on the Special
  • I have a 99 that's been the best car I've owned. Yeah I had that regulator problem, but it was fixed in two hours at the dealer, and they upgraded me to the new window motors, all four as well. The windows work fine, no noises, but ocassionally they weatherstrip still sticks. Use the windows every few days or so and that's not a problem. Just replaced the brakes at 50K and still had a little left. Tires at 45K and still had another 1/32 to go before they wouldn't pass inspection. Minor seat moving problem solved in 15 mins with new revised bolts, that I installed myself. All in all, not unheard of things on a car driven everyday. Those that are unheard of, are so minor they really pale in comparison to all the good things this car has to offer.

Don't get a Passat, get the M. You won't be disappointed.
    I too have had the window motors replaced, and that was the only time I had problems. The extended warranty and the Maintinance cost over 3.75 years has only been under $40.00. If all cars were like mine the service shops would be out of business. If mine is this good, it is hard to believe the newer ones are better. No flashing lights, tranny sensors or any other so called normal 99 problems.
  • wire2wire2 Posts: 188
    I looked at the site and you're right, they're a direct replacement for halogens lamps, i. e. no mods required.
    I still have to concur with the last FAQ which asks "is HID legal" and the answer posted is "...please check with your local authorities on questions of legality when purchasing...

FWIW, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket on this project, actually I think it's great that you've arranged a super deal for members to enjoy the benefits of HIDs. I'd just hate to hear of any negative repercussions afterwards, slight as the possibility may be.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    here in houston you can get mobil 1 synthetic changes for $28 at walmart. dino is under 20
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    uxca300m-

Man oh man!! See what happens when you ASSUME!! It's all your fault for not asking the right questions. Must be harder to open synthetic oil cans, thus the higher labor charge! Like I said- WHAT will they surprise you with next?

Christine II??? How soon we forget? beach15 had Christine II. I know you meant to say Christine III! ;-))

fastdriver

PS I THINK the "priest" left the priesthood AFTER doing the exorcism on Christine! ;-))
  • clpurnell - are you saying that Wal-Mart charges $28 for 5 quarts of oil a filter and labor. Or is the $28 just a labor charge? Mobil 1 costs just under $5 dollars a quart and a Mobil 1 filter about 10 bucks at Wal-Mart. I will have to check this out!

Sounds like a good deal if I could stomach sitting around Wal-Mart - and the culture shock - while they change my oil;)
    Not taken that way. You poised some good questions and gave me food for thought. I don't expect everyone to rubber stamp everything on the board. These are not for everyone. But we will agree that after checking out the pros and cons, along with the legalilitys, each person must make up their own minds. It is nice to have choices though.
  • Maybe it's just me, but Jiffy Lube and Wal-mart are the last places I want to take a fine car like a 300M for service. Change your own oil, save money, make sure it's done right, etc. :D
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Posts: 338
    I haven't found 1 HID bulb retrofit kit yet that is DOT approved.
    The only retrofits I know that are DOT approved are the Sylvania XENARC retrofit systems where you get a compete headlight and bulb assembly.

If a bulb is DOT approved it will be clearly labeled. If the maker waffles about it then it isn't.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Posts: 206
    Well, I can safely say that where I live the authorities have better things to do than bust people for having improperly installed or aimed HID's. I don't have to worry about car inspections like some states do. Anyways, my brother-in-law and two of my friends are local cops. They said they wouldn't pull over someone for having HID's unless they were aimed directly at the oncoming driver and even that would be near impossible to prove. They agreed that a driver would more likely get pulled over for having too dark of tint on their windows. So I guess I don't understand where the illegal thing comes in when it comes to HID's. Nearly all near luxury and luxury cars come with them now as standard or package options, and I can definitly say I've entered encountered factory installed HID's that had questionable correct aim or reflection. Is this more of an issue in Canada? (wire2)
  • I agree! - I was just suprised that someone stated that Wal-Mart charged only $28 dollars for a Mobil 1 oil change, considering the retail price for the oil and filter. Most places charge about $50 to strip the threads out of your drain plug and fill your motor with Mobil 1;)
  • Doh! Another senior moment. And I even have them on my car LOL.

Silver
  • The past two weeks I have been helping my Mom-in-law with a problem she has with her Mercury Sable. It's old but very low mileage. The dealer she uses is Bankston L-M in Dallas (recently sold to AutoNation). The personnel there are so courteous and genuinely trying to help, treating this as a warranty issue until proven otherwise. (She spent $1,000+ a year ago on the car). They "could not duplicate" the problem, but instead of blowing me off they installed a trouble-logging computer that will allow me to push a button when the problem occurs to capture info on status of various systems. The dealer not only gave me a ride home, they picked me up at home so I could pick up the car. It was washed and clean.

I'm not saying my 5* is unsatisfactory, but a little more of that kind of proactive attitude would make me feel more like a valued customer. Carl Sewell is a famous local dealer for many different makes (Lexus, Infinity, GM, etc.)and he wrote a book called "Customers for Life". Sewell has a reputation for going the extra mile to help customers with problems. People pay a premium for their cars, but have a secure feeling about after-sale service.

Silver
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    How much is the light retrofit kit? I thought I saw data like it was hundreds per side. If they're not replacing the whole assembly how can anyone justify charging that kind of money for a bulb and ballast?
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    Box on the way. I'll email you the information when I get home later tonight.
  • glennbpglennbp Posts: 327
    I echo sdmikes's sentiments here. I think the price of these kits is outrageous! HID technology is not new; it's been used for years in overseas markets and more recently here. Spending hundreds of dollars on a bulb and ballast borders on insanity IMO!
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Posts: 338
    DOT approval means the lights have been tested and conform to the lighting standards in the U.S. so they are legal for use here. Will the cops bust you for having non DOT compliant lights? Probably not, at least not yet anyway.

In case you aren't aware of it, NHTSA has been drowned by complaints about glare from all the various lights being use on vehicles. Fog, auxiliary and HID. They've been taking public statements by mail and internet for several months and will be holding hearing on this subject shortly.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

Don't be surprised if there are changes in the lighting laws as a result. One obvious one may be making sales of non-conforming aftermarket lighting illegal.

I'm hoping they'll change the outdated lighting standards but this is the U.S. Government we're talking about so I don't hold out much hope.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    I had a '99. Leased it for 3 years.

the engine speed sensors failed twice but it was an easy fix under warranty. Even without warrany it would be pretty inexpensive.

Also my A/C started acting up right before the lease ended. Probably there was a leak somewhere. I just refilled the A/C refrigerant a few times, did not feel like taking it to the dealer to find and fix the leak.

Other than that - no problems.

Unlike my current Honda-based product that required a complete transmission replacement after 6,100 miles, which took a couple of weeks to complete during which time I enjoyed the "loaner" rental Dodge Stratus.