Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    I saw a brand new Acura TL (still had the temporary permit on it) broken down on the side of the road yesterday. The radiator seems to have burst since there was steam and a huge puddle of water under it. I know this was rude but as a approached I rolled down the window, waved, then yelled "buy American". I felt bad afterward but looking back my only regret was that I wasn't driving my M at the time.

I would have paid $100 to see that car had been a Lincoln LS instead, but I'll take what I got!
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    it seems we all are in love with our M's (Emily, Lolita, Mary, Elvira, etc.). I'm curious to know how long you guys plan on keeping your M and if you plan on getting another Chryler product when you divorce your M. I think this would be interesting to discuss (and keep us #1 on Edmunds list ;-)
  • thill381thill381 Member Posts: 64
    Here are the pics of the bass link installed. I also have some pics of the car and wood dash that I don't recall if I ever got around to posting. I have found that the base link positioned where it is in the pictures is the optimum spot for it.

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/thill381/lst?.dir=/300M
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    gas mileage isn't a big concern of mine, but with it costing an arm, and another leg by the end of the summer, it might be bad when couples with these gears. for off line performance, tighter shift points, overall performance, i am willing to give up my 145mph runs, and a little gas mileage. but thats just me. i have a feeling sdmike and me are gonna do this together tho, right? ;)
    man that was just mean. what were i thinking? we don't have to pay to see a broken down LS! theres always a ton of them dead somewhere
  • stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    The lease on my 99 w PHP (currently with 15,300 miles) expires early next summer. At this time I am considering buying it off the lease or a new 300M Special. With respect to the Special - I am concerned that Chrysler will build a limited number and that the dealers will not budge off of MSRP or worse, charge a premium over sticker. I guess I'll have to wait and see. If I buy the 99 I'll probably go mod crazy -mostly of the performance variety. I'm hoping that more after market parts companies become more interested in making mods for the 300M, it may make it easier to forgo the Special and build my own.

I'm not sure what else I may consider, but the new Maxima with a 6 speed looks sweet.
  • stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Can we get a picture with the lights?
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Not sure I have owned mine for exactly 1.5 years & have 40K miles!!!! I want to sell it, but might just keep it untill the special comes out & trade for that, or keep it a few years, or get rid of it & buy another car. Basicaly I'm not sure!!!!
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Will this effect the smog checks? Having the engine running higher rpms, in my thinking it would. Any thoughts out there?

If you had the gears installed, and it makes your M do 0-60 in 6 seconds would you still by a Special? or even a 300N?
    my plan was to buy a beater sometime in college, and garage this. but i think when i start up a real life, i'm gonna build a garage for it and keep it there. lol, its got sentimental value to for me, thats another story...i don't think i'll sell tho, i like it too much
    I do plan on keeping it (my 99). In the future that is hard to say. I like the Chryslers I have had in the past, but who knows what is going to be out in the car market in a couple of years. I do like the new chevy P/U they are comming out with. Kind of remindes me of the Prowler P/U. I may have this one for another 12 years.
    lol, you'd be a special alright. i called prowlerpro, they already got the gears in, and the nitrous. they are running tests, dyno's, etc. so we'll see how these gears hold up...
    i just saw this...i wonder if it will fit in my 99'???? worth a try..

• aj_tomasiaj_tomasi Member Posts: 38
    Sdmike, I think with basic mods and the Prowler Prp gears you should shave off a whole second off your quarter mile time, ie 14.9 seconds @ 92mph. Maybe a 0-60 in 6.5 to 6.9 seconds

There are no real milage problems with these gears. People who own trucks switch gears all the time. Go to Moparchat in the Dodge Ram forum. I used to own a Ram so I know. We would have people going from a 3.66 gear to a 4:10 just like us all the time. Could you image a truck running from 12 mpg to 7mpg, that would suck massive [non-permissible content removed]

Prowler Pro Man, Dean, has put on thousands and thousands of miles on his Prowler as he tours it around the country. There are no smog probs or any similar defects. Just call the shop, you might have to leave your name and number for him to call you back, but trust me these are the best things going right now.

ProwlerPro:1-970-260-2411

Also I suggest anyone who is really interested in a faster 300m go to this years SEMA show. Dean will be there with his 400M and this would be a great place to talk about any concerns you have.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Looks like I'll have to call prowler pro on the gas mileage issue. I'm a bit concerned that they won't let another shop install the gears because there is no way in hell I'm going to drive to Colorado to have the work done.

Thanks again for the insight. Where/What is the SEMA show?
  • 300m_vt300m_vt Member Posts: 32
    The photo you posted is a 2001 vehicle. While the rear cupholders were addded in late 2000. Someone else mentioned these awhile ago. I measured them then and as I recall the plain armrest was approx. 1 1/2" taller than the cupholder armrest. You'd have to modify it to fit, but that's no problem for you. ;-)
    I've had Big Red since early March and have about 3,500 miles on her. Not nearly enough time to evaluate my next steps. I normally keep cars 3-4 years, and by then who the heck knows what will be on the market. So far so good though. It's funny, when I was driving my Galant I had no urge to make it go faster. Now that I'm driving a MUCH faster car, I feel the need for more speed!

-M
    Hey av, if you don't mind sandstone cup holders you can go place a bid on that wrecked M. I think the back seat is in good shape. ;)
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    I plan to keep mine until the 300N is available (only at 15K after 1.5 years). As far as buying another Chrysler, I bought a PT Cruiser last Sunday.
    Ok, a serious question. My M dumps a LOT of water, and it's not the AC. I first noticed it when my wife started the car last week and backed it out. The car spit up what looked like a 12oz puddle of water (no smell or color) on the driveway, left a trail as she backed out, and then left another puddle where she hesitated to go from reverse to forward. The car had been sitting a couple of hours. Then this morning I pulled into the local coffee shop, and when I got back to the car I saw a VERY large puddle of water forming at the rear of my car, obviously having run from the front. I've checked my fluid levels and nothing seems out of whack. Any ideas? Anyone else have this? Where the heck is this coming from?

-M
    Just think how pissed you'd be if someone drove by you in a time of trouble and yelled "buy foreign".
    Yeah that was kinda bad. Although I have done worse in my truck with the CB/PA system I have :)
    Got a pic? I use the AC all the time. It never leaves the 70 degree auto setting. I have wet spots under the car alot. Now not puddles, but wet spots. How much is it? Like a real puddle,(like it was raining) or just big wet spots.
  • aj_tomasiaj_tomasi Member Posts: 38
    I have that water prob too. Don't know what it is!

As for the gears you could always get the G force gears and install them yourself, by that I mean by a local speed shop. 3 hours of work is about $250 in labor.

Sema is the Specialty Equipment Marktet Association. Held every year in Las Vegas from Oct 30 to Nov 2. They have hundreds of professionally modified cars and truck. This is where the 300m Special debuted as well as the Chrysler Howler and GT Cruiser.
    I thought it was the AC at first, but these last few days I haven't used it. On my porous concrete driveway it is a BIG wet spot because it's absorbed so rapidly. By BIG I mean bigger than a basketball. Today on the non-porous asphalt of the parking lot it was a similar sized puddle...with a trail of water the entire length of the car. It's like someone overfilled something and it's throwing off the excess. The car is running great and the temperature guage is normal. It's very strange. It can't be the radiator or overflow because that would have antifreeze in it (I'm assuming the antifreeze has a color and/or smell).
    Thank heavens I'm not alone. YOu get as much water as me?? Have you narrowed it down at all?

You going to be at that show? I'll be unemployed by then so maybe I can make the trip. lol
    From what I can find on-line it looks like the prowler G-force gears are a bit higher than the prowler pro gears. I think I read that the prowler pro are like 22% higher RPM, while the G-force are 27%. I only found information on the G-force gears on a prowler site. I can't find a company or distributor site for more information or to order any. I have to call them about this mileage issue. Any leads?

Mike
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    i just assume it's from the AC condensor.

I get puddles when the AC is on, and no puddles when the windows are open.

As for the pool and stream as you pull away, the water may be sitting in a condensor tray (I don't know about auto AC units, but the A coil in my furnace has one) and when you move the car, it obviously empties with the motion...

gotta love inertia!

-m
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I have noticed water under both of our 300m's and I noticed it under my 98 Intrepid when I had it. I always assumed it was the A/C because I use the climate control all the time. I checked the puddles, but they were water only, so I was not concerned about it.

Strange, though, that you get it with the A/C off...maybe the heat of the engine causing condensation of the air around the A/C where there is freon (or whatever they use these days!)

Anyway, as long as its water only, I'm not worried!
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    My 2000 Inferno Red 300M is on lease for 2 more years. I have 8,050 miles on it. I am leaving my options open -- I can purchase it in July, 2003 for $16,200 or turn it in. A lot will depend on the value of the car at that time. If my mileage is 25,000 or less, $16,200 may be a bargain! Also depends on model improvements over the next 2 years. Having said that, if I can buy a new 300M for under $25,000 (like my 2001), I would seriously consider that option. But right now, I am leaning heavily toward another 300 (M, N, Conv.) purchase or lease.

My second 300M (my wife's 2001 Cinnamon Glaze) was purchased for under $25,000 and we plan to have that car for the long haul (7-10 years?). After that, who knows?
  • traleytraley Member Posts: 64
    I am definitely in for this. Even if I have to drive to Colorodo. I am keeping my car, so I don't mind putting money into it for mods.
    I just hope it doesn't void the warrany.

As far as water goes, i get some water out of my tail pipes. With air on OR off. I also noticed that when I changed my sparkies, that the cylinder shaped area where the sparks reside had some light rust.HMMM
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    spotted a platinum 99 300m running up I-75 this morning sporting a club decal on the rear driver door, henry county tag...i was the maniac waving out the Ram, you didn't notice i was having a hard time keeping up you were doing 90+ i was up to 80 and you left me...but i caught up and passed you like you were standing still because i was in the H.O.V lane :) whoever this dude is he knows how to drive an m! Send me an e-mail man i grew up in henry county.
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    I guess you 'won'!!!

Wasn't me, but maybe that's why the guy was doing 90+... to get away from the maniac waving out the window from his Ram... eheehee

-m
  • kenvankenvan Member Posts: 19
    Hey, Mike

You asked for some pix up of my invisible bra and light guards. Here they are (plus other pix of the car....)

">
    http://www.chardans.net/300m/pix.htm

They seem to do a good job of protecting from stone and bug damage, and you wash and Zaino them just like the rest of the car

great pics..and thanks for the acknowledgement. LOL! We have twins! Now get those duals installed pronto! :)
    Yeah, I love the way the duals look and sound. How much have people paid for thiers? I've seen a lot about the different dual configurations in here, but not a lot about cost...(or I forgot)
  • dyadincdyadinc Member Posts: 21
    Can someone who ran true duals post a sketch or photo of the underside of the car... If its already been posted sorry I missed it, could you tell me what posting # it was.

thanks
    Mike
    I paid about $500 for mine, including installation. I think that's close to what others have paid.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    mykem is right - he had an M and you were in pursuit with the word "Ram" on your truck ;)
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Great looking car, now get the wood trim and finish it off, and Mike, what do you mean twins, we got us triplets here. I just turned 2000 Kilometeres yesterday and I saw my first LS yesterday, and I do not know what the squabbling is all about. The M is a nicer looking car.

By the way, I took delivery on this car on the 8th March 01.
    Do you have the full wood trim kit? If so, any problem with cracks? Do you have pics? I especially would like to do the center console where the clock is.
    I have the full kit, I did have a problem with a crack and had it replaced at my expense.You will not be able to do the complete clock face unless you want to go with the cheap plastic look, as it is not available in the real California Burl Wood, and I don't think you want to go that route.sdmike says he is going to Tijuana to the place mine was sent from, maybe he can see if they can come up with the real stuff, but it may be impossible because of the curves. I have taken pictures and will have to scan them in and hopefully send them out if I can figure out how on the computer. I'm too cheap to buy a digital, as they cost a fortune here in Canada.
    This molded kit covers the whole clock area, but it's synthetic (read: plastic). I want real wood:

http://www.autodash.com/details.lasso?sn=2328&pn=ch-300mc00ca

Here's the Joshua tree kit. It is supposed to be the Luxury Trim, which I assume means it's a match for the Luxury group wood.

http://www.woodtrim.com/catalog_detail.cfm?prod=3860

Yep, it's the factory match from Joshua, but I might take that run to Tijuana, it's probably a lot cheaper. I saw an inferno red M yesterday with the dark interior, it sure looked different. The lady saw mine and said she wished she could have our interior.It's possible the taupe would be OK but not the dark, especially with our exterior colour.
    Yeah, I love this color. I sold my 66 mustang which I had for 20 years to buy this car, and it had the same color scheme, which is why I chose these colors for my M.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    where do you get that invisi bra from I have to get one of them. Also need the lens protectors I already have a scratch in one from a rock (I hate construction).
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I logged in early and chatted with Mykem, but then later fell asleep. I did get to read what went on. Last time I chat from a laptop in bed. :)
    ok fellas, i talked to Dean for over an hour. i'm gonna get the gears very very soon, hopefully in this month. this guy is unbelievable. he's so good...i can;t begin to explain how much stuff this guy is making so much stuff. stroker motor, dual throttle body setup, oh my i'm so pumped. EVERYTHING is on hold for these prowler gears....
    are you going with the G-Force or Prowler Pro gears? After what we have done with these gears should be able to run with the "N" when when it comes our. I will consider it if the MPG loss is less then 10% I want to atleast get 27 on the hiway and could live with an 6 mpg loss.