Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Ebay has another 300M head light, that I am bidding on. If I get it, it will be time to break out the Dremel again to try some Head light mods I have been waiting for a year to do.
    Parts books, cargo nets. and such. Would hate to bid against fellow members here.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    In my previous post that's 350 ponies, not 550. lol
    Here is a PDF of a magazine review of the super8 hemi with the 5.7 liter (353 cubic inch) Hemi V8. My guess is that this is the same engine as the 300N Hemi. How's this for fun... 353 horsepower with 395 lb-ft of torque, and 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. :)

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/automotive/whitepapers/hemi.pdf

Oh yeah...22x10 inch rims :)

• stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Those cars are in the same class (looks wise) as the Pontiac Aztek. I hope they don't build them looking that way.
    Bueller? Bueller?
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Happy now? :-D

Go for an inspection on Tues - wish me luck... otoh, it's barely a year old. I can't see what could be a problem...
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I read your post about the ding you got on your car, and lo and behold I decided to have my car washed inside and out at a carwash here in town as we have a water ban in effect. The weather was great almost 70 degrees, which is really unusual here in Alberta. I headed home opened my garage door and drove in and then crunch!! the garage door came down and put two dings in the roof and I must have about ten scratches on the roof about a foot long. I do not think that is down to primer as I can't catch my finger nail on them. I do have a guy here in town who does the dent repair and he is very good and cheap!!! I send him business and I get mine done for free, plus I hope he can buff out the scratches. This is my fault and I do not have anyone to blame, and the inferno red really does not like scratches. I just felt that I should join the crowd.
    I feel you pain. Two years ago the same thing happend to my 300M, only it was on the trunk likd on the third brake light and across. I buffed it out, and you can hardly tell, I fixed the dent myself (a crow bar and a pice of masonite works wonders)
    I think we had better stop talking about our problems, it seems to be catching and I sure don't want to spread the wealth. Thanks for your comments.
    A crowbar???

Mikeyjohn - sorry about your dents. My roll-up garage has a light beam about 12 inches above the floor that, if broken, will stop a door. You can't close stuff in it, thank heavens. Before we got the roll-up we had a tilt-up wooden door and my wife managed (not once, but twice) to damage the minivan with it. Once she parked too close to the door and when she opened it the door tore up the front grill of the van. The other time it closed on the roof and left a big dent and broke the roof rack.

I agree with you though, inferno red does NOT handle scratches or dents very well. They become very obvious.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

Whatever you do, DON'T take any pics of that scratch or the door ding! I want to remember BigRed parked in front of that beautifully landscaped house with that gleaming Inferno Red Zaino shine!

fastdriver

PS This group is becoming very accident prone! Be careful!
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    the Yankee Dynasty has ended---
    incredible series
  • tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    SDMike: Man I feel your pain! When my wife came home with our "M" and I noticed the ding on the rear driver side, I had a cow! It is hard to see(the ding) for there was no paint from the other car left behind! The Zaino shine does help in noticeing the ding. So I now work around the ding while Zanioing my "M".

BTW SDMike, are you still planning on going the Phoenix meet?

300Michael: Superstition FWY to what Road will lead me into Scottsdale? Is it Rual/Scottsdale? Or is there a better way getting the the meet from Tucson? LMK by post or via Email.
  • ceikostceikost Member Posts: 30
    I too have a Inferno Red, 2000 300M with all the options. In the first 8 mo. that I had it I was side swiped twice in parking lots. The first time $960 worth the second time $1440. And both times with a very minor amount of sheet metal damage. The Inferno Red is what they call a three stage paint, red, peral then clear coat.
    this extra step realy ups the bill.

I've had white cars since 76 and got red because it looks great and it was a change but there are times I wish that I had stayed with white.

Well, I was sweeping up leaves in the carport today and guess what! Yep, someone left an 8 inch scratch on the right front passenger door. Most of it polished out but there still is about 3 inches where it went thru the clear coat.

I'm about ready to hire an armed guard to ride shotgun with me!
  • ceikostceikost Member Posts: 30
    BIRDS LIKE RED TOO!!
    ceikost-

LOL... Must depend on the shade of red? So far, I've been lucky! Either that or the Zaino shine blinds them and they miss!! :-)))))

fastdriver
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    That Super8 is about the ugliest thing I have seen DC design in quite some time. How can they put in a Dodge pick-up truck grill and Pontiac grooves down the side like that? The back looks like a combo Avalon, Buick, and Altima rear end with all the worst appearance features of each. And the interior ain't no great shakes either. What a dog. Doubt they will produce anything that ugly and expect it to sell. They will probably wait to see how badly the Crossfire does first. If the Crossfire bombs, they will undoubtedly follow up with this ugly car.
    ceikost - you may want to even try it yourself. I had a light, but long scratch on the side of my concorde. They wanted $1k to repaint the whole side. I washed and lightly scuffed the scratch off. Repainted a couple of very small areas that needed touchup and put some clearcoat on it. You couldn't even tell... Cost <$10 for supplies ;)

As for self-inflicted damage - I stripped one of the screws trying to replace the plugs - duh! on a side note - When I went to talk to the mechanic, he told me one of the most common reasons to fail emissions is the high perf plugs. The newer cars have much stricter emissions now. Anyone else have a failure because of this? Haven't replaced them yet - but will see...

On my garage we have the same sensor, but it's below the end of the car. My wife tore the emblem off her integra by not pulling in far enough. The new car is a bit longer, and we're being a bit more careful ;)
    I had my 3* check my emissions when they put the bosch +4 plugs in and everything was great.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Morning, all! A while back I purchased 2 sets of Grabowski mud flaps/splash guards. This weekend took'em out of the plastic packaging and the S.O.--surprise-- doesn't like the way they look (too big..)
    I know some of youse here got the Chrysler version both in standard 'black' and some have had them painted to match your M's.
    Question here is what did they cost you from the dealer, painted and stock installed, and what did they cost you(se)? The inquiring mind of the S.O. wnats to know. Als, any pix out there to throw an eyebal on?
    Thanks from sulphur dioxide-laden Noo Yawk!

Doc
    Another bird warning. I kept finding these muddy marks on top of my mirror housings (gloss black on the '01) and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. One morning I looked out my upstairs window and saw birds standing on my mirrors with little muddy feet! Seems they liked seeing their reflection in the black plastic and in the window.
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    While I'm intrigued by the powertrain of the Super8/300N (though they definitely would benefit from a five or six-speed transmission), I won't buy one if the actual production versions turn out to be as horrific as the current prototypes. I value performance and engineering, but I also like to drive a car that is good-looking. I think the comparison to Pontiac's Aztek is appropriate, and they've been a sales disaster.

My personal tastes run toward what the European manufacturers do with their high performance sedans. Flowing lines, enough differentiation from their run-of-the-mill products that the performance theme is evident (a la BMW M5 or Mercedes E55), but not some weird-[non-permissible content removed] sci-fi experiment in styling that I would have penned when I was ten years old.

I acknowledge that it's necessary to push the envelope in styling studies to gauge public reaction and shape product development, but the Super8 (and, by inference, the 300N) are immature in concept and awkward in execution. They're just horrible, Chrysler. Try again!
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    What?...no one here likes a vehicle that looks like it was assembled from a Revell model kit? What don't you like---the use of injection-molded plastic pieces slapped onto an already hideous looking body? Same thing is apparent on the new Chevy truck (sorry, avalanche..) called "Avalanche" and the up-scale Cadillac version that should have been called the "Grotesque".
    I don't care how many 'funny' commercials (..the guy who says 'can we change?'...), and the driver gets out and changes the truck/suv to a pick-up truck!..Sheesh.
    I don't think those things are cheap, and why pay good money for an ugly vehicle?
    Of course, its just my humble opinion....

Doc
  • jreasejrease Member Posts: 14
    I'm trying to collect 1/18 scale die-cast versions of all cars that my family has grown up with (except for the bombs). Does anyone know of a 300M that has been made into a die-cast toy or even a plastic model kit? I've searched all over the internet with no luck. However, I did happen upon a white metal 1/18 scale 1956 Chrysler 300B while at Sam's Club recently. Snapped it up quickly!
  • stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Wolfgang Bernhard, the Chrysler Group's chief operating officer, says he wants to set up a unit to market specialty and high-performance vehicles modeled after the Mercedes-Benz AMG unit.

"It's going to happen. It's just a matter of when we make the announcement," said Mike Aberlich, a spokesman for the Chrysler Group.

The objective is to enhance and expand the Chrysler Group's portfolio of specialty vehicles, said Bernhard, who headed the Mercedes-Benz AMG unit before he was dispatched from Stuttgart in November 2000.

Bernhard said he wants to build on the success of the Dodge Viper and the Chrysler Prowler. And Bernhard added he wants the employees assigned to the new group to come up with new concepts.

Manfred Gentz, DaimlerChrysler chief financial officer, said one of the challenges for the Chrysler Group is to increase its revenue base, and Bernhard figures this is one way.

Bernhard said the Chrysler Group's new AMG-like unit will start with modest objectives.

For example, it will give the Chrysler Group an outlet for aftermarket parts and other accessories auto buffs buy from other suppliers, Bernhard said.

"It's an opportunity for some brand recognition. It's also an opportunity to satisfy some of the demand out there for aftermarket accessories. We can provide better quality, lower price and better performance," Bernhard said.
  • jreasejrease Member Posts: 14
    I'm trying to collect 1/18 scale die-cast versions of all cars that my family has grown up with (except for the bombs). Does anyone know of a 300M that has been made into a die-cast toy or even a plastic model kit? I've searched all over the internet with no luck. However, I did happen upon a white metal 1/18 scale 1956 Chrysler 300B while at Sam's Club recently. Snapped it up quickly!
    Well, here's a 1/10th model rc car. not quite what you're looking for, but close...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1656744649

• silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Hi, guys. Someone asked recently about the Bright Silver color. What I have noticed is that although it doesn't have that really glassy shine with a mirror reflection of surroundings, it does look great in reduced light, like twilight. This is with 5-6 coats of Zaino Z-2. What really makes the biggest improvement is applying the Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. I gave up on spraying directly on the paint because of overspray on windows. I spray a little on one of the Zaino terry cloth applicators and wipe a light coat on to the surface. Voila! No more overspray. Just follow the directions-wipe off immediately with a large 100% cotton towel. Great stuff!

Congratulations to all you D-Back fans. Great finish! Thank God the manager used Big Unit as the closer.

Silver
    the one car Chrylser is doing right is the 300N Convertible model for 2004--saw it in last years auto show and its a beauty---check it out on the club web site---http://www.300mclub.org/ link is at the left lower corner of page---now that car has style--unfortunately they dont plan on using the same styling on the 2 door coupe they planning---big mistake----

I think they should hire someone like Avalanche---young designer with great innovative styling ideas---hows those Diablo doors coming Av!
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    I and a fellow board member picked up a plastic R/C 1:!6 model of the speculative 300 Hemi Convertible.

I haven't seen them around other than at the Chrysler Museum in Auburn Hills, though.

-m
    I believe DC decided not to make that car, didn't they?

Oh, just as another note to DC, if you want to see how to differentiate your high end cars, check out Volvo. I'm currently driving an S80 rental and it is fast and classy. The others in the family are similar, but different enough that you know the difference.
    The volvos are very fast for what they are. My wife has an s70 - comes in 3 engines - a 2.4 @163hp, 2.4turbo@200ish and a 2.3turbo @ 225. My wife has the second, the glt, and it's almost as fast as my M. I don't know about the third, the T-5, but it came in a stick. It must be a serious rocket. The s70 was discontinued and replaced by the s60 and s80. The 60 is a bit smaller, but the 80 is very nice. May consider that next time round even....
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    jrease-- I made the same circuit looking for a die cast, and had no luck. I thought Mykem and Russ Klass found one at the Chrysler Museum but maybe not.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Chrysler warranty in the U.S.(before recent increase) was (is) 3 years/36,000 miles across the board. We never had the 5 year/60,000 mile (100,000 km.) powertrain warranty you have apparently enjoyed in Canada for the last few years...
    I did not realize that you did not have the powrtrain warranty. A few years ago they also offered the 7 yr powertrain warranty but it hinged on whether you wanted the 3 yr bumper to bumper or the 7 year powertrain, if you opted for the later then you only had a 1 year bumper to bumper. It was sure confusing. I have not read anywhere that Chrysler Canada was going to do any incentives before the end of the year. I wish they would because the lease on my wifes Cirrus is just about up and I would like to upgrade her car. The Canadian Drivers website has just voted the Hyundai Sonata the car of the year, and I have really been looking at that car for i'ts looks, equipment and value. It would not replace my M, but for her it's an option. I wish that car had the 10 yr warranty that you have in the US.
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    Last word from HQ is that they WILL build it. I'm just waiting to put in my order. Saw it up close and personal yesterday at the Seattle Auto Show. A real showstopper.
    sdmike2-

Hey! That's FOUR things now! LOL....Get some HD work socks to cover the mirrors so the birds can't see themselves. See what that Zaino does! Where's Alfred Hitchcock when you need him? ;-))

silverbullet4-

Z6 on the windows is ok. It acts like RainX- water just flies right off. Try a window and you'll see or do half your windshield.

fastdriver
  • rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    This is my first time visiting this town hall and need input and comments to help in deciding which new vehicle I should purchase, I'm in the market for a entry level luxury sport sedan.
    I've pretty much narrowed the selection between the 300m and the Lincoln LS(v-8)(others I have considered include Preowned lexus GS 400, BMW 5 series and new Pontiac Bonneville SSEI).

I like the Lincoln because of rwd, 50-50 weight distribution for excellent handling and available
    v-8. However, I'm not keen on the conservative styling and uninspiring interior.

When I drove the 300 I was impressed with the luxurious interior and fine appointments(analog clock, cluster guages etc.) The ride and handling were nice but I worry about some reports of overall quality of the vehicle as mentioned in the edmunds review.

So, these are my questions to you owners of the 300:
    1. Are you happy with the vehicle?
    2. would you recommend the purchase of this vehicle over the Lincoln LS and Why?
    3.what are the quality issues I should be concerned about on this vehicle?

If I did purchase this car, it would be the 300m "special"(18' wheels, dual exhaust tips etc.)
    what are your thoughts on this package?

Any info. on the '03 300m possibly going to v-8 and rwd.

Thanks for your help,
    ron in S.F. Bay Area
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I echo many of the comments on the Super Hemi 8 being...well...fugly. I also echo the comments for the beautiful 300 Hemi C. I hope the designers are reading our posts. Oh, and the stuff I read about the Dodge prototype having a Hemi with the Autostick...give us a REAL Six Speed Manual too please.
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Yes, I am generally happy with my 1999 300m. A real manual transmission in this car would do wonders for performance even with the V6, which is a very impressive and well designed engine.

Read this review. http://allpar.com/mopar/v6.html

I would buy an M again over an LS since the car is a better overall value and styling on the M is much better. The V8 in the LS is only a 3.9L, so not much advantage there. The 5-speed LS only gets the 6 cylinder. Why do they have to build two engines to have two transmissions? That makes me mad so I wouldn't buy the LS just for that reason alone. Oh, and it's a FORD.

For quality, I've only had a couple of minor things. If you read other boards for other types of cars, everyone has someone with the same problems. Not everyone gets the quality issues, only very few, but they get much publicity. There are few across the board, everyone has them, quality issues. If you're buying a 2002, then most issues are gone as they've had 3 years to refine things.

The 2003 will be kinda a lame duck year for the M, as we await the arrival of the N. So don't expect much change. They'll probably just build a bunch more specials.

1. I'm very happy with my 300M. I've had no problems and a world of fun.

2. I really didn't evaluate the LS because I couldn't get past its looks (especially the chrome rear..what's that about?). From what I understand, you'd have to get into the V8 version of the LS to approach the performance numbers of the 300M, and that would cost you significantly more than the M does. I got a fully loaded '01 M with a $34,500 MSRP for about $29,500. Do yourself a favor and put a 300M with the performance handling group (PHG) through its paces and compare it to the RWD LS. I think the PHG gives you the handling equivalent of a good RWD car plus the benefits of FWD (my opinion).

3. DC seemed to have worked out a lot of quality bugs after three years. People here still report a high frequency of failure of the speed sensor (causing the tranny to slip into "limp home" mode) but that's an easy fix. I personally had a small issue with the outside thermometer that fixed itself, but nothing really other than that.

4. The '03 will be similar to the '02 as best we can tell. The car will not go to a RWD platform until the 300N in '04, but it is planned to have a 350HP 5.7 litre Hemi V8 as an option. I've seen the prototypes, and the '04 design looks to be pretty radically different. Scroll back a couple of pages to my post labeled as 10448 for more information on the RWD '04 car.

5. Most here think the 300M special in '02 is a waste of money. Apart from getting some special ground effects, dual exhaust and interior colors, you get the benefit of 3 extra HP if you run on premium gas. No thanks. Most here have done mods to their 300M (exhaust, plugs, filters, intakes, etc.) that make their 300M more special than the special for a lot less money.

Of course, as dennis miller would say, these are just my opinions...I could be wrong. ;)
  • rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    sdmike, is their a aftermarket company or 3oom shop
    were you can purchase these bolt on mods.
    When I owned my '91 Taurus SHO I boosted my hp from 220-265, thanks to the SHO SHOP (www.shoshop.com)
    yes, I have had several trips to the dealer for warranty repairs---but they were all minor stuff that even if they couldnt do anything, were not enough to turn me off on the car. The only complaint I have with the car is some wind noise and lots of road noise. I think my next set of tires (Yokohamas or Dunlops will solve the road noise issue). What I love compared to the LS is the huge amount of room in the car---the LS has a tiny glove box and centre console--and a smaller trunk and rear seat. Also the M runs on regular gas or midgrade. I believe the Ls needs the caviar of fuel--just more dollars down the tank. The M also is a real head turner and the powertrain has proven to be very dependable. If I didnt like the car, I would trade it in by next year. I plan on keeping this car for 5 to 7 years and the either get a caddy seville STS or another M if they dont screw it up. You should check out the Edmunds forum titled---Lincoln LS vs Chrysler 300M for opinions on both sides. I would pass on the Special especially with the increased risk of scraping those add-on body parts against a curb or road debris. Many of our members have added much better looking duals to their M's at a very reasonable cost.

The convertible model due out in 2004 or 2005 is a real head turner. Wish they would make an equivalent coupe. A convertible is out of the question for me due to security issues. And I would also worry about all the fingerprints on the glass from the audience it would draw. But that car is one of the nicest looking cars I've ever seen anywhere! And I bet the people on this board that have seen it in the flesh feel the same way.

The auto show is in Boston this week. I hope to make it and check out the Chrysler offerings and all the other new vehicles by other manufacturers as well.

You will not regret buying the M. It has been improved over the first year edition and is a great value.

And you get to join the Chrylser 300M Enthusists Club and mingle with some fine people---not to mention the neat clothing apparel they offer--hats, shirts, eventual jackets, etc. And logoed mats may be offered as well---hopefully soon--(hint, hint ;-)

Easyrider300M
    I have read up on Tranny life and believe that an auxiliary cooler is a great way to prolong tranny life. I believe you added a cooler to your tranny. Where did you get it, what brand, did you install yourself, what is the cost. Is it hard to install, how long does it take to install---are there any space issues?

I changed all my tranny fluid and the filter at 17K and believe the first tranny fluid change at an early stage is very important.

Thanks for your response

Easyrider300M
    Most here have done their own mods. Borla does or used to sell a bolt-on performance exhaust for the M but that's about it. My exhaust was built custom, as were the exhausts of several others here. Other easy upgrades include replacing the stock plugs with Bosch Platinum +4 plugs (about $6 each) and upgrading the air filter to a K&N OEM replacement. With a bit more work you can do some more, like boring out the throttle body or improving the air intake system. Prowler Pro also sells a set of gears made for the Prowler that will fit the 300M tranny that really boost 0-60 times. The M runs like a scalded cat above 3,000-4,000 RPM, and the changed gearing raises stock RPMs over 20%. It comes with a hefty price tag though. Otherwise most of our mods have been cosmetic enhancements. I installed a spoiler and window tint, and I removed the chrysler lettering for a cleaner look. Some mods done by people in here have been much more radical. Here is a link to my photo gallery, which has pictures of my mods (including "how to" stuff).

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1620463

You'll also want to go peak at www.300mclub.org. There are links there to mods pages and other car information.

• sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    I never had a problem with my M (or the other 5 Chryslers I've owned). These so-called reports seem at least to me to be more a desired perception than a fact.
    The one I purchased was from Auto Zone ($69 special order) You have to go with the narrow one since the thicker (1.5") does not have enough clearance to work well (interferres with planned lighting project (yes, another project)). It is a cross flow type not the standard round tubeing. Just install it in place of the stock (joke) cooler. I pinched off the hoses and then sealed them with uncut silicon tips until the new one was installed. Then I filled the cooler with fluid and poured it into a container (to later add, to bring up the tranny fluid level. The cars engine seemed to run a tad cooler (going by the temp gauge). I believe any cooler will be an improvement over the stock one.
    Take the I 10 north to the Superstition Freeway (60). Then go east (4.375 miles) on the Superstition to the Pima Freeway (101). Then go north (13.5 miles)on the Pima Freeway to Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. Then go east (2 miles) to Scottdale Road. The south on Scottdale to Paradise Lane. East on Paradise Lane .25 mile.
    While on Frank Lloyd Wright you can turn into the shopping center and drive between Lowes and The Great Indoors to get there. Then just look for all the M's.