Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• easyrider300measyrider300m Posts: 1,116
    did you read the test done on the system--it may answer some of your questions: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/smarttire.htm
  • caroscaros Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 300M with 40Km. I have now gone through 2 sets of rotors. Local Chrysler dealer advises that it is excessive heat build up causing the rotors to prematurely distort.

I do live in a hilly area. 1,200 ft descent over 2 miles, done daily 2 or 3 times.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket higher quality rotors available.
    Thanks
    Clive
    West Vancouver BC
    I notice my rotors also get extremely hot even with light use---you may want to downshift into lower gear on decending hills to cut down on rotor overheating---I have 20k on my M and no warpage--also make sure when you have your tires rotated, that they use a torque stick on the lug nuts--overtightening can distort rotors--on of our member bought aftermarket drilled rotors that may run cooler and have better stopping characterics---I think it may have been Fuzzy--
    "Why American cars are unappealing" is number two thanks to some of our members posting at that site: Our rival, Lincoln LS, is number 10.
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    The 3 series BMW board is #1 (of course they have been out longer and have more cars on the road), and We are #2. No one else is even close.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    I noticed that we are usually number 1 during the week and drop down on the weekends. Maybe it's because our cars are so fun to drive we're not spending any time at our computers on the weekends. ;)

-M
    As of 11:30 sunday morning we're number 1 (28 posts) with the LS board second, and the Jeep Wrangler third. I wonder how often they update this list and what the time period for the counts is. Maybe PatHOST can shine some light on this.
    was on the road early this am--very few cars on the road----see a Q45 ahead stopping at the light---pulled along side of him--I looked over at the car--grandpa was driving---didnt think he'd play but I revved up a little and he inched forward--light changes--no contest---sorry to say it, although I gave it my best, I got walloped by the Q--guess the M is no match for a 340hp Q with 333 torque---guess I best look for an I30 to play with---

I usually drive nice and easy and dont look for contests but this am I gave the M a full workout--Now maybe if I had that nitrous and prowler gears with duals and upgraded intake I could have made Grandpa's head spin---but I guess I'll go back to my EasyRiding---

PS: over on the LS board someone called the M a "poor man's LS"--and then called the LS a smart man's Jaguar---someone should teach them a road rage lesson--

Meanwhile we are now numero uno again on the Edmunds top ten list with the LS right on our tail--I say lets smoke em---Ok men, "start your postings!"

Easyrider300M
  • stevenw300stevenw300 Posts: 90
    Great summary of the exhaust options. Thanks.
    Did Hanson's shop do the cutout for you? What did they use for the trim? It sure looks great.
  • stevenw300stevenw300 Posts: 90
    This may be a good question to get the postings up - kind of an informal survey of dual exhaust systems. For example for those with the Hugo design - what type of high flow muffler have you utilized behind the cats, what type of new center resonator, tips, etc., what type of performance gains (including MPGs), experience with cutout, etc.

Just an idea.
    just saw a post on the Yahoo Groups board--another M owner had a bad accident--what's up with all the M accidents lately--maybe I should put the M in the garage and take the bus till accident season is over--

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/300m-lhs/message/5894
  • 300mlover300mlover Posts: 132
    Just had a customer at work today with a 2000 300M. Claims he just received a recall notice for the front ball joints. Anyone know anything about this?
    The shop did the cutout for me, so I didn't have to fuss or muss with it. The trim around the cutout is door edge guard that he glued to the rim of the cutout. I agree, it looks nice that way.
  • hataxhatax Posts: 56
    sdmike, this might be useful for you. I know some of you live in states where photo radar is prevelent. And I saw an add for this and thought it might be useful for some of you, who knows, maybe we can even get a 300mclub membership discount.

http://www.redlineauto.com/Products/Eiminator/eliminator.html

They say it blocks cameras from seeing your plates at given angles...

Easyrider, yeah, I don't think the M is a match for the Q. Espically at a stop light, I think if you were on the freeway, you might have not felt so bad, but the M is not a stoplight hopper, but on the freeway, watch out.. Heh, going 60mph, auto stick it to 2nd gear and stomp on it, I love that feeling... =D

Here is a diagram of my exhaust. This is the "Michael Hujo" design that many have used. The idea is to replace the three restrictive stock mufflers with two non-restrictive ones, and to increase flow by having dual pipes out the final muffler.

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    I have been told it is updated once every 24 hours, based on the number of posts that have occurred within that time period. I think they said this occurs around 4 am, which I assume is Town Hall time (PT). I am less sure of the time that the update occurs than I am the fact that it occurs once every 24 hours, though.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Posts: 958
    Yes it was me who has the only set of aftermarket drilled rotors I know of. They can be bought at:

http://www.kvrperformance.com

They are also in Canada, & have a shop here in FL too. All they list is for the 99 300M, but they will fit all years. You have to know if you have the PHP or not. The PHP rotors are a little bigger, & will not fit a non PHP 300M. They also have pads, but you may be better getting the pads elswhere. I got all 4 PHP rotors & pads, & anti rust coating for around $400.

• beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    I usually hear or see something on a recall when they are announced, but no, I haven't heard of anything yet on the 300M's. Come to think of it, I don't think the M has had any so far, well, except for the seatbelt bolts earlier. Was this guy sure that there was actually a recall? If so, how was he notified or find out? I'm not all that saavy on things like ball joints and the like, but if they were recalled, there must be some reason.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Posts: 365
    You might want to reconsider that plate you mentioned. They are totally illegal here in Canada and I notice that it had an Ontario plate. I don't know how it is treated in the States but here it would probably cost you more than the ticket is worth. I do not like the photo radar as I feel it is a cash cow, but I am a retired police officer, and I sure would not want to see people lose their licences for something like this. We have had photo radar for over 11 yrs, and most of them are portable, so just slow down when you see a vehicle stopped at the side of your freeways. I do endorse the red light cameras but they are really new here. Also you do not lose points on your licence with photo radar as the courts will throw it out for lack of identification of driver. In our province if you tamper with your licence plates, then you lose your vehicle, and these plates are classed as tampering in my province. Just my .02.
  • denvermdenverm Posts: 356
    Just cleaned my dirty engine for the first time, at 17k miles. Here's a photo and info on the cleaning product I used: http://www.btjdesign.com/300m/engine.html
  • mike_sp1mike_sp1 Posts: 43
    Thanks sdmike2 for the pointer to the pictures of your dual exhausts AND also pictures of the Infinity Bass-Link. Mike S.
  • mrl859mrl859 Posts: 168
    After following Easy's link to the Yahoo 300m group, and spending ten minutes signing up for all the REQUIRED memberships, I found you have to go back and forth to read each message. What a pain! Unless there's another board that functions as this one does, I'll stay here and lump it.
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Posts: 558
    i'll get some pics up tommrowo of the work, i just started it up....
    take lots of pics of the work in process so you can make a nice portfolio of the quality bodywork and mods your shop performs. Then display it for your potential customers to see.
    Your engine came out nice and clean, but it always makes me nervous spraying the engine area with water--I'm afraid of causing corrosion or causing alternator or connection problems---do any or our other members spray their engine with water or steam?--

the most I do is just wipe down the most visible areas with a damp cloth or with windex--
    When my engine gets dirty I sell the car....j/k. :) I've only gunked and sprayed my engines a couple of times and I've never had a problem.
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Posts: 209
    i cleaned mine at 8k with Greased Lightning, diluted some sprayed it on and hosed it down, cranked it up let it run a little no problems.
    i have the same system as sdmike, got it done in february have had no problems, i used monza pacesetter tips, slash cut chrome. don't know the gas mileage or increased hp, did it just for looks and that nice performance sound.
    what else, hmmm trying to keep us on top. lets see i must get me some of that Zaino leather treament, so far everything from Z is super. try the tire gloss the best i've ever used and i've used them all.
    haven't got anything on this. don't worry they will send out a card.