Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

LOL.....You DO need a job ASAP! :-))) Those camera parts are as neatly laid out as is the shine on Big Red! I like blonda's suggestion- selling empty Zaino bottles! I can probably scrounge up a few empty ones to send to you.

Hey, maybe if you throw in a bottle of Z6 with the camera deal, you can get more than $1.95! ;-))

So, no room ABOVE the garage and no basement. Mmm..do you REALLY need Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations? How did this ever start anyway? Some people around here have more Halloween lights than Christmas lights.

Does Big Red stay on the street or in the driveway? I could never have left Christine outside 24/7 no matter what I thought of her. Ever consider a car cover?

fastdriver
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Big Red mostly stays in the street right where she is in your favorite picture. Since my wife is often out of the house before me (especially now) parking it in the driveway causes some inconvenience. I told my wife that I'm going to build a cover over our 1200 square foot stamped concrete patio and use it for my car. She, of course, rolled her eyes at me...but wouldn't that be cool?? It's gated and has beautiful flowers, lights and even a waterfall/pond. Don't see many car ports with a waterfall in it do ya! heh.

It came as quite a shock to see that I got a bid on those camera parts. Then I did a little digging and realized that it was my brother bidding on it as a joke. lol. Well, the joke's on him. I'm going to make him pay me for it and I'm going to send it to him. heh. Believe it or not I have about 20 items up for auction (all but the camera are real things)...all found in my desk or shelves when I cleaned up last week!
    What made DC think it was a good idea to put a turbocharged 200+ HP power plant in a NEON of all things. Jeez. I wonder if anyone there is working on supercharging or turbocharging the 3.5. Hmmmm.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    3.5 turbo charged forget it I want the V10 in my 300M, and while they are at it, they can twin turbo it. It sounds like they are finally getting their heads screwed on at DC. Now if only they follow through on them.???????? I hope they don't forget the handling aspects.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    I made the mistake of touching paint chips on the hood of my '99 Deep Slate 300M ... the touch ups were more visible than the chips!
    On the Silver '01 I'm just going to live with the few chips collected during the first 26,000 miles.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Anyone going to the Detroit show this month?
    We will be there Sunday Jan. 20th.
    Looks like an outstanding collection of both concepts and '03 & '04 model intros this year.
    They are going to replace all my door panals and bolts (seat movement). The Tranny Bump they could not dubplacate (big surprize), but at least it is on record. While it was at the dealers an elderly gentalman hit the rear of my M. Luckly it damage the "chasing light" license plate trim, so the dealer offer to replace it (no longer made) so they gave me one of those Chrome "300M" plate trims. The gentleman also kicked in $50 for the damage to the plate. Because it had a scuff mark on it. Luckly not a scratch on the rear (believe me I checked) so I am happy with it. Now I can get a personalized plate I guess. I did test drive an 300M special (they had 2 on the lot) and an Sebring Convertable. Both were nice, but I will keep my 99. I also go my $50 gift card signed, so all in all it was a good day. I spent an hour discussing My 300m vs the new 300M Special with two of the salesmen. I kind of know what Avalanche goes through when he visits the dealerships.
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Ok you sneaky ebay guys out there... Im warning you, there are some service manuals (1999) on ebay and I want them, and will outbid ya so dont bother bidding and save me money :) pleeeeeeeeeeeease lol
    I had it too, it was just the grill...
  • radtechradtech Member Posts: 10
    I also had chips on the hood of my stone white 2000 M, Asked lots of people, all told me to take it to a shop, found one that matched all the hood chips and some on the door PERFECTLY for $40
    Needless to say I was thrilled about it! and will use them next time M is ready. Now I'm thinking 'bout a half bra! They too cost around $40
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I visited the local dealer parts dept and had them look up what parts are required to fix the moving seats. They pulled the TSB and said that a total of 4 long screws were needed. These are the ones move the seat in various directions. It's not frame or pivot bolts as I suspected.

The dealer had some in stock, but they were reserved for other schedule repairs of customer cars. So I had them order a set of parts for me, so I can make the repair myself. They are about 5 dollars each. I'll get them in a couple of days and look at it this weekend to see how hard they are to install.
    My solution to the Insufficient Bass Problem can be found here...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ajpiii

What do you guys think ?

I'm considering replacing the gear lube in my differential. Service Schedule A says nothing about changing it, service schedule B says do it every 15,000 miles. TSB 21-17-99 says to fill with 25oz of 75W-90 instead of the 32oz of 80W-90, then because of the reduced amount of fluid (25oz) you gotta change it every 15,000 miles. Aparently, the fluid can burp out so the fix is to reduce the amount of fluid, but that doesn't explain 80W-90 vs 75W-90.

Can anyone make sense of this or have you made a change? What to do? Maybe I should just forget it, since it's unlikely I'll make 100,000 miles before I reach 5 years and trade.
    Tony,

Nice web page and cool sub box. My solution is just single Boston 12 inch, but I don't don't have cool neon. :(
    Screw the handling aspects. I'll just point mine in a straight line and gooooooooooo! lol
    I can never resist the neon :) Although no one ever gets to see it since the trunk is always close lol
    with that new neon... It will probably be a big hit just because the WRX is so ugly
    Sweet. Way too much for me though. Space is at a premium for me. :)
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The rumor is Crossfire is to be priced around 35K, but production will be so limited, lots of luck on getting one at that price.
    I saw a pic somewhere with a PT cruiser with a Viper V10 installed up front. DC says engine bay is too small for the 3.5L (what it should've had a least from the factory) 4 cyls ughh. Anyway if they can shoehorn a V10 in a Cruiser, then it should fit in a 300M especially if someone fits a driveline under the tunnel and reconfigures the rear end for RWD. :)
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    With 215 hp I doubt we will see a big run on the Crossfire. Be interesting if they ever get floor models at the dealerships. I still have yet to see a Special at my 5*. I would have to consider the new Z [if it is produced] or the Pontiac or Buick roadsters that they debuted at the Detroit show, unless the HP goes up on the Crossfire or we see the Hemi C coming. Three nice looking cars.
    Which ones are you looking at? I am always looking at ebay.
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    Thanks, everyone, for your quick response to my speaker questions. I'll try playing with the speaker grill to see if that offers some relief. However, I don't know how it comes off. Can it be removed without taking off the door panel? Thanks again.
  • stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Has anyone tried Zaino's ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator? If so, how does it work?
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Hey, when in Rome...
    I always love sampling the local beverage of choice. ;)

P.S. you've got hotmail.

The Crossfires will sell well regardless of HP. They are unique, to many that's as important as raw ability. I'm sure they'll be like the Prowler, Viper, and PT Cruiser when they first came out, going for a premium until supply catches up with demand.

It looks to me like DC is taking Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep in the direction of more low volume speciality vehicles.
    Consider: 300M Special, SRT Ram, SRT Neon, SRT Viper, Overland Jeep GC, the PT Dream Cruisers, variations of the PT Cruiser, and Crossfire. Then factor in the PVO group (probably had a hand in the 300M Special). While the Pacifica probably will be a volume vehicle the fact that it's in class by itself again makes it unique.
    This all points in that direction.

It makes sense from a marketing perpective. You still get volume, but are catering to smaller groups and getting product diversity at the same time.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    On my commute to work every morning I see a white 99 or 00 M parked on the street. I could tell it was purchased used a few months ago by the registration tag taped in the window. Today I can't help but notice the change. It has a custom billet grill (no wing) and hugh red and orange flames on the sides and looks like some pinstriping around the rear. The billet grill doesn't look too bad (I didn't notice the bottom grill...I'll check tomorrow). The flames are a bit over the top for me, but all in all it doesn't look bad and kinda reminds me of that model they sell of the M for those remote control cars (no spoiler on this one though).

I wish I had a digital camera so I could take a picture. He Mike, how about making that one of your projects for the day...drive over and take a picture for us. It's over by the Escondido Auto Park.
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    99-300m-ric-va: I replaced mine a few months ago. Filled it with a little more than 25oz 75W30 Mobile 1 gear lube. I think the service manual says to use petroleum lube (don't know if the TSB says that also), but I don't see how synthetic could be harmful.

Russ: I'll be at the Detroit show next Tuesday. I go every year. I'm sure it will be miserable cold weather as usual, but it will probably be an improvement for you.
    I had mine done on the 99M last month @ 37.5K miles. They told me that 90 weight gear oil was used. It is listed on the invoice as part # 4874468. They used 2 of sosmething at $8.91 each. I assume that it is pints yielding a total of 32 ounces. I trust they did it right on the amount to add. I specifically recall the service rep saying it was 90 weight gear oil.
    Tony- on your Potenzas, do you still have 17"x7" stock rims with the 245/45-17s? Or did you go to something else for those tires?
    Didn't someone here install a dash kit that replaced the existing "fake" wood on the M's along with the console, etc.? I don't see that Joshua Tree has those pieces, but I could be wrong. (btw..JT claims they are having a 10% off sale through today only).
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    been using the California waterblade on my last car--the 92 Merc and have been using-and loving it- for eMily! Granted, you do still have to use a towel for the missed spots, but it does save a lot of time, esp. if you're used to a chamois! doesn't scatch-has some sort of micro blade edge on it which just sheets off the awter like gangbusters.
    My wife bought one at a local store--actually got two and paid $7.00 a piece, but reutrned one---GAK! she shoulda kept the second one. Everyone in my neighborhood bought one after they borrowed mine to 'play' with! I even have the California Duster--red thing impregnated with some sort of wax--does a great job in cleaning off the day's soot from the air. DON'T use the Duster on hot days, as it will leave waxy streaks on your M.
    Angel-the wonder cat II is at the vet being neutered and de-clawed (please no flames regarding de-clawing). As a feral cat for her first 6 months, she is impossible to hold to clip her nails, which are Freddie Krueger-sharp--my arms have the scratches to prove it. We've taken her to a reputable and compassionate vet who will be keeping her overnight and possibly till Friday. Linda-my schweetie-is beside herself and is worried. Angel's like one of da family now.....just a little off topic....
    Doc
    See youse in the chatoom this evening!
    Yes those are the stock rims with the 245/45-17's... They barely fit on the rim, the guy at the tire shop had to have someone help him to get them on... but they fit.... :) Only thing that bugs me is the speedo is off a few mph... Big difference from the badyears I had...

Does anyone know if they make a snow tire in the stock 17" size ? Im thinking of using the stock rims for a winter setup, and getting some 20's for Summer :)
    try Discount Dash. They sell a molded 3D kit that covers all of the edges of the black and fake wood panels. They have the burlwood to match the luxury group wood, plus the rosewood to match the fake stuff if you want. They also have carbon fiber and a couple of other things. I've seen some closups posted on the Yahoo board and the quality looks excellent. Their kit not only covers the long dash piece, but also the full clock/vent area. I'm thinking of buying the burlwood and using only the pieces I need. If you want the dash and door pieces maybe we can share the cost.

http://www.discountdash.com

• dukeofdallasdukeofdallas Member Posts: 52
    I bought a '99M back in April and have been a faithful reader of this very informative site for the past 2 months. I was wondering what happened to the seperate Modification discussion? I want to remove my lettering and I remember seeing a detailed step-by-step with pictures a while back.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    First heat 'em up with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive. Some have used dental floss to "saw" behind the letters. I just used my fingernails to peel them off. Then use a product like Goo Gone to remove any remaining adhesive. Finally, Zaino! Looks like this: http://www.btjdesign.com/300m/m7.html
    this guy has the carbon fiber kit & posted pics.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/chrysler300mownersassocation?gc&.alabel=alb31

I second what denverm said. The hotter you can get the letters with a hair dryer, the better they will come off. I used some dental tape (like floss, but thicker and stronger) to slice the letters off. They came off very easily once hot. Goo Gone was the gunk remover of choice.

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/car/noletters.jpg

sdmike2-

"I told my wife that I'm going to build a cover over our 1200 square foot stamped concrete patio and use it for my car."

GREAT idea!! They make those "Cover It" portable garages not far from me. They have a sample of one on top of a building that can be seen right from I-95. Their ads are always in the back of Motor Trend. They have a toll-free number that I don't have at hand, but their regular number is 203-931-4747. Then, Big Red will be off the streets at night, in a protected, gated area that is beautifully landscaped. WHAT a place to Z Big Red! ;-)))

So, your brother is the high bidder so far? LOL.... Let's see who has the last laugh! Hey, if you keep cleaning, you won't have to get another job. You could just sell things on ebay! How about those Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations? ;-))
    I don't get it. Is there REALLY a demand for a TRUCK that goes 0-60 in 5 seconds as opposed to a car? What are they thinking?

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/09/b01-385983.htm

fastdriver
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    the 300M is the top of the line Chrylser product. I would hate be bested by a Dodge Neon or a pickup truck in a drag race---that would really be humiliating. The 300M was supposed to have been built as a tribute to the 300 letter series Chryslers of yesteryear---a time when power was king .....the letter series truly was king of high performance land yachts which boasted speed as well as comforts. Chrysler had best not let the performance of its flagship lag that of the likes of the Neon or Dodge Ram or it will have a price to pay--in lost sales of its top of the line vehicle.

Just my two cents..
    Easyrider300M
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    does that mean you could change the 2000M wood color to the burl---and is it real wood or that fake stuff---how does the piece that covers the factory wood look--does it look too thick as you would have double thickness of factory piece with kit piece on top--(or do you remove the factory piece?)
    Thanks for the link Mike. I actually would really like to change the "fake" stuff to the burlwood but also want to cover the console, etc. Only problem for me is that they offer it for the 2000M and I have one of the "classic" fish scale shifters on my 99.

Anyone here get the Joshua Tree kit in burlwood and have the extra piece for the old style shift they want to sell?
    I don't have any experience with it...just what I've read. I THINK that it applies over the existing pieces, which would solve the "thickness" issue but also suggests that it's not real wood. I'll email them for more information.
    If you do decide to go for the burlwood kit let me know -- I may be happy with just replacing the existing stuff for now so could split the cost with you. My husband would think I'm weird for spending that much money on it anyway. It's not like I can hide it like I do new clothes ("oh I've had this outfit for awhile...don't you remember?")

---oops I think I just gave away a worldwide feminine secret!
    easyrider300m-

That's what I'M talking about! My first car at 16 was a Chrysler 300 convertible in Claret Red with claret red leather and 360HP, 4-barrel carb AND dual exhausts. It was not a letter series, but it was a blast to drive. I know that they say that the new 300 compares in HP from the way they rate it now compared to how they rated HP then, but IF I haven't gone completely senile, I would say that my 63 300 would blow away a new 300M! The pics are in my profile above.

fastdriver
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    The wood in the 2001 M is not fake but actual California Burlwood with and epoxy protective coating. The J. Tree kit I installed on "Beast" was a perfect match to the factory installed wood and is also made from wood. Take a look at my photos.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/chrysler300mownersassocation
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Should have explained in last post. On left hand side of screen click on photos and scroll down to "Uxca dash kit" to see them.
    I just requested a couple of samples...the bronze kit and the burlwood. I'll be able to report on how close it is to factory match. The FAQ on their site indicates that their kits are not real wood...on purpose. They say their kits hold up better and are more durable than real wood kits that you can buy. They also state that their 3D formed kits cover every single bit of black on the plastic interior parts instead of just to the edges. The close-up pictures on the yahoo board prove this point. If it's a good match I'll probably get the kit.