Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Ahh..I misunderstood "can filter". Thanks. I think another approach would be to misdirect the wheel well vents in a way that still allows air flow but doesn't allow water or gunk to go directly through the vents and into the cone filter. I can probably fashion a piece of aluminum to do this. Just have to figure out how to attach it without drilling holes. :)
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Still waiting on the window trim. Supposedly the rear one has been in for a couple months and the front one was on national back order. I got a letter a week ago telling me the rear trim was in!!! duh -- what about the front??? If I don't hear from the service manager by next week I'm going to have to call him again. At least he's good about calling me right back. I think when I do finally take it in I'll have them install some of those Bosch plus for me.
    Just hope that they don't use your rear trim on someone else's car, then you'll have to start all over again. :)
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    I won't be able to join all y'all at the car show, as I'm going on "employee night" on the thirteenth. Glad to hear you made contact with the dealer. I'll defer to you for future dealer contact. As you noted, there is NO WAY they're going to let us work on our cars on their premises. I'm still trying to get cleared for that day off. If nothing else, I should be able to leave Kearny Mesa between 3 and 4 and get up there in about thirty minutes.
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    I saw my first one in person a few days ago on the road in Lexington KY and really loved the appearance. They have some great TV commercials also they almost had me sold. At first glance I thought that I might actually consider a Caddy for the first time in my life (at age 30). I also initially thought it might spell really trouble for our M's at it's price-point.

However, upon further review...

The 300M clearly outclasses this car! The CTS seems flat-out featureless by comparison. A 220 hp V6? I expected a good 'ol V8! Compare the CTS on Caddy's website to the M. The "Cadilac Advantage" points are in obscure areas like the .5 gallon larger fuel tank and daytime running lights.

GLAD I HAVE THE M!
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    You forgot to mention the people who wash their engine with the garden hose while with is running :). With all the warning labels for everything now, I am surprized they don't have one for that.
    I too have seen the CTS. I think, like Chrysler (back in 98) has a great idea. To bad they (like Chrysler) didn't really follow through with the Idea. Design I hate it (CTS) it should have had a V8, in it. I like the commericals too, except that show an early 60s Caddy, then lead on to the CTS. They should have had a Deville in there instead. For the CTS commerical they should of had a Cimmeron then go to the CTS.
    Vee have ourr veeys of makking you attend. You don't vant us to have to send Bruno after you do you?
    Have a nice day, or else.
    The Organization.
    The vents are designed to extract hot engine bay air to the out side. The added benifit of this is that it forces cleaner air into the wheel wells to extact the dusty air, that is generated there.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    We went today and I loved it!

Getting there though was annoying. The M is extremely loud and I think the tires may need a little less air. Mainly, we were all almost deaf after getting to Baltimore 2 1/2 hours later. And, these stupid tires now seem to have developed a vibration again, it could be felt and seen. And the ride, well, it's been fellin' kind of course and gravely lately. Okay, enough M trash talk, to the show!

I went on a mission today, to find which cars had the most room, were built well, or were the chinkiest. I found the follwing:

Best front seat room, comfort: Pontiac Aztec (don't laugh, really!)
    Best back seat room, comfort: Lexus LS430 (ahh, power seat controls, massager, and heat!)
    Crappiest built: Saturn S-coupe & Kia Sportage (yuck!)
    Best built: All the Bimmers, some of the MB's, and all the VW's.

I actually didn't pay all that much attention to the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep displays this time. They had 1 M, a 2002 Steel Blue & Lt. Taupe with Lux., Roof, Stereo, Chromes. I sat in this one. Didn't seem much different than ours except the leather felt thicker and wasn't as shiny and the wood trim was much nicer. The blue isn't a bad color, none of us likes it much though. The Light Taupe is a lot better looking than the grayish Agate we have.

They also had the Chrysler Phaeton and Dodge Charger R/T concepts. I really like them both, the Chrysler looked like a Rolls Royce of some sort and the Charger was very cool.

But, what was the mother (and M owner) drooling over? A Chevy Trailblazer, a Suburban, an Envoy, a Yukon, and a Yukon XL Denali. She loved them all and even my dad really liked most of them. I did too! Yeah, I know what you'll all think, yuck, SUV's! But, I must say, they're really comfy, big, and I can guarntee that they're quieter and smoother on the road than our M!

What was wierd though, was that I never really found a car that was either all that big or easy to get into. For a lot of them, they looked like there was a lot of room but weren't particularly easy to get into or didn't have much space once inside. When we got back out to the M, I couldn't believe how easy it was to just slip right into and how comfy it felt. Driving home it even seemed to ride nicer than when we first came, was smoother and didn't rattle. This car is strange.

I took some pics and will upload them soon. Oh, as for the CTS, they had 2. One was on a turntable and the other was open for people to explore. I had wanted to get in and check it out, but it was always filled with people! I never had a chance. Some of you seem to put down the engine, but I have to tell you, after reading and watching several tests of the car, it is no slouch especially with the stick. It's definately not any slower than an M. And as for the quality, it's much like a German built VW or BMW, that is, as close as a 1st attempt by GM can get. I like it myself, styling included.

One good thing for the M: On the highway, the engine is amazing. It quiets so to be barely heard and has and endless amount of speed on tap to blast pass just about anyone. Too bad it's not like that at more common speeds!

See ya later!
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    3 words...Prowler Pro Gears! (or just get the M special) They put that nearly unmatchable HP to use off the line.

Cincinnati gets that display next week...looking forward to it!

Was the Dodge Charger still powered by natural gas?

One more thing...how do you know the CTS will be of build quality? Come on now dude...seriously! Comparing it to VW isn't exactly a compliment either!!!
    Yeah, the Charger was still powered by natural gas.

And the CTS, I wasn't talking reliability, i was talking, panel fit, paint quality, material thickness and fits, and overall solidity. Kind of like a VW, which is built very well, reliable or not.

ProwlerPro Gears? I don't think so, we would never put that kind of $$ into our car. And the Special? Both of my parents agree that it's just plain ugly. They hate the grill, the gray ground effects, the wheels, and the 2-tone interior. I think it's nice but after experiances with our 00', don't know if I'd want one myself.
    Guess what I was squirming around in today? A new 2002 Red & Parchment CL Type-S! I must say, it's a very nice car, built well of quality pieces and good looking. But, though not as small as I thought it would be, it would still be kind of cramped for us. I also tried out a Green TL Type-S and it was similarly nice but still didn't seem all that big. Love those front seats though!

I took 2 pics, will have them up soon!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    beach15-

That CL-S is the same as mine. Seats are extremely comfortable and well bolstered. It's not very often that anyone is in my back seat, so that's of no concern to me. It is quite comfortable back there too. Can't wait to see all your pics.

I was going to go to the RI Car Show, but I forgot all about it. My niece didn't call me to remind me because she said that she heard it wasn't that great.

Maybe I'll go to the NY car show next month. I like to see those concept cars. Did you see the Pontiac Grand Prix G-force model? 280HP!!

fastdriver
    If I get the neighbor to clean and loan you her CL-S will you consider coming out for the San Diego Intl. Auto Show? lol
    The weekend looks iffy for me unless it rains, in which case I could go on Sunday (normally mountain biking day). Monday might work too. I have to take the inlaws BACK to the airport at some point, and I believe it's presidents day so you might have off. I'll let you know this week.
  • achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    OK,so none of the parts houses here knew whatthey were and wanted to jerk me around about ordering something they didn't know about. I frustrated myself endlessly trying to find an online site that navigated worth a tinker's D**m and would actually sell me something. DOES ANYONE KNOW AN ONLINE SITE THAT WILL ACTUALLY SELL BOSCH PART NUMBER 4428. Pardon my yelling, it is just a sign of frustration.
    Here are some sites to try. If you don't find them, I'll personally buy them and ship them to you. :)

http://www.clubplug.net/retail_bosch.html
    http://www.autobarn.net/bosplat4spar.html
    Price is $5.09...a little cheaper than the others.

https://www.olyonline.com/Plus4.htm
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    In Virginia they are sold at Auto Zone stores.

http://www.autozone.com

Okay, here's the CL pics, it's all that I've uploaded so far:

Sorry if they take a little time to load. I don't know who that is in both of the pictures either.

Sdmike, you see how dark these pics are? It was actually fairly bright inside, but I wasn't sure what flash was what or which one to use. Which one should I have used?
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    So were you trying to send a message in that second picture with all those MB logo's in the background? LOL!
    digital cameras take pictures like they're ISO100 or ISO200, so indoor pics turn out darker. I usually force the full flash when shooting indoors rather than letting the camera decide (auto). Any editing program can lighten those up a little and make them great.

• fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

Mmmm... let me check my frequent flyer miles! :-))) I know you'll take pics, so it won't be too bad not seeing it in person.

beach15-

Thanks for the pics! Yep, just like mine.

fastdriver
    Thanks, all. AutoBarn has an online site that actually works! The shipping was breathtaking, but I'm accustomed to that. Bought some headlight bulbs for wife's Sebring the other day - not from AutoBarn. FedEx 2nd Day was more than the purchase price and it took five days to get them. I complained to shipper and FedEx, but was, customarily, ignored. Just another of the perks you get living in one of Uncle Sam's colonies. Actually, though, the USPS is fast and relatively cheap, but shippers don't like it since it won't pick up and probably more importantly, won't pay "commission."
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Has anyone had complaints from passengers regarding the lack of legroom? 5'9" wife advises me that she is very uncomfortable due to this.
    Is there any home remedy (for the weekend tinkerer)? Can the dealer extend the travel of the seat rearward? Got some long trips coming up; need comfortable wife. Thanks
    Rick
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I'm 6'4" and think the leg room is pretty good in the front passenger seat. Can't stretch my legs fully out with knees straight, but I don't know that there is any car that allows that. Try tilting the seat bottom so the back edge is all the way down, and the front edge is all the way up - that seems to maximize the leg room and provide more support under the lower thighs.
    You talking about the M? I'm 5'11" and find that the passenger seat has plenty of room for me (although, granted, I spend 99.99% of my time in the other front seat). Try leaning the seat back a little.
  • on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    sdmike- hey,my wife`s going to school for massage therapy too! she grads in april,thank goodness. its been a long 2 yrs.

sirharper- do you have the dates on the cincy auto show yet? i havent seen anything on it. i`ll definatly be there! maybe we`ll cross paths down there.
    ...who lives in a pineapple under the sea...

(sorry..babysitting getting to me)
    sounds like our house this morning! we had leftover pizza and B-D cake for breakfastwhile watching spongebob! the boys love it when dad cooks.
    by the way,i think we at least covered all the food groups!
    My wife's been going for several years now. The regular schedule has been interruped by being a mommy three times over. Her previous job, before she became a stay-at-home mom 4 years ago, was as a certified veternary nurse (speciality in small animal opthamology). She decided to pursue massage as a hobby and is VERY good at it. Her health background, even though in the animal world, has made her anatomy/physiology training easier. I don't know it works where you are, but in CA you can first get certified as a Massage Technican with a certain amount of training, but it takes hundreds of hours of training (plus about 50 hours of practical application) and board certification for Massage Therapist. She's done this spring...finally. I told her she could take any classes she wants as long as her practice pays for it. Hasn't happened yet, but that's the goal. :) What gets expensive is all the supplemental classes she's taking because of interest areas - accupressure, homeopathic medicine, aroma therapy. The massage table also hit my wallet pretty hard (about what I spent on Big Red mods..heh).
    here(ohio),they dont offer the tech certification,you have to complete all the schooling first.she done the 50 hrs thing too,but she says the hardest was the cadaver study! had to do that for 2 sessions. we got the table,and the chair. i think i have been on the table 3 times so far..whats wrong with this picture? they told her ohio has some of the strictest laws in the us,and ohio doesnot recognize any other states license.i thing someone in her class is from ca. previously.
    Sounds like my house! The baby had eggs and steak (she won't eat baby food) and the boys (7 and almost 5) helped themselves to cheerios and shreaded wheat out of the bag, cups of milk, gum, and popsicles. It's pizza for lunch for everyone.

Gosh, the Santa Ana winds are blowing today. It's about 80 degrees!! Wish my wife didn't have the M!!
    I think things have changed out here. My wife needs to pass the national boards, not just the CA ones, for licensing. A big problem that they had in CA is hookers taking an easy path to being called masseuses. Caused law enforcement problems because they KNEW they were prostituting, but they had licenses for massage. Over the last few years it's been turned real strict. My wife says that when she first started her massage training there were a couple "interesting" girls in the group. Now it's all professionals.

I agree with you on the table. We got a soft, superpadded table from custom craftworks, and I've been on it a total of 2 or 3 times. One of us has to watch the kids (dammit). We do, however, trade services with a chiropractor friend. Her husband gets massages and I get twisted and broken. Hardly seems fair. :)

Hey...you wife have the infamous "no hanky panky on the massage table" rule?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    LOTFOL
    yup,we got that rule also! i always thought the man was supposed to make the rules of the house? we got one from stronglite and its thick too.i think it would make a great place....ooops,thats another board!
    the wife is going to take both boards too. might as well get their..OUR!..moneys worth.she will prolly work out of our home as im building her a room in the basement.hey,i can use the write off! its about 50 and raining here,i cant complain,last 3 days been hi 60`s and sunny. thats areal strange thing in feb here!but i`ll take it.

really been workin hard on the wife about that carlsbad meet. we always wanted to come out there,but just been too busy.i`ll keep trying workin on her tho. i told her we might even get an award for the furthest traveled! she just laughed at me.
    oil of course!,and on a vinyl bed at that!
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    I havent had a chance to get them installed yet... looking at next week or the week after... I'll let you know if they work...
    definately oil. Various types for various purposes. Scenting available. lol!

Hey on1wheel, the best tool of my wife's trade is a home-made heat pack. Take an old tube sock, the bigger the better, and fill it with brown rice (no water). Microwave for a couple of minutes and VIOLA..the most incredible, pliable and moldable heat pack you can imagine. You can use it over and over. I often sit at my computer with an old soccer sock draped over my shoulders. :)
    Tell your wife that if you make it out for the meet you'll not only get the furthest distance award but she'll be able to enjoy the gorgeous southern california weather. Heck, I'll even find you some discount tickets to sea world or something. :)
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    I had a minor motocycle accident about three years ago and pinched a nerve in my six vertibrae.
    I had a lot of pain in my neck and shoulder plus numbness down my left arm and into my hand. My doctor got me onto codeine for the pain (hated that stuff) and in to physio. That didn't help much so I tried the chryropratic route and hated that even worse than the codeine. A friend suggested I try massage. I went once every two weeks for six months and now go once a month for maintenance. I've have absolutly no pain or numbness since. A lot of people may knock it but until you've tried it it's hard to explain what a difference it can make if your hurting.
    Besides it feels so good.
    now what we need in addition to heated seats is MASSAGE seats for the M. I mean, what does the M stand for, huh? ;)
    mike- i`ll definatly swing that past here,but we have a seaworld here in ohio.i thing she`d go more for a map and maybe a tour to see the celeb homes.i know the kids would vote for legoland of course! i will try that sock thing.

uxca- your right on the benefits of massage! it can do wonders for tendonitis and carpal tunnel alse.i crashed a fourwheeler a cpl years ago,and got busted up real good.no crashes on the bike yet,thank goodness.
    ok..try the "world famous" san diego zoo and the wild animal park. Awesome places. Maybe lunch in La Jolla on the coast, and moonlit walks on the beach (oh..nevermind..kids). We don't really have the "celeb home" thing here, but we won't be far from Rancho Santa Fe, where the houses start at $1 million and go up..a lot!
    thats one of the most important options the wife enjoys on my bike,that massaging seat on my buell!(harley 1200 motor) lol
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Ok, I know this has been discussed before, but will non-XS type bulbs 9006 and 9005 work in the 300M. PIAA does not offer 9006XS or 9005XS bulbs so they have a 90 deg bend in them. Pics I've seen of an Intrepid seems to work and there's plenty of slack in the wiring harness. However, I've read that the 300M lights mount different, something about a bolt-on holding ring vs. twist-in twist-out mounting.

Can anyone who's replaced their bulbs confirm what the options and restrictions are. I'm interested in upgrading to the PIAA Super Whites, since the Special HIDs sound terribly expensive.
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    I am 43 years old. I always loved the events of the Winter Olympics such as Luge, Bobsled, and now Skeleton. I thrill at downhill skiing and ski jumping.

Why is it that this Half Pipe, X Games, Xtreme stuff just bores the living crap out of me? Do you have to be 17 years old to appreciate it? I feel like I am watching MTV [non-permissible content removed]. (sorry about that)

Please don't be too harsh on me, I am just middle age. :)
    I have a friend with a truly disreputable older Riviera. He wired in an inverter and put one of those infomercial massagers under the sheepskin in his passenger seat. He speaks highly of it.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    ...this morning and I come across this streak on the left rear door that simply won't come out! I grab all my paint finishing toys from claybar to GS27 polish but it won't come out! I start thinking that the guys who tinted the windows on Friday must have dripped some sort of adhesive on my paint. Just then, I swing around to change my vantage point and the streak disappears. It was a reflection off my wife's car!!! You can all get up off the floor and stop laughing now!!!