Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    I feel your pain. Wait till the sleep overs begin. That's total insanity.

-vman
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Didn't get Big Red out, and found blue chalk doodles on my passenger door. *sigh* I guess the one nice thing about these get-togethers is that a lot of the moms are CUTE. ;)
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Thanks. The new ones have gray cones and the coax assembly appears to not extend past the basket frame - I'm going the take the plunge and see how the new ones fit.
    We expect a full report on the Kappas.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    went in with my final warranty list---5 of the items they denied saying couldnt reproduce---I showed them the seat movement and they stated thats its "normal" for my vehicle and said they noted same play in a 2001 model on the lot---they said it didnt apply to my vehicle (build in Nov of 99---a yr 2000 M). Funny how I dont have the problem with the passenger seat---

does someone here have access to the full TSB with details as to which vehicle it applies so I have something to show this stubborn dealer?

Also mentioned the light show---the flickering overhead and dash lights which only occur occasionally---I dont think they were able to reproduce it but it must be a common problem as they didnt give me an argument on that one----they are ordering a new BCM to solve the problem

also mentioned the short range of the universal remote--they are installing a new antenna---

They other stuff they couldnt reproduce---a rattle or metalic sound on acceleration with cold engine --fine when warm

Tranny bump when decelerating to about 15mph and then slightly accelerating--I have noticed it several times but they couldnt reproduce--said there were no trouble codes in the computer---guess I have to live with it like many other M owners--

Whine at around 2000rpm on gradual acceleration----

slight bearing noise from engine area--this was very slight and they couldnt reproduce it so I guess I'll forget about that one.

I had the differential fluid changed (at 35K) and an oil change---I thought it best to follow guidelines in the owners manual although I had never changed the diff fluid in any of my other cars--some with well over 100K on them when I sold them.

So much for my negative 2* --- at least I'm getting a few things solved....

Warranty is now almost expired---I plan on flying solo now as I generally dont believe in paying out $1000+ for another few years coverage---I believe in good maintenace and will take my chances--the M overall seems fairly reliable except for some minor quirks--

EasyRider300M
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    let's see now, K-cars were early 80's if these kids were pre-K that would put them in their mid 20's. Doesn't sound like you have anything to complain about. :>)
    Unless your getting too old to party with the twentysomething bunch. LOL
    Maybe the club can pay for an Allpar membership so we can get full text of the TSBs. Anyway, here's what I found. This TSB applies to ALL 99-01 300Ms (not the 2002)

99: * 23-019-01 AUG 01 Power Seat - Moves Fore and Aft Slightly When Driving
    Thanks! haha
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Took my '01 LHS in for the same problem. The good news my Dodge 5* said no problem even though the ref TSB was only for 300M's he would order the bolts and he put them in about a week later. The bad news, The write up guy said this would not fix the problem. Well right and wrong it fixed it for about a month now its back but not as bad.
    Guess I'll just wait and see if it gets worse, still plenty of warranty left.
    I gave that TSB to the dealer and he claims my vehicle is not covered--I am calling him tomorrow---

what does the TSB say about Chrome wheel care and maintenance----

also what does TSB recommend about sticking windows---do they recommend new gaskets or just silicone---

Hey otto: do you know anything about the TSB for the slightly moving seats---can you get the full text so I can show the dealer?

Thanks guys
    Easyrider300M
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Finally, here's pic of my trunk all done!

http://glennbp.bizland.com/audi19.jpg

do you have a wide angle lens--take more pics!---of speakers etc---nice neon---where you gonna put the golf clubs?
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    If I read right, someone stated the door speakers are bass only? If this is true, then why worry about the dual cones, as the speakers would produce no highs anyhow? Is there a better woofer only that would fit?
    I'm sure you've seen this, but this is the list of TSBs for your car. You might want to print it out and carry it in as proof. Sorry, but I don't have access to the full text, but apparently the repair includes replacing the seat bolts.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/12/001239EO.html
    Nice set-up glenn. I've got to come see it in person soon. Here's mine.

http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_47097edceda19378b9374ac24c/i-2.JPG

NOT!
    I think your nose is growing....---

I am not giving up on this---the dealer is getting another call from me tomorrow---my car is going in for the BCM and antenna for the remote and I want that seat FIXED---I sent an email to JAMES---the service writer on the EZboard and hope he can respond with the full text of the tsb-
    now I know what Fastdriver was talking about!
    I don't get it. Doesn't the dealer make money when they do warranty work? Doesn't DC pay them? If so, why are they so reluctant to cover stuff under warranty, especially when there's a TSB out for it?
    isnt this the same device that some here have mentioned at much cheaper prices--(like about $30 at Kmart): http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=528&e=7&cid=528&u=/ap/20020612/ap_on_hi_te/backup_deaths_1
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    based backup alerts are much more expensive, and more accurate, than the sonar-based ones. They might even be able to see through bumpers and are not affected by snow accumulation. My sonar-based one works just fine for parallel parking:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/exterior/backup_alert/

• 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    systems on my car. I have the Kmart ones that cost me $27 on sale, and I bought some others for as low as $1 at yard sales and flee markets. One with two sensors is located in the rear and the other is located in the front. I like them a lot although I guess they are not as accurate as the ones costing ten times as much. They have kept me from hitting things and that is the point of them.
    Nice setup, I just hope you never have to get at your spare tire. :)
    You are turning into Avalanche. So now you made you M into a 5 door hatch back????????? With those speakers exposed, be careful of those golf tees and other sharp objects.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    easyrider300m-

ALWAYS a hassle with them. Nothing is ever easy! The customer is always WRONG or doesn't know what he's talking about. You need this for $30,000?

sdmike2-

Sure they get paid, but when you're in the cost cutting stage, I'm sure it's much more difficult to get reimbursed. The dealers are VERY reluctant to do "warranty" work IF they think they won't be reimbursed!

fastdriver
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    The service manual doesn't get that specific so I'm not sure.

The speakers I'm getting have a two way cross over in them so if I get ambitious and do some minor splice and dice I can get the high frequency signal from the sail speakers down to the door. While highs are directional, the more sources you add the better the dispersion.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Wow, NICE stereo installation! I've been out of date when it comes to the latest in car stereo installations, but yours is the best I've seen in a long time. Makes me wanna do something with mine!
    Nice stereo setup Glenn. Kinda makes me embarrased when I show everyone the 8 track tape system I installed.

-vm
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Just passed 10K miles on my 2002 CL-S. No issues! Only trip to the dealer was at 3K miles for a defected radio. They replaced it in 1 day.

Yes it's no 300M :( I do miss the room, & looks, but it will do.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jasontalbot

You got an 8 track. That beats my crystal am set. I have when you go over railroad track and it changes stations, and you have to move the needle to find it again. :) I agree I do like glen's setup too. It gives a new term to smoken mirrors.
    We need to come out with a plan that limits the Mods. I say no more then four a month. I may have to quit my job to keep up with all the mods that keep comming out. So little time, so little money, so much mods to do.
    11,000 miles on Big Red and aside from the mods, the only work done on her has been oil changes and tire rotations.
    Yep, turning her into a hatchback was one of my mods. LOL
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    OK guys, for those of you that took that pic seriously, I apologize. That is the trunk of an Audi. My setup isn't even close to what that car has had done to it. I received a zip file with about 30 stereo install pics all of which were that nice or nicer. Couldn't resist the temptation to tease you all a little! Actually being a little familiar with car audio stuff, I can't imagine who has the time and money to do stuff like that. Has got to be a fortune!
    Would anyone be interested in a 300M calendar featuring many of the famous 300Ms and owners from here and the 300M Enthusiasts Club?
    How about an accompanying "Behind the scenes" video of the calendar photo shoots with interviews of the 300M owners?
    If there's enough interest in this, please let me know and I'll get the ball rolling. You can email me privately or post it here.

-vman
    mike@martin-productions.com
    Man, you had me. I was even showing all the guys I work with the picture. You were right in saying it must of cost a fortune. Regardless, it was cool as hell.
    Had me duped too. I wondered about the file name "audi19", but I thought it was a typo for "audio". lol!
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Yeah, you got me too! I was just about to tease you about no spare tire access....Nothing surprises me when you have mod fever, the internet for ideas (see cardomain.com), and the $$$ to fulfill every wish!!
    Not every dealer has terrible service. Plus, in over 30 years I have found no overall significant correlation between manufacturer and quality of dealer service. Dealer service is really a localized issue.
    The factory speakers are single cones but they are not bass only. The amp has crossovers built in that cut-off the really low frequencies so the doors don't rattle and buzz (at least that was the plan...some of our doors do buzz anyway!)
    I have a print-out of the TSB for the Chrome Wheel care somewhere. If I can find it I'll post it, but from what I remember it was really just common sense stuff: "Don't use harsh chemicals or acid", etc. and "Be sure to wash off salt after driving on snow covered roads." Nothing really new...
    I had the same problem. It's the switch, not the BCM. There is an intermittent open circuit in the switch that TELLS the BCM, "Hey, the dash lights should go in -funeral car mode-"

Don't let the dealer blame the BCM...it is just getting wrong info from the switch....
    Looks like Chrysler is on a roll now! They're the only US Co. making money.

http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0206/12/autos-513079.htm

fastdriver
    It's a relative term. They say they MIGHT break even before interest and taxes if the economy strengthens. Lots of ifs, but better than losing 1.9 billion. :)

Must be the money they saved by eliminating the engine cowling and the chrome shifter in the M.
    sdmike2-

LOL... That's what I thought too. Don't forget the chrome exhausts.

fastdriver
  • mdmarkmdmark Member Posts: 3
    On my car ('99 300M) there is a button in the overhead cluster labled "ASC". I figured that since it is positioned with the sunroof controls it must be related to the roof. However, there is no mention of it in the owner's manual and I have never seen it on any pictures or drawings of the overhead controls. I have owned the car for about 3 weeks now and I think I recently stumbled on the function. When you turn off the ignition with the roof open and the button non-engaged (backlit green like all others), the roof will automatically close. If the button is enabled (backlit red), the roof will remain open. Is that the sole function of the ASC (automatic sunroof control?) switch? Why no mention of it in the owner's manual or evident in other photos. Is this a common 300M feature? Also, is there any way to access the archives of the 300M board. Edmunds has a general Town Hall search but how does one search topics on specific boards. Thanks.
  • bill2002mbill2002m Member Posts: 1
    Mark:

Sounds to me like someone may have had an aftermarket sunroof/moonroof installed in your car. ASC may equal: Automatic Sunroof Control???

I had one put in my 98 Dodge Stratus ES a couple of years ago and you couldn't tell the install from factory with the exception of the control switch... (Auto Trim Design in Frederick, MD installed it)

Hope this helps...

Bill
    Frederick MD
    2002M
  • dem0sdem0s Member Posts: 5
    I have not seen or heard of this button. Wish I had one though.
    that isn't stock, but I like it
    ASC stands for American Sunroof Company. I used to have one, it's an aftermarket sunroof. The have some neat functions that no other sunroof does.
    In fact, if the sunroof was installed correctly you should find an installation label somewhere in your trunk area (probably behind one of the panels). When I had mine put in, ASC required it. The label would have the installation company's name and date on it, which in turn would help if you have problems with it you can take it back to the installer.