Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    before I changed it out.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    no1trust-

The radio on Christine was replaced early on because it was defective. I did have the "upgraded" Infinity stereo that originally started out as 320 watts. Somewhere along the way, DC said it was 360 watts.

Anyway, never had a problem with the CD player. The only problem was that if I turned it up too loud, the driver's door/speaker would vibrate. As for the sound, it was okay, but not what I expected for an "upgraded" system. I still say that the best system I ever had was in my 1994 Infiniti J-30. It was a BOSE! Before that radio, I never really knew what a GOOD stereo sounded like. Of course, BOSE designs the stereo according to the manufacturer's specs and the car's interior. The BOSE in my Acura CL-S is NOTHING like the Infiniti J-30 BOSE, but better then the Infinity in Christine.

fastdriver
  • Options
    Welcome to the duele club.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    do you know if the cats and main pipe are stainless steel---If so, I think I would prefer to use stainless for the muffler and the added pipes---any problem cutting the bumper--did you taper the edge or use the edge guard like sdmike? I plan on doing the same system using the same tips.
  • Options
    bobspcbobspc Member Posts: 20
    Started to change plug out to Bosch 4, on the second t25 screw I attempted to remove the head stripped When I looked at the others it looked as though several had distorted heads from the factory like they had been over tightened and begun to strip the head. Any ideas how I can get the screw out short of going to dealer? I have tried a larger t27 but still no luck. Head on screw seems too soft and continues to strip.
    Help would be appreciated otherwise here comes 5* will try to get them to replace under warranty since it appears to me the problem is an assembly problem at the factory.
  • Options
    Sears sells ome screw removel bits. Not sure if they would fit in the space though.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I saw a red 300M today with newer taillights up on a tow bed with its entire back end smashed in. Horrible!
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Well, I found the post for the speaker wiring. Sure enough, both front speakers were reversed. The sound quality is greatly improved and sounds as good as my '01. Can ANYONE tell me why they removed the amber lights from the three equalizer sliders on the '02 stereo??? Otto?? Also, why don't the Specials have the Infinity emblem over the "premium sound" lettering on the front tweeters at the windows? Does anyone know if the emblems can be purchased separately?
    P.S. The HID lights are totally cool!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Why not check your amps to see if your 01 is an AB amp your 02 is an AC.
    If that is the case it is only 3 bolts and two plugs to swap out and defiantly worth the trouble.
    My 01 LHS had the AC amp in it. I bought an AB amp from an 01 300M. Figured I would have to listen to both for a while to notice the difference, boy was I wrong. I put in a cd and adjusted the volume and eq to the best max level with the old amp then switched amps the difference was amazing. It seems to have twice the power. I now wonder if the AC amps are for the standard system and the are just using them up in the premium systems because of an impeding change to the stereo in the new models figuring most people , like myself, don't know bean about stereo systems. If you still have your 01 I would defiantly check this out and do the swap the leasing company will never catch on.
    Many happy miles in your new ride :>)
  • Options
    chevydude2chevydude2 Member Posts: 36
    I doubt that Sears will have what I will describe, but maybe.... Hanson Mfg makes a set of "easy-outs" that have a square head... the business end is a spiral left hand configuration. They are short and stubby and should get into the t-25 opening enough to get a good grip on the hole. If not, you can grind the end of a tap flat and jam it into the hole... As it turns counter-clockwise it bites into the screw. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I used a T-25 bit on a 3/8" rachet with lots of downward pressure and soft counter-clockwise torque. If you are patient you can get these off without stripping. Once loose, then you can use a T-25 screwdriver to remove the rest of the way. The threads are fine, so a lot of turns will be required, hence the screwdriver.

Reinstall them with the screwdriver. There is no need to put them on as tight as the factory.

I agree an easy-out should probably get the stripped ones out. If you are real desperate, take some channel locks and grab onto the side of the head and twist. Maybe you'll get it out. Try the easy-out first though.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I have a garage and it's relatively dark with the doors closed. I just shined a flashlight into the sensor on the rearview mirror and watched the outside one. You can see it darken and lighten as the light is moved away and towards the sensor.

I've been on a crusade replacing the so called "Infinity" speakers that came from the factory. So far I've replaced the rear deck and lower door speakers with REAL Infinity speakers which has yielded a major improvement. Yesterday I replaced the wing speakers with a pair of Kicker R25 tweeters I got from Glennbp and that was worth the effort. The sound from the factory speakers was scratchy, harsh, and lacking detail.

Next I'll replace the rear door speakers with another pair of Kicker's now that I've worked out a screw in mounting method for them. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the center dash speaker but I'll figure out something.

The Infinity AB amp won't win you any stereo competitions but with good quality speakers attached, it can generate pretty repectible sound at an annoyingly loud level - according to my wife. :)
  • Options
    You mentioned an article on the 04 Charger in R&T. I looked all over my August copy of it and couldn't find a thing about the 04 Charger. A day or so later my Sept. issue of Motortrend showed up and it had a page and a half blurb about the Charger. Including the engine line up: 3.7, 4.7, 5.7.

Did you mean Motortrend instead of R&T? If it was R&T what month and page???
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Recently, I tried changing my front door speakers with a pair of Jensen coaxles. When I did, the base was suddenly non-existent. Although you could see the woofer part moving back and forth, there was hardly any bass at all. They sounded great in the store, though. Needless to say, I took them back and re-installed my factory speakers.

Does anyone know why this happened? I heard that the front speakers had some sort of crossovers to split the bass and tweeters. Was that the problem? I'd still like to change the front door speakers, but not if I have to rewire everything.

BTW, my car is a 1999.

-vman
  • Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    i know why it happened? you bought cheap speakers. i replaced mine with infinity reference 6 1/2's and 6x9's in the rear deck they sound great.
    here are some reasonably priced good speakers for the doors.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-lBtyKGrREX3/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=52000&I=023PCXT652&o=m&a=0
  • Options
    In changing mine out I found two things:

1. The door speakers signal is strictly low frequency, there are no highs being fed to the lower speaker. When I first installed the new speakers I wired in the crossover they provided to split the low and high signals. No highs were present. I ended up splicing into the wire for the wing speakers to get the highs for the coax tweeter on the lower door speaker.

2. If I hooked the wires up directly to the low side of the Infinity Kappa's, the bass was weak, but if I inserted the crossover they provided and hooked up to the low side of the crossover the bass came back.

If the Jensen's had a built in crossover I'd guess their crossover settings were a poor match to what the amp was putting out. That was the reason I stuck with Infinity speakers. I figured their attitude about crossover points would be reflected in their retail speakers and they'd work best with that amp.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    now THAT'S what dualies should look like. The stainless looks great with the color of the car. Nicely done! Now just get some dental tape and get those darned chrysler letters off the back and you've got it! :)
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Now it's time for a basslink :)

As for the side airbags...I wouldn't sweat it. A lack of them wouldn't have kept me from buying Big Red if she didn't have them. However, it sounds like you're having a little buyer's remourse. You're probably over-analizing things. Think of it this way... if you take the Special back are you going to regret it 30 days from now? Want to trade it for a really nice red '01? ;)
  • Options
    are those new 6x9's much better than the factory? are they much bassier?--- did you have those in before doing the SUBS? would just doing the front door speakers make much of a difference?

videoman----do those tips shine like a mirror or are they like a satin finish?
  • Options
    yes it made a big difference. just doing the doors was a big improvement i could crank it louder with the bass setting all the way up. with the subs i have the bass set at half way. the 6x9's sound so much better, than those paper ones from the factory. plus i cut out the rear deck so now more of the highs come through.
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    looks great! You're really going to push me to do this aren't you :D I definitely like the tips, and if all goes well it'll be done in the fall :)
  • Options
    those 6 1/2's have a tweeter in them right?----isnt there a crossover for the door speakers to cut out the highs?
  • Options
    do those door replacements screw right into original holes? any problems mounting them?
  • Options
    Personally I would suggest getting a set of components speakers. The individual 6.5" speakers will have bass and tweeter, and you won't be using the tweeter at al, so it's a bit of a waste. The component speakers are split by manufacture - the lows to one, the highs to the other.

I personally like Pioneer, and am strongly considering the TS-C1653 or TS-C604. The former is current, the latter an out of manufacture model, but both regularly available on ebay for about $100-120 shipped.
  • Options
    they don't line right up, but it's all plastic there, so i just used some self starting screws, i use drywall screws available at home depot, they hold well, i've been keeping a check on them and after a month of slamming the doors they are still tight. no sound comes through the tweeters, so yes they are a waste, but the woofer is a lot larger and will handle as much bass as the system can give them. they look cool through the grids because they're white.
  • Options
    wiil the tweeter fit in the factory enclosure by the window? Have you heard them yet in an M?
  • Options
    did you just use original wiring to hook up the new speakers or did you wire in another crossover?

do the factory 6x9 have a tweeter in them or are they just for bass? Did you replace the factory front tweeters?
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I had the same problem trying to get the Bosch's installed in my M. Got 5 out no problem, last screw had the same thing. Almost a defective head so the screw driver would not seat properly. We gave up and left the original plugs in. That was 3 months ago. I have been driving around with the Bosch plugs in my trunk ever since. (funny, but for some reason they just don't work too well back there!) I just haven't gotten around to trying to get that screw out since.
  • Options
    Keep the special---or go for the one with the wing. I think with the 01-02's the new style tail lights took away from the upturned rear end somewhat (the white part of the taillight is different). Adding the wing puts it back a little IMO.

Re: the corner speakers. I wonder why they keep cheapening them. If you look at at 99/00 they are a nice gray metal grill with Infinity label. Then the 01's went to a cheap looking plastic with a small circular grill. I wonder if the grill from a 99/00 would fit.
  • Options
    Looks nice. I have the T815's. I wish they had come with the grill on the inside -- looks good.

Someone asked if the stainless are shiney -- yes they have a mirror like finish. Pretty similar to chrome. I keep Zaino on them just to keep it that way.
  • Options
    Well, they are not the same size. They are like 1" diameter, whereas the factory ones are I believe 2.5" or so. However, the kickers that have been recommended aren't the same size either ;) I believe you'll have to find a way to attach it - like screwing into the plastic, or using some sort of epoxy (the tweeter is light, so it doesn't have to hold much). No, I haven't used them in the M, but in my 98 concorde I swapped with pioneers and had a huge difference.
  • Options
    Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1848658798

I have a feeling this guy doesn't know which end is up (or used for what for that matter). He's got three wheels listed - razorstars on the car pic, the 16" sebring/concorde wheels on the top pic and the 01/02 wheels on the bottom :-D

• Options
    how do you get access to the tweeters---I tried pulling the grill of the tweeters off and it would budge---whats the secret--do I pry it with a screwdriver?
  • Options
    yes
    yes
    no
    :)
  • Options
    Easy - I originally had the same problem - but didn't think to look at the housing right ;) Open the door and look at the side of the housing that would be hidden (right side on the drivers door, left on the pass) and you'll see a couple of screws. Just unscrew and the face comes off.

MRL - Unless you can get the dealer to swap the amp, then you'll either have lousy sound or you'll have to buy another which won't be covered either. If you do swap and there is a problem, sure you won't have the orig amp, but the orig sucks anyway :D Honestly I don't think they'd notice and/or care. It's a chrysler stereo, the mechanic will get paid...
  • Options
    I agree with you on the flag speaker enclosers. The 99's are the best looking by far. I wish they would work on the rear doors thought, instead of the blank rear window trim.
  • Options
    The only part that is painted black, was the word "special". So I trimed the the 300M and the borders on the ones I have. Makes it stand out much more. To the Special owners are the sills just on the front or are they on the back door sills too.?
  • Options
    This was asked over at the 300M Enthusiasts Club forum but I'm not confident in the answers I read.

My question is, for those of us going to Detroit then Brampton Canada for the plant tour, what exactly do we need to get into Canada? Is a drivers license enough or do we need a passport, birth certificate, etc.?

What do we say the reason is when we're crossing the border? I was denied access once by telling the truth.

-vman
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    I find that the lights have been removed from the EQ slide controls, the infinity emblem has been removed from the tweeter grilles, The genuine vinyl pouch that the manual comes in is cheaper feeling and looking, and now I find that the headrests do not pivot forward and back-just up and down. And I'm only half way through the owner's manual!!! Is Chrysler in that much financial trouble that the 5-10 dollars they save on a 34,000 dollar car makes that much difference?
  • Options
    Who knows? Maybe the "cost cutting" decisions of the 300M is coming from the Daimler part of the DaimlerChrysler merger.

Who knows? Maybe the 300M was becoming too much of a contender to some of the Mercedes products so they cheapened it a little.

Who knows? Maybe since the 300M will soon be replaced with the 300N, they figured they'd save some bucks for it's development.

Who knows? Maybe I'm just crazy and don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about. Well, that I do know.

-vman
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    On my 99M with single disc changer, the only problem I have had is a stretch about 3 months ago where it would start sticking at one spot on a disc that it had played perfectly previously. I got a price on a replacement unit from Wyckoff but then tried one of those cleaning discs. After running that through a few times the problem disappeared. I will let you know if it reappears on my 3K mile vacation trip for the Cruise,etc.

Side air bags--Would not, and will not, make any difference to this buyer on a future car. If they come with the car fine, but I would evaluate the head room and how much it takes up, and it could actually lead to a no-sale if its a problem. Also, remember that these side bags have been iffy. Caddy had a problem with them on the first year Catera when they were putting a lot of sales-pitch pressure on with TV ads that Zig, etc., and it killed the first year sales when they had to stop production and get the problem solved. Also, Hyundai has been recalling Sonatas this year because of a problem with the bag sensor allegedly causing the bag to go off at the wrong time. Two of my friends got recall notices on their 2002's. So, I don't think not having them would impact most buyers on a sale.

The Street Rods National meet ended here this weekend. Went up on Saturday, and as usual it was awesome. About 5 out of every 7 cars were for sale. Unfortuantely, the heat was incredible. 96 degrees with 50% humidity by noon. AS a result, I spent a lot of time inside the A/C Convention center looking at the vendor offerings. Wish I listened to my dad when I was young and learned more about the inner working of cars. Best deal I saw was a guy trying to sell a 37 Jag convertible for $9.5K. Said he needed the money for college tuition for one of his kids. Nice car but I saw a similar one last year at the Dream Cruise for $11K that was in better shape. Maybe a kit, I don't know. The zip-in sidecurtain windows didn't appeal to me either. Highest priced rod I saw was $70K for the standard looking Ford remake. Problem was, many of these cars were great looking, but they were essentially the same rendition except for paint/upholstery color, and it was hard to distinguish what made one better than another. Would have been hard for me to pick a best of show. Short block Chevy and Corvette engines were the most common non-EOM power plants. A great way to spend a day if the heat stroke potential wasn't so high.
  • Options
    Video - I can't imagine why you were refused entry at the border unless it was because you were going up to do business. It gets sticky there as you have to get permits and such.

Now things have changed a bit since 9/11, but in the past, all you needed to cross the border was a drivers license. Nothing more required. Now, if you are concerned bring a Passport, you will never need more than that anywhere you go. If you don't have a passport, I would strongly suggest getting one just because it's only a couple bucks and it's very useful to have ;) But if you don't a drivers license and birth cert. would be fine, though the bc on it's own is a worthless id as there is no pic on it.

Also, as to why you are going? Just say pleasure - that's why you are going. Don't give too much info - the border guards really don't care ;)

Canada/US relations are good, so going back and forth is not a problem. Same with Mexico - last time I was down near the border in AZ I just walked across - no one even said anything.

btw - Some things to keep in mind - they will search I believe about 1 in 10 or 20 cars somewhat randomly. If they search you, don't worry about it unless you are bringing something back over the border you didn't declare ;)

Recommend you not bring alcohol, fireworks, controlled substances (except perscription meds) or firearms across the border - can cause problems.

Taxes!!! - Save your receipts!! There are two taxes in Canada (GMT and something else, Otto can you help me here ;) One of them is refundable when you come back across the border (if you want). It's about 7% of what you spend. You fill out a form and they will send you the money back since it's for Canadian citizens, not US.
  • Options
    jgranatajgranata Member Posts: 70
    fwiw, from the school of hard knocks; the problem with stripping the torq screws can be eased, but not necessarily erased, by waiting until the engine is completely cooled down; ideally, in the am after it has sat overnight. also, take the socket, put it on an extension, put it on the screw and give it a rap with a hammer, don't kill it but a slight solid tap should do. this should make it easier to get the screws out. jackg
  • Options
    How about Mystery Oil or one of those other penetrating oil left to soak in overnite? Would that help? My dad used to swear by Mystery Oil if that is still on the market.
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    You should not have a problem in crossing the border, as long as you have the normal identification on your person, as an example any photo ID. A passport is desirable but not mandatory yet. Don't bring things with you that might cause suspicion like knives, and firearms. You would be surprised how many people try to bring firearms into Canada, because they are allowed to possess in their home states. This is also for law enforcement people, you cannot bring firearms over any border without proper permits. We also have a GST (goods and services tax) which is 7%. The province of Ontario also has a provincial sales tax which could be around 8%, but this I am not sure of the amount as we do not have this tax in Alberta. I believe you can go to any postal outlet and get a form that you can submit with receipts for your tax money back.

The Cdn dollar has just taken another dump this morning, so bring your money and exchange at a bank NOT a store or you will be ripped off. If you are looking at buying anything for your M in the next while, check out the prices in Cdn dollars and do the math, you will probably save a bundle, plus you get your tax back.

When crossing the border put that smile on your face and enjoy your trip, I wish I could be there to take the tour but it is just to far for me. Have fun and I hope I have answered your questions.
  • Options
    Those from the U.S. going into Canada should check with your car's insurance carrier. I did with mine today [USAA] and they are sending me a card that can be shown to Canadian law enforcement that verifies that I have the right insurance coverages to operate in Canada. Otherwise, if you can't do that, I would carry a copy of the rating sheet from your auto policy to show if you have to.
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I should have mentioned this in my original post. If you are issued a pink slip from your insurance company you will be OK, but it sure doesn't hurt to check. It might not be a bad idea to take out extra travel insurance, it's quite cheap for short hauls. I take it out when I go to Vegas. It's about 10 bucks Cdn for 4 days.
  • Options
    I haven't been to Canada since I was 16, but travel to Mexico (Baja to be exact) quite frequently. Canada seems a much nicer border to pass. Thought I'd offer this comparison: First off, I would never drive my M there (Mexico). Aside from other risks, the paint chips from all the gravel on the road would be enough. Going through the border into Mexico is a non-event,they just wave you through, but every hundred miles or so there are "checkpoints" out in the middle of nowhere (i.e., no one would ever know what happened to you) run by the Mexican military. Basically teenagers with machine guns strapped on their backs. They are looking for guns and ammunition. They have signs saying it's "for your safety." They will have no problem going through your luggage, food etc. looking for stuff. Sometimes they'll even ask for food if they like what they see. I am pretty used to it and if you're nice to them, they will be nice to you, but I know people who will not drive down there for that reason.

Another interesting thing on the drives down there is all the crosses on the side of the road where people have been killed in accidents. There's a lot and it really makes you think and be grateful you don't have to live with those conditions every day.

The end of this month I travel to Costa Rica. They have the 2nd highest accident death rate in the WORLD. I have no intention of driving anywhere, but the biggest risk to my safety I think will be the 2 hour ride from the airport to the hotel and back.
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Twenty-five years ago I drove from El Paso to Mexico City - an adventure, but no serious mishaps. I don't think I would drive long distance in Mexico today, too many stories of rural bandits, etc. On the other hand, London's traffic, narrow streets, odd signage, and left-driving scared the hell out of me just as a pedestrian. Perhaps I'm getting old, but I'll probably limit my driving to the U.S. and Canada and rely on taxis and public transit elsewhere.