Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• drpixeldrpixel Posts: 256
    in Noo Yawk! Congrats, Arby from a fellow Jerseyite, drpixel (Glenn in Union, NJ..) on the imminent delivery of your Special!
    ATTENTION, Sandra D. from PA and Daron A. from CA: the package is in the mail...I repeat the package is in the mail...( toms99: thanks for the cool animated card with greetings from your whole family!
    sleepymw: looked for your website, but could not find it--thought I saw a link somewhere in theses postings, but....have you submitted a 'mugshot' for our rogues Gallery on OUR club web site?
    ASIDE to Rick S. regarding Mugshots...: I know there seems to be a link to a page 2, but time--and responsibilities--AND Chrsitmas shopping wait for for no man. If mugshots are supplied, I will build the page...
    dubson300m...: whereever you are....your clingy will be going out in da mail tomorrow morning. Look for a disk mailer (don't want you to get a bent clingy...) in the next couple of days...
    General..my schweetie has received the news that she will be undergoing rotator cuff surgery on January 15th. To say the least, she's a tad on the freaked out side. She goes for physical therapy for her recently operated on knee, and others there who have had rotator cuff surgery have been telling her horror stories: one guy has to have his wife help dres him in the morning; another has trouble, ummm...cleansing himself after a visit to the porcelain collection, etc., etc.
    I myself have FINALLY gotten approval from the Workman's Compensation Board for surgery on MY left knee. Only took them 1 1/2 years due to an 'oversight' on the part of the insurance company's rep to supply MY lawyer with ONE document that determined a 'causal relationship' regarding the knee injury. And I thought the new year was going to start better than last.....
    Will be off and outta da Fed from Friday on....emails sent to my work email address will go UN-READ until I return in 2002, so....

thas all 4 now, my fellow M-nuts......
    L8R,
    Doc
  • splattsplatt Posts: 328
    Thanks!! I have a fob from a 98 concorde and it's exactly the same. Forgot to turn it in with the trade - oops ;) Figure, it can't hurt to program it.
  • yeah, i sent in a pix for the mugshot to roger... he must not think it's appropriate LOL....

i'll send one to you for you to add in there... :)

uhm... can i have a package too? :P
  • I lived in Union for 10 years before we bought a house in Springfield. I still own the house but have moved down to the Jersey Shore 4 years ago. I commute to my job in Brooklyn 5 days a week. My Corolla is my daily driver for that trip.

I just talked to the dealer. My "Special" is getting prepped as we speak. Tonight I sign the papers and she comes home. "Extremely" happy does not do justice to the way I feel right now.
  • on the 300m club board someone posted on the new computer update chip for the transmission, for those of us who have been living with this shift annoyance...

i called the service dpt, and they told me that there's no TSB for "My" car and therefore, there's no computer chip for it...

what do i have to do to get these ppl to upgrade the chip so that the downshift is smoother? oh, and that torque converter problem at 45-50 .. remember the grumbling? is still there.. is this something we'll have to live with for the duration of our live with our babies?
  • the website i have had up was www.sleepy.net/300m

should still work
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    I thought the fix was an update of the software, not a new "chip" for it. I didn't have it done, but someone in here posted that it took care of the "bump shifting" that many of us experience.

Hey, today is my last day at work. I guess I'll finally have time to take Big Red in to get her moving seat and discolored pillars fixed.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    Just got an e-mail from Wyckoff Chrysler parts on line and they are having a big sale on Borla exhaust products. They had a dual system for those who are interested at a substantial reduction off list price. For those considering the move.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    Not sure if that's cool. It's a members only product.
  • arby-congratulations, sir. You are the first poster to take delivery of a very zoot ride. You may provide us with a new appreciation of the term "peer envy". LOL! Enjoy and send pics, please.

Purple oil-I had a '71 Datsun 240-Z when I lived in Honolulu. Arco had a test marketing campaign for a motor oil with carbon suspended in it. The concept was that the carbon would embed itself in the microscopic pits and cracks in cylinder walls and cut friction in the entire engine. It seemed to work fine, but after returning to regular motor oil, the residual carbon always made the oil look very dirty. I miss that car, my original Silver Bullet.

Silver Bullet
  • I want to wish everyone on the 300M board, including our host, Pat a wonderful Christmas and/or Hannikah. My family is leaving for New England for a short ski trip at Killington and Christmas with family in Warwick, RI. I haven't been to visit my wife's family for a number of years and am looking forward to it.

The snow has just started in Vermont-I almost cancelled, but the weather gods relented.

I will have a lot of posts to catch up on when I return the 27th. Hope everyone has safe travel.

Peace on Earth,

Silver
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    We were just approaching the body shop at about 4:10 this afternoon and guess what was parked perfectly outside the garage all spiffed up? Our 300M! It was shining perfectly, the tires had been treated, and the inside was completely and entirely detailed. Matter of fact, that's one thing I didn't like, I'm pretty sure that they used Amorall on just about everything, including the leather which feels weird and greasy. Oh well.

So, what about the work? It is IMPECCABLE! To look at and even examine the car, you can't tell it from a new car. There's no visible work lines and the Deep Slate paint is matched perfectly. It's all just as it was before except that it now has the 2001-02 chrome-tipped muffler! Actually, they put a completely new exhaust system from the engine back.

What does it drive like? Exactly as it did before, actually. Except it feels like they put too much air in the tires and the ride feels stiff. Not to mention, I couldn't believe how noisy this car was after living w/o it for 2 months and having the Buick. All that Goodyear roar is still horrible and the car feels kind of skittish because of the high air pressure. Squeaks, rattles, and the like? No!! Other than the gauge cluster like before even though it's worse now and on each side of the dash it sounds like there's some kind of foam rubbing up against plastic. Matter of fact, what do you think mother said about the noises? "I can't stand those stupid rattles! They're gonna drive me to drink!" To me, it's just like it was before, including being too loud.

So, are we keeping it? Who the heck knows. One minute she refuses to drive it and wants an SUV. Then she wanted a LeSabre and probably still does. Then, once about 3 miles from the garage, she said this,"If I keep it, I'm buying new tires." Well, that didn't last very long. "This car rides like a buckboard. I hate the brakes, they suck compared to the Buick. These seats are uncomfortable, my neck hurts. I hate these rattles!"-these all followed. Also, she said "I miss the Buick" about 10 times!

We got a full 6-page parts and labor receipt with a grand total of $11,564.25 Wow, that's a lot!

Well, have to go! I'll give more details later!

P.S., I still really like the car but miss the smooth and quiet of the Buick and the room!
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    Hahahaha that's something new!
  • http://www.300mclub.org click on chat link, wait for applet to load, choose a name and join the fun---
  • rogor2krogor2k Posts: 385
    You are selling items (300M Enthusiasts Club logo shirts) that are covered under copyright agreements we have with DaimlerChrysler and are authorized for sale to 300M Enthusiasts Club members only. I would ask you to please remove these items from EBay before you jeopardize our agreements with DaimlerChrysler.
  • I may possibly be the first owner of a 300M Special in the State of New Jersey. I paid for it tonight and it's sitting in the driveway outside.
  • I can't stop from keeping myself from running out to stare at her!!! :^)
  • congrats...now how bout staring at her through the lens of a camera, we want pics lots and lots of pics :)
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    please go quickly drive it easily for 500 miles.

Then stomp on it and tell us if it is much quicker than the non-Special 300M.
  • sel714sel714 Posts: 35
    I am the proud owner of a Champagne pearl metallic 99 300. Its 3 years old this month. Purchased her new now have 66600 mi. I was looking at my original window sticker and noticed the city hwy mileage of 18 city 27 hwy. I remember when at the dealer I have noticed the 2001 and 2002 model 300 have 18 city and 26 hwy. I was wondering if the lower gear ratio on the special makes your gas mileage lower.
    I am not sure why their's one mpg difference higher on my 99. I don't think they changed the gearing any? I regularly get 23 to 24 mpg on mixed city hwy driving. And have gotten as high as 31.6 on interstate driving at 65 mpg.
    Would be very interested in what kind of mileage you get after the break in period.
    sel 714
  • achanceachance Posts: 106
    Any of you cold and icy country 300M owners have any experience with these tires? I'm getting tired of slipping and sliding on my badyears, and Tire Rack seems to offer the best deal on these.
  • So how the heck was the drive home? (You DID drive it home right? You DIDN'T have it trailered, right? LOL!)

I checked with my dealer yesterday, all he knew was that it had been shipped, but didn't know where it was or when it might arrive.

And as luck would have it the weather people are predicting the possibility of a significant snow here this weekend. Of course our weather people are so bored this winter that even the POSSIBILITY of a snowstorm gets them all excited. It could miss us completely, I can only hope.

I KNEW it, it's been dry all winter so far and just when the car gets here it snows. Now I'll have to buy snow tires before I dare drive it on the roads. The Pilots don't cut it on snow and ice, even warns about in the brochure so it must be significant. Just as well though, I don't want to subject the wheels to road crud anyway.
  • I'm taking pics of the Special on Saturday. The pics will be up by monday morning (ya gotta love digital cameras). You all don't want to see her at night anyway. My wife and I took her for a 20 mile ride last night. First impressions? The suspension is really firm and the steering is really tight. The car goes pretty fast too. The radio/cass/CD sounds great. The road noise is noticable on older roads but since the tires are so wide you would expect that. It's too soon to quess at mileage. I know I took her for a "spin" prior to buying her. The salesman looked at the Avg. mpg of my spin and it said 9.9. Hey, I wanted to check her out good. :^)

One more thing about the tires. They are definately NOT snow tires. On the back of the Owners Manual a note is glued that Chrysler recommends you not drive on them in the snow. Rain is fine. Not Snow...

First downside... One of the key remotes didn't work and the wife has to go back this morning to see why. Let "all" my problems be so petty.

Otto, you and your "crew" did good. Real good. Thanks buddy!
  • sel714sel714 Posts: 35
    Arby does you window sticker have 18 city 26 hwy
    or lower mileage numbers?
    Thanks sel714
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    Please do not post photos of your new Special, lest an outbreak of "New Car Fever" occurs for the rest of us poor folks driving older 300Ms. I mentioned the new Special to the wife, and she said I had too much $ tied-up in my 99 to start over. Guess I must wait for the Hemi C,Crossfire, or Caddy XLR, [formerly the IMAJ or EVOQ].

Also saw an article on the Detroit News website that said they are on the final run [50 more] for the Prowlers. The last few will be Candy Apple Red. Can't believe in 5 years they only made 11K units [14 a day]. Except at the Woodward Dream Cruise I have seen a total of one in the five years that they have been making them [at the dealer's and with a $2K mark-up on the sticker], and never ever saw one on the road. Strange marketing stategy, but hey, it is DC, which has done nothing to push the new 300M Special. When I was at the dealer a few weeks ago, the salesmen didn't even know there was a Special coming out.
  • lflowerslflowers Posts: 155
    Do you LIKE that Caddy EVOQ thing? To me, that's the uglist car I've ever seen (with the exception of the Pontiac Aztec).

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (or just Happy Holidays) to everyone.
    I don't post a whole lot (I don't like to talk unless I have something to say), but I'm always lurking and learning lots of stuff that pertains to my 300M. I've had my M for about 14 months now and have put about 30K miles on it. I still love the car and, at this point, I intend to keep it for a long time (especially if the 300N looks anything like the show car pictures I've seen posted!)
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • I have used Michelin Arctic Alpin ('99 300M) and Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice ('01 300M) winter tires, both with complete satisfaction.
    These are rated as "performance" tires, which are best for a good handling car like the 300M.
    Some Blizzaks have a reputation for being "squirmy" on the 300M, leading to sloppy steering response, and sometimes unpleasant ride motion.
    I suggest discussing this issue with the knowledgeable folks at Tire Rack before purchase.
  • drpixeldrpixel Posts: 256
    an ex-Unionite, huh?.....I think you said you're in South Jersey now, right?...
    To all my friends-'old' AND new, associates, 300m nuts, officers of the club and everyone:
    From my family--me, Linda, Christine, Lisa and Angel the wonder cat-- I'd like to wish you all a very happy holiday season. Given the events of September, I consider myself lucky to be alive. The effects of that day will haunt me for the rest of my life, but I am truly greatful for all that I DO have.
    Reading this forum is sometimes like watching a soap opera....beach15's car crash, sdmike2 being 'outsourced'--Roger too... In a bizarre sort of way, we are like a family, far flung across this great land of ours. Though we may be separated by distance, we are ALL truly connected in our love for our 300m's and in our camraderie as club members in "this thing of ours" (one small step for man..one giant leap for 300m owners...".
    sleepy: your package is in the mail-along with a bunch of others...Roger: the 'special delivery' membership packages going to alternate addresses went out on the 18th, and should arrive in time for gifting. Thanks also for the way kewl pen and tasteful cedar box with emblem..it will reside in a place of honor in my cubicle!
    I will be off beginning tomorrow through to the New Year. May your holidays--whatever you celebrate--be filled with peace, love and hope for the Holiday and the New Year....
    drpixel/Glenn and the gang...
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,720
    I am a long time resident of this forum, but find myself reading more an posting less. My '99 Platinum Beauty continues to serve me well, 31,000+ miles. Two window motors, one tranny speed sensor are the only issues to date.

FWIW, I live in the Boston area and have used the OEM Goodyears year round and have had no problems in snow (The TC did allow me to get out of my semi-steep driveway one snowy morning when my wife's Saab couldn't). I'm not the skiier I used to be, so I can't give incredible stories of trips to Maine and Vermont through x feet of snow...(although I do have such stories from my long ago youth!).

Happy Holidays to all! Be safe, be kind and be generous. Enjoy your friends, families and Ms!

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300