Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    More than the speed limiter, Otto, will they have the additinal 2 hp programming in them? I thought you were back to work this week.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Nope still off. We should be back on Monday Sept 30 But there have been rumours of another week also. WHO KNOWS.
    2 extra HP , I was told that this was from the exhaust. As far as I know the engine controller's are the same. but I will try find out for sure.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ceikost --

I am SO sorry.
  • rrmanrrman Member Posts: 21
    My 94 New Yorker is still going strong. After a new AC compressor was installed the cooling fans made a racket the next day. It was the shroud "disintegrating". They showed me and it was very brittle. The AC guys said it wasn't their fault and only charged "parts" to replace it. I would have thought engine compartment plastic would be tougher than that. But maybe TX and AL are too far south for a Canadian Car :)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    ottowrkr-

300michael took the words right out of my mouth. That's exactly what I was going to say until I got to ceikost's post. It just didn't seem appropriate to comment right away.

You certainly deserve 10 STARS!!! You gave me more help here and in e-mail than ANY "5-STAR" I ever went to! Thanks again for all the help during that 'trying" period.

I found a goodie for your computer that I think you'll like. Will send it as soon as I find your address. I did a lot of cleaning around here this summer. I know I have it. I just have to find it! ;-))

fastdriver
    seems to be getting more attention. Big Brother is alive and well..........

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0209/23/a02-594475.htm

fastdriver

Thanks BOB , I try .
    That article was very interesting . Like the article said that most cars today have on-board computers that store a lot of info in them now that can be checked after an accident. Just not by third parties
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Open wide :O stuff, stuff..... There I put your words back :) I think we all feel the same way about otto, and wire, for all there help. We each have our areas of expertize.
    Not the best but I couldn't resist the price ($210). It is an Olyimpus C3020 3.2mp with 3X optical and 4.5X digital. That way I can continue to use my SM memory cards. I ran into a white 2000 M (figuretively speaking of course) and gave him a card. Also noticed that my M was even lower (settleing) it is now 3" lower in the back and 2" in the front.
    300michael-

"Open wide :O stuff, stuff..... There I put your words back :)"

LOL... I know a lot of people here would like to do that to me everytime I post, including the hosts!! LOL.........

fastdriver
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I have not been to the car-truck.com website for a while. So I went today to look at the LX buzz and also saw the new Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Sebring coupes. Boy did they turn very attractive current designs into very hideous looking creatures! These designers are like dogs - when they have nothing else to do they start licking their balls. Or DO they have nothing else to do?
  • 2010220102 Member Posts: 2
    Ruski -- now don't be rude the ones sticken with the I like all Chrysler virus will begin to dislike you.

According to EDMUNDS

NUMBER ONE---VW

NUMBER TWO LEXUS

An also ran and unrefined--something good enough for a commoner ---the 300M. After much though I am beginning to agree somewhat--although I think the 300M might not be quite good enough for any commoner.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/74497/article.html

• blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    That Crossfire chop top (convertible) sure looks a lot like the HemiC (from the front anyway). And they are calling the 3.5 in the 03 Intrepid SXT a "Magnum." This is still the same engine that's in the M correct? I noticed they are also going to call the new 5.7 Hemi a Magnum too.
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    Carl,

Speaking for everyone in the 300M Enthusiasts Club, please accept our sincerest condolences in this time of overwhelming loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Godspeed my Friend.

Roger Waters, President
    300M Enthusiasts Club
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I agree! The Sebring and Stratus coupes were beautiful, but the morons went ahead and thoroughly screwed each design, all because sales weren't good. Yeah, well they'll really be bad now!

These new LX's are already worrying me...
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    At first I thought both new designs were heinous but the Stratus Coupe has grown on me I guess. I just don't like the "scalloped" tail lights. Nor do I like the new headlights on the `03 Sebring Coupe. Overall, I don't think either car is too bad looking, its just that the original `01-`02 models look better. At least the interior is improved.
    For the most part I agree with the review. The 300 Special M should not have been in this lineup. The car is much larger, and the Special is not geared toward the (what were they thinking) Lux market. Although if you put $10,000 worth of goodies the 300M would be a lot better. Say a supercharger with Prowler Pro gears, Navigation, suspension control. It would be right at the top.
    Especially the nerer ones, I just hope they drop the super 8 designs. I sure wish Lutz would come back.
    ruski-

I've been trying to figure out what the Dodge Super 8 Hemi Concept Car looks like. It reminds me of one of those Chinese Sharpei Dogs with all the wrinkles and the frown!!! It looks like all those DC CA designers are on LSD! UGLY! I'd take Christine anyday over some of these new 'designs" for lack of a better word!

fastdriver
  • lewboylewboy Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking about purchasing a 300M in the future.What should I be cautious about? I worry about the transmission reliability.Anything else or is this a minor problem?
  • rrmanrrman Member Posts: 21
    I see LOTs of Dodge Intrepid's around, and notice more 300Ms than Concordes. At the Davis Monthan AFB Lodging parking lot last month, there were 3 300Ms. The Chrysler dealers always have a 300M on the lot, but not always a Concorde. I favored the Concorde as it was cheaper and I didn't care for the $$$ and "chopped" off 300M trunk. But I'm curious as to how my tastes compare 'popularity ' wise.
    Just a percentage estimate will do - they all come from the same plant. I'm sure the Intrepid is the winner, but how do the Chrysler's compare?
    Thanks!
    It depends on the year you are considering. 99 tended to have window motor problems (but that should be corrected by this time). My bet would be to get a 2000 or newer (Although I love my 99) since most newer version give the companies time to get the bugs out. Other factors are Paint, non metalic colors are easyer to fix.
    You did mention the tranny problems, these tend to be $20 sensors, not the major problems the late 80's had (besides the right fluid should prevent this) so it is a non issue.
    No, not because of any infractions, but because my (rundll32) program is no longer working on my computer and in it's dying breath decided it would no longer accept any cookies any more. So if you do not see me (300M) any more (at least until I get a new computer, that is why.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Just read the review. What a hatchet job! The Special is not the most luxurious or quietest version of the car to pick for the test. The Special's dual exhaust was meant to make a little growl, and the wood trim group is (unfortunately) not available on the Special. The Special was criticized for lack of features, ignoring the many dealer-installed Mopar options available if desired (e.g. navigation system). The performance test, 20% of the total score, seemed to dwell on the Special's midpack acceleration while downplaying its markedly superior slalom handling and braking results. Any luxury sedan should offer generous elbow-room and cargo space. The 300 is huge compared to these other cars. The "winner", the Passat W8, is tiny next to the 300. One will never get a couple of staff-size golf bags into that 10 cu ft trunk for 18 holes at the club!!!! I can only surmise that they got a bad Special to criticize the build quality. My '01 300M is still rock solid at 18 months with zero rattles and zero repairs. Finally, folks still admire the classic styling of the 300M going into its 5th model year. The other sedans in this test range from boring to downright-ugly.
  • videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Who the heck picked the 300M Special to be in the test? Was it the editors of Edmunds or was it Chrysler? If it was Edmunds, I'm very dissapointed with them. Why bring in an automobile of a different class and then rip on it because it doesn't meet the comparison criteria? If it was Chrysler, then shame on them. They should have given them a Concorde or regular 300M.

As for the review, what made me the most mad was a quote from the "Second Opinions" section from Brent Romans. It was:

"I don't think many people on our staff expected the American team — the Chrysler 300M — to do very well. Unlike many a European-branded car, this isn't a sedan that sparkles, gemlike, in a driveway. When seen on the road, I half expect the driver to be some sort of middle manager who picked the car purely on what was available from the motor pool."

WHAT!!!! Is he kidding? The 300M has to be one of the best looking full sized sedans around American or European. When I purchased mine, I was originally looking at a Concorde, but the beauty of the 300M drew me in which is why I bought it. And as far as it not sparkling, this jackass obviously hasn't seen mine after a full wash and rinse.

Uhg.

Upset and venting - vman.
    rrman - yes the Dodge is by far the biggest seller, then comes the Concorde and last but not least the ever popular ( and best looking ) 300M . Yes all the cars listed are built in the Brampton, Ontario, CANADA plant.

jona57- you got that right

videoman1-usally the media doing the test , asks the car compamies for the cars .
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I agree with everyone on this 'review'. I have had my 2001 M for over 18 months. No problems, issues, rattles, etc. As far as looks, my previous cars were Maximas and Infiniti, none of those EVER received the continuous looks and compliments that my M gets!!! As for the Volkswagon, YUCK!!!!! I think they are the uglyist cars on the market, and who in their right mind would pay 40k for one!! On top of it, what a lame @ss output for a V8!! Our moded M's could kick it's @ss with a mere V6! At least they should of used an Audi. But again both of those are much smaller than an M, so how can you compare? True, maybe the interiors are a little subpar on the M, but hey it's bigger and 10k cheaper as well.
    Back in 99 (when I bought mine) the 300M was to me one of the best sedans for the money. It had room, looks, and overall size that I wanted. The only competition it has was the from the GM class Auroura, Bonniville, ect. In a way nothing has changed the I30/35, TL's, BMW's are still too small especially when considering the cost to move up to say 7 series or the RL's Now the market is a little more crouded, but the overall situation hasn't changed the 300M is still pretty much in a nitch by itself. the foregen makeers are still too small or too costly for what you get. With Lutz in GM things will change over there, and only time will tell.
    That 20102 poster is probably bored. Reality is that their board is as boring as the car and the owners that drive them. The only interesting car that Volkswagon ever put out was the Corrado with the V6. Since then, yuck!

300michael.....I'm with you on the value/size thing. That is the main reason you don't see the 300M in a lot of comparisons. But when you do, everyone one wants to compare it to the BMW 330, the TL, ES300, but they are ALL in a smaller class! I like bimmer's too, but I can't fit me, my wife, and three kids in it!!! The M is in a class by itself since the Aurora is fading away fast. I think the Acura RL is still smaller than the M. That, and the sticker is over 42k and up. Wake up people, you're comparing apples to oranges.........
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    I see a number of you are bragging that your cars have no rattles. My '99 300M with just under 62k miles on it has a rattle. Actually it's more like a buzz. It drove me nuts because it took me a long time to find it. My passengers thought it was on the drivers side, and I thought it was on the passenger side. It turned out to be the little plastic extender piece in the passenger visor. One of those adhesive felt pieces took care of it.

It's a matter of taste, of course, but I disagree with some of the folks saying the VW is ugly. I don't think they're ugly. They're just nondescript. I don't look at them and think, "ugh." That's reserved for some of the GM sport utility whatevers. Pontiac Aztek, Chevy Avalanche, that kind of thing. OTOH, it's been at least two weeks since somebody told me what a pretty car the 300M is.

Igor
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    To all who responded on the dual set-up, many thanks. I had a back spasm on Sunday while getting set to tee off and have been out of work since then. Am at work today in some pain, but had to get out--staying home was killing me. I did get down under the car on Saturday and it looks like the ROSS system box will not have to be moved. Just enough room for the 37" span before the cut will be made. My Ziebart guy will go the cut tomorrow before the car goes into the shop for rear end repairs. I meant to ask if the mufflers and collectors should be stainless? I told the guy I wanted the tips to be stainless but neglected to discuss whether the muffs should be. I'm at 51K miles and the stuff that is on there now looks solid, don't know if it was stainless but it was mighty good stuff. I may have him save me the parts that are not reused. Stainless or not, what are your thoughts? SDMike did you add that extra collector or not? Roger's note seems to say that you did.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Another one, 20102, that just can't comprehend that the M is the best full size performance lux vehicle on the road today. Do you understand the concept of VALUE? Do you believe that since 2000, Consumer Reports et al have rated the M extremely high? Would you like to compare the cost of repairs between the M and any German made product? Do you really think that $30K is cheap? C'mon 20102, at least get your facts straight. Cars are a lot like lawyers and statistics; they can make a case for anything no matter how insane! I've owned 2 VW products and the M blows them both away in VALUE! If you want speed, buy a Z06 and leave the M alone; that's not what the M was built for and you know it!
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Glenn,

Don't waste your breath on a troll.

People who don't grasp the concept of why there are so many different brands and types of vehicles and peoples preferences for one over the other isn't worth wasting the effort on.

Are you satisfied with your choice? I'm satisfied with mine. In the end that's all that counts.

As the saying goes: "Opinions are like [non-permissible content removed]..les. Everybody has one, and some stink more than others." I'll defend their right to express them, and exercise my right to ignore 'um. :)
    kosh......I think everyone is entitled to their opinion too, but you don't see us going to the VW board to trash their vehicles. At the same time, I wouldn't because I've never owned one. This 'troll' as you put it has NO real say in how good a 300M is, he doesn't own one!!!! As far as reviews go, they're only a few individuals opinons as well. I'm sure a lot of them base their opinons on comparison to what they drive day in, day out.

As far as value, Glenbp is right. I don't think the troll understands the word. Wouldn't surprise me if he is another BEACH wanna be.
  • dustyrdsdustyrds Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know why my earlier post today was deleted? I thought it was in good taste, no expletives, the only thing I attacked, and rightfully so, was 20102. (Does 20102 work for Edmunds?) Anyway, I think those who like to bash the 300 are really jealous. It would seem that their rides just do not inspire the passion that the 300 does. Its quite clear based on the number of posts from both satisfied owners and admirers that the 300 is an outstanding car. Put that in your Passat and smoke it. Nuff said.
    You're right. Where is your post?? I responded to it earlier. Am I next??
    I thought yours was okay. However, I don't think people who bash 300M's are really jealous, but I do think they would change their minds if they had one. I mean, out of ALL the cars I've ever owned, my M is the first car I REALLY enjoy driving. It's not the fastest car, my Stealth turbo was much faster, but it's just fun and comfortable to drive every day.
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    If you reinstall your operating system, it should also reinstall the bad and/or missing files. Sometimes that's the only option you have, short of fdisk and format.

If you have the OS on a CD, it might give you a fix/repair option.

Couldn't hoyt!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I got my '99 300M when I was 28 and held a highly paid job at a swiss bank.

I zeroed in on 300M the first time I saw it as a concept at the NY Auto Show. It was the best looking car at the show and I just had to get it into my driveway. With PHP of course.

I still have the window sticker that reads "Built for Andrey Fyodorov".

Nothing "middle" about that.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Otto: I thought the Special had some type of computer recalibration, which is why Premium unleaded is recommended. ??????
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    My '99 Platinum, non-php M turned 40,000 miles today. All continues to be well. I only have one interior buzz, it comes from the sunroof sunshade when the roof/shade are open. And it's not constant. No biggie.

I was at the gas station last week, ran into a neighbor who was driving a new Passat (which, imho, are very nice cars). She said her Camry had 200,000 miles, was running fine but she decided she wanted a new car. Her previous Camry gave her 190,000 trouble-free miles, she stated (fastdriver: There's that "perceived" reliabilty again!). She decided it was time for a change. Two Camry's, nearly 400,000 self-described trouble free miles and she buys a VW. Toyota marketers must be pulling their hair out....

Anywho, I mentioned that my car was about to turn 40,000 so I'm ready for a new one. She replied, "But why? Yours looks new and it is soooo pretty!" Why, thank you. It is, isn't it? Barring any unforseen circumstances, I'll have the M for at least another 20-30k miles.

The latter models must have been seriously de-contented as I consider my '99 plenty luxurious: memory system for seats/mirrors/radio, power everything, driver seat ingress/egress assist, leather surfaces (ok, the leather in the evil wife's Lexus is much nicer, but that car also listed for $9k more than my M! And her memory system is only for the seats! And no ingress/egress assist! And the wood trim in the Lexus is so highly polished that it looks only a little more real than the plood in the M.),cool stereo, auto-dim mirror, split folding rear seat....you get my drift. I agree, in '99 when I was shopping, the M was the best combination of style, performance, room and value. My biggest gripe (sorry, ottoworker): exterior build quality. Uneven, wide panel gaps, but no leaks or anything. And not enough to prevent me from plunkin' down my hard earned $$$.

So, 39 months, 40,000 miles:
    Two window motors
    One tranny speed sensor
    Replaced windshield (no fault of Chrysler)
    That's it and hopefully for the next couple of years, that's it!?

Fastdriver: IBM is giving a Linux seminar at Foxwoods in a couple of weeks. My boss won't let me go! I can't imagine why...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ceikostceikost Member Posts: 30
    for your condolences, thoughts and prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

Hope to be in the chat room tonight.
    ceikost, take care -- as you have seen, the Town Hall community cares deeply about what you are having to face. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we are sincerely hopeful this is some small comfort to you.
    Um, folks, mebbe a few of you need to re-read the Membership Agreement. There is a link to it on the left side of this page.

That agreement, which governs all of our posts, is very clear in requiring civil and respectful discourse. Nowhere in that agreement will you find any hint of "If you believe you are dealing with a troll, feel free to attack at will."

Ya know??

I've had to remove a bunch of messages.

Please leave suspected trolls to your host(s). Always feel free to email a board host (all of our profiles are linked at the top of each board we host), but please understand that you are no more entitled to violate the Membership Agreement than a suspected troll is.

I hope this makes sense.

Please feel free to drop me an email if you have any questions. Obviously, this is way off-topic here and should be taken off line.

Thanks!!
    I thought I saw that "If you believe you are dealing with a troll, feel free to attack at will". Isn't it on Page 1, subsection 4, paragraph 2, third sentance???????????? Just kidding (couldn't resist). :) I do understand your prosition.
    I remeasured the car and it is 2" lower in the front and (big surprize here) 3" lower in the back. I didn't believe it so I parked next to another 99 M and measured then it is true. On the trip the cars lux. ride is gone but the handling is really improved (as long as there are no speed bumps or dips in the road.
    actually, I think that clause was probably part of the outtakes, but perhaps you saw it before the final agreement was edited and published.

:-D
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Just got new Yokohama YK420 tires installed today on my 2000 PHG M. I think everyone else who has posted about buying these tires has a non-PHG M (at least, I once asked if anyone with a PHG M had installed them, and no one responded). I've only driven them about 25 miles in town, so I haven't reached any final conclusions, but here are my first impressions, comparing these tires to the Michelin Pilot MXM H4's that came on the car:

1. The Yokos are definitely quieter on concrete roads, with much less "slap" over expansion joints.

2. While driving on a straight road at about 60 and doing slight side to side turns or zigzags of the steering wheel, it feels as if there is a slight delay in the turn, and that there is a slight lateral shift of the rear end of the car. I'm not sure I'm explaining this right, but there's a bit of a "floaty" feel to the car now. Before the car just went in the direction I turned, as if on rails, and some of that seems to be lost now. Perhaps the Yokos have softer sidewalls than the Michelins and there is some sideways movement going on now that the Michelins didn't allow.

3. Might just be my imagination, or might be related to #2, but the Yokos seem to be a bit softer over bumps.

I ran the Michelins at 34 psi, and Discount Tire says they put 35 psi in the Yokos. I'll post again after I've driven these tires more miles and on some twisty roads. Right now, though, I have to say that the Yokos may be a step up from the Goodyears that came on non-PHG M's, but handling performance seems to have dropped compared to the Michelins. On the other hand, these were $120 each compared to $220 each for the Pilot Sport A/S. For those who really groove on how the PHG M takes curves, the Michelins may be worth the extra bucks.
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    let us know how the Yokos do on wet pavement.

I found a HUGE wet weather improvement when I switched from the Goodyears to Michelins.