Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• tonight`s chat nite,in the club chatroom.hope to see everyone there! 10:00pm EST
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    7pm PST, 10pm EST.
  • GMTA! hahaha
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Well, thanks for the replys as to how good of a deal there is to be had on a leftover 01' M. Not that it was for any particular purpose, just curiousity I guess. Well, the car has to go back in the shop again (I know, suprise, suprise).

Nothing new, just to have the seat parts that are broken replaced and the plastic cover around the steering column replaced. I found the last piece to be "unhooked" on the left side and it wouldn't snap back together. The 5* looked at it and ordered the parts, no questions. About the only other thing is the stupid wipers. Ever since we got the car back from being "rebuilt", the wipers haven't worked right. You'd turn them on the first notch, they'd shift up about an inch but would go no further despite the fact that you can hear the motors buzzing. We assumed this might be due to the fact that the blades were "glued" to the windshield for 2 months while they worked on the car but they still don't work all the time despite cleaning.

So, after taking the car in on New Year's Eve, my mother finally called today to check if the parts were in. Well, suprise, what a shocker, she got this response: "Oh! The parts are in but we must have forgotten to call you!" Like I said, shocking! While on the phone she also told them about the wipers and that even though they worked fine when the car was there last time, she wants them fixed. So, I guess they ordered "motors or something" according to her.

You know, I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but for a $32 grand car, why do we have all these problems? Huh, any answer? Oh well, I guess we just have to live with it from buying American. I must say though, we didn't have nearly as much trouble with our stripper base 97' Grand Voyager that stickered for only $20 grand. Actually, all that we had were a rattle in each of the side sliding doors. Kind of weird isn't it, that both Chryslers we've had were rattly. No, actually, it took a few visits but the dealer back in Pennsylvania was determined to find a fix, and they did. Other than that, the only thing it ever went in for was just a few miles before the warranty ran out when the check engine light came on. The culprit? It was just that the gas cap wasn't screwed on fully.

Pretty decent for something so cheap and spartan. The 300M that cost about $12 grand more, has had constant warranty work since January of last year. I'd like to find the service receipts and see how much all the parts have cost.

Well, tonight to be curious, 300mlover and anyone else, what can actually qualify you for having a chance at being successful with Chrysler Arbitration? Is it just like the lemon law, the same problem unfixed 3 or 4 times?

On another note, I said I'd post some new pics but still haven't got a chance. Maybe sometime in the next year!
    I see you beat me on Yahoo too! lol
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    Are you saying that your test drive special did not have dual exhaust?
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    The first is a 1956 300B, and the second is a 300 Hemi C convertable. I love both. The only drawback is that they are both 1/16 scale. I posted a few pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/my300m_ page 2 under Catalogs.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Posts: 365
    I strongly object to your description of old grey hair gentlemen driving M's. I use Grecian Formula, so there!!! LOL. I am going on an advance party to Vegas this weekend, to check out the sites for an M meet, my main focus will be to check out the inner workings of the slot machines, and I will post my results on my return to help others who have problems with these slots. I am renting a car from Dollar and I think I am getting an M or a Lada as I failed to read my confirmation closely.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    Where did you get the die casts? And, is the 300 Hemi C a remote control car? I still haven't seen a 300M in die cast anywhere. Prices on the cars?
  • My wife's 93 Grand Voyager is about ready for that final trip to the recycling center, with 125k hard miles. As a compromise, the ladies in the family decided they would share a used SUV until Daughter goes to college in two years. She would take it and my wife would get a new Minivan. The only affordable SUV I find appealing from a ride and technology viewpoint is the Nissan Pathfinder with the new 3.5 V6. (although the 5-speed auto and SOHV V6 in the Explorer drove OK).

Any opinions from you unbiased and totally vendor-neutral experts? Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Silver
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    I took mikeyjohn's post #12339 above (I hope he has a sense of humor!)and applied this program:

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectt.cgi

"I strongly object t'yo' descripshun uh old grey fro gentlemen drivin' M's. ah' use Grecian Fo'mula, so's dere! Preach it loud, bruddah!! Right on! LOL. ah' am goin' on an advance party t'Vegas dis weekend, t'check out da damn sites fo' an M meet, mah' main focus gots'ta be t'check out da damn inna' wo'kin's uh de slot machines, and ah' gots'ta post mah' results on mah' return t'help oders who gots problems wid dese slots. ah' am rentin' some car fum Dollar and ah' dink ah' am digtin' an M o' some Lada as ah' failed t'read mah' confirmashun closely."

The program converts a web site or text to one of several dialects (this one is jive).

Try it on the Daimler Chrysler web site!

Where are you staying in Vegas? Doing anything other than feeding your money to the bandits? I've spent WAY too much time there both on a business and social standpoint. :)
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Posts: 338
    Heh heh,

Interesting how 3 different people see the taupe interior of a std M 3 different ways. We all saw a somewhat different color. I wonder if the cars paint color has something to do with it?
    You looking for a midsize or full sized SUV? I drove the Nissan Xterra as a rental and I really liked it. Bright red too! lol I also really liked the Honda Passport, but both of these are considered midsized (no third row of seats). I'm sure if your daughter had a vote she'd get the Xterra. It looks cool too. :) Oh, and my brother has a 95 pathfinder that he beats the hell out of. No problems to report.
  • arby500arby500 Posts: 68
    I'll be in Vegas on Business (yeah, monkey business... ) friday April 4th for 5 days. I'm staying at Belagio. It's the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) convention. 5 days of sitting in front of the Blackjack tables...LOL. I think I can handle that! :^) There are 5 of us from work that go (the owner included). We had a great time last year. I'm not looking forward to it or anything. 78 days to go. :^) Tomorrow will be 77. I'll have to mark it off.
    We need to scope out a place for the Vegas meet. I'm thinking something off the strip for an initial gathering, but then some strip cruising and some parking for photo ops. Maybe even a drive into the desert for some cool photos.

I'm thinking of maybe at the Vegas International Raceway, but I haven't looked into it.
    I'm afraid to admit after reading here about the Belagio but I'm staying at the Sahara, I got it on the internet and I've stayed there 3 times in the past, and there is one machine that I want to check up on. It has a habit of taking my money so my past law enforcement investigative skills will be put to use and I will come up with a solution or charges will be laid. I do have a sense of humour and I think that was great Russklass. I will bookmark it.The new rules about luggageat airports starts to-morrow so it should be an interesting exercise.
    One place that I think would make a great photo shoot would be Red Rock Canyon. It's a nice drive and is not packed with tourists or at least the time I was there. There are lots of parking lots around the drive area, but I will keep my eyes open and let you know. The Sahara is the home of a lot of race cars and displays for Indy etc. The hotel might like the opportunity to stage or possibly sponsor a meet. I guess I could make some inquiries. What do you think?
  • svevarsvevar Posts: 160
    Not too long ago, several rattles developed in my 2000 300M. Problem areas are the driver's door (a hollow rumble) and upper dash (where driver's side A-pillar cover meets black plastic up by the windshield). Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?
    Boy, have you come to the right place. As anyone here will tell you, we have one of the most rattly 300M's ever made! Ask either me or my mother the owner, and you'll have a story that goes on and on!

Lately now, even after being creamed from behind pretty hard in an accident, the main rattle we've had for over a year is right behind the gauge cluster. This is extremely annoying and to date, I think the car has been in for this at least 7 or 8 times (along with many other problems). This one is ALL the time, regardless if the road is smooth as glass or a buckboard. From what I've seen, I don't think the dealer has ever gotten close to fixing it, they just say "Oh, we tightened a few screws", in other words they forgot about it and touched nothing.

As for other rattles, where do I begin? I think when the same rattle appeared, there was also a banging noise in the dash that sounded right down inside the center when you'd drive over a really nasty street or something. Then, the back door panels were loose at the rear edges and would vibrate and rattle over bumps. Then, there was a slight rattle in the headliner near the sunroof that came and went pretty quick. Also, if you drive down certain gravel driveways, the front door panels also vibrate, creak, and rattle pretty badly. In addition, once or twice before, when driving on a few roads where the pavement was ground off, and there was some loud buzzing that reverberated badly across the roof and the back window creaked. Oh yeah, and when we first got the car back from being rebuilt, there was a slight buzzy noise on each side of the dash near where you mentioned, where the a-pillar and black dash piece meet.

Okay, wow, I think I might be done. But then again, we also get some other weird noises that come and go from day to day. Just to note, none of these have ever been fixed, with the exception of the back door panels that the dealer did a TSB# I gave them that told how to tighten the panels up. Also, one thing that I've noticed is that the plastic used for the 300M's interior is naturally creaky. If you notice, they tried to make it not look hard and cheap by using softer materials, but the problem is, the softer stuff flexes more, thus making more creaks and rattling.

See what I told you, ask about rattles in a 300M and we can write you a novel!
  • binubinu Posts: 81
    After a few months of ownership, I used to hear a slight, irritating dashboard rattle on my 98 Concorde Lxi, whenever I was driving on rough roads. I also noticed that,at certain times, the rattle disappeared completely. Then I realised that, the rattle used to disappear when the ashtray was 'open'. The ashtray itself was very tight and not rattling. But something caused a rattle when the ashtray was closed. I have since removed the ashtray.
    Oh, if it only was that simple!
    This has been talked about in some form before, but what digicams do you guys use and/or recommend. I know sdmike, you have the Fuji 1300 and it takes some very nice pictures from what I've seen. The reason I ask is, I ordered and then got a new Kodak DX3215 for Christmas and loved it. The pictures were great and I got a very good deal, $179.95 plus a free 16MB card. But, after about 3 days of use, I think I set it down a little too hard and the zoom no longer worked so I sent it back. I'm now in the market for a new one.

So, sticking mainly to under-$200, what do you recommend?
    Check out camera reviews at www.megapixel.net, and camera pricing at zdnet or pricewatch. I have the fuji finepix 1400 and I love it. My dad and brother just bought the finepix 2400...the 2+ megapixel version of the 1400 (which is 1.3 megapixel). Both cameras are in the $250 range though.
    I go mountain biking out at red rocks (blue diamond) and I agree that it would make a great place for photos. Check with the Sands and see what they think. Any place that will give us cheap hotel rates and be nice to us sounds ok by me. :) Also see if there is still a Race Rock Cafe downtown. They had some incredible cars in there.
  • grunschevgrunschev Posts: 106
    I went to the Barrett-Jackson auction today. It was well worth the $20. It is presented by Chrysler and the first things you see are all Chrysler products. They have the Chronos and the Atlantic concepts as well as a silver 300M Special.

My favorite car of all was the 300G convertible. Green with a tan top, it looks like it would be at home on a showroom floor. Just beautiful. There were about a half dozen other 300's of various ages.

The economy seems to be keeping the prices down. I saw a 1984 turbo Bentley go for $18k, a 1959 Chrysler Imperial went for $13,500 and a nice Mercedes went for $17,500.

Igor
  • uxca300muxca300m Posts: 155
    As SDmike 2 figures most of us 300M drivers are over the hill I have to figure out what I will need for this trip. From my house in Ontario to Las Vegas is about 3000 miles so I will require.
    1) Travelling time 3000 miles divided by 40 miles per hour equals = 75 hours of driving and if you add in 12 hours of sleep per night plus two, three hour nappies per day I guess it would take me around six days to get there.
    2) Four right turn signal light bulbs as mine are always left on and burn out frequently.
    3) Two dozen "Depends" ( I like to change at least three times per day.)
    3) One gallon of Pepto-Bismol.
    4) Spare set of dentures.
    5) One gallon of dark brown hair dye.(Or if they have an Inferno Red dye I could try that.)
    6) Cell phone so my wife could call me daily to remind me where I'm heading too.
    7) Daily notes to remind me that I don't need to turn on the seat heaters when it's 80 degrees in
    Arizona.
    8) Put my Frank Sinarta CD's in the trunk when I get there and pop in all my Pat Boone CD's
    into the changer so you guys would know I'm up to-date with the latest tunes.
    9) Try to convince you guys in the U.S that when I'm drooling that this is actually how we
    Canadians sweat.
    You must not be a true M'er to average only 40 miles and hour.
    1. Most M'ers average around 90 (not counting stops for tickets).
    2. I am glad I am not you. (I would have to replace six bulbs (I rewired my tail lights)).
    3. Better double it (you can get veeerrry relaxed in this car).
    3. Looks too much like car polish.
    4. Don't forget the teflon spacers so you don't grind you teeth while behind slow drivers.
    5. Looks too much like motor oil.
    6. Get Caller ID for it. (no distracting calls while at the meet)
    7. Leave the warmers on it only 60's here.
    8. Pat Boone, boy you are hip! I am still with the Beach Boys and Tommy Dorcy.
    9. Just tell them it the cars, and stay close.
    I got the 300 Hemi C from E-bay cost $18 plus shipping. I did a search under 300 Hemi C. The 300B I got from a friend (Costco) for $9.
    Great site. Now I can finally learn a foreign langauge.
    Thanks.