Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Pressure Indicator Valve Caps? A D-C product? Aftermarket? Cost? How accurate?
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Not sure what your exact question is... ;) but, there is an aftermarket valve cover that has a pressure indicator in it. They sell them in different pressures (30, 32, 34) so that at the right pressure it is green. Yellow is a few pounds light, red is very low...

Check pepboys or similar for them
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Fastdriver,

--------------------------------------------------

You know, you could have had it painted yellow!

-----------------------------------------------

With a black Super Bee stripe around the [non-permissible content removed] end.

Would that make it a Super Bee M :>)

• cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    From a smart consumer standpoint, extended warranties are generally not recommended. Since the 300M isn't a chronic breakdown vehicle, that general "rule of thumb" probably applies to it. Now if they will only charge you $100 to $200 per extra year, you should probably consider it.

I just had a dealer finance guy try to get me to buy an extended warranty for my new Olds Bravada. GM was giving $1,000 if you didn't take the 5/60 Major Guard Plan and this guy wanted that $1,000 plus another $900 to replace the 5/60 GM Major Guard w/ a third party 7/100. Needless to say I ruined his day by rejecting the offer.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871415022 for Tire Pressure Indicators on EBAY. $10-13 for a set of 4 in the pressure you want.

Best place I've found dor a Chrysler Extended warranty is www.chryslerwarranty.com

If you have an instrument panel go out or a computer or a........ it would be worth it. Just insurance and how lucky you feel.
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Check here for more info and opinions on extended warranties. Plus a lot of other "M" info :lol

http://pub88.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm30.showMessage?topicID=9.topic
    Warranties are a crap shoot - bottom line. Even with a reliable car, there is always the possibility that something major ($2k+) will need repair at somepoint. If you spend $2k on a warranty and don't use it, they win (which odds are they will - they set the numbers by the statistics). However, one is not a statistic, and you could easily do it. otoh, you may not. I've had one that paid off, one that didn't.

I bought one for the M for piece of mind. Bottom line is, if you will worry about it a lot, get it. Piece of mind is a good thing and worth a lot. If you feel comfortable with a fairly reliable car(which the M is) don't bother and pay as you go...
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    300michael-

" Even the Neon is speed limited to 148mph. And they can't make a 300hp 300M?????????????"

LOL... I was just thinking of that this morning while watching a show about the new Hummers. I think they could beat the 300M! My 1963 300 convertible had 360 HP and dual exhausts!

jab02lhs-

"Would that make it a Super Bee M :>)"

OR a Super M Bee!! ;-)) And a BIG spoiler?? ;-))

fastdriver
    Those of you looking for bigger and better incentives, hang in there. Looks like they're on their way for the big 3.

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0211/02/autos-627615.htm

fastdriver

• scouterdonscouterdon Member Posts: 6
    On Saturday October 26 a jerk in a 1989 Toyota ran a red light and totaled my beautiful 1999 Garnet 300m. Estimate is past 13K with hidden damage still lurking. I am now trying to decide how to replace it. Here is what I would love to have. Brand new 300m with PHP, Garnet Pearl Coat, Slate Leather and Razorstar wheels. Since that combo is not made I am deciding between a 1999 300m w/PHP in Garnet (beige interior)(28K miles), a 1999 Garnet non-PHP with Slate Leather and Razorstars (22K miles), a NEW 2002 300m Special with Blue Sapphire and Slate Leather with the 18" 15 spoke wheels. The first two choices would be essentially 'free' as the payoff of the car would equal their price and the last would add about 10K dollars in new debt. I would love to hear opinions and just have a sounding board as I make the decision.

Don
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    that you orginally had. Even if it is say a 2000 or a 2001
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    from drpixel...Greetings to the Great North Country, ay! Have recently brought eMily to a --GASP--Dodge dealer as my local /5 start dealer did not get in touch with me about Master DC Tech rep coming in to the dealership rregarding 'The Light Show" problem.
    Knowing youse guys know a thing or two about 300m's, heres's whats BEEN done:

TWO BCM modules replaced
    ONE multipurpose lighting switch replaced
    Ground #300 (under drivers seat cleaned) these three at DC dealer

At Dodge dealer:
    MULTIPLE ground wires checked, battery terminals cleaned: price?--7 hours of my time as I waited. THey were VERY nice about looking @ eMily and were sorry I had been treated so badly by DC dealer.

Seems the light show problem has re-appeared and YEA have backed off on the max brightness setting for dimmer switch. A new effect: on doors auto locking @ 15 MPH, sometime sNOW get door chime 'ding' tone on locking..Can either of you(se) tell me what the @#$# is going on? Would appreciate response to HOME emailaccount--Otto--I know you have mine....

Best regards,
    still out of work Doc
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Buy the Special!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Do the SPECIAL
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I'd also say "Special"!, but if you can find a gently used 00'-02' in your color choice inside and out, with PHP, go for it. That might be a little hard to come by however.

The local dealer also still has his 02' Special, fully optioned in Deep Sapphire with Taupe/Slate interior. It looks very cool, but no one seems to be biting, and it just sits there. They actually emailed me, trying to see if I was interested in it, or a new silver 2003 base on the way....needless to say, I didn't respond.

Last week at church, there was a 01' Sapphire with Sandstone and silver wheels parked next to a new 02' Silver with Slate Special, side by side. There's also a lady with a 99' Slate & Agate "Gold Edition". Basically, gold emblems, gold grill wing, and the medallions on the centers of the chrome Razorstars. Not tacky at all, and looks quoite nice.
    drpixel-

Sorry to hear about your light show and those "award winning 5-STAR" dealers. This is the last thing you need right now.

Hope each day finds you closer to a new job and feeling better. Hope the S/O is recuperating from the 2nd operation also.

fastdriver
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Do what the wallet allows. If my M got totalled, I would want a Special with the lux group (except they do not make one!). I would likely get the lux group w/PHG rather than a Special, but others disagree.
    Another possible option- get one of the 99's and save your $$ towards the next generation 300 (not that far off).

Jon
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I'd say get the special. Too bad the color you want is a 99 only color. That limts your options.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    As my beautiful '99 Platinum Metallic 300M was backed over by my daughter's schoolbus two weeks ago! My damage was "only" $5100, and hopefully like your accident, no one was hurt.

I picked the M up on Saturday. It looks good. The new hood and fenders are polished and sparkling like glass! Now, I've got to take care of the rest of the car. The paint looks like a good match, except the front bumper seems to be a slightly different shade, but it is the original piece and may be a bit faded. Or it is my hyper-critical eye? Good to be rid of the Sable and back in some luxury and style. I was hoping the shop might take care of some of the minor scratches and dents on the rest of the car, but alas, no. I didn't think to ask, probably was in shock at the time...Hopefully, I can get another couple of years + of trouble and incident-free driving.

No real advice for you, Don other than if you do go used I'd look for a 2000 or newer, just for the few subtle improvements. It's your money, needs, wants and desires so whatever choice you make will be the right one. Good luck.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    what's with that guy selling his almost new special on ebay---less than 5k miles on it and he wants to sell it---says he needs an suv----now who in their right mind would want to turn in brand new special for an suv----wonder if he decided he didnt like the ride---a case of buyer's remorse? anyway, maybe you could pick up that special at a big discount to replace your totalled M.

Laurasdada: glad to hear you got your baby back---I wouldnt worry about a slight mismatch in the bumper. Mine never matched from day one---they say its how the plastic takes the paint---others have also complained about the bumper not matching----I'll be keeping my eye out for you Platinum M---I'm up and down route one quite often---there cant be many platinum M's out there.

EasyRider300M---silver Y2K 300M with all the toys...
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    over a half mile of car wrecks---200 cars involved--ouch---hope there were no M's in that wreck --but if you need some used parts, you may find some in CA http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20021103_1552.html
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I agree with whoever asked if the world stood still here the other day. Activity is way down, and I wonder if all the other forums on the Entusiasts Club site message board are causing a downtrend here? I have started cruising the Club site, but there are so many threads and so little time [at work] that it is not easy to spend it looking thru the different threads. I have some loyalty here too. Just musings... I only get access on workdays and it is astounding to only find a few posts from the weekend when I used see 80-90.
    I agree. To me this is the site that a lot learn about the club site (www.300mclub.org) anyway. The Mazda Protage site has really taken off this year. My pass BMW 3 series site (#2) very soon.
    I was thinking of adding a H3 bulb to the front turn signal so that it would have a stock bulb (changed to amber) and the H3 bulb (about 35-55w) for cornering lighting.
    Got the Trenz Billet Grille isntalled today (got hit by an idiot who backed into me, so it was basically free ;) Looks fabulous! Pics just don't do it justice. Took a bit since attaching it to the body is not self-explanitory. However, removing the front facia (which everyone complains about ;) is really not that hard. Two bolts and it comes right off (on either side).

The club forum here is threaded (as opposed to this), but you can set it up to show a large dot next to new threads. Then you'll know what's new and be able to go to just that. I like threaded myself, since you can put different things in differnt topics - also easy to look back at older posts for specific needs. The attendence there has shot way up and that's prolly the reason for the drop here. But come on by!! :-D

Scouterdon - personally (I may get hit for saying this ;) I'd recommend looking for an 01 w/php and lux group that's been 'gently' used. The 01 it seems has the most features. The first year with Lux group, steering wheel controls, clear taillight covers, chrome shifter (only year I believe), had the moveable headrests (which they got rid of in 02 I believe), tilt-in reverse rear-view mirrors, etc... I have an 01, and when I got it didn't know half of that stuff.

IMHO :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks,

I need to point out that the Membership Agreement asks that you not link to other message boards for the sole purpose of getting the Town Hall participants to join in.

We have not made an issue out of this with the 300M Club, but the reality is that these links and mentions are not in accordance with that Agreement. We enforce this rule all over the site, so to be fair I need to enforce it here as well.

This is a friendly reminder of the rules and a heads-up that further messages not in compliance will henceforth be removed. No messages have been removed at this time.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email rather than respond here since this off-topic and a question of policy.

Thanks for your understanding.

Pat, Host
  • scouterdonscouterdon Member Posts: 6
    Laurasdada,

Thanks for your concern. Actually we are both hurt but nothing severe. We will probably each miss 2-3 weeks work. The last estimate I got was well over $13K.

Splatt,

I will look into your suggestion. 2001 w/PHP in Red (Garnet) exterior and Slate (Agate) interior. Anyone have one handy?

Everyone,

I looked at and drove a Special today. I was not very impressed. I loved the ground effects styling and dual exhaust. I thought the seats in the Special were far inferior to the regular 300m seats. I also thought the door mounted speakers looked VERY cheesy compared to the speakers in my '99. I was also very disappointed when I found one with a slate interior. The interiors were two tone! It truly looked ugly. The plastic trim on the 'A', 'B' & 'C' pillars was white while everything else was black. It really looked hideous. There were several other interior combinations but they ALL seemed to be two tone! The performance was good but seemed no better than my '99 300m w/o PHP. I wish they made it in either inferno red, garnet or onyx green.

Oh well. I can wait a few more days.

Don
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    I believe the only red available in 2001 was the inferno red. I may be wrong.
    Also, the two tone interior on the Special is the Light Taupe/Dark Slate Gray combo. There is a single tone ALL Dark Slate Gray interior available on the Special.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I'm not sure either, but my 2000 is dark garnet red, and Edmunds lists the 2002 as also being available in that color on this page. I thought the 2001 was offered in that color as well. But I could most definitely be wrong on this one . . . .

edited to add: Just checked Edmunds "used" section and it lists that color for the 2001, too, here.

• dean58dean58 Member Posts: 14
    The 2001 was available in Dark Garnet just like the 02. The only color changes were Champagne in 01 became Lt Almond in 02 and Shale Green [dark] became Onyx Green in 02. In the brochures the 01 Dark Garnet looks darker than the 02 Dark Garnet but that might just be printing error.
    Sorry for the post.
    Came today. I just hope the weatherman (weatherperson PC) is wrong about the biggest storm comming this friday (just happens to be the day I wanted to start on the project), so I guess I will have to brake out the Box fans to try to blow the storm away from Phoenix. I am going to remove the front fesha (bumper) so to make the job easer. I will post pictrues of the unit, later. Looking at it is seems the "L" part of the base just has loose wires and is much smaller then the stock bulb base there. So it looks like I will have to not touch the stock lamp assembly.
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Thanks for taking the plunge on this one, cant wait to see the results...

As always, the more Pics the better :)
    Sorry DR . I cant help you on your light show problem. They have changed the BCM and the switch , thats the first things I was thinking. The only thing I can maybe say is to update the sotware on the BCM , to the newest version. Other than that ???
    Sorry
    OTTO
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    I'm one of those who's largely dropped out of this Board, though I do check in to read it from time to time. I have a couple of thoughts--or at least some personal revelations--as to why I don't spend much time here anymore.

First and foremost, the board's technology is cumbersome, difficult to use, and does not lend itself to being a useful information resource. With all due gratitude to Edmunds for hosting these boards, it's a pain in the neck to have to click backwards or forward one page at a time to put a message in context or to try to track down an old post that might be useful.

Second, while I appreciate that the owner of a site has the right to set the rules, things like the prohibition against linking to potentially competitive sites diminishes the board's usefulness. Pat's been tolerant about this, but the policy rubs me the wrong way. It strikes me as an unhelpful attempt to limit migration to other sites; that purpose would be better served by addressing the need to upgrade this site.

Finally, I think some of us have come to understand the limitations of the 300M as a performance platform, so the discussions about performance upgrades have pretty much died out. Along those lines, as a car that's now been on the market for over four years, many of the initial questions that new or potential buyers had a couple of years ago have been hashed over a few times.

While I've grown critical of this board in some respects, I still believe that Edmunds has offered consumers and enthusiasts a great service by initiating these forums. I appreciate it and I hope that it will continue. I do wish, however, that they would address the serious limitations that users suffer, as compared to the more up-to-date discussion board technology seen in places like the "other" 300M website.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    just a few additional thoughts on the contents of this board ... I try to read it every day to keep up with Chrysler news and some of the issues that posters are having with their M's. I will occasionally post if I have a question or if I have some insight to add on a current topic.

I love the M (we are a 2-M family), but I am not into mods, aftermarket sub-woofers, etc. Consequently, I skip a lot of the posts that appear here on HID's, Baselinks, dual exhausts, K&N or Tornado air flow systems, etc.

Having said all that, I still enjoy lurking (and occasionally posting, if appropriate). I have learned things about the M that have helped me deal with my car problems. And I have 2 custom clock faces, courtesy of Scotian, that I would not have had I not ventured onto this board!

I think the board is very useful and entertaining. I suspect that readers outnumber the posters by at least 20 to 1. So I think there is lot more activity associated with this board than you might think!
    I am also spending most of my time at that 'other' board for the same reasons that mboomgarden pointed out. I wouldn't call this an 'old' format, just one that I don't prefer. There have always been people who prefer threaded forums (the other one) or non-threaded (like this one). I prefer threaded because it's easier to post, read and search (imo).

I also disagree with the policy of no other boards. That makes no sense to me. If there is information on another board that would help a member, then why ban it? If edmunds is afraid of loosing people because of it, then they're going to leave when they find out later anyway. I think different msg boards should work together, not apart.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We have no problems with links posted merely as informational -- you'll find them all over the Sedans board. And I've never objected to the 300M Club business that takes place here until now.

The messages that prompted mine were saying, in effect, leave the Town Hall and spend your time at this other site. That is why I had to say what I said. Please note, I have removed not one single message.

Seriously, this is not the place to debate Town Hall policy. You may email me if you like, or our Interim Community Manager Sylvia at sylvia@edmunds.com.

We need to stop this line of conversation here, though.

Thanks for your understanding.
    I do agree that the M (as all vehicles) have their limitation. As for speed I have done all of the less expensive stuff, the Prowler Pro gears and the super changer is all that is left (which I will not do). Now handling is another matter. Things like skid pad can greatly be improved. With lowering, struts, tires and such it can be very close to one g. I have always enjoyed tinkering with vehicles so I will keep it up. I will slow down on the spending though, because in 3 years the warranty runs out, and if it starts giving me problems I will get a new vehicle (if they still make cars at that time :). It is nice to hear from the old foundation members every so often.
    The Mods are one of my enjoyable parts (Viva La Differance) With two M's have you ever gotten in the wrong one late at night? :)
    On the club cards I print the instuctions to the Club site as well as the Edmunds site. That way people will find the one that they are most comfortable with. I enjoy good talk no matter where it is at.
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >.. it looks like I will have to not touch the stock lamp assembly.

That's good. I talked to the Valeo-Sylvania rep today and he says the 2 pieces *may* come apart by applying lots of heat from a heat gun to the adhesive in the seam only. But then added that the Lexan lens could easily distort and not go on the body again.

I also asked a repairman about the "light show". He says after the bcm and light switch he would look at the sensor in the I.P., since that's what tells the bcm to display bright or dim. Also verify a steady 12 volts from charging system, then the DRL module, and last, look at ground connections in the area.
    As a test, try covering the sensor during daylight with a dense cloth. The bcm has a timer in the software that should count down, then dim the displays for night driving. I believe it may be 10-20 seconds. Removing the cloth should also cause a delayed response.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    SDMike posted some photos of the tips and graphic mods I recently added to my M. Go to his web page and look at Big Mike's mods and you will see about 15 pics of my M. Mike has some other great stuff on his web page too. I would have posted em here but can't do it from my computer.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    I'm off to the New England International Auto Show (no match for the NY I attended most of my life).

I look forward to checking out the Infiniti G35 Coupe and Nissan 350z, my father had a Datsun 260Z back in the day. Also, new Saab 9-3 and Mercedes E & CLK. And, of course, the Aston Martin Vanquish (oh, yeah. In this lifetime...)

Not buying anytime soon, still enjoying my now front half newer looking '99 M! But a man can dream, can't he?

Ugly, rainy fall day here in Boston. I read this board almost daily and still enjoy it.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I usually have only the keys for the one I am currently driving on me...consequently the remote entry works only on that one -- and the cars are always locked! So, no, I have never gotten into the wrong car late at night. Actually, my wife and I trade cars a lot to build up my mileage (on lease) so it will have close to 36000 miles at end of lease and also to keep her mileage down so her warranty won't expire before 36000 miles.

BTW, I have nothing against mods -- I think its great you guys are into that stuff! But when it gets technical on the specs of one mod compared to another mod, etc., I skip over the posts pretty quickly!

As you say -- viva la difference... :)
    Wire , yes the sun sensor on the top of the dash could be the problem , nice one !!
  • doc107doc107 Member Posts: 4
    I currently have a 2000 300 M PHP Dark Slate and love it. I am about to order a 2003 and have a few questions about options that I cannot seem to find on the Chrylser page.

1. I hate the aluminum look of the trim on the Special and was wondering if anyone knows if you can get Walnut Wood Trim. I did find it as an option at www.grubbsauto.com and it doesn't appear as if it is a local dealer-installed option.

2. That same page says something about three different suspension options. I thought there was only two. The www.grubbsauto.com lists: standard touring, performance upgrade (with the Special) and "sport-tuned." Is "sport tuned" a Chrysler option?

3. That same page also cites an "available high speed engine controller." And, that is something I DO NOT want.

I don't find any of this stuff at Chrysler and our local dealers are barely verbal about anything that has to do with the Special.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doc107
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I know this has been discussed in the past, but I have lost track of those posts, so sorry for the query:

I usually drive short distances and average no better than 18-19 MPG.

Just recently I did have a 300 mile (mostly) straight highway run. My average MPG (according to the overhead console "average" reading) was 24 MPG. Is this typical ???
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I have been unable to log-in as frequently as I would like, so may have missed something: Is SDMike still around? He was an almost daily poster, and I miss his insightful, informative comments. Is he OK??
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    1. Don't know where you saw the "aluminum" trim (unless you saw this on the Pro-Am model), but on the Special, it's Carbon Fiber only. There is no wood available like in other M's, but many wish it were. You can get several aftermarket wood kits for the M, two of which I know come with pieces to cover up the factory dash and door trim, they're just not "real" wood, but look really, really close to it.

2. There are actually 3 suspensions. The first is the standard "American soft" suspension. Next, is the upgrade PHP/PHG, with stiffer struts, springs, better steering, brakes, and a removed speed controller. Last in line, is that of the Special, basically all PHP/PHG, just with special lowered springs.

3. The available high speed engine controller is standard as part of the PHP package, and thus, is also on Specials. You said you currently have a 2000 with PHP, so you already have this "high speed engine controller", whether you knew it or not. Basically, the top speed is no longer limited to 118. You didn't know you already had this?

Hope this helps!