Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Ok Mike, lets see if I can remember everyone...

George Deane and family
    Glenn Beye
    Robert Powell
    Vincent Morrison and family
    Tom Sokol
    John and Evalese Mulhern
    Don Scruggs and wife (forgot her name, doh!)
    Tony Pereira and friend (forgot his name too)
    Mike Pares and family (Photographers)

I think that's everybody. A great bunch of people to be associated with.

I'll try and upload some of my pics somewhere and let you know when done.
  • toms99toms99 Posts: 252
    Ok, I made up an Excel speadsheet. Just change the values of tire size, final gear ratio, and MPH and watch it calculate RPM! (You can add a line by highlighting one of the existing lines, copy, paste, and then overwrite with your own values.)

Indicates that denvernm was doing about 140MPH when the tach was just under 4500...just like his pic!

Fuzzy- this comparison also indicates you are probably correct in that DC changed the "Special" gearing just to compensate for the 18" wheels...

WAll - Well, I probably live the closest but was the last one to arrive! Got lost in Asbury Park listening to Bruce on the Infinity - LOL! Made it just in time for the parade laps. Had fun driving ric va from the pits to the grandstands! Also had a great time holding up the LHS side of the family!

TIRE/GEAR Link:

http://home.adelphia.net/~tsokol/tiregear.xls

• Tom,

Nice meeting you at Wall Saturday and riding in your sweet LHS.

I'm looking at your Spreadsheet and if the 140 mph and 4434 rpm is correct, then if you plug in a speed to get you to redine of 7000, the answer is 221 mph. That's fast, too fast. Given the published top end of 148, and considering other factors like wind resistance etc, how do we resolve this difference? What am I missing? Another limiter for not having Z rated tires?

What is the real RPM when one is at the top end? I usually think of the top end as being when the engine is near or at redline in the highest gear.

Has anyone conducted a real life test?
  • I bought my 2001 300M late feb 2001, life's been
    just great, but this weekend I started to hear a humming sound from the rear of the car. My tires (Michelin's) seem okay, it almost sound like the engine moved the back. Especialy between 50 - 70 M/Ph it is realy loud. Mileage only just over 4000. Does anybody have the same experience ???
    Everything else is just great about this car..
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,491
    Hello, folks.
    I've been a 300M owner since June '99 and been reading/posting since probably a little earlier. I've been an import owner all my life (shopping domestics and reading reliability/quality ratings was depressing. Also, never had any problems with my Mitsubishi or Acura or family owned Nissans and Hondas), but the 300M just grabbed me (after shopping and comparing entry level sport/luxury sedans for months), so I decided to take a a leap of faith and buy:
    1. A domestic!
    2. A first year model! (although mine was built in June '99 after a few minor changes had been made, shifter e.g.)
    3. A Chrysler!

From this board, I listened and empathized with a few owners who encountered problems (hello, Fastdriver: former owner of possibly the worst 300M ever produced) and learned of some common problems. To date, the only problem I've had is the replacement of two window motors.
    Well, I've only got about 8500 miles of warranty left, so even though my M has been relatively trouble-free, Chrysler's rep for reliability and the knowledge of problems with '99s has been in the back of my mind. So...tonight, on the way to pick up dinner for the family, as I'm slowing to a red light, the tranny CLUNKS noticeably and the CHECK ENGINE light comes on (I'm at 27,500 miles). Switching to Autostick, I find I'm stuck in 2nd gear (limp mode). Rebooting (oops, I'm a computer geek) the car does not change the status. So, I imagine Tuesday I will limp to a 5* close to home and see what's what. Luckily, I'm still under warranty, but this does not give me any warm and fuzzy feelings...
    That having been said, I still think the 300M is a great car. Gorgeous styling, great value, performance, practicallity and reasonable economy. The build quality is OK, not up to the imports I was comparing it to, but then, neither was the price. I hope my soon to be dealings with the dealer (nor future reliability) does not reduce my enthusiasm for this car or my belief that with the latest generation LH cars, that Chrysler has turned the reliability ship around. I'll keep you posted. Any advice is always appreciated.

BTW: Mike Mussina is pitching a perfect game against the Red Sox, now in the bottom of the eighth. With the Red Sox anemic offense, I'm surprised that a perfect game hasn't been pitched against them already! Bright side is David Cone is also pitching a beauty. Such a shame, if the Sox could just score 4 runs a game....Oh, well. Wait'll next year. Yeah, it was Jimy Williams' fault.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

...but no perfect game/no hitter. With two outs, Carl Everett (get rid of this guy) bloops a single. Kinda shame, a perfect game would have been a fitting final nail in the Sox season of offensive ineptitude(although they've really been done for a few weeks now). My guess is that the Sox lead the league in bases loaded with less than two out situations without scoring a run...
    Wait'll next year.
    I hate it when something is wrong with my car.

• Finally back from Vegas. Enjoyed going back. Two words though....IT'S HOT!!!!! Also, that traffic is ridiculous. Some lady won over 1 mill while I was there. I won 200. I wonder if she'll trade me. =)
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    I live in Phoenix, and the temp sensor is usually off for a couple of minuets. Then is pretty accurate. Since they take the temp. from Sky Harbor it is ususally a little cooler in the outlying areas. The dealer should be able to check the sensor sender out, or adjust it.

The wistling sound. Did they check the foam gaskets that surround the vents? Do you get the same sound with the vent cover off?

Sounds like the dreded speed tranny speed sensor again. What city do you live in, if you don't mind?
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    (hope I spelled it right) do you get the same sound if you keep the car in 1st gear at the same rpms?, and second gear at the same rpms? Or is it related to the speed of the vehicle?
  • toms99toms99 Posts: 252
    I think there are a couple of issues here that the spreadheet obviously does not cover:

- the Final Drive ratio is 3.66, but the top overall gear ratio (at the transaxle) is 2.52. I don't think the engine is designed to hit the redline (7000 rpm) at the top overall gear ratio of 2.52.

- I ommitted lots of physics like friction, rolling friction, expansion of tires when heated, etc. In short, this is just a guideline.

If anyone can point out some flaw in the math or logic, let me know!
    Hello. I live in the Boston area. The dealer I purchased the car from retired, so I'm going to take it to the closest dealer to me. THis dealer actually treated me well during my attempt to purchase the M there, until trade in time. Their first offer was insulting and second and third offers weren't much better. The other dealer offered me the true trade-in value right off the bat, so they got the sale.
    I read through some of the prior posts and was reminded of the Input Speed Sensor problem, so hopefully the dealer will be able to take care of it PDQ.
    I know I'm over-reacting, but I'm just not used to problems with cars (thank you, Japan, Inc.). If my M starts to fall apart, adios domestics for many more years. I'm sure it'll be fine and I'll have several more trouble free years with my M, though.
    Good luck, Bob Lutz. I hope GM doesn't bring you down...

• sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    Don't worry, it's either the input or output speed sensor. It should be a 30 minute fix for these guys. It seems that it's a real common problem. However, if everything else with your M is rosey don't stress. You've had a wonderful experience with the car, and it should keep on performing well for you. Consumer Report's ratings of the 99 and 00 repair histories are very very good overall.
    -M
  • denvermdenverm Posts: 356
    If it's the speed sensor, can you ask them if any mechanic could just plug a new one in, or does it require some special DC tool/electronics to install? I'm starting to think it might not be a bad idea to carry the spare part, at least on long road trips away from big towns.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    I've replaced things like O2 sensors in cars for years without the need for anything except the right sized wrench, some pliars/snips (I've had wires that woudln't come unplugged) and possibly some electrical tape to make amends. My guess is that this is similar. Plug and play. Great idea on keeping an extra around!

-M
  • Hey guys, what's up? I just thought everyone might like to know (probably not) that I went to 2 car shows this weekend and won at both of them. That makes "ON DUBZ" 3 for 3, so I'm batting a thousand on the show circuit. The show yesterday was a top 60 with about a 300+ car turnout and today's was a top 200 with about a 600+ turnout (then the one from last weekend for best modified vechicle 1958-current), so I'm happy. How is everyone else doing this year on car shows ?!?!?!? Anyone else take their M's to shows? Unfortunately I missed about every show I had planned to be at due to the fact that my air suspension install took WAY LONGER than expected. =*( See you guys later !!!

http://members.cardomain.com/herrmdogg

HerrmDogg

• CONGRATS MAN!!!!! good god almighty... woopin @ss arent ya???
  • Ric, the drag on a car increases with the square of the car speed. ie, if a certain drag force is measured at 80 mph, then it will not be doubled at 160 mph, but will be four times the drag at 80 mph. This plus rolling resistance and tires flying apart limit most cars reaching anywhere near the redline in top gear. Exceptions are drag racing rear axles with 4.56 or 5.11 ratios. I have been a passenger in a Porsche Carrera at the Nurburgring in Germany where the driver had to back off the throttle on a slight downhill to avoid redline. This was in 1960 mind you, so we probably weren't doing more than 125 mph. I also rode in a Jag XK150-S (3 SU carburetors) on the same course at 240 kph on the long straight. That's about 150 mph per my circular sliderule/pencil holder. I'll probably never have another drive at that speed again, but 41 years later I still remember it.

Hermdogg-way to go, Dude!

Silver
  • While reading a consumer's magazine's rating of vehicles recently, I noticed that the classification of the 300M was"near luxury." I figured this was similar to being pregnant with "near pregnant" not being a possibility. Any thoughts why the 300M, with all of its equipment, is not considered in the luxury class? The only thing I could think of is that the 300Ms don't cost enough to be considered full luxery cars. Mike_sp1
  • Mike, I would say there are other differences besides price. The car is very sport sedan oriented, with luxury features as a bonus. Most luxury cars have quieter interiors, less road noise, higher grades of leather (vat dyed, versus surface spray), and a softer ride. Things like perforated leather seat backs with ventilation for cooling your Armani-swathed back and On-Star are missing at our price range. The M has great convenience features and road manners, adequate power--that's what I want, along with ample room.

Silver