Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    how about 80-100mph all the time?
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    I personally have the performance handling group and think it's the best $500 you can spend for spirited driving. However, it does make the ride a bit stiffer and transfer more of the road to your hands. I'm not sure if I'd get it if all I was doing was dancing down the highway at 75/80. Some of the longer term owners here will have to comment on the longevity of the drive train at constant high speeds..I have an '01 with only 5k miles on it. I do know, however, that this car LOVES to drive at 75-100 mph. Oh, if you're inclined to exceed 118mph you'll need the performance handling group to get the speed limiter removed.
  • splattsplatt Posts: 328
    If it was the other drivers fault, make sure you get the insurance info (will be on the police report) and contact the rep who is handling the service. Find out what a reasonable replacement rental would be (like an intrepid or 300M) Tell them (don't ask - TELL) that they will be paing for a rental car for you for the time your car is out of business. They will offer you like $15-20/day at first, then tell them that they will either deliver a 300M rental to your doorstep tomorrow, since they are the reason you are without it, or they can pay whatever the rate you come up with when you looked and you can handle it yourself. Tell them it's their choice ;)

I was hit and did the same thing. They took out my 94 caravan. They offered me $20/day which won't even pay for a car. I said you can either deliver another or pay me whatever the rental cost (I got a Cirrus) for the time. They took the latter :)

Good luck!
  • I hate it when a car has a cheap interior. I just do. I basically hate most GM cars, especially Pontiacs and Chevys for cheap F%&^%%&% interiors. I thought the 2000 Grand Prix GT I rented this summer, when my M was in the body shop, drove well and looked good on the outside. I just couldn't stand that interior. Yuck! :(

So, DC, Don't "cheapen" the interior. This is where many people "live" many hours of the week driving to work and such. Great looks, superior workmanship, high quality leather, innovative nostalgic instrumentation are key things to design into the next 300 letter car. Much of that in the current M, except for some low grade leather in a few places (ex. Steering Wheel!)

If people need cloth and low grade ugly plastic, there are plenty of cars like that at GM and Ford, or maybe a base Dodge. Don't cheapen the Chryslers, please don't.
  • Why get rid of cab forward? Can't we have RWD and cab forward designs? What would we have if we didn't have cab forward, poor aerodynamics and handling of the past? I don't understand this..
  • Hey I'm gettin close to the 40K mark and thinking I need to invest in tires and brakes soon. I think I've seen every tire available recommended by someone here, except Goodyear and perhaps Bridgestone/Firestone.

I'm clear on don't buy Goodyear. I've had good luck with Michelins on a couple of vehicles, so I'm leaning towards the Pilot ZX tires. Can someone give us a compelling reason to choose something else.

Brakes, hmmm what to do. Do I:

1) Get the dealer to install the Chrysler stuff..worked pretty good for the first 40K (no warped rotors).

2) Go to local brake place and get NAPA premium brakes installed. Machine or replace with NAPA rotors as necessary.

3) Buy EBC, Performance Friction, etc and Cross drilled rotors and install myself.

What is everyone doing? What's the consensus?

Thanks in advance.
  • phases78phases78 Posts: 471
    dr: hell i dont know, thats what they told me lol, im sure the intrepids, or the concordes would work fine though, 75 bucks (if i remember correctly) seems high to me, tills someone else trys it and gives a good report lol

jona: again, NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could just do what i did, and get a new one. j/k.

anyway, good luck with everything, i know dealing with insurance sucks.. and i hope you get a decent rental!!
    If it was the other drivers fault, make sure you get the insurance info (will be on the police report) and contact the rep who is handling the service. Find out what a reasonable replacement rental would be (like an intrepid or 300M) Tell them (don't ask - TELL) that they will be paing for a rental car for you for the time your car is out of business. They will offer you like $15-20/day at first, then tell them that they will either deliver a 300M rental to your doorstep tomorrow, since they are the reason you are without it, or they can pay whatever the rate you come up with when you looked and you can handle it yourself. Tell them it's their choice ;)

I was hit and did the same thing. They took out my 94 caravan. They offered me $20/day which won't even pay for a car. I said you can either deliver another or pay me whatever the rental cost (I got a Cirrus) for the time. They took the latter :)

Good luck!
  • drpixeldrpixel Posts: 256
    Tire recommendations from drpixel--.01 star mechanic: Get round ones!..chuckle, giggle, snort...sometimes I KILL myself!.....but seriously, seems a lotta folkes here favor Michelins, some like Yokohama....I figured I'd jump in and offer my .000002 cents worth!

jona57:ouch...ooch....I feel your pain...though eMily's damage was done for free by my .25 star Dealer and will cost $600 to fix, it pales in comparison to your M's wounds.....

phases78: Ya know, I just might try this Tornado thing....seems the local PeP Boys/Strauss Auto /etc. might carry it. If I buy it and it does nothing then they should take it back. It'd be my way of being some kind of mechanical-type of test dummy. The info implies UP TO 20 more HP, and mileage is supposed to improve. The mileage thing I can figure out (miles divided by gallons re-purchased..), but how would I figure out additional horsepower? ...
    inquiring wine-soaked brains want to know......

D (hic..)oc
  • yositoyosito Posts: 55
    Raybestos are the best brake pads, there are new ones,(DUST FREE)! and the heavy duty ones are also very good.
    Try PEP BOYS.
    if you find it locally I'd be interested to know as well. I was looking at their site and not only is it easy to install, if it really does what they say, why not? As for measuring in your car, I think you'd need some specific equipment to measue hp/torque. Still, all in all, sounds doable. Especially if I get the gas mileage increase. I'm driving 70m/day and that would pay off big time...
  • drpixeldrpixel Posts: 256
    I don't drive at all during the week...commute into Noo Yawk, but it couldn't hoit to get better gas mileage I agree. In theory, it looks like it will do what is says it will do......hmmmm.think the CLub would foot the bill for an $80 piece of metal?.....(wink).....
    Doc
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    You don't say how long you plan to keep the car, but here goes:

Tires: Unless you have PHP/PHG you don't need V-rated tires.

They will wear out much faster than OE tires. I had Michelin XGT V-4 tires on my '99 and was very pleased with them. DO get them properly balanced on a Hunter GSP9700...here's the link:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Brakes: If you were happy with the original brakes, why not stay with the Chrysler replacements?
    I've seen those infomercials as well. They say that creating a votex allows air to flow through your intake faster. The dyno that they showed the HP gain on went from 200 to about 220...which is a 10% gain. They didn't, however, show what they did to the engine to achieve this. ;)

Here's my question...if the air is flowing in a circle caused by these fins, it seems to me that it would have to travel further. If it has to travel further it seems that it would get to the engine slower, not faster. I must be missing some law of physics. Also, in their informercial they show a clear tube with a "propeller" in it and put an air source on top of the tube. The propeller doesn't spin. Then they put one of these $75 pieces of tin between the air source and the tube and the propeller starts turning. Well gentlemen, wouldn't a propeller turn when air is blown across its surface normally? I give you the example of a pinwheel, a beanie cap, a windmill, a ceiling fan, a propeller, etc.. Why did this one stay still while air flowed over it then spin when the air "vortex" was applied. Easy, the sumbitch must have been FLAT! So, it makes a flat propeller spin by spinning the air. So??

Maybe if I get a Tornado, those fuel line magnets, and an under-dash swamp cooler I'll be able to get 300hp and 50mpg! Better yet, I'll run premium gas in it and apply vaseline to make my plenum smoother and become INVISIBLE!!!
  • jona57jona57 Posts: 190
    Thanks all for your advice and sympathies. I spoke with the other guy's insurance firm this afternoon & they are apparently accepting fault. Their adjuster is to get with me tomorrow to get things started. In reality, I am totally grateful that no one was injured and all involved (inc. the other driver, police officer, body shop, & insurance people) have been upstanding and very cooperative.
    On a lighter note, I was joking with my wife this evening about today's whole episode 'cause yesterday she was giving me grief about who would get the first stone chip or door ding on the shiny new M. I started BS'ing about the female officer who responded to the accident scene-playing up the cute, blonde, divorced, "wouldn't leave me alone" thing- how she thought I was handsome, how she would find an excuse to call, etc, etc.. My wife's pretty cool & thought this whole bit was funny as hell. During this bull session after dinner, the phone rings & as sure as Daimler bought Chrysler --it's the same female officer asking to speak with me! Seems she needed a bit of follow-up info for her report, but my wife starts cracking up to the point I can hardly keep from laughing on the phone with this piece (er- I mean peace!) officer.
    Crass & politically incorrect story for sure, but it broke-up the tension on an otherwise sh**tty day.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    Nissan redesigned Altima for 2002 and made it look like 300M. AND they brag that it is cab forward and that why it is so roomy.
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    I made one a while back to test the theory, and no pain, no gain was the answer. Think of it this way the vines cause the air to create a vortex in the intake tube, OK I can buy that. As the air goes on its marry way making it's way through the bends on it way to the Throttle body. Suddenly it hit the TB butterfly valve and, that so called vortexed air slames into it. If there was a vortex created it is now stopped. Grab a tuna can and make you own to try it, it ould probably be better then the bought one.
    The tissue (rear) is not in question as to it's purpoise. The Clip (mine is gone (broken off to fit my Navigation Remote))can hold check books, (sun)glasses, and even you dayplanners.
    Nice job, Scotian. I am working on having my filter (cone type) located where the Plemun was. Which will fit in a 6X6X10 inch box. I am going to try (although I love the look of the lexan) stainless steel firstThat way the air from my hood scoop has a much shorter distance to travel. I plan to use a sheet of alumimun for a heat shield near the cats. The side benfit is that I gain all that space where the old air box was for some of my electronics, and compressors. If I need to I can install a second battery there also.
    Keep up the good work.
    Boy was that a pretty car. Very M-like front end, especially the headlights. The cars look like they were separated at birth, with the ES leaning a bit more to the luxury side and the M to the performance side. Maybe that's why they're both "300s". ;)

Problem is the price. The base car with cloth seats is already 31k. There are two option packages, a 3k package that upgrades to leather seats, CD Changer and HIDs, and a 7k package that has everything the 3k package does plus a premium audio system, heated seats and navigation system. So to compare to my 300M that I paid $28k+ for (with a 34k+ sticker) the ES would cost at least $6k and possibly $9k more.