Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Congrats on the special. I really need to see pics. I want to test drive one, if could find a dealer who had one. When I'm on the Turnpike heading north after the delaware bridge Saturday afternoon I'll be on the lookout :)
  • Actually, just to clarify, the 300 Convertible was a post-Daimler concept. It debuted at the 2000 Detroit auto show (the merger was late 98, I believe). A quote from Edmunds' review:

"This is the first Chrysler we've seen with strong Mercedes-Benz influences, right down to the gated shifter and COMAND-like design of its central dash. If the 300 HEMI C is any indication of what the new DaimlerChrysler is capable of, we'll take it!"

Also, if you look at the air controls two circular button arrays separated by a small lcd screen, and the gated shifter -- it's lifted straight out of a mercedes (cept for the beige color).

Picture:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/edweb/news/detroit00/photos/large/HAMMI_int.jpg

Article:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/42918/page001.html

• Heh heh.. this one's amusing -- just browsing thru some of Edmunds' past auto show coverages and ran across this about the Crossfire:

"Why should you care?

Honestly, you shouldn't. Chrysler is hemorrhaging; money, job and factory cuts are imminent; and there isn't an icicle's chance in Tucson that the Crossfire will be produced. We already know the company can make a competent sports car (witness the 2003 Viper), and nothing about the Crossfire, except for the EVIC, is groundbreaking. So move on to something else, pal."

So.. I guess Edmunds' isn't always right. :)

TysAlpha.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/45676/page032.html

• Kosh, you will feel the bumps in the road with the suspension in the Special. The ride is definately firm. Performance style firm. The tires on the car are Z rated for a reason. But except for tire noise on some crummy roads there is not much interior noise. No squeaks or other funny noises. I love the stereo in the car so for me to turn it down and listen takes lots and lots of restraint :^) But I did.

My wife is very happy with it. It is very "classy" looking for her to like (that was important for her), while being fun for me to drive (this was VERY important for me). It's really "her" car (or so she thinks...). Finding that combo led me thru some different car dealers than I wouldn't have walked thru in the past. I like it as much as the BMW 330 convertible (a GREAT driving car but smaller than my 250# frame felt comfortable in) and it is more fun to drive than the Mercedes E320 (the E320 felt like I was sitting on wood Football Stadium seats. Otherwise, a beautiful car). And the 300M costs MUCH less to own and MUCH less to service than both. My only worry is long term quality issues compared to the other 2 cars above. Resale? Who cares about resale. I wouldn't have my beloved 94' Ford Explorer if that was an issue. Oh, tell your wife the heated seats are great. Kosh, "You" will definately love this car!!!

You 300M owners are a small group but you've had this great car before me. I tried to talk my wife into one back in 1999. And drpixel, I'll be joining the Club soon.

Fuzzwuzzy. Finding a "Special" at a dealer at this point may take some hard searching... I think Chrysler is shipping them in drips and drabs to see if the public interest is up. Even though they told next to nobody (even their own dealers) that they were building these Specials in the first place. Chrysler has slowed production on them because my 5* Dealer's second one hasn't been built yet (he was told "soon"...) and he was told the other 2 he ordered have been postponed indefinately... 8500 units? I don't think so.

But, the other 300M's in my Dealer's lot were all non-PHG Luxury Group cars. I think Chyrsler loves making those cars. The Special, in my opinion, is a PHG 300M on minor steroids. Would I buy one if I already owned a PHG? Hard decision. The differences are nice though. You'll see in the pictures.

I can't wait for Kosh's impression of the car... That will help you guys and gals with a second opinion.

Again, for Otto, you did good. Real good.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    Thanks. We get a lot of satisfaction from it. :) Here are a couple of pictures just so you can see what I'm talking about. The first is the "drying area" in my den where the assembled trains harden. This is about 1/2 of the trains. The second picture is in the classroom this morning when the kids decorated the trains. The grinning one is my youngest son. :) Now that it's home he's already started devouring it! lol. What a mess!

Trains

Decorating

Have a great holiday!
    Where have you seen drawings?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    What a nice tradition! And your son is very cute. :-)

To all -

I want to say happy holidays to everyone here. My own thoughts about this occasion are that it is a time of year to express our caring about those dear to us, and to rejoice in the pleasure that brings us. Whatever we choose to celebrate at this time, I hope we all find warmth, caring and joy in our relationships - all of which are precious in their own way.

Happy holidays to everyone! And may the new year be kind to all.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    Hey Arby ,glad you like your new set of wheels. We are building around 120 Specials a day. Actually one in every 16 cars is a Special. Kosh ,any word yet??? Man it takes longer to ship than to build one .Take care
    Happy holidays to you and yours as well. You've been pretty quiet recently...I guess we've been good! lol
  • She's here, came in this morning. In fact I knew it was here before the dealer because I passed the transporter carrying it on my way to work. I only caught a quick glimps as I was heading the other way but you couldn't miss it - especially those wheels!

When I drove into the dealer this evening there it was!

Man you two, it IS a thing of beauty. I sat in it for quite a while just checking things out. That interior is sweet with the carbon fiber trim. The pictures in the brochure and on the web site DO NOT do the interior justice at all.

Then came the best part, firing her up. Man what a sweet sound from those pipes and a nice little bark when you rev it and let off the gas.

Wooooo HOOOOOO!

I get the bring her home tomorrow morning around noon - what a Christmas present.

Damn Otto you sure do deliver beautiful "children" at that factory. :)
    PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!!! Darned you two! lol
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    You saw it on the truck going to work and you kept on going! I would have done a quick 180 and followed that baby. Hey glad it finally made it. Now both you guys look after my special girls.Tell them Dr Otto says HI. Take care guys.
  • I wish I could have swung around and followed it but I was on the freeway and there was no place TO turn around. :b I work in another town 15 miles from home and it's rural interstate.
    A nice, no hassle daily commute and will be good exercise for her every day.

Arby, I gave it a little bounce test and I see what you mean, she be FIRM, but not much different than PHG equipped M's I've sampled. But man alive those wheels and tires do make it look like quite the beast.

For those with doubts about the gray cladding, I can honestly say that in person it makes the car. It wouldn't be nearly as nice if the effects were body colored. Of course with Black or Sapphire Blue it would be less noticable.

I can say that regardless of the different sew pattern the seats are very supportive and confortable, they fit like a glove and provide better bolstering than the stock seats. Although the brochure pictures don't convey it, the carbon fiber trim is polished to a wonderful gloss finish and has a sort of silver gray color to it.
  • Congrats!! I told you so. I told you so!!!! The car is something else. Yes, the interior is very classy looking with the dual colors. The Seats are very comfortable too. Wait until you drive the thing. woo hoo! Even though it's only a 1/2 inch lower than the other 300M's she feels low to the ground. Maybe because of the very wide tires. I don't know.

I told you Dr. Otto delivers the Specials like he's delivering a baby.
  • OK, I took some pictures tonight and quickly posted them on the Yahoo Club site. I'll take a bunch more tomorrow and post them there until I put a decent web page together. The ones there right now show the exterior Xenon Lights and some interior photos. Tomorrow we take the pretty sunlight pics...
  • I thought I would pass this along. It is interesting when you
    think of what we mean to the world and what we get in return.

CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and
    GM`s contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington. The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee
    contributions of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company also offered ER response team services and office space to displaced government employees.

2. GM- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of vans, SUV`s, and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen- Employees and management created a Sept. 11 Foundation, funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi- Nothing.

8. BMW- Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat- Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi- Nothing.

14. Nissan- Nothing.

15. Porsche- Nothing. Press release with condolences via the
    Porsche website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota- Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and
    August 2001. Condolences posted on the website.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    silverbullet4-

Enjoy your vacation. I'll be in the same area in RI. Going to East Greenwich, RI. When you're in the Warwick area, go to Twin Oaks Restaurant off of Reservoir Ave. You must know about this place! GREAT food! Look for me in the Red Acura!

kosh_2258 & arby500-

Congratulations on your new "babies"! Drive them in good health. Otto does good work!

All-

Wishing all a happy, healthy and peaceful holiday season. Let's hope that 2002 is better than 2001.

fastdriver
  • They are in the Photo Section on the Club Yahoo website. What do you all think of my baby???
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    According to snopes.com, some of what you say is true and some is not. For instance, they found that Audi, BMW, Honda, Mitusubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Toyota did indeed contribute to the relief efforts.

Check it out: http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/cars.htm

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • hmk123hmk123 Posts: 122
    I had seen them on the Car & Truck News (Chrysler Dodge Jeep Edition). You can find a drawing here (they have also shown up in some car magazines, even in Germany):

"http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b072701.htm"

"http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b062701.htm"