Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• mrl859mrl859 Posts: 168
    Four questions:
    1)In case you haven't read my ravings, I just got an '02 Special. I found the speaker wires crossed on the front speakers. The car has a build date of 6-02. Hadn't they already corrected the problem by then?
    2)Has the thin rubber "mat" in the console been eliminated for 2002?
    3)Is there any way you can assist me in obtaining the "infinity" emblems for the front door tweeter grilles? Apparently that has also been taken off the '02s. My dealer says the only way to get them is to order the grile assembly which includes the speakers!
    4)If I get you the VIN, can you give any great stories about the production of the car:date it began production, date it completed, did you work on it, did someone accidentally put in an experimental 400 HP engine, fun things like that?
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Posts: 122
    Congratulations, thought we might have to start a "Save Big Red Fund". Now, stay off the web @ work :>). We want you to keep Big Red and your job in that order.

How can you pass your girl friend for others to use and abuse ??? 8>(. She will remember AKA: Christine
  • drpixeldrpixel Posts: 256
    Forgive me, fellow 300m people for I have sinned...it has been 838 messages since I last checked this forum--boy do I miss 'talking' to youse guys. Here's an update:
    to sdmike2: congrats on the new job--now I'M UNEMPLOYED after 28 years at the Fed. I've been downsized along with 4 other top-graded, top-salaried folks. Figures, right?..they never, EVER cut management folk....much too importante I guess even if the management folks are a bunch of scroo-ups...
    Am actively surfinng the web looking for job as web designer, graphics guy either in NJ or NY. Of course, after 9/11/01, I'd rather it be in NJ--more opportunity to drive eMily....have a couple of headhunters scoping some stuff out, but I have read the average time to get new yob is 7-8 months. GOT 1 year salary, paid for 10 weeks UN-USED vacation, $$$ for school plus (yuchh I hate this expression...) outplacement services for 3 months, and get to keep all medical benefits except for dental which I'll have for 6 months at lower rate, then can re-up for additioanl 12 months at full rate
    When it rains, it pours Department:.
    My schweetie is facing THREE more surgeries--one on the same shoulder/rotator cuff tear (seems they missed the second tear..), then one on other shoulder and one on knee. W
    300m question:838 messages since I last checked this forum, and whats at the top of the last page (to me, anyway?..) a light show question. Here's MY question to ALL who have had this problem. I've had eMily to dealer today about same thing. Those of you who know me also know I've had TWO BCM's replaced. Some here have had 'light switch' (I know theres another name for it...) replaced. This problem has reared its ugly head again with dashboard lights flicking on and off with associated clicking/relay noise from driver side under dash. They of course "could not duplicate problem".
    I told Service rep about club and how several (my guess now is about a dozen?...) members/posters here have had same/similar problem.
    continued...next message
    drpixel
    continued.....drpixel:
    What I need is for any of you who have had this problem to please email me to home email address ASAP as I am returning to dealer next Tuesday (8/13) to have this taken care of. I need to know if there is an OFFICIAL TSB on this problem, whether or not your 5* DC dealer fixed problem OR went to Dodge 5* dealer to get fixed. I told them that several had gone to DC dealer, who was unable to solve problem.They seem to think (after speaking with DC..) that this problem could be related to a #300 ground wire (located UNDER driver seat.....hmmmm) which can cause the following: light show, seat moving forward on its own, dash lights flickering/flashing, door locks going up/down, gas gauge reading empty, head lights flashing, etc.
    continued...
    The dash light thing ocurred about a month after SECOND BCM replaced. Dealer is 'reluctant' to replace BCM again.

continued.....
    home email is GBeye@att.net include member number in message subject so I can tell your message from spam/etc. okay? Good to see you all and be back posting. Job search is terrifying as its been 28 years since I wrote a resume.......
    Take care,
    unemployed drpixel/Glenn
    this happen?...sheesh......
    Doc
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Posts: 122
    The Des Moines Dealer is legit. I bought a 7 yr 100k for my 01LHS from him. I put it on a credit card just to be safe. Chrysler wanted $3250.00 direct from Chrysler web site. He sold it to me for $1850.00. {plus no sales tax saving you even more} I called and talked to him before ordering to get a feeling of the legit of it.
    He said he would mail my credit card receipt that day and that I would get policy direct from Chrysler in 2 to 3 weeks.
    Got the receipt in two days and papers from Chrysler in about a week.
    He explained that he only gives this price to out of state buyers on the net who he could not hope to make a sale to at regular prices. He said Chrysler could car less what he sells them for just like the don't car what he sells a car for. He said if he sells a dozen contracts a week at $200.00 profit on the net that's $2400.00 extra profit per week for the business.

By the way he offers the contracts for cars up to 48 months old.
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    Nor have I ever had that problem. I wonder if it is because I have added so many new grounds to my car, with all the added electronics. Hope you get your answer soon.
  • psterpster Posts: 293
    jr, I think auto is correct on this. The evaporator is located behind the passenger dashboard. I have seen small "boxes" in the engine compartment on some cars where the low and high pressure a/c hoses enter the car through the firewall, but that is not where the evaporator is. I was hoping Chrysler's engineers had maybe managed to have the evaporator accessible from below, but why would they do that with the battery where it is. Oh well. A/C with dye is cooling nicely now with no apparent loss of "cold air" in a day and half of driving it. I am more and more concerned that it is a very slow leak in the evaporator coils, but we'll see. Question, if it's still cooling in a week, should I just not worry about it until it blows warm again? Seems like freon recharges 2-3 times a year might be better than a $1200 repair bill. I'll just have to find an environmentally indifferent repair shop to do it for me. I'm sure they vent the stuff in Mexico City......
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    It sounds like it pays to get the contracts early. $3200 for a warranty is way too expensive. That is 3.5 times what I spent for the same thing (counting that it covers just about everything and is $0 deductable) just before my car turned a year old.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    Glad your back. Sorry to hear about the job. What about "bumping?" Can't you bump to another job within the organization? Sorry to hear about the wife's surgery. Man, what a run of bad luck.

Any chance you will be coming to Detroit now that you have some leisure? If you need help to get around I found a place on Yahoo and I recommended it to Roger that will rent one of those scooters that older folks use to zip around. The shop was close to Detroit Metro and had a good rate for the rental. Its fairly portable and it will run all day on the battery. Should save the knees for those who have trouble. Let me know if you need the address and phone. Would love to meet you in person at the Cruise.

Otto-- Any chance that their will be any Graphite Ms on the lot up there when we come thru? Need to see that color live before pushing the frau to let me buy. Given the fact the dealer here just got in their first 02 Special the chances of seeing an 03 Graphite here are practically nil. There is one big dealer in L-ville who might could get one, but I doubt I'd drive up there just to see one. They screwed me around when I was trying to buy the 99.
  • jgranatajgranata Posts: 70
    take otto's word over mine, i was basing my statement on my caddy...should have known better than opening my mouth and inserting my foot...as far as the leak in the evap, i geuss you could just let it go. unfortunately, just when you need the a/c the most that's invariably when she will fail...personally, i gotta have my ac...don't like driving around in a metal box in the sun with
    no chiller...if you did bring the car back and they don't see a leak, then they could recharge it and as long as the leak isn't present at that time, you should be good to go...it may go a couple of years before the refrig is depleted to the point where she won't blow cold, or it might be a month, i don't think there's any way to know.
    jackg
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Posts: 1,116
    I also have the light show--its very occasional--but dealer ordered me a BCM which i have patiently waited for 2 months to arrive---getting upset with this negative 2* dealer--hope it solves the problem--some others here have said it is the switch for the lights or the dimmer switch -- let you know how it turns out for my M.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    That's great. Our 00' M was a complete rattle box and sounded ragged despite being babied, and after 3 months was already having issues. Our Avalanche is STILL perfect and flawless since March, rides better than the 300M (yes, really, with the Z66 suspension), is tremendously quieter, has a lot more power, and is built much more solidly and does not have a single odd squeak or rattle still. But, it is a truck and it does have a big honking V8, so those two points really differentiate it from the M.

Aztek or Rendezvous? Yeah, a little odd looking, but very high quality. GM in 2002 is nowhere near the level it was in the 60's to mid 90's, btu still isn't perfect. Then again, neither is Chrysler as it becomes more and more German by the day, losing more and more money as sales have yet to go up. Ford is just a whole other story in and of itself.

You had bad luck, and we've had nothing bt excellent luck. That just happens sometimes.

actually i did think of something that you might consider; there is lubricating oil in the refrigerant for the bearings in the compressor. if
    the refrig is depleted there will be a point were the compressor is running w/o lubrication...this is what leads to the catatrosphic type failure, where the compressor continuess to run and self destruct. i don't know if the 300m has the diagnostic circuitry for monitoring itself and shutting the compressor down when the refrif gets too low. that's what the caddy will do, you'll get a msg on the dic telling you the refrig is low and eventually, it will shut itself off and create a msg on the dic to that effect. jackg
  • Yes Otto is corect & I'll be the guinea pig on this one. The leak is in the evaporator & it's been ordered. Hopefully the fix goes in early next week & everything gets put back together the way it is now. As I said, it still blows cool but not cold. I hope yours stays cold or else...

Dr.P: don't get too bummed out. It happend to Mrs Sugar in 1998; took her about 11 months to find another (without looking too hard). She'll tell you those were the best 11 months she ever had! & all the best to Mrs. Dr P.

SD: congrats & good luck. Sorry you didn't win the lottery & just retire.

Sugar
    year is your m?...it's going to be very interesting to see how the car's repair record develops as the car ages. generally speaking, a/c problems seems to last 2-3 years and then come back...it's good that your having the dealer do the work and using dc parts. one reason some of the a/c repairs don't last is due to non factory
    replacement parts that are not made to the specs of the auto manufacturer, especially the compressor, but the i've seen evaps go south after a couple of years and they were off the shelf stuff.

some people have their cars for years and never touch the a/c system...seems to be luck of the draw..hopefully this won't be a problem area for the 300m...a/c systems can rival the transmission for expensive repairs. jackg
  • don't scare me man!! It's the gamble year, 1999 non-php w/ 59,200 miles. I have an extended warranty to 60,000 which i believe covers it. It's been a great car so far. I think mrl859 said it; I'm putting my trust in my no star (literally) dealer to do the job right.

Sugar
  • psterpster Posts: 293
    Thanks guys. I did know that there was lube in the freon, so I don't run the a/c at all if I feel it "losing its cool" - pun intended.

Sugar, you have a leak too? Yikes, sorry man! Let me know how it goes....pleeeeeeeese. And..I love the description as the "gamble year" 1999! That's what I have too, although I have the PHP. I have actually thought about buying another one, but with a warranty contract this time, but then my wife nudges me and I wake up. I chaulk it up to being raised to forgive, but not forget. Phil
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    on the new job! What will you be doing?
    Can you convince the new company to send you to Draam Cruise as a signing bonus?
  • russklassrussklass Posts: 389
    Gosh, when it rains it pours!
    Sorry about your wife's need for additional surgery; best wishes to her!
    You may have missed a previous post in the 800 odd messages, but I found myself in your situation 5 years ago at age 58.
    I have since found a small frozen food manufacturer in nead of professional sales and marketing help. In 5 years we have almost tripled sales, and I now do my own thing and couldn't be happier.
    Moral: It's usually darkest just before the dawn.
    Wish you the best!
  • hmk123hmk123 Posts: 122
    I do have the Chrysler Extended Warranty (Maxcare). Am not sure how much I paid, but I think it wasn't as cheap as mentioned by others. I did not negotiate it. Anyway, mine has a $100 deductible though and I am wondering if I should bump it up to one without deductible. I wonder if I can still do it and how much it would cost. The car itself is still under the original warranty (it is a '01 with 26k on it). Any comments? Thanks.
  • glennbpglennbp Posts: 327
    to the world of the working. Is this the job you were telling me about a few weeks ago? Anyway, best of luck and hug Big Red!
  • muskateer3muskateer3 Posts: 103
    I ended up going with a third party warranty. I got a 8yr 100K $0Ded BtoB from

http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com .They are highly rated and the independent reviews look good.

I went this route due to the price differential between mopar maxcare, the added components covered (including smog and battery), and the fact that I can have repairs done at any ASE certified auto repair facility.

This works for me as the mechanic I now use for my other vehicle is a master and I trust him. I will go there for maintenance and any repairs once the factory warranty expires (Nov 02 - won't be at 36K yet). Will only go to the dealer for major failures (engine/trans/AC/computers).

My 00 M continues to be trouble free, other than the lightshow (repaired under warranty - light switch) and lousy homelink range (also under warranty - new antenna).

Won't know for sure if this was the right choice until something breaks. But since I bought the warranty, this will probably be never. I am also quite sure that had I not bought it, the car would have imploded December 1st.

M3

• toms99toms99 Posts: 252
    Doc - Sorry to hear about your job situation. FWIW, I for one will never forget your powerful on-line blow-by-blow "as it was happening" description of the horrific events of 9-11. Your insightful comments put us all just a few blocks away from ground zero.

I don't know what the job market is like in central NJ. I grew up in Roselle Park (a stone's through from Union) but have lived "down the Jeerzy Shore" for the past 13 years, Not much call for web designers down here at the shore.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    drpixel-

Sorry for all the bad news. Been thinking about you and Mrs. P. since you've been absent for so long. Wish you had better news. As if 9/11 wasn't bad enough for you to go through. Now this.

You'll both be in my prayers. Keep us posted.

fastdriver
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Posts: 2,909
    Doc, thank your stars that you got that much severance. Although things look crummy now, when you get that kick butt job in 6 months and have an extra 6 months of salary in the bank you'll look back at it and smile. I only received 2 months severance and it took me 7 months to find a job, so I'd much rather be in your shoes. The other advice that I have is ENJOY IT! Do some preliminary job search work like getting your resume in order and getting involved with monster.com and hotjobs.com, and check the on-line job listings of local companies daily. But whatever you do, and I speak from experience, don't let it drag you down! Stay upbeat and enjoy the time you have off. If you want to talk give me a call. You have the number.

Glennbp - Not sure which one we were talking about last, but this is with company that produces tax software. OH!! I'm out of Z6....you still using it? If not, can I buy your leftovers?

M
  • glennbpglennbp Posts: 327
    NO, you can't buy my leftovers! But you can have a new bottle - my gift to you for going back to work!
  • bobspcbobspc Posts: 20
    Well I broke down and went to dealer they agreed to get the screw out, which btw I used a screw extractor on and still could not budge, anyway they agreed to take the screw out and change the plugs for flat rate of changing the plugs at 1 hour. Figure I got a bargain if this is what it turns out to be.
    Bob
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Posts: 253
    I was getting teh light show for about a month, say once per week. The last time I got it, I turned the light switch from "auto" to "on" and back to "auto". The show stopped and hasn't come back since (2-3 weeks ago). Since I have extended warranty w/$50 deductible, I'm waiting to see if anything else goes wrong before I bring it in. Bought the car w/48K miles, now 59K, and no problems other than the occasional light show which really didn't upset me. Never bought a used car before, and certainly didn't have to, but with the Chrysler poor resalve values there are some good bargains, which I took advantage of. It's a buyer's market if you bargain firmly.