Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    denverm-

"Don't tell us you'd consider buying another Chrysler?!?!?!"

LOL....NEVER!! Once was enough for me!! I'm not that forgiving. I wouldn't mind looking at them on the road.

"Maybe if DC doesn't want to build it, Acura could buy the rights and build it . . . ."

Ah.... now, you're talking! ;-)) THEN, there would be one in my garage for sure!!

fastdriver
  • denvermdenverm Posts: 356
    I posted a couple days ago about getting Yokohama YK420's on my 2000 PHG M. After a couple days of being disappointed in how the car handled compared to the stock Michelins, I called Discount Tire, and they readily let me trade up to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They cost an extra $400, which I really didn't want to spend, but now I feel like I've got my M back.

I don't mean to knock the Yokos. Their price for a V-rated tire is great and they may be a big step up from the Goodyears that came on the non-PHG M's, but this driver really felt they were a significant step down in performance from the Michelins. If driving enjoyment and passion weren't important to me, I'd be driving a used Honda. I just couldn't handle the prospect of driving my M for the next 65K miles (the Yoko tread warranty) feeling like I had given up the car's true abilities. So, if the Pilots last 40K miles, it's an extra penny a mile. It's worth it to me; may not be to others.
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    I totally agree with you. That is why I went with a Max Performance tire. The bridgestones (pole position S-03's won't win any long distance awards, but where I point them in rain or shine they go with no complantes. The added benifit is that they are quiet.
    I hope Honda doesn't build the Hemi C. They would destroy the looks entirely. The new SUV I have seen from them looks like it was make from childrens wooden blocks. At least I know where the Aztec designers went to, after leaving GM. But am sure the car cover companies would love them. As long as they have clear vinal for the windows so people could drive with the covers on. LOL
    If MB sells one of the 55amg's it would be like selling 4 of the Hemi C's. Much more mark up. So far I haven't seen a 300? design that beats the 300M. The Hemi's rear looks a little better, but I like the M's front better. The Hemi front looks "mad", I would rather have "even".
    I just saw a magazine pic of that Honda SUV while waiting for my tires to be put on, and I agree with you. The U.S. has a "gas guzzler tax"; I think there should be an "ugly tax" too. We all have to look at the Aztecs, etc., on the road; they should have to pay an extra tax to buy those things!
  • I went in this morning to flush my radiator fluid. Just by curiosity I asked if it was possible to have them to reprogram my PCM to remove the speed limiter and get the newest software because I just bought new Z rated tires. The dealer said yes and it only costed $30. After I picked my car up, I was very anxious to give it a spin. I noticed right away that my acceleration is alot faster. Then I took it to the highway. I dropped it to 3rd, and floored it. I approached 200km/h in no time. I was still in 3rd gear with my rpm's at about 5800. Then I upshifted to 4th because I was a little hesitant in redlining my engine. I had to slow down because there was traffic ahead of me. So this was the best $30 I ever spent.
    300michael -

"I hope Honda doesn't build the Hemi C. They would destroy the looks entirely."

At least I know the quality would improve!

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! You think the Pacifica looks good?

fastdriver
    Actually, for what it is, I think it looks pretty good.
  • Read this..it's all over the net. Dealer tech joyrides in a 03 Cobra while it's at the shop to get fixed. He posts on a message board about how he beat it. The owner sees the message and.....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19809&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
  • >> Actually, for what it is, I think it looks pretty good.

Especially if you compare it to this:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/48583/page029.html

ottowrkr-

LOL.... We all know that would NEVER happen at a "5-STAR" because they never road test them. They just read their well documented statements when you go to pick up your car. I know because I always wrote down the mileage. It was always the same as when I dropped it off! Hope that lady goes after that guy big time!! Shows you what kind of respect some grease monkeys have for other people's property. Also shows you his IQ level for posting in a public board!

lonestarsled-

There's no accounting for taste. It's no worse looking then some of the DC pics I've seen lately.

fastdriver
  • OUCH! Talk about your "train wrecks".

Just goes to prove the old saying: An ignorant person can be educated but stupid goes to the bone.

Hehehe, ya just gots to luv the Internet! :)
  • denverM: I agree with your decision on tires. I run Goodrich GForce T/A tires (245/45ZR-17's) on my M, and even though they only last about 20K miles, I love 'em. I'm on my 2nd set. The turn-in, cornering and wet weather handling are just phenomenal. I could never go back to lesser tires!

fastdriver: I'm sorry you had so much trouble with your M and with Chrysler dealers in general, but my M has been by far the best car I've ever owned (and I'm 63 tomorrow, I've owned lots of cars in my life). Virtually trouble free and I've gotten great service from my local dealer. I have no complaints (only praise) for either my M or my dealer.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • I finally made the leap and had duals put on my M a couple of weeks ago. I used a Hujo type setup with Dynomax mufflers for both the front collector and the rear muffler. I like the tone.... it reminds me of the kinda smooth "howl" of a Jag E-type. But I think I'd like to get just a little more volume. The all Dynomax set up is a little too quiet. I don't want it to be TOO loud, just a little louder. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should change to increase the volume just a LITTLE?
    Thanks,

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • Drove throught the dealer lot today and they had 3 03 M's sitting there. One had the Infinity system so I took a peek.

Not only had the CD changer sprouted two more buttons but the radio has lost one slider - no more midrange control. The sticker still claims 11 speakers in 9 locations but the website says 9 and 9 so I'm not sure which to believe.

All three had the "new" aluminum and chromed plastic wheels and they didn't look bad, but not as good as last years wheels either. So it goes.

I have a commute mate now. For the last few mornings and afternoons I've meet a black Special heading the other way to and from work. Haven't seen him soon enough to wave yet but we have seen each other.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    I think what you're seeing is the "standard" stereo system specs. In that case, there are 9 speakers in 9 locations, along with a cassette and single CD player. However, as its always been since 99', the upgrade system has had 11 speakers in 9 locations.

No discrepancy, just different option levels.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Here's a Deep Sapphire Blue M with Dark Slate leather and the new chrome-clad wheels:

http://www.manassaschrysler.com/Chrysler/290013.html

Beautiful color and the wheels look great on the M, but I wish they were still chrome aluminum wheels. That, and a Light Taupe interior and PHP and you'd have yourself one heck of a car!

• Well I changed my tranny sensors today and all is well. Painless, but now I need to how to reset the computer to get the "check engine" light to go off. Thanks in advance for your help.

Lynn Flowers, I picked up my sensors in your town. McKinney Dodge is the Chrysler parts dealer for www.oem-car-parts.com. You probably already knew that though.
    You could use some black electral tape it always works. lol Until the dealer can trun if off.
  • Well black tape IS the method that I used with my old '87 200SX but fortunately the M's computer seems to have reset itself. The check engine light was gone as of early this morning.
  • This is from Chrysler website:

Configurator description of the top line sound system for a standard 300M:
    "Sound system with AM/FM Radio/CD Changer, Amplifier and 9 Infinity speakers. $440"

2003 Chrysler 300M SPECIAL Standard Features.
    Sound Systems
    > 360-Watt Amplifier
    > Integrated Rear Window Antenna
    > Steering Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls
    > Six-Disc In-Dash CD Changer
    > Sound System with AM/FM Radio/Cassette Player and Graphic Equalizer
    > Nine Infinity(R) Speakers in Nine Locations.

The car I looked at had the Premium Sound and the sticker clearly said 11 speakers, 9 locations.
    The sticker says one thing, the website another - no confusion on my part.
    kosh_2258-

I'm sure ottowrkr can clarify the confusion. When I bought Christine, I had the "upgraded" Infinity system that was rated at 320 watts with 11 speakers in 9 locations. Then, one day, it became 360 watts?? Never did find out where those other 40 watts came from. ;-))

fastdriver
  • Agreed.

I'm interested in finding out why the radio head unit changed again. Now it's down to bass and treble controls after having changed last year to allow for a different wiring harness and losing the LED's in the equalizer controls in the process.

Of course if DC goes to a Bose system on the LX, there won't be any equalizer controls - Bose systems are in total control of that.
    kosh_2258-

Well, most likely what it boils down to is $$$$$$. DC is predicting profits for the next two quarters. How are they going to do that unless they "cut back"? You certainly don't think the upper echelon's PERKS will be affected- do you?

By doing it this way however, they will surely turn off the repeat buyers who don't want LESS for their $$$$$! You would think that they learned from the 80's.

fastdriver
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Hi all,

As you may recall, I thoroughly panned the "upgraded" stereo that my Concorde LTD came with.

However, I have come to notice over the past 2 months that the sound has improved significanty. It is still not what I would call premium sound, but I must admit that the speakers have warmed, the bass has tightened up, and the vibrations have mostly vanished.

I attribute this to the same break-in period that is required of home systems. Speakers fresh from the factory typically need about 40 hours of high volume play before they sound right.

I'm still not impressed (my Buick's stock system sounds MUCH better), but at least I can now live with it.
  • glennbpglennbp Posts: 327
    First, the "2 extra speaker locations" in the 11 speaker setup are the coaxial drivers. They count a coax as 2 speakers. There are really only 9 speakers, no more no less. As far as the head unit goes I'll bet it's being produced by another shop and was redesigned a little to save $$$. A buck here and a buck there really add up after a while and every dollar counts.
  • glennbp- yup thats what I was going to say. Only 9 speakers in the car . The ones on the rear parcel shelf they count as 4 speakers .The radio's are still made by the same supplier , they just have $$$ taken out of them.
    fedlawman-

"I attribute this to the same break-in period that is required of home systems. Speakers fresh from the factory typically need about 40 hours of high volume play before they sound right."

NOW you tell me! They should put that in the manual. I never heard of such a thing. You must be a true audiophile. The BOSE in my 94 Infiniti J-30 sounded GREAT from the minute I turned it on! The BOSE in the Acura CL-S sucks compared to the J-30 BOSE, but is still miles better then the "upgraded" radio in Christine!

Learn something new every day!

fastdriver