Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• ajpiiiajpiii Posts: 260
    I had a similar problem with keeping tires inflated on the chrome 17" Razorstars... I wasnt using the Goodyears at the time, I was using Bridgestone's... Always wondered if the rims were the problem... I solved it by selling both the rims and tires, and buying aftermarket wheels
  • denvermdenverm Posts: 356
    LOTS of folks with the Goodyears have had the vibration problem.

I don't think I've heard of the inflation problem before. I haven't had it with the 17" chrome rims on my 2000, always using Michelin tires.

• blondablonda Posts: 542
    Do yourself a favor and replace the Goodyears with something else. Typical story -- Goodyear blames Chrysler and Chrysler blames Goodyear. Beginning 2001 model year Chrysler stopped using the Goodyears the the M's and guess what....no more problem. I had the shimmy too and dumped the Goodyears and 29K. No problems since. (Didn't have an issue with inflation though -- never heard of that one).
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    Lapasada2- I have a 99M. 52K miles. I had the shimmy at low speeds [25-30 mph]. Mucho rotating using the full sized fifth tire to try to identify the problem one, mucho balancing efforts and alignment checks. Rode great at the higher speeds [60-80 mph]. I finally got tired of it one day after the dealer's balancing expert took a test drive and said he thought I had at least 2 tires with bad belts, which expained why I could never isolate the bad one--there were two. I got tired of the hassle at 40K miles and switched to Goodrich Comp TA's. I wanted to go wider and lower. They have ridden better, but I have had a problem keeping the air at the right PSI. One time the shop said that the rim on a tire that seems to always be low had some corrosion along the inside bead area, and that was causing a seal problem and a slow leak. They sanded it and it helped, but I still have to check them about every two weeks. Never had an air pressure problem with the Badyears, but the TA's are a wider tire [225/55-17 vs. 245/50-17] I can understand how the problem can develop, and you can too, if you ever use a gas station air pump. Press the valve on the hose and you will see all sorts of condensation or water spritz out. Must be condensation that forms in the compressor. Anyway, assuming some of that water gets pumped in every time you air the tires corrosion inside seems like a given. If I were you I would go to some new Yoko Avid T4's at about $90 each. Others here have raved about the difference compared to the Badyears. Good luck.
  • My hat is off to you for getting the attention you did. I became completely invisible to Goodyear dealers at 12,001 miles. One tire began to pull hard at 13K miles and NOBODY wanted to deal w/ GY. One dealer told me that he usually just eats the cost of a GY tire when a customer needs work under warranty. I've never had any inflation problems w/ my chrome rims.

I'm still on my factory tires at 23K miles. Down to very minor vibration at 45-60 mph. I just can't rotate them any more. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to switch to Yokohamas before winter gets here. I'm also tempted by Pilot Sports, but they are double the cost so I doubt I'll go there.
  • blondablonda Posts: 542
    Interesting comments in this article from DC's Bernard Robertson re: quality and JD Powers ratings.

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20021025S0041

• wire2wire2 Posts: 188
    are typically as close to a perfect balance as you can get, since they're machined perfectly round on a lathe after casting. At the plant, we find that the hole for the valve creates a "light"
    spot, and that amounts to a fraction of an ounce.

>GoodYear Dealer now tells me it's the problem with the Factory Installed Chrome Rims and not the tires.

Inflation problems with aluminum rims tend to point to corrosion of the bead surface or porosity in the rim casting, whereas balance issues are usually tire related.
  • drpixeldrpixel Posts: 256
    Many thanks to all (ESPECIALLY you, Pat..) for the kind wishes for both myself and my schweetie Linda. It has not been a good year all around, but hopefully it will get better. I've been plastering my resume at any job search website I can find. This afternoon, I submitted it to Samsung Electronics Corporation for a position as "Web creative Designer", located in NEW JERSEY about 15 minutes from my Mom's house. It was written as though it was specifically for me. I'm hoping that I'll at least get a first interview. Job description:
    ============================================================
    Develop visual creatives to be posted on the company website and external spaces

This position will be responsible for developing visual creatives
    that will be posted on the company website and external
    Internet media spaces. The types of the creatives will span
    from buttons and dialogue boxes to Internet banners of various
    sizes that often involve Flash animation. The position will
    generate ideas to improve the community forums of the
    company website and take part in implementing them. The
    position will contribute to enriching the company's presence on
    the Internet space and promoting the brand. It will also help
    the company reduce the response time of generating creatives
    as well as cut down on the expenses incurred from relying on
    external resources.
    ==================================================
    Was this written for me or what?!....

Light Show revisited, again...
    Was reading about others who have had the light show problem. Called my -234 star dealer who has yet to get back to me about when senior DC Techmaster was coming to the dealership.
    Called local Dodge dealer and spoke to service manager who said 'no problem with bringing in eMily...be GLAD to..". He did agree that it could be the BCM again, but asked specifically if it was replaced with by a Chrysler BCM....(?!). Also said that tech had to re-program the BCM, and some other stuff that escapes me right now. (Today had wisdom tooth yanked, and have, um.. self medicated with Percocet which is kicking in....)....

wine making...
    Was not involved this fall with assisting in the wine-making due to homework from my outsourcing service. I have, however been helping in quality control (tasting...)..its a tough job, ay?

Sorry Pat for the off topic stuff, but its been a while and well, the med's have a way....so....
    tomorrow I go for 3rd shot of Syn-Vesc (think of it as WD40 being injected into your knee) and hopefully it will help the agonizing pain.. If not, the ral Doc said a knee replacement might be needed (YIKES).

To Jona57, buddy thank you so much for your nice comments; but keep in mind there are others who also helped with the website. Denverm in CO has always been there, keyboard and mouse at the ready, as well as David D. in Florida. Its one of the reasons why Roger and others have asked for people to come forward and run for office and to help out in the running of OUR club, which now numbers over 440 members who have joined. Breaks down to
    120 '99 owners
    119 '00 owners
    104 01 owners
    88 02 owners
    and 10 Enthusiasts (intrepid owners, Concordes, etc...)
    Rob, thanks for your nice words too.... got to go eat something, but wanted to say a big thanks to you all.....

Doc
  • dean58dean58 Posts: 14
    My tires started losing pressure when the goodyears were still on car [second set] at about 45000 to 50000 miles. '99 with chrome wheels. At 50000 I put on new Michelin Energy and they continue to leak. I now have 65000 on it. The Michelin dealer has taken them off and remounted them and says he can't see a problem. One never loses air at all and the other three go down about 4 to 6 lbs a week. It seems that the problem has to be in the rims.
  • dean58dean58 Posts: 14
    Does anyone here have one of these graphite PRO-AM's? I have seen some dealers that still have several left on their lots. I wonder how many were made and when they were first available?
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    I think they became available around the February to April time period. I have yet to see one on the road, but looking through some online inventories, there seems to be a ton left on the lots.

If they'd just offer the car with PHP, then it would be really, really nice!
  • ajpiiiajpiii Posts: 260
    I should add then when I had the goodyears I didnt have the problem, as soon as I switched them, I had the problem... I think its the rims too...
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    Mine loose a little are but I am running between 41-43 pounds. My goodyear LS tires were never a problem except for the lack of traction on dry and wet roads.
    Neat site one problem Washington DC is always in the dark I wonder why???? :)
    How far in advance do they notify you for signing up?
  • ....are typically as close to a perfect balance as you can get, since they're machined perfectly round on a lathe after casting. At the plant, we find that the hole for the valve creates a "light"
    spot, and that amounts to a fraction of an ounce.

This would be true for aluminum wheels that are machined from forged billet aluminum stock, our wheels are cast aluminum and thus can have porosity and void defects internally to the rim, which could cause a wheel to be difficult to balance. Forged aluminum wheels are also lighter and stonger than cast aluminum.
    Do you know what the Kelvin (5200K, 6000K, 7000K, or 7500K)rating on the HID bulbs is? I would like to get a kit that compares to it in color for comparison tests. If you know what the Lumns are that would help too. (3200, 3000, 2800 or 2400)
    would not the valve stem assembly (some are made of stainles steel) help make up for the lost alumninum from drilling the hole?
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Posts: 338
    According to Sylvania:

D2S: Lumens 3200 Temp(K) 4250
    D2R: Lumens 2800 Temp(K) 4150

I can't remember which of the two isn't shielded, but that's the one the project beam uses.
  • whatcha been up to? Did you sell the M? Hows the new ride? What mods have you done on the NSX? Any pics? So where ya been hidin'

EZ
    Good to see you back, actually easy already asked most of the questions. Don't stay away so long next time.
    PS not a good place to park the M.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    av-

Welcome back!! How are you? Any NEW pics of the NSX that most likely doesn't look like an NSX anymore? ;-)) Is the modded 300M gone?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Almost 20,000 miles on my CL-S. Still waiting for something to break, fall off, leak or stop working! Nothing yet! So damn boring. This "perceived reliability" is for the birds. At least Christine kept my blood pressure up and my phone bill with calls to Auburn Hills. Oh well. Live and learn.

fastdriver
    Thanks for the information. The R has the shild on top to restrict the light on non-projection lamps, or the cars have the caps over the lamp (as the 300M's do). I thought the stock lamps would have a higher kelvin tempature.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Posts: 338
    Yeah I thought the same thing considering how much whiter the output appears to be compared to a halogen.

Since SMPTE "white" is 6500K, I would have expected something at or above that.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Posts: 960
    First and foremost, a hearty welcome back to Av. Hope you are well. We have really missed you and hope that you are not just making a guest shot. With you gone and SDMike pretty much out of the loop here, it has been less entertaining and informative. Stay around and update us. In any event, you got to make it to the Dream Cruise next August, no matter what your ride is by then.

Second, on the Pro-Am. Have never seen one here in KY. Maybe that program would have worked better if they gave you the car for buying the clubs instead of vice versa?? Anyway, the color is great.
    >... thus can have porosity and void defects ..
    could cause a wheel to be difficult to balance ..

Yes, those possibilities exist but are unlikely. After machining they're inspected and any wheels with visible porosity are melted again. I was speaking from experience in our tire/wheel room at the plant. Wheels come to us with yellow stickers on the rim indicating the light spot, and virtually all of them are at the hole. We've spun wheels (only) on a balancer and they're usually close to perfect. Incidentally, tires have the same sticker but it's located at the heavy spot. After mounting a tire on a wheel, it goes to a "match marker" which holds the tire stationary and turns the wheel until a camera sees the 2 stickers adjacent. That allows the least amount of weights to be used.

>Forged aluminum wheels are also lighter and stronger ...

... you left out expensive :o)

>would not the valve stem assembly ... help make up for the lost aluminum from drilling the hole?

Yes, and the pressure transponder adds an insignificant bit more.

According to Sylvania:
    D2S: Lumens 3200 Temp(K) 4250
    D2R: Lumens 2800 Temp(K) 4150

Not sure if it's different, but the Special uses D1S.
    My '95 Stealth (with 18" $1200 CDN each, wheels) was losing air slowly. I "cured" it by injecting ½ tin of tire seal into each tire, then driving it for a few miles to distribute it.

While looking for a temp listing for a D1S lamp, I found under http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/hidfaq.htm the statement;

"To operate properly, HID light sources must be used in specially designed optical systems. Since HID bulbs produce so much more light than halogen bulbs, if you replace halogen bulbs with HID you will generate an illegal beam pattern."

• thanks for the welcomes guys, i really missed this board. well bad news is i sold the nsx awhile ago, it just wasnt....it didnt flow well with driving it to college and stuff. it got keyed more times than i can count, and it was NOT fun to repair. not cheap either, so i said the heck with it and sold it. ive been riding around in a surburban and a motorcycle for awhile now. the deal i had worked out with the buyer for the 300m (monthly payments and if missed more than 4 deal was off) it feel through. so i payed the rest back and bought the car back :) here i sit again with the glorious 300m. afraid the guy beat it up pretty bad though, interior, leather, window motors, its all busted up. the poor thing :(

so i dont know what im gonna do yet, keep it or fix and sell. but either way its good to "see" some familiar faces. hows everyone been?

Oh yea, im in kentucky now, lexington right by UK campus, anywhere up this way?
    ps. the train tracks were closed ;)
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    avalanche165,glad to hear from you.Welcome HOME.