Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Veloster

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Red interior requires at minimum the Style Pkg.
    Also, only white, red, or black exterior is available with red interior.
    Base Veloster is not available with red interior.
  • with the Hyundai Veloster. I will keep a watch on this car and how it does with consumers throughout the coming months. I really like how the production version of Veloster came out. It tops the concept Veloster look even. And the paint jobs are vivid with the car, too.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,654
    And the paint jobs are vivid with the car, too

The paint really is striking...I'm not certain if they have a new process; which could potentially have issues (new process...bugs not worked out, etc).

Or they may just have bolder colors to go with the bolder design; e.g. having a Camry in a similar red may look silly.

Either way, at this point, the paint/colors remind me the first time I looked at a 24" mac monitor...wow....
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    edited October 2011
    Hyundai has hit another home run with this 2012 Hyundai Veloster.

2012 Hyundai Veloster

Wow, the car looks stunning in red.

• Is the Veloster's motor and transmission a new design or from a pervious Hyundai?

Also, does the motor have a timing belt or chain? Is 100k the first major service required?

Thanks for any info!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    The engine is shared with the Accent, but the Veloster's automatic is a new six-speed dual-clutch unit with shift paddles. (Manual is 6 speeds also.) Engine has a timing chain. Not sure what you mean by "major" service interval, but most Hyundais have a major service interval at 60k. Won't be as "major" as in the past of course because no timing belt to replace then.
  • Thanks backy for the info!
    Thanks for confirming the Veloster's engine is also shared with the Accent. Would you happen to know how long the motor has been in production?

What is the 60k major service? I'm going to guess tranny fluid and coolant changing, then plugs at 100k. One thing I do like about my Accord is the minimum maintenance and hoping Hyundai's are as easy to maintain.

Thanks again.
    Hyundai has their maintenance schedule on their site.

This is their 60k maintenance for a manual. Nothing major...a bunch of inspections and changing of air filters.
    The 1.6L GDI Gamma engine debuted in the 2012 Accent, so it has not been in production very long. Hyundai's first GDI appeared about 2 years ago in the Sonata.

You can find out more about the Gamma engine by searching the Web on "Hyundai Gamma engine".
    I sat in a Veloster with moonroof today. My hair (which is pretty short) brushed the headliner. I'm 5'9". That was after moving the seat down a bit and reclining the seat another notch. A little too tight for my taste. Seat felt comfortable, though.
  • I hear this all the time and our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has a sunroof. My head doesn't get that close at all to the pup. Next time in the Lancer I'll check it out. I'd estimate that the top of my noggin is no closer than about 3 inches to the slider on the sunroof...but I'll try and remember to check it next time I enter the cabin. Weird stuff, it shouldn't "brush the headliner."

That's just wrong, on at least one very important level. The top of yer head, that level! Gotta check this out tomorrow morning.

• vitaminjnutvitaminjnut Posts: 5
    edited October 2011
    I read that too and thought it couldn't be accurate. I'm 5'8" and have a long torso and I've got close to 6 in of clearance in my Veloster. Not too mention a previous poster stated:

"The ergonomics were very well thought out and I fit comfortably (6'3") with room to spare."
    burn that head...

The Veloster is off my list...just can't fit.

I'm only 6'3" (not an NBA player) but get very close in the base (seat leaning back)...and with the sunroof I have to tilt my head so it goes by the glass.

And being follically challenged means a burnt head :)
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Well....

You could always open the roof and stick your head out! Just be sure to have a lot of sunscreen for the summer and a good hat for the winter!

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
    heh...I made that mistake many years ago with a rented convertible (better coverage on top at that time)...my neck started to hurt...all red :)
  • gugaguga Posts: 2
    I have had my Veloster since mid Oct and love it. As I am not a techy and as a senior I look for some other things. First, the car has amazing styling and for my driving it does just fine. Let see how I feel after my fiirst trip to Yosemite and have all those hills to climb. I got the manual shift and it is just fun and so far, my milage is great.

Having driven the car twice, before purchasing, I didn't really grasp the visibiity or parking problem. On a long drive or in heavy traffic, the visibility requires extreme CARE. Parking - there are no guidelines with the front or the back. The car has quickly been "initiated", because of this difficulty.

I bought the basic model and the seats in the style pkg are soooooo much nicer that I wish they would have offered a small upgrade for the seats. It was not worth the extra $2000 and several people recommended not bothering with a sunroof.......

The car did come with the trunk tray - wheel locks and cargo bag----- all of which I had to pay for, why not for the seats. But even more important is the sensors. Given the poor visbility this should be manditory for safety and if I have to pay for a cargo tray, etc, why not include the sensors in the basic price even if it ups the price a couple of hundred $$$. This is a safety need. After market gets expensive.

One other huge gripe with the car are the head rests. Everyone who sits in the car and is at least 5/8-9" tall has no problem. I am 5'4" and the head rest is angled way way to far forward. The first few times I drove a long distance, I had headaches....moving the seat helps, but not for my comfort of reaching the pedals. The headrest only goes up/down and needs to either be redesigned or move back/forth a bit. Passengers who are short have also commented on how far forward their head is and have to move the seat, uncomfortably" back to not have their neck be pushed to a wierd angle. I hope the powers that be at Hyundai, check this out with shorter people.

I woud give the car 4 stars, but drive it ALOT and park it ALOT before purchasing so you know what you are getting. Also, don't be short....with the way the seats/headrest is designed
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I just picked up one in Electrolyte Green with Style package and DCT. Having read and viewed a lot of reviews on the Veloster's driving characteristics, I was pleasantly surprised at how biased many of those reviews were!

I wanted the manual but all the colors I wanted with just the Style package came with the DCT. While I still like to shift myself, the DCT is very good. There is a dead spot right off idle which may be the reason this car feels slow at the start. While it's not a speedster, the power on hand is more than sufficient for daily driving-so far getting 30+mpg in mixed suburban driving.

The headrest can bother shorter builds but I believe the angle is due to safety regulations. I am 5'10 so I have no problems with headroom front or back nor with the headrest angle; my Mom is 81 years old and 5'2" but hasn't had an issue with the headrest. I traded in an Elantra Touring SE and that model has a 4-way adjustable headrest. The fore/aft adjustment on that model would solve the issue shorter drivers are having in the Veloster. One area that may be of concern for broader builds is the bolstering of the seat bottom. I am average in build but feel the bolsters may be too close together for someone that is bigger. The steering wheel seems a bit high even after lowering it to the lowest position.

This is my third car with electric steering, the prior two being a Mazda 5 and the Elantra Touring. Both had much lighter feel but the Mazda seemed to have the most connected feel. It's amazing how the Veloster feels so much more planted and heavier than my Touring did.

LOVE the panoramic moonroof and there is virtually no turbulence at speed when it is open! The trunk is roomy but wish it had some storage cubbies built in for smaller items. Can't get over the style and quality of the interior for the price class its in!

Overall, the build quality is very good! My only concern is over the piano black exterior trim. It's actually thin plastic and will scratch easily. The rear spoiler already has some haze left by the dealer during prep.

It's amazing how much attention this car garners on the road! I've had drivers leaning out of windows and missing their lights so they could get a better look! Couldn't be happier with my new Veloster and look forward to a long road trip soon!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    edited November 2011
    the Hyundai Veloster is one rig that I like much more as a production model than I did as a concept. Sounds like you basically love the car, there's some nitpicky things here and there. That's what I was thinking about the headrest, it sounds like what is needed is a left and right adjustment on it, the one in the Elantra Touring SE would do the trick. Perhaps a special fit job might be necessary for some Veloster buyers.

I would check all relative positions of the seat before I'd go about modifying the headrest though. Sounds like a great new car from Hyundai...this is my favorite Hyundai ever. Keep posting how you like it so those of us interested in the car can learn from your experience, OK? Congratulations! :D

The Eloctrolyte Green is the best color, too, IMO, that's the one I would want, or the orange.

2012 Hyundai Veloster

I like those same-color inserts in the wheels, tastefully done. This would come in at around $18,400 for the standard transmission and the options I would want, simple package plans on this car, I like that. I'd try to get the Electrolyte Green color, that looks awesome on this car.

• kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    It was very difficult to decide on a color as these cars sell the minute they are unloaded! I haven't seen a color it doesn't look good in but I love the depth of color the Electrolyte has! It changes depending on the lighting conditions from an apple green to a yellow tinted lime.

I have just about 200 miles on mine now and the computer says I am averaging 30 mpg in suburban driving! My experience with Hyundai's tell me to expect better overall mpg once it passes 5k miles. My old Touring regularly achieved 22/city and 32/hwy so this is a big improvement!

Anyone thinking about getting a Veloster will have to be patient as they are in short supply and the manual transmission models are limited to the base car and the ones with Style and Tech package. In my market, practically all Velosters with Style package only have the DCT.

Love my Veloster!
  • Just bought one yesterday with the style package. I'm 6' tall and I have to tell you that I was quite surprised by the 2 hour trip I took today. I was quite comfortable for the whole drive. I was not happy with the acceleration at all until I switched it to shift mode, tight and sweet I thought. Can not wait until tomorrow so I can go play.