Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Veloster

Comments

• I hear this all the time and our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has a sunroof. My head doesn't get that close at all to the pup. Next time in the Lancer I'll check it out. I'd estimate that the top of my noggin is no closer than about 3 inches to the slider on the sunroof...but I'll try and remember to check it next time I enter the cabin. Weird stuff, it shouldn't "brush the headliner."

That's just wrong, on at least one very important level. The top of yer head, that level! Gotta check this out tomorrow morning.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• vitaminjnutvitaminjnut Posts: 5
    edited October 2011
    I read that too and thought it couldn't be accurate. I'm 5'8" and have a long torso and I've got close to 6 in of clearance in my Veloster. Not too mention a previous poster stated:

"The ergonomics were very well thought out and I fit comfortably (6'3") with room to spare."
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    burn that head...

The Veloster is off my list...just can't fit.

I'm only 6'3" (not an NBA player) but get very close in the base (seat leaning back)...and with the sunroof I have to tilt my head so it goes by the glass.

And being follically challenged means a burnt head :)
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Well....

You could always open the roof and stick your head out! Just be sure to have a lot of sunscreen for the summer and a good hat for the winter!

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    heh...I made that mistake many years ago with a rented convertible (better coverage on top at that time)...my neck started to hurt...all red :)
  • gugaguga Posts: 2
    I have had my Veloster since mid Oct and love it. As I am not a techy and as a senior I look for some other things. First, the car has amazing styling and for my driving it does just fine. Let see how I feel after my fiirst trip to Yosemite and have all those hills to climb. I got the manual shift and it is just fun and so far, my milage is great.

Having driven the car twice, before purchasing, I didn't really grasp the visibiity or parking problem. On a long drive or in heavy traffic, the visibility requires extreme CARE. Parking - there are no guidelines with the front or the back. The car has quickly been "initiated", because of this difficulty.

I bought the basic model and the seats in the style pkg are soooooo much nicer that I wish they would have offered a small upgrade for the seats. It was not worth the extra $2000 and several people recommended not bothering with a sunroof.......

The car did come with the trunk tray - wheel locks and cargo bag----- all of which I had to pay for, why not for the seats. But even more important is the sensors. Given the poor visbility this should be manditory for safety and if I have to pay for a cargo tray, etc, why not include the sensors in the basic price even if it ups the price a couple of hundred $$$. This is a safety need. After market gets expensive.

One other huge gripe with the car are the head rests. Everyone who sits in the car and is at least 5/8-9" tall has no problem. I am 5'4" and the head rest is angled way way to far forward. The first few times I drove a long distance, I had headaches....moving the seat helps, but not for my comfort of reaching the pedals. The headrest only goes up/down and needs to either be redesigned or move back/forth a bit. Passengers who are short have also commented on how far forward their head is and have to move the seat, uncomfortably" back to not have their neck be pushed to a wierd angle. I hope the powers that be at Hyundai, check this out with shorter people.

I woud give the car 4 stars, but drive it ALOT and park it ALOT before purchasing so you know what you are getting. Also, don't be short....with the way the seats/headrest is designed
  • kaz6kaz6 Posts: 331
    I just picked up one in Electrolyte Green with Style package and DCT. Having read and viewed a lot of reviews on the Veloster's driving characteristics, I was pleasantly surprised at how biased many of those reviews were!

I wanted the manual but all the colors I wanted with just the Style package came with the DCT. While I still like to shift myself, the DCT is very good. There is a dead spot right off idle which may be the reason this car feels slow at the start. While it's not a speedster, the power on hand is more than sufficient for daily driving-so far getting 30+mpg in mixed suburban driving.

The headrest can bother shorter builds but I believe the angle is due to safety regulations. I am 5'10 so I have no problems with headroom front or back nor with the headrest angle; my Mom is 81 years old and 5'2" but hasn't had an issue with the headrest. I traded in an Elantra Touring SE and that model has a 4-way adjustable headrest. The fore/aft adjustment on that model would solve the issue shorter drivers are having in the Veloster. One area that may be of concern for broader builds is the bolstering of the seat bottom. I am average in build but feel the bolsters may be too close together for someone that is bigger. The steering wheel seems a bit high even after lowering it to the lowest position.

This is my third car with electric steering, the prior two being a Mazda 5 and the Elantra Touring. Both had much lighter feel but the Mazda seemed to have the most connected feel. It's amazing how the Veloster feels so much more planted and heavier than my Touring did.

LOVE the panoramic moonroof and there is virtually no turbulence at speed when it is open! The trunk is roomy but wish it had some storage cubbies built in for smaller items. Can't get over the style and quality of the interior for the price class its in!

Overall, the build quality is very good! My only concern is over the piano black exterior trim. It's actually thin plastic and will scratch easily. The rear spoiler already has some haze left by the dealer during prep.

It's amazing how much attention this car garners on the road! I've had drivers leaning out of windows and missing their lights so they could get a better look! Couldn't be happier with my new Veloster and look forward to a long road trip soon!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,711
    edited November 2011
    the Hyundai Veloster is one rig that I like much more as a production model than I did as a concept. Sounds like you basically love the car, there's some nitpicky things here and there. That's what I was thinking about the headrest, it sounds like what is needed is a left and right adjustment on it, the one in the Elantra Touring SE would do the trick. Perhaps a special fit job might be necessary for some Veloster buyers.

I would check all relative positions of the seat before I'd go about modifying the headrest though. Sounds like a great new car from Hyundai...this is my favorite Hyundai ever. Keep posting how you like it so those of us interested in the car can learn from your experience, OK? Congratulations! :D

The Eloctrolyte Green is the best color, too, IMO, that's the one I would want, or the orange.

2012 Hyundai Veloster

I like those same-color inserts in the wheels, tastefully done. This would come in at around $18,400 for the standard transmission and the options I would want, simple package plans on this car, I like that. I'd try to get the Electrolyte Green color, that looks awesome on this car.

It was very difficult to decide on a color as these cars sell the minute they are unloaded! I haven't seen a color it doesn't look good in but I love the depth of color the Electrolyte has! It changes depending on the lighting conditions from an apple green to a yellow tinted lime.

I have just about 200 miles on mine now and the computer says I am averaging 30 mpg in suburban driving! My experience with Hyundai's tell me to expect better overall mpg once it passes 5k miles. My old Touring regularly achieved 22/city and 32/hwy so this is a big improvement!

Anyone thinking about getting a Veloster will have to be patient as they are in short supply and the manual transmission models are limited to the base car and the ones with Style and Tech package. In my market, practically all Velosters with Style package only have the DCT.

Love my Veloster!
  • Just bought one yesterday with the style package. I'm 6' tall and I have to tell you that I was quite surprised by the 2 hour trip I took today. I was quite comfortable for the whole drive. I was not happy with the acceleration at all until I switched it to shift mode, tight and sweet I thought. Can not wait until tomorrow so I can go play.
  • The Veloster is amazing, and I'm excited to see manufacturers already bringing aftermarket support to the community! With a turbo option in the near future, this will prove to be a fun, sporty little car catching everyone's attention! I've created a Facebook Group to help owners share thoughts and ideas with vendors on what parts should be developed. Join and share your ideas!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288607261183921/
    I'm looking to add a Veloster to my Hyundai collection within the next year. I test drove one last week and was impressed with the features and interior finish. Loving it!!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,711
    edited December 2011
    how are all of your 2012 Hyundai Veloster headrests treating you? All right? How are your interiors treating you? Seems to me I read at least one review where the person loved the Veloster's interior. What are your current thoughts on your Veloster(s)?

Hyundai Veloster in that red

• I'm rather liking my Veloster's interior. The seats are comfortable I have no issues with the headrests. (5-7) I really think this car has more value than any car I've ever purchased. Its not a pocket rocket but I'm ok with that. The only thing I'm not fond of are the 18' wheels I would have rather had the higher profile 17 inch ones. I got all the bells and whistles and really think the rear view camera is a help as the trunk has a high lip. One of the forums raised an issue with water coming into the car when lifting the rear hatch after heavy rains, but I haven't found that an issue.

I've had the white style and tech DCT veloster 8 days and love it.. LOVE IT.
    With nearly 800 miles on the odometer, I've been averaging 28 mpg in suburban driving. The stats are more accurate than my Hyundai Touring and noticed the mpg does get recalculated rather quickly when conditions change.

The feature content and build quality of the Veloster is amazing for the price! Having said that, there are some odd omissions. The most glaring is lack of any lighting for the rear compartment-this becomes pitch black at night, and a glove box light. I know they were trying to keep costs down but didn't think those two items would cost too much. I also wish there was a way to pop the top open without having the sunshade retract all the way.

As another poster stated, shifting the DCT via the paddle shifters eliminates a lot of the lag you feel when accelerating. The only other thing about the DCT I had to get used to is some jerkiness during very low speed crawling in traffic. Other than that, the transmission downshifts without hesitation and is nearly seamless in shifting.

I don't think I'll sign up for the Bluelink once the free trial is over. The app for Android phones doesn't work on my HTC Thunderbolt which eliminates a lot of the useful features of the Bluelink service. The bluetooth with voice command is AWESOME! So glad I didn't buy a bluetooth headset!

It's crazy how much attention this car garners on the road! People literally turn around in their seats to get a look and I always have a car that lags behind to get a good look before pulling up next to me at a light-this happened today with the driver of a brand new Camaro convertible!
  • ginns5ginns5 Posts: 16
    at 5'4" I fully agree about the head rests.I have the Style package and was forced into wheel locks and cargo tray, but not the ADP.Overall, am very satisfied.For some reason or other I have no visibility concerns.
    It took me multiple phone calls, 9 different tech support people and two full weeks to properly get my Veloster registed to MyHyundai.com and onto Blue Link.In Hyundais favor though, they never gave up trying until I was fully satisfied and fully set.
    This is typical of Hyundai support which I have found outstanding through now my 7th Hyundai, and, yes,I had the '86 Excel.They over support their product, are anxious to please in any way they can.
    I would never hesitate to recommend a Hyundai to any one who asked me.
  • gls1gls1 Posts: 1
    We have owned the Veloster,white with the style pkg now for 2 months. All our cars in recent history have been Toyotas and Nissan's. This is our first Hyundai. While I like the style of the car and some of the features, I am dissapointed in the lack of power the engine has and the 6 speed gearbox. Hyundai has just come out with a TSB for the engine that does help the hesitation between 1st and 2nd and gives the car a little more power,but the best that can be done on the mpg is 34 with 95% being on the open hwy. I guess the 40 mpg on the sticker was just a suggested mpg but the previous cars we owned have always beat the stickered mpg. Ive had my rounds with Hyundai on the Bluelink without satisfaction. We turned down the free trial of Blue link because of the privacy issues that have arisen from Onstar and all telematics systems. Even though we have never registered the system, we still get a commercial on screen everytime we start the car. Hyundai says they cannot stop this even though its just an app or software in the system. Im glad for everybody that has a Veloster and loves it. Ill go back to a Toyota next time. Maybe my expectations were too high for Hyundai to meet
  • So far so good with my Veloster. Indeed it is more eco than sporty; I am getting ~35-36 per tank at about 80% Hwy/20% City driving. I have the base model and am pretty pleased with the basic amenities. Head rest has not been a problem (I'm 5'8"). The doors seem long so I am having to be careful opening them in tight parking spaces otherwise I have no major complaints thus far in my 2+ months of ownership. I do get the prolonged stares on the highway. I do wonder about who will come out with a compatible bike rack system for it.
  • iv6teciv6tec Posts: 14
    To all you Veloster owners that are raving about what a great car company Hyundai is and what great service and customer care they provide, take a few minutes and check out the Santa Fe and Sonata transmission problem forums. I'm sure those owners would not hesitate to NOT recommend Hyundai products. I also own a 2007 Santa Fe and it is my first and last Hyundai.
  • drew11mdrew11m Posts: 85
    edited December 2011
    So you dont like your 07 Santa Fe? Noted. Very different car than a Veloster or Accent or Elantra
    While I have not experienced the issues noted on other blog sites regarding the transmission, it's something to be expected when there is an all new powertrain. This is my third Hyundai but is the first one with so much new technology in it. One of the reasons why Hyundais were so trouble-free in the past is that they used tested, albeit dated, technology. Ford's Focus has had similar issues with its new DCT and mytouch technology. The Mazda 5 I owned prior to my Hyundai Touring was built in Japan using the Mazda 3 platform. It had issues with the front subframe and brake rotors that warped frequently. What's my point? New cars regardless of origin are complicated machines and to expect new technology in particular to be bullet proof right off the line is a bit unrealistic. At least Hyundai provides an amazing suite of warranties!
    Having just completed a road trip to LA and back to Vegas, I have to say that I don't know why all the reviews have been so negative regarding power. Yes, it's not a sports car but it's far from being underpowered. My car was delivered after the service bulletin for the DCT fix so maybe that has something to do with it?

First, some mpg stats:
    going average of 80mph in the high desert-34mpg. This included scaling a few 4000+ft mountains and some stiff winds.

going an average of 70mph on flat hwy at sea level: 42.1mpg (the trip computer can range in error from +.5 to +1.4pmpg based on calculations at fill-ups)

Consistently have achieved 27+mpg in city driving (this does not mean sitting at idle for long periods of time but stop-and-go; short distances)

NEVER had to shift down past 5th to maintain 80mph going up steep mountain grades! NEVER had issues with merging from on-ramps with an uphill ascent. Have no trouble pulling away from traffic at stoplights.

Yes, the suspension is challenged going over rough pavement; the 18" wheels don't help. The only wind noise at high speed cruising is from the A-pillars and the tires. Seats were comfortable for 5+ hours of driving. Radio reception for AM and FM was very poor but never have an issue with satellite reception. Exhaust chrome gets sooty pretty fast on long drives.

Very happy with my Veloster and it's amazing how much attention this car gets even in jaded LA! Sorry for the long post...
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Just got to check out the Veloster Turbo at the NY Auto Show, VERY sharp car, the matte gray metallic is very impressive in person. Very comfortable car, the manual clutch has got an awfully long travel to it though (not that I care, I want an automatic). I was surprised by how much headroom I had, but this car didn't have the panoramic sunroof. That rear seat definitely isn't habitable by adults, no real surprise there, but the available legroom up front is fantastic: I'm 6 foot and didn't have to move the back seat all the way back. Maybe slightly larger children will be able to fit back there. :P

I'm hoping the backup sensors and rearview camera can be had as standalone options. The info sheet has them packed with nav and a panoramic sunroof, neither of which I would use. They don't have it listed anywhere public but they're estimating 37 MPG highway on the automatic, which for 201 HP is pretty decent (read: Amazing, miraculous, choirs of angels singing and heavenly light shining over the land :shades: )
    W/5,000 miles and 6 months on my Veloster, these are my comments.I would NOT buy this car again due to headrests, tire/wheel combo, vague steering.It is attractive, comfortable(except for head rests), fuel efficient,seems to be well made.It LACKS assist handles to get in, a halo light for the ignition, lights for window/door lock, light in cargo compt., spare tire (donut) STILL not available,turn signal indicators need relocating (right in speedo, left in tach),head rests change to 4 way (adding fore/aft adjustment)45 series rubber on 18" wheel,a manual/disc that shows MY audio panel.I would buy other Hyundai's without question.
    You know, you COULD always replace the wheels/rubber yourself...
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    I know it is a photo-shopped version, but wouldn't this be a cool car if Hyundai built it?

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/hyundai-veloster-convertible
  • First i want to say that I love my Velostar. I admit that it took me a bit to remember how to pronounce Veloster. I purchased a model/standard 2012 Gray 6 speed velostar with cloth seats. I wonder if anyone is having issues with the seats discoloring? Both front seats have discoloring simular to sun damage .... dealer thought that I had spilled something. However, i would have notice if I had spilled something in SPOTS.
    Anyway, anyone else having this issue?
  • yes I have this exact issue that I thought perhaps was back sweat LOL. But then it happened on the passenger side and I never have any :)
    Well, the pricing is out for the Turbo, and it's REALLY friggin cheap. Death to the 1.8L, heh. :)
    The Veloster Turbo has just dropped, dealers can't keep Velosters on the lot more than a couple of weeks, but it's dead silent on this board. I hope it's just because everyone is out driving the things and not because no one wants to talk about the car. :shades: