Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Veloster

13»

Comments

• gugaguga Posts: 2
    Hyundai knew that there would be a turbo while those of us bought the first models out - which groans uphill, especially with passengers, gets on the freeway going from 0 - 60 in 20 minutes..........

Mileage good, looks - the best. To say thank you for supporting Hyundai with their first model and since they didn't tell us about the turbo release 6 mo after purchase...... it would be great for them to let us trade in the car for just the difference in cost and not have to groan with how little power the 2012 has. I sure didn't think I was buy a car that was suitable for a sweet little o'ld lady - even if I is one and I sure miss some power, especially on the hills/freeway entrances.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    On the one hand, the way it looks, yeah, maybe they missed the market a little (they figured FE would be more important to the target buyer, they were actually trying to compete with the CRZ). On the other hand, I think the Veloster may make a better Accent than the Accent if they just drop a little more weight from it (maybe lose that large glass piece off of the hatch, that can't be all that light).

On the third hand, it'll reduce the mystique if it becomes their standard subcompact. :shades:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,727
    Long test drives are a great idea when buying a car... including hills/freeway entrances. Then the buyer knows if performance is acceptable for his/her needs.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    I drove one, other than not fitting in the vehicle, the power is what dissuaded me.

I'm not certain if the power deliver is similar or competitive with others in this class, but I knew from the first corner that it wasn't enough for me.

I drove it in November 2011. The salesman told me there would be a turbo model coming...and I read online a few months earlier that a turbo would be coming.

I don't think Hyundai will have a special program to "upgrade"...but the dealer probably will give you a "deal"; I doubt it will be at cost.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    The Turbo is theoretically "here" though my dealer hasn't gotten one in yet. They were hoping to have one on yesterday's delivery, but no such luck (no Elantra GT either). Maybe by next weekend. They actually have 5 or 6 regular Velosters on the lot, which kind of surprised me considering Edmunds recently reported they're turning in 15 days.
  • As the "co-signer" (my wife made me co-sign for her friend!) on a 2012, I had no input into the car selection. However, as a Hyundai owner (2001 XG300 - totaled but saved my life!, and my current 2009 Azera Limited) I was not unhappy with the choice...with some minor exceptions:
    the car doesn't come with back-up sensors standard and garage door openers build into the the mirror. In today's market, both of those things are almost base-level items.

Note: I did not negotiate anything on behalf of this woman for this car: I would have upgraded her to the '13 Turbo with the Nav and the bells and whistles. I got my wife to do that on her '11 Fusion Hybrid (she was kicking and screaming about the extra 2 grand) but now she loves it.

Final note: This was the best car transaction in terms of dealer-customer interaction I ever had. There was absolutely no pressure to buy any add-ons at the last minute, all papers were clearly explained to her (and me) and actual hard tags were placed on the vehicle before she drove off the lot (not a common occurrence in Florida.) While the deal was being written up, the salesman took her 13 year old son for a ride in his current dream car, a 2012 Camaro ZL1.

The dealership: Palm Automall in Punta Gorda Florida.
  • ginns5ginns5 Posts: 16
    Do-nut spare tire is finally available, bought it for $300.00!Had to go to Goodyear to get it mounted.Fits well into the compartment.I did change the 40 series tires for 45, top of the line Goodyears (Corvette tires).The difference in ride and handling is dramatically improved.Recently took a 2000 mile trip of hard driving, averaged about 33 mpg.Continually impressed with navigation,has worked very well.Head rests remain the only main issue, along with lights for night driving.
  • remind of what the headrest issue is again with the Hyundai Veloster. Forgot.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• ginns5ginns5 Posts: 16
    Headrests have no fore and aft adjustment , are too far forward for comfort, you can't lean back into the seat easily.
  • that doesn't sound very comfortable with the new Hyundai Veloster's headrests. I would think that Hyundai would be getting right on fixing that, eh?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

13»