Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Azera

oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
Anyone have any idea on the pricing? Similar to 2011?

p.s. I saw a really nice looking Tucson at the dealer yesterday but upon reading reviews , it seems to be a very noise car with stiff suspension. Anyone driven one?

Comments

• jkolehjkoleh Member Posts: 38
    Anyone know when the 2012 Azera will come on market??
  • graphorgraphor Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    I am an owner of 2011 Hyundai Grandeur (2012 Azera in the US) in Korea. Recently, a significant gas fume problem has been discovered, that is, the gas fume enters the cabin through the trunk space. If a car is driven for several hours at high speed (like 70~80mph), which is a common driving situation using highways in the US, then CO level can go up to 30~40ppm, which could be a significant danger to health. I hope American version fixes this problem, but Hyundai still does not want to recall Grandeur in Korea (what Hyundai is currently doing is providing a temporary solution, which is closing all the holes in the bottom and inside of the rear bumper using plastic stickers and sealant). This is a link to the news article regarding this problem in Korea (I hope you can read Korean ;-):

http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/economy/car/503485.html

I read a similar post by one of the Genesis owners in the US. I am not sure if Genesis has a same problem, but it seems so according to this post:

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=7937

I hope US customers are wise enough when choosing a car.

Best,

From an angry hyundai owner in Korea
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Here's info on the 2012 Azera that might interest a few...

Hyundai USA link

Press Release Info
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm still not entirely sold on the grill style that Hyundai is using on cars with the "fluidic sculpture" design but I very much like the rest of the body.

293HP from 3.3L w/29MPG highway. It matches the Avalon's economy but provides more power & more power/liter. Hyundai's getting a lot of benefit from their transition to GDI.

The interior lighting accents look overdone in the pics but I'm guessing the effect is more subtle IRL.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • graphorgraphor Member Posts: 3
    2011 Hyundai Grandeur, which is same model as 2012 Azera, has a significant health issue. Exhaust gas enters the cabin space.

http://tvpot.daum.net/v/37298848?lu=flvPlayer_out
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    I like the grill on the Azera better than the Sonata. They have toned it down a touch in my eyes. The profile of the Azera is closer to an Optima than Sonata and that's a good thing.

The Hyundai website lists a curb weight range as 3,605 to 3,825 lbs. Any idea why the spread is that wide? With only one drivetrain/powertrain available, that seems (220 lbs) unusual.

The Azera could be the entry-level luxury car that Hyundai needs to break into the middle-class, baby-boomer market in a big way.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Hyundai has had 6 years to break into that middle class, baby boomer market and it hasn't happened yet. It's a great car, but gets no marketing and is pretty much a stealth car - I may see another Azera once a month or so.
    IMO, the Sonata will continue to get the marketing and the big sales numbers.....although Azera does have a chance to pick up sales of customers who must have a V6, since Sonata no longer offers one.
    On the weight, my guess is that's a "world" weight range and allows for powertrains that aren't going to be offered in the US. Then there are options like the sunroof.

I checked the Sonata's specs & Hyundai's shows it weighing anywhere from 3161 (GLS w/MT) to 3452 (2.0T w/AT and I presume gobs of features).

WRT to cobrazera's marketing concerns, now that Hyundai is more established & moving up the ranks in the US, perhaps they'll spread some marketing money to the new Azera. I'm sure they will at least when they new car is released to dealers, but after that IDK. After all there's only so much to go around & they offer 6 sedans: Accent, Elantra, Sonata, Azera, Genesis, and Equus. There's a lot of overlap as you move from car to car.
    edited November 2011
    The current generation Azera is a nice car. Hyundai spent the last few years upgrading every model, so this new Azera might be the one that knocks the door down on a lucrative class that includes the Toyota Camry XLE V6, Honda Accord EX-L V6, and Buick Lacrosse CXS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing this image, it appears much of the 220 lb spread in the 2012 model's curb weight goes into the huge glass roof.

• gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Where in the car do they hide the interior cover for that glass?!...
    It's a split cover; half comes out from the front & half from the rear. In the Azera promotional video they show it opening.
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2011
    wrong class Azera is classed as a LARGE sedan; those you mentioned are mid sized offerings only a few Large sedans in the US that aren't lux Chevy Impala, Toy Avalon, and big Caddy....there's the usual Euro?Asian suspects that still make Large sedans ...M-B, Audi, VW, Jag, RR, Bentley, Porsche ,Lexus, Infiniti
    Most people shop by market class such as "Family-size sedans", not EPA-size class. The Sonota and Elantra are technically mid-size and large respectively but their market-classes are compact and mid-size.

Models are cross-shopped all the time. A bit more definitive is Luxury vs Mainstream and even those models are cross-shopped a la ES350 versus a loaded Camry XLE V6. Just as an Azera will compete will a loaded Sonota Turbo.

The Azera has the size and weight (and hopefully price) to land the middle-class baby boomers that want a full-size, refined sedan.
    edited November 2011
    It's hard to imagine anyone trying to decide between a Sonata turbo and an Azera. Totally different focus on those two cars. One a somewhat coarse midsize performance sedan with a turbo 4, and the other a refined 6 cylinder touring car.

BTW, my son has a Sonata turbo and the advertised horses are just not there unless premium gas is used - it does return over 35 MPG highway on regular gas, though.
    edited November 2011
    I was using a high end Sonata and the Azera as examples. I'm certain some will cross shop them but I see your point.

A friend of mine bought a Lexus ES350 with the two other models considered being Toyotas, a Camry XLE V6 and an Avalon.

Your observation regarding the Sonata Turbo are similar to my thoughts. The Azera is more my speed and when I saw the curb weight of the new Azera - I was surprised in a good way. It should drive and feel like a substantial vehicle.
    I agree also...2 different cars for 2 different markets using premium sucks
  • stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    From the pics and videos that I have seen so far, I can't wait until February to trade in my '07 Azzy.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with mine...72,000 miles and still not a rattle in it. This is definitely the best car I have had in many years!
    edited December 2011
    In regard to Sonata Turbos requiring premium gas to attain the advertised horses.......with premium gas at $.20 higher than regular, it becomes more of a bargain, percentage wise, as gas prices increase. Some stations around here are starting to charge more than that $.20 for premium, but there are still some where the price is holding. My truck requires 89 octane, it will run fine on 87, but then the power and fuel economy is down - enough so that I use the higher octane stuff.
    The Sonata Turbo will probably return better economy on premium, and if that offsets the added per gallon cost, then the added power becomes a bonus.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I'm with you man. I'm getting the one without the panaramic roof, just want a regular sunroof.
  • avondanavondan Member Posts: 8
    A beautiful machine! Had it on a revolving pedestal with the doors open. Couldn't get too close or sit in it, but it is a very sharp looking car. The gentleman that was working the show said they were just starting production and that it would be March before they were available here. Hope they sell a lot of them, I am interested in buying a used one year old one in 2013.
    From what i have seen on the web and a few YouTube posts, it looks great.

Did they refer to it at the show as a 2013 or 2012 model? I have seen it referenced both ways and my local dealer insists that it will be badged as a 2013.

He also stated that it should come in at about a 32,000 retail for the base model and around 37,000 for the premium with all the goodies.
  • avondanavondan Member Posts: 8
    It is in the 2012 Hyundai full liner brochure I picked up at the show. I thimk it will be a 2012. The prices are about the same I was told at the car show.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    They seem to have raised the price on the Azera significantly. I paid $27500 for my 07 Limited azera with everything in it. Now they want $5k more to start? Oyut of my price range.
    Thanks Avondan. One of the local Chicago dealers has it listed on their website as a 2012 as well.

Check out the gallery pics at darcyhyundai.com. It states coming Winter 2012...so i guess it should start showing up in late February or early March.
    They seem to have raised the price on the Azera significantly. I paid $27500 for my 07 Limited azera with everything in it. Now they want $5k more to start? Oyut of my price range.

I agree if that's true. The current (2011) model starts at $26k and maxes out at $33k. I can't imagine Hyundai raising the price that much on the 2012.

If it is that high, they must be setting up the new 2012 Kia Cadenza closer to the existing Azera's price points. The new Kia (Amanti replacement) will have a 4-cyl option and might be the better way to go.
    Got a brochure from Hyundai today in the mail on the '12 Azzy...Looks good,but pricing is high...it's in the Genesis range....I'll keep my '06 Azzy for a while longer.....Maybe new Kia is indeed the answer if it has the v-6 with plenty of horses (290 or more).
    Wonder why they would price it in the same ball park as Genesis? Seems self defeating on the surface, particularly since their sales records for the Azera have been extremely weak.
    #2 worstselling vehicle in America in 2011......1,520 units sold....Acura model was #1
    Interesting. If they market a fully loaded front wheel drive Azzy Limited with all the new goodies at the price of a base rear wheel drive Genesis it should appeal to people like myself who live in the northern climates.

I really like the Genesis but prefer the front wheel drive ability of my Azera in the snow.
    Agree totally, Hyundai needs to do just that. If they don't, the Azera will continue to languish at the bottom of the sales charts.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I wonder if sales target goals are publicly available. Received a pamphlet in the mail the other day and have been searching for as much info as possible about this car. I'm excited about it but won't be able to afford it new at those prices. Will have to hope that depreciation is the same as with the current model if I want to own it anytime soon. However, I imagine that resale values will be close to that of their recent Sonata and Elantra offerings. Perhaps there will be great lease deals!
    edited January 2012
    I agree the 2012 Azera will have a stronger resale value than the current model. Sounds like it's moving up a notch price wise, into the low $30k range to start.

The new Kia Cadenza will likely be positioned beneath the new Azera in price and fall into a mid-$20k to low-$30k range while offering full-size room and a 4-cyl base engine. Here's a couple preliminary images of the new full-size Kia.

I think Hyundai should've had a commercial ad for the new Azera during the Super Bowl. What do you think?
    Noticed that the Azera is missing this morning from the Hyundai USA web site list of vehicles.
    The old model is gone, but the new one is there under future vehicles with a spring arrival listed

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/future-cars/index.aspx
    I agree. What a captive audience and a missed opportunity to run a teaser ad (look for it to arrive soon at your local dealer).

My dealer says that they are due in any day but haven't seen one as of yet. I certainly hope that they market it properly this time as they have been spending quite a bit on TV advertising on the Sonata as of late.
    Beautiful. I especially like the side crease and lower side chrome.
    2011 Azera was the 2nd worst selling vechicle in the US last year....an Acura model was the worst......Hyundai just doesn't advertise this model locally or nationally...they're pushing the Genesis and Equus...
    .....$32,875. Autoblog reports the only option is a tech package for $4k. Read more here:

2012 Azera

Leaves a big gap in the Hyundai line-up between the Azera and the Sonata that bases at $20,570. This could be great news for Kia though. Kia's new full-size sedan is rumored to start with a 4-cyl engine and should under-cut the Azera's price by several grand. ;)
    Here's right from the horse's mouth...

Highlights

Pricing
    Ridiculous--have to go up to $36,000 for a sunroof equipped Azera. Wait for the discounting to begin.
    Looks as if they have deleted rain sensing wipers, unless I missed it.
    Kia looking better all the time......
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    A quick check of the details leaves me disappointed. I thought the new Azera was supposed to compete well with the Lexus ES. Perhaps I'll feel better after driving one.

No rain sensing wipers listed. These should be standard. They are standard on the Lexus..

Manual tilt/telescoping steering wheel on base model. The powered version should be standard. Powered is standard on the Lexus.

No sunroof on base model. At least a regular sunroof should be standard. Regular sunroof is standard on the Lexus.

The driver’s seat cushion extension should also be standard, given the past complaints about other Hyundai model seats.

Note that the memory system available on the tech package is standard on the Lexus.

Hyundai base price is $32,000. Lexus base price is $36,725. I’d like to see a side-by-side comparison of features on the base models. I know that Lexus rises in price dramatically with options but the base model may actually be equally equipped as the Azera base. For $4,725 more, I think I’d go with the Lexus, knowing that resale of these two particular models would likely result with a 3 year ownership cost about the same.

I know that the people at Hyundai are professionals and have a game plan in mind but the items noted above, given the starting price and given the poor sales of past Azera models, just doesn't make sense to me.

If anyone sits in one and in a Sonata, please post how you feel the leather quality compares. I would imagine that the Azera leather is much better and that is actually an additional factor that would push me to get this car over a higher level Sonata.
  • mozartmanmozartman Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2012
    Quote:
    "I thought the new Azera was supposed to compete well with the Lexus ES."

osaka75, sorry to spoil your feelings, but Azera doesn't compete with Lexus (ES).
    Azera competes with Avalon, Maxima, and Lacross.

Genesis competes with Lexus.

PS
    A Full Load Lexus ES has less features than a Full Load Azera....... but costs A LOT more
    I really like the look of the new Azera and can't wait to see it in person and drive. But with no sunroof for base model and only the panoramic sunroof available would cause me not to buy one. I personally don't like the panoramic sunroof, too much glass.
    ......really will be if you're in the market for a full-size sedan under $30K. ;)

Preliminary specs of the 2013 Kia show a 3500lb curb weight with the 200HP GDI engine and 6-sp auto. It might be priced right where the 2011 Azera was at $27k and up. :D
    Azera is EPA classed as a large car...only competitors in the price range in the US are the Impala and Avalon....Maxima, Lacross, 300 C, Malibu, Mercury, and Ford Fusion are mid-sized...Again Azera was the 2nd worst selling car in the US in cy 2011....The RX series from Lexus accounts for 50% of their sales..all of their cars are dated and expensive.....why spend $37K for a dressed up Camry pr Avalon???? Kia Optima is on the way up.
    Optima is mid-sized, but will still be something to look into.....