Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Azera

Comments

• hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    Drove the 2012 with tech pkg. yesterday and bought it............ I'll pick it up in a few hours
    I'll report more when I get more seat time. This is going to be a great car :=)
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Let us know how you like it. It should be a good car. If you don't mind saying, let us know how much you paid.

cars.com has quite a few listed with "dealer pics" which I enjoy viewing. Some are priced above MSRP, which is no surprise given the market variances and a new high-end model.
    edited March 2012
    I mostly post in http://www.hyundai-forums.com/188-azera-forum/
    You can find my posts their and what deal I got plus other info
    I post under XSOLARA name
    Sounds like you got a pretty good price. I would figure you got $2k-$3k off sticker based on top dollar trade-in value. Congrats on your new car! :)
  • riftgradriftgrad Member Posts: 1
    Love the new Azera and what Hyundai's been doing in the past couple of years. Can someone explain to me why a $33k near luxury sedan comes without a sunroof as standard equipment? Instead, I have to spend $4k on the tech pkg, which has a bunch of useless goodies (for me) to get a sunroof. Brilliant revenue-generator for Hyundai, but will likely cause me (and others) to look elsewhere for a new car.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    Never really use it and am glad I get Navigation, which I really want, without the sunroof. It's something no other manufacturer is doing. They are all pushing the sun roof on you which is a $1000 option. I would rather use the money elsewhere.

That bein said, I wonder how many "standard" Azeras dealers will order. My guess is not many.
  • ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292
    edited April 2012
    After reading Motor Trend's preliminary review of the 2012 Azera, I came away a little puzzled. Six years ago they also tested the 2006 Azera (the vehicle I currently own) and although the 2012 weighs less and has a significant increase in horsepower and torque over the 2006, it actually accelerates SLOWER than the 2006. Yes, it's slower both in 0-60 and quarter mile. How they accomplished that with a much more powerful engine and lower weight baffles me. I was expecting 0-60 to be right around the 6.0 second mark and quarter mile below 15 seconds, but no. The Azera is actually one of the slower cars in its class. I don't really understand that. Quite disappointing.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Didn't the transmission change? Also, testing conditions can have some affect but not a lot. Different tires too. And check the torque ratings. If you have the 3.8L engine in yours it may have more torque then this 3.3L which would really affect punch off the line. More HP alone doesn't tell the whole story.
    The only thing I can attribute the poorer performance to is the transmission. The torque is the same and the horsepower is 30 more on the 2012. Weight on the 2012 is slightly less. It SHOULD be faster, but it's not. The 2012 transmission is a 6 speed. My 2005 is only a 5 speed and, obviously, the gearing is slightly different. Maybe the transmission is set-up for efficiency and not performance. Maybe that's why the 2012 gets abut 2-3 MPG better than my 2006. Still, it's rather embarrassing that the Acura TL and the Lexus ES better the Azera by about 5 tenths at the quarter mile. The Azera has just slightly better performance than a Sonata. The 2012 Azera is actually a downgrade on acceleration performance versus my 2006. :(
    Still, it's rather embarrassing that the Acura TL and the Lexus ES better the Azera by about 5 tenths at the quarter mile.

What, are you out there drag racing TLs and ESes? I wouldn't bet the farm on one mags test. I've seen .5 sec differences on the 0-60(let alone the 1/4 mile) from different mags for the same exact car. I realize not a lot of rags are doing 0-60 tests on the Azera as it's not really pushed at the enthusiust crowd but I'm sure there will be a couple more to compare to soon.
    edited April 2012
    Car & Driver has it estimated at 6.2 seconds to 60, 14.7 in the 1/4 mile, and a 148mph top speed. That's plenty of power for 95% of the target market, even if it comes in a few tenths or mph off these numbers.

Here's the C&D First Drive results: 2012 Azera Test
    The Car and Driver review stated:

Despite the presence of 293 horses, each driver in our group declared, “Needs more power!” within minutes of getting behind the wheel.

I think I'm going to fall within that group.
    You might well be but I bet few other Azera customers will be. C&D testers regularly drive 400 to 500hp vehicles and are accustomed to blindingly fast acceleration. The target market here is different, with a few exceptions for those who want the fastest available luxury sedan. ;)
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I agree, no standard regular size sunroof will cause me to look at replacing my 2006 Sonata LX for a Genesis v6 just because of the sunroof. Don't like the panoramic sunroof, too much glass.
    Yes, I would bet that 99% of the buyers of the Azera won't care what it's 0-60 is as long as it feels powerful enough and I believe it will. However, I have to disagree with the term "luxury sedan". Hyundai Azera is not a luxury car any more than a Taurus, Avalon or Impala is. It offers a few bells and whistles for a little less but that hardly makes it a luxury sedan.
    Luxury is the eyes of the beholder :=) I have 6 days into driving my new Azera and to me it's luxury... Why ? I have gone over this car from top to bottom and this car is well engineered, panels are well put together and fit and finish is near perfect. With 400 miles on it I'm getting almost 30mpg on a new engine. As far as the glass roof at first I thought it was only OK but now I I really like it. Drive this car don't just look at pictures I think you will change your mind
    I don't know why people automatically assume that if a person doesn't have the exact same opinion of a car that they do that the person hasn't driven one or sat in one. I have and I agree it's a very nice car with lots of bells and whistles and a good value. Congrats on the new car and I hope you enjoy it. However, please don't try to pass an Azera off as a luxury car. The suspension and steering and the quality of the leather and switchgear, while nice, are just not up to the same standards as Lexus, Audi, Acura, Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, etc that are really considered luxury cars. There are a lot of cars that are put together very well in a lot of different brands but that doesn't make them luxury cars. The Azera competes with the Taurus, Avalon, Impala and Passat. While they are all nice and well engineered and panels are put together well and have good fit and finish, they are not luxury cars and are not marketed as such.

I'm in no way putting the Azera down as i think it is a great value, especially with when you consider that the base model comes with NAV and you don't have to pay for a sunroof which I've never been interested in. Good on Hyundai for that.
    I realize luxury sedan is a nebulous term. My Lacrosse is sometimes referred to as "near-luxury" and that might be a better description of the Azera.

Make no mistake though, the Lexus ES350 and Acura's TL are in the target market here. The RWD offerings from Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW are a different class.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2012
    My wife has a 2010 Lexus RX, and we just drove a new Azera last weekend. The leather in the Azera is much softer to the touch and more comfortable on first impression. The stitching on the seats and dash far exceeds anything in the RX. How it will hold up over time is unknown. Plusher carpeting, too.

Also, certain parts in the RX, such as the cruise control stalk and headliner material to name just two, are right from the Camry parts bin, and the carpeted mats are held in place with plastic tabs, not metal hooks as in the Azera, and come unhooked with ease - unintentionally. Not to mention the sun visor than fell into my wifes lap as she was driving (apparently some one at the Lexus factory failed to instal one of the screws that held it place). Point is, to make a blanket statement that everything in a Lexus must be more "luxurious" than Hyundai simply is not true. Drive them back to back and then you can make a better opinion. Oh, cost of the Lexus, $46k. Price of the Azera $33k. Perhaps a $70k Lexus LS doesn't skimp on "luxury" ala the RX, but one could buy two Azera's for that, and have change left over.

As for the Impala as a competitor - I had to laugh out loud when I read that! I recently drove a loaded 2011 with less than 3k miles, and such poor build quality that it hits you right in the face- splotchy-looking paint job, gaps in the dash, a rattle from the back seat, air leaks around the passenger A-pillar, abysmal Bose sound system, clumsy handling, and jittery ride. Pretty much consistent with just about every review of the it for the last 5 years. The new one at the NY auto show looks better, but if it's built in the same factory with the same attention to detail as the current one, Hyundai has nothing to worry about, and no informed person will seriously cross-shop these two cars after one test drive.

As for the sunroof, I think I've opened mine in the RX 3 times in two years. My wife never does. Probabaly wouldnt miss it.
    I guess we just disagree. If you want to think that a Hyundai is better and more luxurious than a Lexus that is certainly your perogative. But I still believe you get what you pay on the most part.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I agree that the Azera is not quite the same class as Lexus, Audi, Acura etc., but it looks to be a great value.

2 Years ago, I traded my 2003 Infiniti G35 for a 2011 Sonata Limited with Leather, Nav, etc. While it certainly lacks the refinement of the Infiniti, it actually is a nicer car in some respects, and had a great deal of bang for the buck.

When the YF Sonata was launched, there was a surprising amount of postings on multiple car forums by purchasers who had traded from true luxury brands. IMHO, a lot of this had to do with our economy; many of these buyers were stepping down due to $$$$. What I found interesting, is that many of these purchasers for the first time considered a Hyundai product.

I had owned several Hyundai's previously, but just for family members; never as my primary car. When I bought the Sonata, I made the decision after a very negative experience with my local Infiniti dealer. I was very close to purchasing a G37X, and then a M35X. The Infiniti dealer was intent on getting my trade for about $4K under its actual cash value. I decided that the Sonata, while "not an Infiniti", was very adequate for my needs, and IIRC, saved me about $17K. I have been very happy with the Sonata, and am amazed by the fuel economy.

The new Azera steps up the game. I will keep an eye on the Azera. I expect that it may well be in my consideration set the next time I trade, and I think Hyundai will continue to get sales growth from buyers who consider the total value compared to "Luxury" brands.
    Well put. The differences are getting smaller as the regular(for lack of a better word) step up their game with quality and refinement and the luxury brands stumble a little bit here and there. And I think you're right about the economy.
    Hyundai is a great value for what you get. If they would just improve their suspension/steering I would be right there. When I made my last car purchase it was down to the Sonata or a Mazda6. I chose the 6 because the Sonata was just to bouncy, noisy and loose in the suspension and steering. They need to hire some engineers from Mazda or Audi to work on that or just copy them. Kia hired the designer form Audi so it's not that far fetched. I know everybody complains when a manufacturer copies a body style element but who would complain about copying some really nice handling attributes?
    I took a quick test drive of the new 2012 Azera today. I was pretty impressed. The car was definitely quiet and smooth. Probably not quite in the ES350 league, but very nice. I also could not fault the steering. A bit crisper than my 2011 Sonata.

The leather interior was very nice. In fact, I would put it on par with my previous car, an Infiniti G35. I'd also say that the seats were a lot nicer than the last Acura TL I checked out.
    (I will give the TL a slight nod over my Sonata Leather though.)

I went over some pretty bumpy roads, and the Azera seemed pretty composed. I never actually had to floor it, but I did get a chance to merge on a highway ramp. Plenty of power.

The Azera will be on my short list when I'm in the market again.

Before I drove the Azera, I also drove a 2012 Camry. (Will get a $50 Gift Card due to a mail offer asking for test drives) The new Camry is much improved compared to the previous version. The car was slightly quieter and smoother than my Sonata, but the steering and road feel was not as good. Nice tech with Nav, XM, Bluetooth etc.. I also give them kudos for having the power passenger seat. The leather in the Camry is probably slightly softer than my Sonata, but not as nice as some previous Camry's I have inspected.
    All in all, I'd probably stick with the Sonata vs. the Camry, but I will give Toyota credit for the improvements.
    I'll agree that Hyundai's biggest opportunity is on NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) and suspension. The current Sonata comes with tires that sometimes seem smooth, and at other times pretty noisy. This varies dramatically depending on the road surface.

Next chance you get, check out the new Azera. Hyundai has definitely stepped up their game on this car. Not quite as tomb-like as a Lexus, but it definitely has better road feel than an ES.

It will be interesting to see how this car performs over the next year or so.
  • alanjg1alanjg1 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned Hondas and then Acuras since 1983. I currently own a 2009 Acura TL and am starting to look at a new car. I always thought that the TL gave bang for the buck and I am seriously considering the Azera since it appears to do the same. Years ago I would not even have considered a Hyundai but times have changed for this automaker. In this day and age of high gas prices, I am glad that I would not have to put Premium fuel in the Azera. It is definitely a beautiful car.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2012
    The Lacrosse appears to be a solid hit for Buick - never been in one but they are good-looking.

I've read very good reviews about it being a worthy ES-fighter, although I've never bought into the hype of the ES as a luxury car. It's a very nice Camry with better leather, more wood and chrome trim, and $15k extra in price for $5k worth of material (The upside is you can save money buying parts for both it and your Corolla at the Toyota dealer).

The Lacrosse is probably the only current GM car that realistically would be cross-shopped with the Azera.
    I did drive the Buick.. it's a nice car however I ended up buying the Azera.
    The Azera offered more feature for the dollar and IMHO out classed the Buick.
    I also liked the 10 year 100K drive train warranty and the 5 year 60K bumper to bumper warranty
  • akg4yakg4y Member Posts: 22
    I went to Hyundai to test drive a Sonata and Sonata Hybrid (as a comparison with the Kia Optima & Optima Hybrid) and ended up test driving an Azera with Tech package. I was so impressed that now Im debating whether or not I want to wait a few months for the Azera to ramp up production so Hyundai starts offering incentives and sells for 3-5k below MSRP as is typical for the Genesis and Sonata. Unfortunately right now with it being a brand new release and dealers having 1 maybe 2 of them on the lot essentially the best deal I have been given is $1k below MSRP plus $500 matching from motozuma which would put me around $35.5k before TTL. Im shooting for $32-33k but may just go with the Optima rather than wait 6-8 months for a deal that may not materialize. My bet is the Azera will be in short supply until next year.

I looked at the Buick Lacrosse and Toyota Avalon as well and Im not sure why anyone puts those in the same category other than size and price. The real competitors in my opinion are the Lexus ES350, Acura TL, Hyundai Genesis, and later this year the Kia Cadenza.

The Buick and the Toyota both feel cheaper inside with the plastic Buick uses for the dash and the faux wood trim being the main culprits. The Azera on the interior is at least one level above on interior materials and then throw in the little details like the ambient lighting and it really is no comparison.

My in-laws have a Genesis which is a nice car but has that standard soft and fluffy ride typical of Toyota and Lexus whereas to me the Azera was a nice fit somewhere between the sporty ride of an Acura TL and the "luxury sedan" ride of a Lexus. I tend to prefer the Acura type drive but the TL interior leather and just overall feel doesnt seem quite as 'tight' as the finish of the Azera inside.

Downside? I did feel like even though it has 293 HP it was slightly lacking in power. Pushing down on the pedal you get a steady acceleration it isnt quite as quick to shift to a lower gear and show you some power, unlike the Acuras and even the Lexus ES. Part of that is likely the size of the car since it is bigger.

I would be really interested to hear real world calculated MPG numbers on the Azera from any of you that have purchased. Hyundai and Kia both seem to have widely varied reports on real world MPG in their cars, and few people report actually hitting the EPA rated expectations so that is a concern. 20/29 isnt great and if that is closer to 20 real world with a 50/50 split local/highway then the Azera would probably be out for me, although so would all of the cars it "competes" with.
    I purchased my Azera w Tec pkg 3/30/12 and with 960 miles on it I'm averaging 28.7 mpg using gas purchased divided into miles driven. The computer reading was off by only 1 tenth.....I'm sure it will improve improve once I get more miles on it
    I traded a 2011 Sonata lim. on the Azera and I'm happy with the deal I got
  • mortmortmortmort Member Posts: 2
    I went to check this out today - the dealer in the BOS area had one parked next to the Equus. Very similar looks but a bit smaller. The one big disappointment that I had was that the car had NO MOONROOF - I think it's a big mistake not to have that feature on a $32000 vehicle. Evidently you have to get the Tech pkg for the panorama roof which I don't really care for. I still can't believe it.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    My sentiments exactly. It's the only reason why the 3.8 Genesis is at the top of my list for new car purchase. I've had my eye on the new Azera once I knew it was being redesigned, but the fact that it doesn't offer a regular sunroof really makes me mad at Hyundai. I'm not fan of the panoramic roof on any car, just give me the regular sized sunroof and I'm cool. And no, aftermarket sunroof will not cut it.
  • adriantc56adriantc56 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I just purchased the new azera with tech package and it is way better than my 2011 Turbo limited sonata that I traded in for it. Before the sonata I had the Genesis. I know I know why would you do that. I listened to my wife who knows little about cars. She said she liked the sporty looks of the sonata better than the mature looking genesis. Well I drove the sonata for a year and a half and you can really tell it isnt a Genesis. The Turbo sonata is faster than the first year v6 Genesis that had and gets way better gas mileage too but it just feels so thin and light compared to the Genesis. It just didn't have that solid feel like the genesis I just couldn't take it anymore I was missing my genesis so much I didn't like the sonata anymore. Then I saw the new azera and it was gorgeous. If the sonata and genesis had a baby it would be the azera. Perfect perfect in the looks department. It has the genesis luxury solid feel with the sonata looks. I call it the sonatagen lol. It drives better than both the genesis and the sonata. I love the soft comfortable creamy quiet ride. The Genesis I owned was too stuff but quiet though and the sonata was too loud on non smooth roads and just tinny sounds with lot of buzzes in the door panels. The azera takes any surface in strides and is quite too. The interior is absolutely beautiful too. Perfect Hyundai.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Just saw a minitest of the new Azera on Motorweek. Car looked great, and they were impressed with it saying it had moved a bit further up market and is closer to the Genesis.
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    Long story short:

Test drove the Azera this past Friday and got a quote on my Sonata trade-in. The car with tech package was awesome! However, I didn’t drive it home for a few reasons.

My salesperson was great but I felt like the sales manager was just playing games, especially over the value of my trade in, and mocked me a bit when I refused his offers. They wanted $37,2xx for the Azera with tech package. I guess that's fair for a new model with great reviews and I wasn't haggling their asking price. You can see what others report paying on this site and others so you can see why I wanted to make sure to get a fair price for my trade. I’ve only previously purchased 3 cars so I don’t know if this is usual behavior. I just haven’t experienced it in the past and actually had a great experience when purchasing my Sonata - from a different dealer. When I gave up on negotiations and tried to leave I experienced enough frustration because of his resistance to give the keys to my trade in back to me that in the end I ended up driving off using my valet key. Replacing the key and fob will cost $219 unless they get it back to me. They do have my phone number and address from the photocopy of my license. Maybe the key will show up in the mail.

I understand that dealerships feel they need to make a hard sell, even when they have a car that sells itself, but playing keep away with the key for my trade in is not acceptable, as it was my means of transportation if I didn’t end up purchasing a new car that day.

….. It’s Monday late afternoon now and the dealership has had enough time to give me a call. They haven’t. So I decided to call the sales manager and ask him to send me my key. He refused and said I’d have to come in to get it.

Is this something that should be reported to the Hyundai corporate office or should I just go back to the dealership or continue asking them to send me the key? :confuse:
  • nelson1nelson1 Member Posts: 41
    This past Sunday, I went by the Hyundai dealer to check out the new Azera. They had one, solid black, and it was unlocked, so I was able to climb in it and have a look. I could not drive it, of course, because most dealerships around here, in Richmond, TX, are closed on Sunday. It appeared to be much like my 2011 Sonata Limited on the interior. Slightly more roomy, and I like the fact that they have put a poser seat on the passenger side. I am considering trading my Sonata in on one. My Sonata is a good car, and I like it, except for the noise on some certain rough highways. Man, it's noisy. I am hoping that the Azera is much quieter. I am willing to sacrifice a little gas mileage for more quiet and smooth riding.
  • nelson1nelson1 Member Posts: 41
    That's really a terrible experience. I would be so furious, and they would have had to call the police, before I would leave without my keys. I would most certainly report them to corporate, and would look for another dealer. I would also call the local police and talk to them about it, too.
  • jamazerajamazera Member Posts: 149
    Very bad behavior on the dealer's part....This is really a disgusting sls mgr..I'd hit facebook and twitter...they should fire this guy.....good luck....
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I would have NOT left w/o my keys. I would have called police first. Now after the fact, I would go back to get my keys and after I got them I would tell them the following. 1. You will file formal complaint w/Hyundai USA, 2. Have posted negative post on Edmunds and 3. Will use all social media available to tell everyone of how awful the sales manager treated you.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you haven't already, you can review your dealership here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/dealer-reviews/

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thought I should follow up to be fair to the dealership. On Tuesday I wrote an email to the person who takes care of customer service for the auto group. She wrote back within 15 minutes and within another 15 minutes the dealership manager called to say he would send the key to me. On Wednesday I received it by UPS. Very good response once I got to the right person! Glad I didn't have to take this any further up the chain. :)
    My 07 Azera dropped a plastic shield so I had to go by the dealer for a replacement. They had a Red 2012 Azera in the Show room and it looked great, much better than the all black(boring) one next to it.The interior is getting close to my 2004 Audi A6 that I sold to but the 07 Azera.Both cars did not have the tech pak, which would be fine with me. When I asked the dealer if this was because they thought the fully loaded Azera would be hard to sell, they said no , that Hyundai sends them what the feel like and the Tech pak is hard to get.hmmmm. I could do without a sun roof. :shades:

Dissapointed to see that the seats seem smaller than my 07 and no electric steering wheel and no way to tilt.Why would they take things away and raise the price? :mad:

In two years when someone is coming off a lease I hope to buy one of these in the low 20K.Would like to see one in Dark Blue. anyome seen one? How would it compare with the Audi blue?
    The tech Package on the 2012 azera comes with those awful low profile tires. The BAse model does not. If you want a softer ride and don't want to feel every bump, go with the Base Car.
    Did you test drive this car ? I own the Azera with tech pkg. and it drives just fine with the low profile tires. The suspension handles these tires and I have not noticed any problems.
    I also had concerns when I saw how low profile the tires were. Before getting in, I compared them to the tires on the base model and thought that I could always ask if I could trade wheels/tires if I decided on the tech package. However, the ride was very nice and I did make sure to go over rough areas. I would suggest giving them a chance on a long test drive to see what you think before eliminating the tech package from consideration.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited May 2012
    I saw the Azera in the Boston area yesterday and I had a long conversation with the salesman. He said Hyundai will be building only 10,000 Azera's for 2012 model year. Not sure why such limited production but I can understand why.

The only unit they had was a base model in white with cashmere/cocoa interior. I tried very hard to like this car but it was just passion-less with the personality of a Mitt Romney. Perhaps it was the color (I don't like white) or the size (too big) or the ordinary dash and console. In short, I was underwhelmed and crossed the Azera off my short list.

The car really looks good in red, and I have never had a red car.
    sounds like the '12 is following in the footsteps of the '11 model....2nd worst selling car in the US after an Acura model....
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    Are you sure he wasn't pulling a con on you to buy the car? It is amazing some of the old tactics that the salesman are still trying to use. And people are still falling for them!
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    It hasn't been out long enough to achieve any ranking for sales yet!
    Just give it some time.....sls and marketing nightmare (failure).....too expensive and Genesis is more attractive package overall (power, interior, pricing, etc)