Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Hyundai Azera

Comments

• Here's right from the horse's mouth...

Highlights

Pricing
  • jkolehjkoleh Posts: 38
    Ridiculous--have to go up to $36,000 for a sunroof equipped Azera. Wait for the discounting to begin.
    Looks as if they have deleted rain sensing wipers, unless I missed it.
  • jamazerajamazera Posts: 149
    Kia looking better all the time......
  • A quick check of the details leaves me disappointed. I thought the new Azera was supposed to compete well with the Lexus ES. Perhaps I'll feel better after driving one.

No rain sensing wipers listed. These should be standard. They are standard on the Lexus..

Manual tilt/telescoping steering wheel on base model. The powered version should be standard. Powered is standard on the Lexus.

No sunroof on base model. At least a regular sunroof should be standard. Regular sunroof is standard on the Lexus.

The driver’s seat cushion extension should also be standard, given the past complaints about other Hyundai model seats.

Note that the memory system available on the tech package is standard on the Lexus.

Hyundai base price is $32,000. Lexus base price is $36,725. I’d like to see a side-by-side comparison of features on the base models. I know that Lexus rises in price dramatically with options but the base model may actually be equally equipped as the Azera base. For $4,725 more, I think I’d go with the Lexus, knowing that resale of these two particular models would likely result with a 3 year ownership cost about the same.

I know that the people at Hyundai are professionals and have a game plan in mind but the items noted above, given the starting price and given the poor sales of past Azera models, just doesn't make sense to me.

If anyone sits in one and in a Sonata, please post how you feel the leather quality compares. I would imagine that the Azera leather is much better and that is actually an additional factor that would push me to get this car over a higher level Sonata.
  • mozartmanmozartman Posts: 19
    edited February 2012
    Quote:
    "I thought the new Azera was supposed to compete well with the Lexus ES."

osaka75, sorry to spoil your feelings, but Azera doesn't compete with Lexus (ES).
    Azera competes with Avalon, Maxima, and Lacross.

Genesis competes with Lexus.

PS
    A Full Load Lexus ES has less features than a Full Load Azera....... but costs A LOT more
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I really like the look of the new Azera and can't wait to see it in person and drive. But with no sunroof for base model and only the panoramic sunroof available would cause me not to buy one. I personally don't like the panoramic sunroof, too much glass.
  • ......really will be if you're in the market for a full-size sedan under $30K. ;)

Preliminary specs of the 2013 Kia show a 3500lb curb weight with the 200HP GDI engine and 6-sp auto. It might be priced right where the 2011 Azera was at $27k and up. :D
    Azera is EPA classed as a large car...only competitors in the price range in the US are the Impala and Avalon....Maxima, Lacross, 300 C, Malibu, Mercury, and Ford Fusion are mid-sized...Again Azera was the 2nd worst selling car in the US in cy 2011....The RX series from Lexus accounts for 50% of their sales..all of their cars are dated and expensive.....why spend $37K for a dressed up Camry pr Avalon???? Kia Optima is on the way up.
    Optima is mid-sized, but will still be something to look into.....
  • It's the new full-size Kia coming this summer that I was referring to. The big Kia is a quasi-replacement for the Amanti. Read more here:

2013 Kia D-class
    Looks good ..... pricing @~$27k up to $30k......that's $6-7k less than the Azera.....
  • That's what I'm talking about. The big Kia could be a winner for U.S. Kia dealers. Might not make Hyundai dealers happy though! ;)

With a 2013 Kia Forte sedan and 5-door hatch on the horizon too? There will be 2 new models pulling U.S. consumers into Kia dealerships this summer.
    Took a brief test drive in the 2012 Kia Optima SX yesterday---seems a worthy competitor for the Azera--seemed to have as much pep as my 2007 Az. Nice riding and well equipped.

We'll see.
    check out the new Kia Cadence (large size) coming this spring??? Optima is a good competitor for the Sonata.....both mid-sized
    Both Azera and Avalon based Lexus are the same size, but worlds apart in price and goodies....base ES is just a dressed Camary and base Infinity is a dressed Maxima
  • Quote:
    "I thought the new Azera was supposed to compete well with the Lexus ES."

osaka75, sorry to spoil your feelings, but Azera doesn't compete with Lexus (ES).
    Azera competes with Avalon, Maxima, and Lacross.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/27/10489177-finally-hyundai-azera-- is-ready-for-prime-time

"Among front-wheel-drive mainstream brands it matches up against the Ford Taurus, Nissan Maxima and Toyota Avalon and in the near-luxury segment it contends with the Acura TL, Buick LaCrosse, and Lexus ES350. Judged in isolation, these are all impressive cars, and the rear-drive Chrysler 300 is another member of this otherwise front-drive group."

Based on the price points and equipment on the base models, I still believe that Azera is meant to compete with the ES350. And I think it will steal at least a few Lexus customers.

Anyway, great article! Look forward to many more positive reviews.
  • I finally had the opportunity to see the new 2012 Azera in person last week.

Hyundai had one of the larger display areas at the show and the Azera was well positioned and seemed to be drawing the majority of the over forty crowd, while the Veloster was the hit of the younger set.

The display model was the top of the line with all options and I especially liked the interior design and layout including the upgraded leather seating and other appointments as compared to my '07 Limited. The seats seemed comfortable with good overall visibility.

Not quite sure if I am a huge fan yet of the look of the panoramic sunroof and wind deflector and as others have already noted it seems strange that this option is only available with the $4000 Tech package, while navigation is standard equipment.

Overall I really liked the new exterior design with the exception of the fact that the front end is almost identical to the Sonata.

According the the Hyundai reps at the show, we can expect a major launch in April (pushed back from February). Let's hope that they do it right this time and not ignore it as they have in the past!
  • ...is available here: 2012 Azera on Autoblog

Good review for what I'm sure is a very good car. Came in at 3,600 pounds too, a bit lower than preliminary estimates.

One thing's is certain, if you buy one you won't be seeing your car at every stoplight. The $33k to $37k price will ensure that.

Now for the big new 2013 Kia sedan rumored to come in with the 200HP 2.4 GDI mill, 3,500 pounds at the curb, and $27k on the window. That one we might be seeing a lot of......