Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Hyundai Azera

Comments

• hjc1hjc1 Posts: 183
    Drove the 2012 with tech pkg. yesterday and bought it............ I'll pick it up in a few hours
    I'll report more when I get more seat time. This is going to be a great car :=)
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    Let us know how you like it. It should be a good car. If you don't mind saying, let us know how much you paid.

cars.com has quite a few listed with "dealer pics" which I enjoy viewing. Some are priced above MSRP, which is no surprise given the market variances and a new high-end model.
    edited March 2012
    I mostly post in http://www.hyundai-forums.com/188-azera-forum/
    You can find my posts their and what deal I got plus other info
    I post under XSOLARA name
    Sounds like you got a pretty good price. I would figure you got $2k-$3k off sticker based on top dollar trade-in value. Congrats on your new car! :)
  • riftgradriftgrad Posts: 1
    Love the new Azera and what Hyundai's been doing in the past couple of years. Can someone explain to me why a $33k near luxury sedan comes without a sunroof as standard equipment? Instead, I have to spend $4k on the tech pkg, which has a bunch of useless goodies (for me) to get a sunroof. Brilliant revenue-generator for Hyundai, but will likely cause me (and others) to look elsewhere for a new car.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Posts: 213
    Never really use it and am glad I get Navigation, which I really want, without the sunroof. It's something no other manufacturer is doing. They are all pushing the sun roof on you which is a $1000 option. I would rather use the money elsewhere.

That bein said, I wonder how many "standard" Azeras dealers will order. My guess is not many.
  • ricwhitericwhite Posts: 292
    edited April 2012
    After reading Motor Trend's preliminary review of the 2012 Azera, I came away a little puzzled. Six years ago they also tested the 2006 Azera (the vehicle I currently own) and although the 2012 weighs less and has a significant increase in horsepower and torque over the 2006, it actually accelerates SLOWER than the 2006. Yes, it's slower both in 0-60 and quarter mile. How they accomplished that with a much more powerful engine and lower weight baffles me. I was expecting 0-60 to be right around the 6.0 second mark and quarter mile below 15 seconds, but no. The Azera is actually one of the slower cars in its class. I don't really understand that. Quite disappointing.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    Didn't the transmission change? Also, testing conditions can have some affect but not a lot. Different tires too. And check the torque ratings. If you have the 3.8L engine in yours it may have more torque then this 3.3L which would really affect punch off the line. More HP alone doesn't tell the whole story.
    The only thing I can attribute the poorer performance to is the transmission. The torque is the same and the horsepower is 30 more on the 2012. Weight on the 2012 is slightly less. It SHOULD be faster, but it's not. The 2012 transmission is a 6 speed. My 2005 is only a 5 speed and, obviously, the gearing is slightly different. Maybe the transmission is set-up for efficiency and not performance. Maybe that's why the 2012 gets abut 2-3 MPG better than my 2006. Still, it's rather embarrassing that the Acura TL and the Lexus ES better the Azera by about 5 tenths at the quarter mile. The Azera has just slightly better performance than a Sonata. The 2012 Azera is actually a downgrade on acceleration performance versus my 2006. :(
    Still, it's rather embarrassing that the Acura TL and the Lexus ES better the Azera by about 5 tenths at the quarter mile.

What, are you out there drag racing TLs and ESes? I wouldn't bet the farm on one mags test. I've seen .5 sec differences on the 0-60(let alone the 1/4 mile) from different mags for the same exact car. I realize not a lot of rags are doing 0-60 tests on the Azera as it's not really pushed at the enthusiust crowd but I'm sure there will be a couple more to compare to soon.
    edited April 2012
    Car & Driver has it estimated at 6.2 seconds to 60, 14.7 in the 1/4 mile, and a 148mph top speed. That's plenty of power for 95% of the target market, even if it comes in a few tenths or mph off these numbers.

Here's the C&D First Drive results: 2012 Azera Test
    The Car and Driver review stated:

Despite the presence of 293 horses, each driver in our group declared, “Needs more power!” within minutes of getting behind the wheel.

I think I'm going to fall within that group.
    You might well be but I bet few other Azera customers will be. C&D testers regularly drive 400 to 500hp vehicles and are accustomed to blindingly fast acceleration. The target market here is different, with a few exceptions for those who want the fastest available luxury sedan. ;)
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I agree, no standard regular size sunroof will cause me to look at replacing my 2006 Sonata LX for a Genesis v6 just because of the sunroof. Don't like the panoramic sunroof, too much glass.
    Yes, I would bet that 99% of the buyers of the Azera won't care what it's 0-60 is as long as it feels powerful enough and I believe it will. However, I have to disagree with the term "luxury sedan". Hyundai Azera is not a luxury car any more than a Taurus, Avalon or Impala is. It offers a few bells and whistles for a little less but that hardly makes it a luxury sedan.
    Luxury is the eyes of the beholder :=) I have 6 days into driving my new Azera and to me it's luxury... Why ? I have gone over this car from top to bottom and this car is well engineered, panels are well put together and fit and finish is near perfect. With 400 miles on it I'm getting almost 30mpg on a new engine. As far as the glass roof at first I thought it was only OK but now I I really like it. Drive this car don't just look at pictures I think you will change your mind
    I don't know why people automatically assume that if a person doesn't have the exact same opinion of a car that they do that the person hasn't driven one or sat in one. I have and I agree it's a very nice car with lots of bells and whistles and a good value. Congrats on the new car and I hope you enjoy it. However, please don't try to pass an Azera off as a luxury car. The suspension and steering and the quality of the leather and switchgear, while nice, are just not up to the same standards as Lexus, Audi, Acura, Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, etc that are really considered luxury cars. There are a lot of cars that are put together very well in a lot of different brands but that doesn't make them luxury cars. The Azera competes with the Taurus, Avalon, Impala and Passat. While they are all nice and well engineered and panels are put together well and have good fit and finish, they are not luxury cars and are not marketed as such.

I'm in no way putting the Azera down as i think it is a great value, especially with when you consider that the base model comes with NAV and you don't have to pay for a sunroof which I've never been interested in. Good on Hyundai for that.
    I realize luxury sedan is a nebulous term. My Lacrosse is sometimes referred to as "near-luxury" and that might be a better description of the Azera.

Make no mistake though, the Lexus ES350 and Acura's TL are in the target market here. The RWD offerings from Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW are a different class.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Posts: 108
    edited April 2012
    My wife has a 2010 Lexus RX, and we just drove a new Azera last weekend. The leather in the Azera is much softer to the touch and more comfortable on first impression. The stitching on the seats and dash far exceeds anything in the RX. How it will hold up over time is unknown. Plusher carpeting, too.

Also, certain parts in the RX, such as the cruise control stalk and headliner material to name just two, are right from the Camry parts bin, and the carpeted mats are held in place with plastic tabs, not metal hooks as in the Azera, and come unhooked with ease - unintentionally. Not to mention the sun visor than fell into my wifes lap as she was driving (apparently some one at the Lexus factory failed to instal one of the screws that held it place). Point is, to make a blanket statement that everything in a Lexus must be more "luxurious" than Hyundai simply is not true. Drive them back to back and then you can make a better opinion. Oh, cost of the Lexus, $46k. Price of the Azera $33k. Perhaps a $70k Lexus LS doesn't skimp on "luxury" ala the RX, but one could buy two Azera's for that, and have change left over.

As for the Impala as a competitor - I had to laugh out loud when I read that! I recently drove a loaded 2011 with less than 3k miles, and such poor build quality that it hits you right in the face- splotchy-looking paint job, gaps in the dash, a rattle from the back seat, air leaks around the passenger A-pillar, abysmal Bose sound system, clumsy handling, and jittery ride. Pretty much consistent with just about every review of the it for the last 5 years. The new one at the NY auto show looks better, but if it's built in the same factory with the same attention to detail as the current one, Hyundai has nothing to worry about, and no informed person will seriously cross-shop these two cars after one test drive.

As for the sunroof, I think I've opened mine in the RX 3 times in two years. My wife never does. Probabaly wouldnt miss it.
    I guess we just disagree. If you want to think that a Hyundai is better and more luxurious than a Lexus that is certainly your perogative. But I still believe you get what you pay on the most part.