Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1998 Toyota Camry valve cover replacement

My mechanic recommends to replace the valve cover on my '98 6 cyl Camry due to leaking from the rear cover. I got a couple cost estimates which range from $550 - $625.

After doing some online research, I learned that some also advise to replace the Spark Plug Cover Seals at the same time. Please let me know if this is a good approach, since it was not mentioned when the initial recommendation was made to replace the valve cover only.

Comments

• Correction: I meant to say "valve cover gasket replacement" in my previous post.
  • mr_bubblemr_bubble Posts: 12
    edited February 2011
    Just wanted to close this thread on the replacement of my front and rear valve cover gaskets. I learned that the spark plug tube seals are generally replaced at the same time on the 4 cylinder engine. But on the 6 cylinder (my car), the configuration tends to protect the tube seals from gasket/oil problems, so they are not typically replaced on the 6 cylinder. Also note that the engine area around the valve covers should be cleaned well after the gaskets are replaced so any future leaks will be apparent.
  • Dear Mr. Bubble

About a year after my engine started to overheat, from a failing water pump, I noticed a oil leak. My mechanics did about $650 of work replacing bypass seals, gaskets, crank seals, oil pump seals, and a cam s seal. While they were at it the timing belt was replaced because it had to be removed for the work. Later the oil continued to drip. So I used a oil stop leak from the lube techs when they changed my oil, it worked for a year, then I had the toyota dealership do a tune up and they replaced a valve cover gasket, about $150. I think my car still leaks oil. Grrrrr!!! CBs or come backs, are what the mechanics would call it.
  • mr_bubblemr_bubble Posts: 12
    Luckydriver, what model year is your Camry? 4cyl or 6cyl? Mileage?