Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra's w 8100/Allison

Comments

• Hello All,
    Well I will have had the truck for a week as of tommorrow.I should get a job at the dealership, two of my friends are so impressed with the 8100 that they are going to trade in their 00 6.0s for the HD. I really have to watch myself or I'm going to get a ticket. It's hard to keep my foot out of it,and I'm not a kid either.
    My truck is a Silverado HD LS EXTCAB 4WD SB 8100/Allison/4.10, Pewter, Locking Differential, Skid Plate, Electric Shift, Trailering Package, Deep Tint Glass,& Marker lights.
    I have had a sliding rear window added. I installed the TracRac system overhead racks and a aluminum diamond plate deep toolbox. Yesterday I ordered new tires to replace those wimpy 245s, I have GY ATs 285-75-16s going on next week. They will be going on blackwall out. I will be using the stock wheels to avoid the rubbing problems that people have had due to different the backspacing on some of the aftermarket wheels. I ordered a set of Westin step bars (black, I'm going for that silver and black look) and a full set front,hump & back of the HuskyLiners this morning.I bought this truck to be a work truck, but I am going to hang onto my 93 Dodge 250 4x4 to use for jobsite cleanup etc.I would have a hard time throwing 2x4s and sheetrock out a second floor window into the back of that HD.
    I haven't kept track of my gas mileage, but so far it doesn't seem to be much worse than my old truck. After I get 1000 miles or so on it I will post my mileage.BTW regular is $2.09 per gallon here on the island.
    It's good to see that some people still hang out at this topic.
    Good Luck to all of you with your trucks.

Scott
    Marthas Vineyard,MA
  • Finally got a tpw of Feb. 19 for my 2500 'rado Lt, ex. cab, Lb,8.1/All. 3.73. It's been a long and frustrating wait,as many of you already know. It will be just in time for some spring time r.ving. Will post more if and when it gets here.[I'm still a skeptic, I'll believe it when I see it!]
    Tramper
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    there are soooo many F250s around. I guess people get tired of waiting after awhile.
  • As far as the delays and the waiting goes, you are correct, GM is Ford's greatest asset. But I still won't drive a Ford.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Agreed. Unfortunately for some....couldn't wait as they needed to use it for work.
  • Just returned from a 500 mile weekend trip. Gas mileage on the first two tanks was 11.9 and 13.4 with a 12.6 average. Outside air temperature was 30 degrees. At 70 miles per hour the tach only shows 2000 rpm. Truck ran great but sure wish it had a larger fuel tank.
  • Mine should be on the way. I could live with those numbers. Thanks for the info.
  • TRAMPER-You are getting exactly what I picked up on Feb. 1st. You are going to love it.

LOYALGMCGUY - I hope I do as well, I will be very happy. I only have 260 miles on mine, so don't know how it is checking out. Yes, I too wish it had a bigger tank.
    Cowboyjohn
  • GMC Cust service told me today my 2500HD, 8.1/Allison, 3.73 locker (Black Crew Cab SLT with light pewter leather) is in the end of assembly and due to be shipped wed 2-14.

I was about to give up but good things come to those who wait.

Dogman... tell me about your sliding window.. electric or manual? Got a web site address?
  • Is your truck a 2 or 4 wheel drive. I must admit that I am impressed but not surprised with the gas mileage.
  • sf0383sf0383 Posts: 204
    about the good things to those who wait. MIne was built 1/29, shipped that week and supposedly due at the dealer last Wednesday, then Friday, then Saturday, then yesterday. I was told that it had left the rail yard on a truck on Thursday evening. Best the dealer can do this morning is say they'll put another trace on it if it doesn't show up today.
  • Gulfguy,
    My rear window is a R H Laurence ( I think that's the name)Manual Sliding Deep Tint. The dealer had it installed for me before I even saw the truck.The day after I took delivery it rained hard, and I noticed some water inside the track the glass slides in. I was just about to start screaming when I noticed that the installers had not latched the window completely. I couldn't see any more coming in after that. It's going to rain again tommorrow so I check it out. It's been too cold to spray it with a hose until today.
    I am glad that I got the 8100/Allison/4.10 it really has alot of power and the mileage so far doesn't seem any worse than my Dodge 250. I'll do an accurate test after I get 1000 miles or so.
    Good luck with your truck I know your going to love it.

Scott Graupner
    Marthas Vineyard ,MA
  • My 8.1, 3.73, 4x4, Crew has the Allison tranny. While it shifts smoothly and runs fine, I noticed it seems to have a slight vibration in first gear. Not bad enough where I find it an irritant but it is there. I'm curious if any of the other Allison owners have noticed anything similar. Is this characteristic of these trannys much like the whine is?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    ...dealers were given a video on just that....clunks on start up/shift into drive and whines while cold especially are normal

it's a truck tranny for heavens sake!

- Tim
  • I haven't been around for awhile got tired of reading about you guys getting your trucks while I keep getting the same old (nothing yet) from the dealer.
    Good news I've finally got a build date Feb.19th and shipped on the 23rd. I ordered it on Dec.1st.
    That would be the 2500 ext.cab. Sierra w/8.1 allison and 3.73 trans.
    I have a Vehicle Order number is there any way to track it with that number, I noticed a few others asking the same question ?????
  • sf0383sf0383 Posts: 204
    that you are getiing it that quick. I ordered mine the last week of October and picked it up yesterday. 15 weeks. They entered the order on November 2. I got a TPW of 1/29 around the middle of January. Truck was built and shipped week of January 29. Dealer called yesterday and said he finally got it. I should say that mine is a Crew Cab with the 6.0 w/automatic ( I know, I'm trespassing here )so I don't know if that made a difference in the delivery time or not. You can call Chevy customer service at 800-222-1020 and they can track your vehicle with the order number up until the point that it ships. Then you can get the VIN from your dealer and may be able to track it at www.bnsf.com. I never could find my truck on that site but others have had success. Hope this helps. Good luck
  • gmcgtgmcgt Posts: 15
    Gents, any idea how I can learn when my UP will be built. The dealer cant give me any more info than "the order has been received by the factory but not yet accepted" that is the standard answer I get from the GMC customer service center also. I ordered my 3500, 8100, Ali, 4x4, ST Set. 21, the order was received 10/10/00. I have missed 3 hunting trips I had planned for the new PU, I am in jepordy of missing a fourth in April. Any help out there would be appreciated.

gmcgt
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Type up WHEELS.COM they show all mfr.hold up,
    deletions, etc..
    Im still waiting..8.1 ally, 4/4, 4 door 373 LS.BLk,
    hope this helps .....Geo
  • I just got a 2500HD 8.1L/Allison tarns./ 4.10 axle. It gets up and goes like you wouldn't believe. The cranny whines when cold and in 1st and 2nd gears but is fine in the upper gears. The dealer told me this was normal. It seems a little less noisy after a couple of hundred miles. How much better does this get with break-in? I also notice an extra click when shifting into park. Is this just a heavier duty park on the bigger truck?
    ....not supposed to be quiet

clunk when going in and out of park is supposed to be normal as well

- Tim
  • I feel a bit better now having seen how long you and others are having to wait. I appreciate the info on the tracking etc.
    I don't know if anyone has ordered the trailer type mirrors instead of the regular electric mirrors. I had ordered them but switched them back to the original ones after a friend got his and didn't like them for towing. He missed being able to see his trailer wheels when turning a corner. You could either adjust them for looking at the wheels or for looking at the other lane but not both. With slide on extension mirrors you can have one set up for the lane and the other for the wheels. It's not a bad set up once you get used to it.
    Would be interested in other opinions of others who tow.
  • A friend and I ordered 3 of the He's around Oct. 10th. We still haven't heard a build date. Two were 3500's and one 2500, all I/ 8.1 and Allison. I ordered the 3.73's and was wondering if it will significantly sacrifice power to add 285's to that combo ?? Any experience I/ 4.10's and 285's ?
    8.1 has enough power for 305's with 3:73's....

but I would go 4:10's...as it is what I have planned with an 8.1 CC Ali...

- Tim
  • Ordered my LT 8100/Allison Ex-Cab on Nov 22 and still don't have a built date. All dealer saids is to check next Friday. I hope to get it before the 02 start coming out as they will cost more. Happy trucking to those that have gotten their.
    Dave
  • 1i2cu1i2cu Posts: 32
    I ordered my GMC 2500 H/D SLT 8.1 w/Allison, 4.1,
    trailer towing package on 11/13/00.The dealer informed me a week later that the order was accepted and a built date was from the middle to late February. And delivery date to dealer would be the middle of March of this year. People have stated that they are getting, on the average, about 12 mpg. That's not bad. My 86 Sub. w/454, Doug Thorley headers and free flowing mufflers, get 7.3 mpg. Hauls asp. Neighbors love the rumble, when I start it up. Just a kid at heart.
  • bsilerbsiler Posts: 30
    My company has a 8100/Allison/4:10 with 3000 miles. Took delivery at the end of October. It's in the shop with no reverse. It started with not being in gear when down shifting between 2nd and 1st. The factory told the dealership to take the pan off and make a visual inspection, change the fluid and filter. Under no cricumtances do anything else. After they did this no reverse.
  • eric2001eric2001 Posts: 482
    Local dealership in NY just told me he has a window this week to order a crew-cab for me, and that it would be built in about 30 days. Is he yanking my chain? Is $500 over invoice a good deal? Has anyone seen the Dark Toreaudor Red up close? Anyways, I need to order one this week, as my 99 X-C 1500 was wrecked last week. Should I just wait and order this summer and get a 2002? I want the 8.1/3.73 combo, how long are the delays?
    you have 3.5 months until you can order a 2002.....I'd wait..

perhaps they will have 2-tone...auto-trac or a power slider or moonroof by then?

- Tim
  • 1i2cu1i2cu Posts: 32
    I was imformed today that the new production date is March 12. Should arrive at the dealer around the end of March. Hope it won't be here on April 1. Then the dealer could say APRIL FOOL !
    Test drove a 8.1 w/Allison, 4.1 rear end. Thought my 86 Sub. 454 w/Thorley headers was faster. Allison trans was very smooth and shifted quickly, just like a close ratio gear box in a Vet. Wonder how it will perform with our 30' travel trailer connected.
  • Ordered my 2500 SLE extended cab 8.1 w 3.73 just before christmas and it is due to arrive Feb 26th.It has been confirmed that it was built and shipped.My dealer told me he has orders GM has not accepted going back to October.They must be for the diesel. I was also told that there is a delay if you ordered leather. I changed my mind at the last minute and ordered the cloth. I quess I ordered the right combination at the right time.
    The HD's I see on the lots only have cloth seats. Two months ago they all had leather seats.
This discussion has been closed.