Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra's w 8100/Allison

n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
BAD NEWS FOR US WITH 8100 UNITS on order!!!!!!
***(or maybe its better they fix it before we get it)***

Several post have indicated January Production Dates for units with the 8100/Allison. Please keep us informed if that have happens.

Today received information direct from Pontiac Assembly Plant that no 8100's are building thru at least end of Feb. because Engine is BACK on CONSTRAINT (No info as to why yet). Nothing said about the Allison so assume Duri/Allisons ok--

OUCH!!!
75v

Comments

• sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    Why my order was pulled yesterday. I have a 2500HD CC with the 6.0 ordered. Are they all built at the same plant and is that the only plant that builds them? I noticed on whhels .com that the 8.1's were hard to get.
  • n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    -- I don't think the 6.0 has any production hold.

Pontiac is the only plant anywhere geared to product the 2500 HD's in all its versions/cc's, xc's etc.

Still waiting to hear back from the Planner Guy but the 8.1 according to him last November were ready to ramp up to 30% -- so something has happened. The person at Pont said can't 'build the trucks if they can't build the engines' what ever that was supposed to mean??

Sf0383 6.0's should be coming thru i would have thought,

but I have not seen any recent 8100 post -(since the first Sept. built dealer units were built And those ALL had a component problem that was rectified before each unit shiped-Those engines ALL went thru SPECIAL test before GM allowed each one to ship)-indicating customer orderd units actually being delivered. Anyone seeing recent deliveries for dealer inventory??

Hope all of you with 8100's and those that eventually will have will post here your performance, milage etc.

So far all post have indicated the 8100/Alli will be a V10 killer in pulling gas milage and performance etc.-- Everything we all want to know with this new Super 8100/Alli's combination as time goes on--

Thanks
    75v
    is the 2nd week of February or so I've been told. I would guess that means a build date of this week or next?
  • mth1mth1 Member Posts: 12
    Recieved my LT 2500HD crew cab 4X4 8100/allison on Dec 05. Ordered on Aug 02. Pictures at www.picturetrail.com/mth Mileage is around 10 to 10.5 mpg.
  • loyalgmcguyloyalgmcguy Member Posts: 64
    Ordered a GMC HD, CC, 6.0, short box, auto, SLT, the first week of August. Was advised by dealer in November due to a shortage of 6.0 engines I could not get a truck. Changed the oder to an 8.1/Allison. In December was advised no leather was available so I changed to an SLE. Order was accepted in December with a TPW of 1/1/01. Checked with dealer today and was advised it was shipped yesterday but can't seem to find it on the BNSF tracking site. I'm not sure if we can believe any of the information that is being offered. The only thing we know for sure is that the CC's are hard to come by.
  • ursusoursuso Member Posts: 1
    Locally they are receiving 2500 He's with short beds and 6.0. Also received a STANDARD CAB 2500 ID with Diesel/Allison. Drove it, and was NOT impressed. Made as much noise as any other diesel, and the transmission shifted like a bus! Which I guess shouldn't surprise me! NO delivery date locally here on 8.1's....
    Thanks for all this information. Keep it coming.
    Central IA also seeing HD xc SB with 6.0 but no new delivery 8.1s.

Dealer said late today that Pontiac assembly 50% of 8.1 production units going into one ton CC's so maybe still some hope that 2500's xc & cc will get some share of available 8.1's.

Hope these post keep showing delivery in Jan. into Feb. Keeping fingers crossed.

Have 'ado LT xc 4x4 SB on order Sept. 05.
    --mth1 Dec. 05 date might be some hope before march. With these long deliverys don't forget to push for $1000 loyalty certificate---

75v
    Date - Will watch for your post when you receive it.

75v
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    same truck I want....lemme know what kinda long term mileage you get dry commuting and how fast.

- Tim

...still deciding on color though
    what size wheels/tires ya got there?....any mods to get them to work?

- Tim
    dry?

what rear axle ratio...?

- Tim
    Nice looking ride you got there. I'm curious about wheels and tires too. I talked to a tire dealer yesterday about trading mine. He was saying 285's would fit but I'm not sure I believe him. I'm thinking more like 265 and maybe 275 because I don't want to have to trim anything to keep from rubbing.
    Keep us posted as to the delivery. What do you need to track the delivery and where do you get it? I have the order number will that do me any good. Where is it being delivered to? I am being told to expect 10 days from plant to middle Ga.
    If delivery will be by rail on Burlington, they have a web page using last digits of VIN #.

Delivery by truck transport don't know.

75v
    the 8.1 a $600 option MSRP?

I just priced one at the dealer and the 8.1 is now $850 MSRP on top of the 6.0

GRRRRR

- Tim
    I liked that wheel/tires/color combo so much I made it the featured truck for a bit:

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/

- Tim

Let us know about the size on the tires/wheels
  • dogman4x4dogman4x4 Member Posts: 16
    Hello All,
    Salesman just called me with the good news that my truck was built this week at Pontiac and was shipped yesterday. I live on the east coast so it will be 10 - 12 days before they get it to the dealership.The dealer will take a day to put in a sliding rear window, bedliner, Trac-Rac, and my free toolbox. If all goes as planned I should have it by the end of the month. The salesman gave me the VIN #, is there a site to track the shipping progress? It will be coming by rail.
    I still want to put a set of 285s on as soon as the truck arrives.From what I understand it will require trimming the air dam (belt sander?), raising the body by adjusting the torsion bars 4 complete turns,and reprogramming the computer with a Hypertech ($300.00). Where can I get the Hypertech unit? Any other information will be appreciated. If I can figure out how to do it I'll post a picture when I get the truck.
    BTW this vehicle was ordered on Oct 20th.
    Countin' 'em down, Scott
    and what all did you order on it. Gear Ratio also

Thanks
    75v
  • texaszachtexaszach Member Posts: 119
    Outstanding pictures of your truck. Several questions for you....

1) Looks like the color you have is Victory Red, correct?

2) I recognize the wheels as Weld Racing Outbacks, what width wheel did you go with?

3) What size tire do you go with?

4) Who did you buy from at Huffines? We do business with the Huffines family of dealerships and I am in the market for a 2500HD.

Many thanks!

Zach
    texaszach
    1. It is not Victory Red it is Sunset Orange
    2. The wheels are Weld Outbacks. They are 16x8 with 4.625 inch backspacing. Problem -- Due to the fact they are not hub centric The wheels gave my truck a slight vibiration. I have removed the Welds and put the Goodyear tires on the factory wheels. I have not found a 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern wheel that is hub centric. The center bore of the wheel will need to be 4.75. I am still looking.
    3. The tires are Goodyear ATS 285/75/16
    4. I have purchased many trucks from Ted Goldberg and he always does what he can for me. Good guy to deal with.
    I will try to take some more pics with the factory wheels and 285 tires
    I like the sunset orange and have seen it look many colors in different lights....

fooled me

- Tim
    Congrats on the new vehicle. I've posted several times whinning about the wait for delivery of my 8.1/Allison. I ordered in early August. My dealer advised me my truck was shipped on January 16th, and delivery should take 14 to 21 days to Montana. I have a VIN but can't find the truck at either the BNSF or UP tracing sites. (If you want the site addresses let me know.) I ordered white with 3.73 gears with no locking differential. I am hoping to improve on the 9.0 MPG test results the major magazines have posted. I avoided the locking differential because I feel they have a tendency to fishtail on icy roads and we have tough winters in Montana. I also ordered new white wheel flares from my dealer to replace the black. I'm hoping the truck is a midyear year model with white so I can save the $290 cost. What's the deal with the toolbox? I haven't heard anything about any free stuff with the truck.
    On your 1/17/01 post you suggested pushing for a $1,000 gmc loyalty certificate from GM because of the long waits. I have never heard of a loyalty cetrificate and have bought five new GMC trucks. Have I missed something along the way?
    Go back here and review trw3's post 864. Further discussion on topic New/Sierra etc post starting at 270-342 etc.

I think you have to push the distric rep hard ball style and 'build your own case' but GM does give them out. waiting to see also!!

75v
    I have taken the Welds off and put the factory wheels with the 285's on. Just thought people would like to see how it looks. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=mth I kind of like the factory wheels. Let me know what yall think.
    what the upper right area is on the radio - looks like some sort of display but not sure.

Also thought LT CC's were to have Climate Control - Did I miss that or could you zero in on those two areas to show more detail??

Thanks

75v
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    also drove an 8.1 allison. It was on display along with the Duramax and 6.0. I only drove the 8.1 and thought it had some power. The trans was VERY NOISEY. A lot of whines and other high pitched sounds. My son said it sounded like a Supercharger! The 8.1 had 4.10 gears and I was hoping for some funny car type burn outs. It did chirp the tires but really didn't light 'em up. I thought the trans shifted as smooth as other autos, I was expecting harsh shifts.
    The truck I drove had the lowest level interior, vinyl seats, no carpet. A higher level trim may have made the trans noise less intrusive.
    Hard to compare to my Super Duty because mine is a 4WD 5speed V10. I am interested in driving like compared trucks for a true evaluation.
    I like the poilished 2500 wheels also...but thought 285's were a little of a sqeeze for those wheels?

CC's do have climate control as an option....at least on LS/LT..

Allison Noises are normal...at least until warmed up.....Salesman even said they recieved a video about just that..and that it's a truck tranny and it's gonna make squeals and whines....I said they should put the video in every glove box..

- Tim
    Damn Todd....what did ya do?..change the wheels in teh lot and take pics the same day and not even move the truck?

LOL

I can see the climate control no problem.......

I thought the stock wheels would make 285's wear too funny....like too much of a curve on the tread?

285/75/16's?

- Tim
    I see from a post they are 285/75/16's....any trimming or lifting to make them work?

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Height would be no problem. The front and back of the wheel well is where the problem lies if not I would think 305's would be able to fit. The stock fender flares would have to be mutilated.

Nice truck!! Stock rims look good.

Can you imagine them with 235 or 245's?
    as a 2002 Sunset CC LT SB HD is what I am getting!

....if 285's wear fine on a 6.5 inch rim....I'll get 'em....if not....245's it is...

going from 245's to 265's is like going from 265's to 285's.....what's the point?

(Sorry Ryan)

- Tim

- Tim

....Front ain't too bad...it's the rear!
    on the rear was over 20". Ugh. Looks like a Dodge with the miniture tires.
    .....so the hood bulge got a little larger.....ain't no where near as ungly as a dodge!....heck....ain't even ugly at all!

- Tim
  • texaszachtexaszach Member Posts: 119
    You have to go with what will work and frankly, I am a huge fan of the factory wheels, the truck still looks awesome! I can't tell from the pics
    if the 285 sidewalls are bulging excessively on the stock rims. Are the bigger tires laying down a flat footprint?
  • dogman4x4dogman4x4 Member Posts: 16
    Hi All,
    Well after reading the Motor Trend article and looking at mth1's pictures of his truck the anticipation is killin' me. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas to finally get here. I checked the BNSF site with my VIN # but it came back "Not Found". The truck may be shipped on a different line out here to the east coast.
    The deal with the free toolbox was an offer that Chevrolet is making to commercial customers.
    I will be using my truck in my construction business so I was elegible. The saleman said that in order to qualify you have to have have some sort of trade license. I have a Commercial/Residential builders license so I was able to get it.Those diamond plate boxes only cost about $300 or so, but what the hey free is good.The real good news is that I will eventually be able to write off 80% of the cost of the truck as a business expense. My tax guy writes off a certain percentage every year for 3 or 4 years.
    mth1- Nice lookin' truck... I almost like the stock wheels better than the Welds.Did you have to adjust the torsion bars and trim the air dam to get them to fit without rubbing? What about reprogramming the speedometer and changing the shift points?Where did you get the Hypertech unit? I want to put 285s on as soon as I get my truck so any info would be appreciated. I ordered mine with the stainless wheels because I was planning to change them to aluminum asap, but after hearing about your vibration problem I may keep the wheels I get for a while until I can locate a set that don't cause problems. Let us know how those 285s work out on the stock wheels.
    The other day someone here asked what equipment/options I had ordered on my HD, so here it is...

2500 HD LS 4WD Ext Cab SB 8100/Allison/4.10
    Locking Differential,Electric Shift,Skid
    Plate,Trailering Package,Marker
    Lights,Deep Tint Glass,Pewter Metallic

The dealer will install a sliding rear window, under-rail bedliner, TracRacs,and the toolbox.I ordered this truck on October 20 and the salesman swears that it was built last week and is on it way right now.I should have it in less than 2 weeks... I can only hope that he's right.

Scott
    FYI-
    Hypertech hasn't come out with a reprogrammer for the '01 HD as of yet. Not sure when it will happen as they are working on one for the '01 1500. Apparently, they need to get their hands on one to do the testing. If their luck is anything like I've read on these boards, a reprogrammer for the new HD's are way down the road.
    Dogman,
    According to my dealer, my 8.1 was shipped on 1/17/01. I have the VIN and have tried the BNSF and Union Pacific sites and keep coming up with a "not found" message. Hope both of ours are actually on the way.
    Thanks for referring me to the posts regarding the loyalty certificates. I don't access this site every day and often miss important posts. I plan to fire off a letter to the regional GM rep. Even if I don't get a certificate, I'll feel better about venting. My truck ordering experience with my last two GMC's has been less than timely. In October 96, I ordered a new 3 door Z71 and, due to a GM strike, ended up taking delivery in June, 1997 - almost 8 months. I wasn't upset, I just figured there wasn't much GM could due. I ordered the HD in early August, changed equipment twice to accommodate rumored GM part shortages before the order was accepted, and am now hoping for delivery in early February - about 6 months. My 90 Z71 took three months while my 88 Ford XC, shortbox (first year made) took six weeks. If the trend toward longer and longer waits holds into the future, if I want a new 2003 maybe I should order now. I wouldn't be so cynical if GM would release a little more information so their customers could better plan their purchases.
  • seweratsewerat Member Posts: 2
    loyalgmcguy you posted earlier you had the web sites to track a vehical with, could you post them for me, my truck is supposed to be built this week and I want to be able to follow it from there
    Did the snow storm this week end give you any problems??

What's latest on your 8100 build date??

75v
    Sewer,
    Try www.bnsf.com and click on tracking tools. I've tired several times and can't find mine. Union Pacific has a similar site. I can't find my truck on either. Good luck. Please let me know if you find yours.
  • seweratsewerat Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info gmc guy, I was just informed by chevy my build date has been pushed up to the 29th from the 22nd, oh well.
  • bigred17bigred17 Member Posts: 12
    In Dec I ordered the HD 8.1L with a 3.73 rear end and was just notified it will be built starting Feb 5. I noticed that some of the vortex 6000 engines are getting around 12 on the highway which surprises me. I have a 95 suburban 454 with a 3.73 and I get between 10 and 11 in town( real city driving- stop and go) and 15 to 16.2 on the highway as long as I stay at around 60.I have 59,000 on it and still get the same mileage. I see where some of you want to increase the tire size from the standard 245 and I am told you can expect to lose 1 to 2 miles per gallon.

I bought the vehicle to tow a fifth wheel and now am looking to hear from people with the same engine and rear end and would like to know what kind of mileage they are getting. I know it doesn't make any difference now as I already ordered it but would like to know anyway. The only article I read on the vehicle that dealt with mileage was in trailer life but it was 4 wheel drive and had a 4.10 rear end.
    My 2000 2500 Ex.Cab has 28,000 miles and I drive avg. 75 on highway and 50 in the city....I drive very agressive....take off fast...and brake hard...I have the 6.0 with 4:10's and always get 12.5-12.8 MPG.....is this a fluke?

If I went to 285's....I'd be turning less RPM's on the highway....should compute into better MPG....yeah it takes more to get going.....

- Tim

...I'll be getting an HD 8.1 with the 4:10's as well..
    Sewie,
    I recall you mentioning that your truck will be built on the 29th. My HD was built on 1/16/01 but was not shipped until 1/24/01. Finally found it on the BNSF tracking site. Truck is in Illinois headed to Montana. I'll post arrival times and gas mileage when received.
    My dealer said he charged $102.00 to recalibrate the speedo, adjust shift points and alter my ABS system. I have not had it done yet. I did turn the torsion bars up and got about 1.5 inches. This week I will take the truck in and have it all done at the same time. I would wait for the Hyper tech but it will not correct part throttle shift points. It can only change WOT shift points. The tires seem to fit good. They do not bulge as much as I thought they would. In case everyone has not seen, pics at www.picturetrail.com/mth
  • falknorfalknor Member Posts: 27
    I should wish that I could get my truck as fast as you are. I ordered my LT 2500 HD Ex Cab with 8.1/Allison tram, 3.73, locking differential 8' box, custom leather reclining Bucket seats, trailering package, fog lamps, camper type retractable mirrors, camper & fifth wheel wiring, recovery hooks,Lt Pewter no roof lights on Nov 22 and still no built date. Maybe tomorrow. I just have to wait on GM to get around to me I guess. Happy motoring to you Dave
    Order iniciated with Dealer Sept. 05th.

'ado LT 4x4 XC SB 8100/Alli/3.73 w/all but couple of the available options.

Hard to read about 8100/alli orders iniciated in Dec having early Feb. build dates. What worries me is not knowing if the lack of dealer allocation thing is going to delay this out Six to Ten months. MY drop dead date is late july to pull 5th wheel to Oshkosh. Grandson depending on ME for that.
    Oh well, If it weren't for reading these post it would be no fun at all. :-) Hanging in their i guess.

75v
This discussion has been closed.