Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How's the weather?

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
At this time a majority of the US is gripped in a major storm, share your weather stories here!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Santa Cruz, CA -- 63-65 today, lows in the 40s. 70 degrees predicted for the weekend. It has been eerily sunny, warm and dry here most of January. Our major concern in this area is mud slides created by heavy rains, but nothing like that so far. I'm even seeing wildflowers already blooming. Very strange.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Too funny, Shifty. I'll bet there are a few folks in the midwest and the east who would like to trade places with you.

Up here in western WA, we've had sun the last several days but not quite as warm as you.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well in western WA even having the sun is a blessing this time of year.

Yeah, the midwesterners can be rightly jealous of us, but we do contend with earthquakes. I can actually bicycle from my house to the exact epicenter of the 1989 quake in the San Francisco Bay Area. Santa Cruz was roughed up pretty badly but my house is on bedrock fortunately. :shades:

Well, off to the beach---ta-ta :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2011
    6,000 flights canceled yesterday? One was ours.

Our mid-morning flight got canceled at 11pm Monday, but not due to weather. Too few bookings. I was online when the email came in. After 45 minutes on hold, a great agent with American got us rebooked on a couple of earlier flights and we got to NYC in plenty of time for dinner and a play.

The Weather Channel went a bit overboard with all the impending disaster stories.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Depends on where you live and how they're equipped to deal with snow. Here in the midwest, they're not so good at it. They shut down all of interstate 70 across the state because they couldn't keep up with the plowing, and people don't generally have the vehicles or driving skills to cope with poorly-plowed roads.

Right now, our only issue is the driveway. I removed a 3-foot high drift in front of the garage earlier, and got halfway down. My stronger half is out there finishing the job (I hope).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    My stepson is going to school at the U of Oklahoma and they will be missing classes for the third day in a row tomorrow due to snow and ice.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    We didn't get much snow this time but ice was the problem here in Klumbus. Knocked out power to nearly 60k AEP customers in Franklin county and about half of those got power restored by late afternoon.

Yesterday we had an icy preview of things to come before this one hit. I walked (skated a bit) across the street to check on a neighbor but she was fine. (Couple of years ago she slipped on a patch of ice on her patio and broke her wrist.) While I was talking with her yesterday, one of her sons showed up and immediately began scraping off her car windows. When she called out to tell him not to bother he answered, "I'm just working on the first layer---tomorrow morning we're supposed to get the worst of it!"

He was right. Overnight it warmed up to 35 degrees, rained a bit and turned to freezing rain, ice, what a mess. Around 6AM I opened up my back door for my cat just to convince her that she needed to stay inside. I saw a few flashes of "blue lightning" which is electricity arcing from power lines and transformers. Really lights up the sky. Scared the cat too.

Winter weather is one of the things that always sends people out to the neighbors to ask if anyone needs something from the store, or needs help getting a car cleaned off, etc. Dangerous stuff though if you take a fall or get caught out on the road in it.

Anyone digging out in the Chicago area? I've watched some of the weather channel coverage and it looked nasty.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    The entire pacific northwest is crisp and partly sunny today. What's winter? :shades:
    17 degrees warmer in Seattle this morning than Phoenix. It was 50F at 0530, while it was snowing across much of Texas. Mother nature is on crack.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Indeed.

I support a site in Houston(remote), and I can't get a vendor into the location due to snow.

Here in the Eugene area, it's clear skies...
    The only real winter weather this area had was a month before the actual start of winter.

Only about a month left before the chances of a snow event pretty much evaporate...
This discussion has been closed.