Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza Tires

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Tirerack indicates that there are only two 245/50-20 specialty winter tires available and both are in the $240 price range. Whereas if you downsize the wheel to fit a 225/70-16 tire then there are 4 available ranging from $75 to $135.

The even more interesting point is that should I wish to shod the V6 Venza with nice and quiet, comfortably riding, summer use only tires then according to Tirerack those do not exist AT ALL.

So if you want a nice and quiet, comfortably riding Venza, you might need to go all the way down to a 17" wheel.

Strange.
    Given that the heigth of the Venza is so much lower than the HL & RX I wouldn't think using tire size, OUTSIZED tire size, to overcome the propensity for rollover would be high on the priority list, certainly not high enough to justify this level of wheel/tire OUTSIZING.

I will not be considering the purchase of a Venza until I see the I4 adopt DFI, with the appropriate displacement downsizing and a CVT, or an HSD version, whichever comes first.

But should I purchase a Venza the wheels would immediately get downsized to say, 17X8, and shod with the quietest and most comfortably riding tires I can purchase.

No "boy-racer" mentality "here".
  • berriberri Posts: 4,189
    "Why produce an AWD crossover that cannot easily be fitted with winter tires that don't cost a fortune?"

Probably because Toyota has been so successful in the US that they are beginning to become too internally focused forgetting about the customer, just like GM did.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    Probably because Toyota has been so successful in the US that they are beginning to become too internally focused forgetting about the customer, just like GM did.

I hope Toyota avoids GMs mistake in trying to please everyone in every situation.

If you look at a lot of GM models, they offer 4 or 5 different wheel/tire choices. Just think of how many combinations there are, combined with multiple trim levels and other options.

Toyota went out on a limb with the standard 20-inch tire on a relatively low-volume vehicle. Not everyone is going to be happy. Moving on.
  • For those who are considering to replace their tires and wheels, check this out
    http://www.tuningnews.net/photo_preview/081021a/22/toyota-venza-sportlux/
  • halwickhalwick Posts: 45
    Sasha,
    I hope you're passing along the negative feedback on the oversize 20" and lack of tire availability on the 19" tires as well. My tire dealer informs me there are only two brands on the market in the P245/55R19: Bridgestone and Toyo. And those tires are over $200 or more each! Why did the engineers pick those particular size rather than the more available 16", 17", or 18"?

Other comments: The 20" wheel rims look disproportionate large to the vehicle and personally I don't care for the "gangsta" style look. The 19" rims are somewhat better, but still disportionately large. Combined with the low profile 55 tires reminds me of the early 1920s-vintage automobile spoke wheels and tires.

Halwick
    "..Why did the engineers pick.."

Toyota's southern California engineering and styling design center, still the land of "fruits and NUTS".

And no disparagement of the gay community intended or implied.
  • verndogverndog Posts: 6
    I too like the 20" wheels. Just took delivery of the car today, and part of what attracted me to the car was the stance and look to the V6 model with 20's. I didn't really care for the large wheels in most applications prior to seeing this car either. I'm a 50 sumthin Crager / 69 Mach 1 owner and love the classic 15" wheels by nature.

My only gripe at this point...the amount of lead they had to use to balance the Eagle Tires on the car!! WOW...there must be a row of 10 leads on the worst tire (inside of wheel-- stick on weights)...that my friends is a sign of crappy tires, as I doubt the wheels are that far out. I'm pretty picky though...suppose I'll quit staring at that gob of weights some day.

Also...ride is very good IMO and on par to better then the 05 Accord I traded in with less road noise and nicer seat feel...BUT it was harsh at first so I checked the pressure, and the Dealer had 45 lbs in my 20" bricks! Dropped them to 34 and huge difference. Check your tire pressure if you have a harsh ride.
    Personally I would not accept delivery absent the dealer correcting a matter this serious.
  • verndogverndog Posts: 6
    Ya, except I didn't spot this issue until I got home. The problem is exagerated since the lead is concealed on the inner wheel where it can be "hidden"...except the fact there is no hiding since the spoke design opens the inner wheel to sight. I will see what can be done about it, the most on any other wheel is 4 (4 gram) leads. The car rides fine so it could be a double edge sword if I have them start messing with it. Prob. is there from an out or round tire knowing the issues I hear with many Goodyear tires.
    If the dealer isn't willing to swap out the tire I would contact Goodyear.

Or maybe contact Goodyear to get a cooperative adjustment.
  • ToyotaUSA1,

Don't go to 19" wheels and tires on the Venza, go to 18".

The selection of available tires is much better in 18" than in 19" or 20". We just bought a new Venza and had to buy expensive aftermarket 18" wheels in order to find a decent selection of tires for the Venza. We needed tires that will handle better in the snow in northern NH than the stock tires that come with the car.
  • toyovenzatoyovenza Posts: 1
    TOYO OPEN COUNTRY H/T P-MET
    P245/55R19 OPEN CNTRY H/T 103S BLK

http://www.treadepot.com/tire/362850

Does someone know & have tested already?
  • Just bought a V6 Venza last week and the 20"" wheels are fine. The car handles very well at all speeds and the large wheels help it handle bumps and RR tracks in a very sure-footed way -- excellent!
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Posts: 726
    We have completely written off the Venza as an option in the future because of the tires. I do not feel like hurting my back trying to change the tire!!!

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/crossover/163_0906_2009_ford_edge_2009_nissa- n_murano_2009_toyota_venza_comparison/venza_four_cylinder_and_unsprung_weight.ht- ml

Toyota needs to take the bozo that approved the tires and make them change all four wheels on about 1,000 Venzas as a penalty. :mad: And, the person should do about half in the rain on the side of a real interstate. The other 500 tire changes should be done here in North Dakota in January in the snow when the wind chills are 40 below.

Does the tire/wheel combo look good...No!
    Does it improve fuel economy...No!
    Does it improve handling or unsprung weight...No!
    Is this an example of Toyota losing focus...Yes! :lemon:

When it comes time to replace our Highlander we will be looking at the Outback/Forester . :P
    I think this is a prime example of marketing types focusing on youth trends, when in fact its people in their 40's and up that can afford to actually purchase many of the vehicles in this price range. Personally, I'm not interested in ghetto banger wheels that have expensive, hard to find tires. Hopefully, the management shake up at Toyota will correct this and make a more normal tire and wheel available on Venza and Highlander in addition to these large wheels. Why not cater to both size preferences?
  • robfilerobfile Posts: 9
    I must say that I'm one of those 40 something's that actually like the 20" wheels on the Venza.

They make the car look sporty and compared to my old crossover with smaller rims/tires the Venza rides much better.

Tires will go down in price and have better availability as time goes on. Initially this was a concern prior to purchase but I've seen these 20" tires as low as $90.00 and as high as $200.00 for the best quality which is in line to what I paid for tires on my mini-van.

If changing tires on the road has you concerned just consider the money saved in gas when comparing the Murano or Edge and apply that to a AAA roadside assistance plan.
    " apply that to a AAA roadside assistance plan. "

We tried AAA, then they left us stranded one night when it was -17 degrees out. The earliest they would get us a tow truck was 2 hours. The policeman was able to get us a tow truck in 15 minutes. When I asked the tow truck driver what the deal was he said AAA doesn't want to pay decent rates after 6:30 PM. So no more AAA.....

The policeman was great. While sitting in his car waiting for the tow truck he commented that the call just before mine was an attempted suicide. He ended up just grabbing the gun out of the person's hand. What a job they have....
  • md_outbackmd_outback Posts: 185
    robfile,
    I'm in agreement with you. I'm a grandfather and I like the look of the 20" wheels on my Venza. I also noticed that the TireRack has new Blizzaks priced in the $160 range, so the price of Venza-size tires is not unreasonable.

For avalon02wh, I'm not sure I agree with your arguments against the 20" wheels. I think they look good, they probably do handle better than smaller tires, and as far as the weight: when changing a tire in 40 below wind chill, does a 57 lb wheel go on any easier than a 67 lb wheel? In weather like that, I'd probably call AAA to change the tire on my granddaughter's tricycle. Wheel/tire combinations always involve compromises. While larger wheels add to unsprung weight, they also help achieve higher ground clearance without using the suspension components or taller tires to do this. This could lead to a lower center of gravity and better handling. Times and technology also change. Twenty-five years ago, folks said that 15 or 16 inch wheels and 60 series profile tires were only for exotic sports cars. Today that is a standard size on basic everyday sedans.
    To each his own, as they say. But I think if you eliminate the Venza from your list of potential new vehicles just because of wheel/tire size, you are eliminating one of the best overall vehicles in terms of style, utility, performance and value. Good luck in your search.

MD
    This isn't an one or the other proposition. I'm simply saying that Toyota should offer the big wheels for those who want them, but also a more conventional tire for those who do not. Big wheels may look good, but the lesser amount of rubber usually means a firmer ride and less traction in bad weather. The consumer should be given a choice.

As for expanded tire availability - maybe. There was a time when everyone followed GM, but today no one is dominant. Automobile competitors may choose not to offer these unique tire sizes. Less volume means less tire product will be available and prices on what is offered will remain relatively high. When an owner starts griping about what his tire replacement cost in the office, people may start to associate expensive upkeep with the Toyota brand. That can be a competive advantage to other makes.

The Venza is a nice car, but there are lots of good cars out there today. I own a Camry and like it, but I bought it because it didn't have a cost premium to similar products, otherwise I would have probably gone elsewhere. In the next few years the competition will only get stronger. If the Venza niche gains popularity, there will be plenty of products to choose from in a few years with similar quality. Toyota makes good vehicles, but it no longer rules "quality" and can no longer get huge price premiums or take actions that disregard the consumer. That is how GM got into its current pickle.
    "For avalon02wh, I'm not sure I agree with your arguments against the 20" wheels."

I was being a little sarcastic about the looks of the tire. It is definitely a subjective issue.

"... they probably do handle better than smaller tires,"

Do you mean handle as in race handling or comfort? Thinking back to my race days, unsprung weight was always something you tried to avoid. And let me go out on a limb here and suggest that there are many cars with smaller tire/wheel combos that handle better.

" and as far as the weight: when changing a tire in 40 below wind chill, does a 57 lb wheel go on any easier than a 67 lb wheel? "

Yes, it actually does.

As I get older the tires should be getting smaller. ;) I realize we won't be going back to the 12 inchers I had on my Corolla, but I draw the line at the monster tires, 18" and up, that are coming out now.

And, as others have mentioned, why should I pay for something I do not want?

"Suspension tuning can't compensate for tires that are too large for a vehicle of this type....Occupants feel most road imperfections, and sharp bumps register with undue harshness. "
    http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2009-toyota-venza-1.htm

This is only one review, but I have seen others like it. I won't be testing one because of the tires. There are too many other vehicles that I would rather test. But, like you said, to each his own.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Posts: 185
    avalon02wh,

"Do you mean handle as in race handling or comfort? Thinking back to my race days, unsprung weight was always something you tried to avoid. And let me go out on a limb here and suggest that there are many cars with smaller tire/wheel combos that handle better."

Actually what I meant was that a Venza with 245/50-20 tires probably handles curves a little better than a Venza with 215/70-17 tires (both tires have nearly the same rolling diameter - and you like 17" and smaller wheels). The wider tread width of the 20-inchers would make up for the few extra pounds of unsprung weight compared with a smaller wheel/tire combo. But there are a lot of variables and certainly a 70 series tire will probably be more comfortable than the 50 series. And of course there are better handling cars with smaller tire/wheel combos, but I was only talking about a Venza here.

I guess my overall point was that one shouldn't pass up the Venza just because of the wheel size or because a couple of reviewers didn't like it. Test drive it yourself; talk to people who actually own one and live with it every day. Then make up your mind. As far as ride harshness goes, my previous vehicle was a Lexus RX350, and that had a pretty smooth and quiet ride. Now, most of the passengers in my Venza think it rides more smoothly and quieter than the Lexus. I guess they haven't read the reviews. ;)
  • Hi There,

Can anyone tell their experience on the Down Hill Assist when Cruise control is set?

Does it work on toyota venza? I have been driving in the Alleghenies and whdn on a down hill on a set speed on a cruise the vehicle doesn't maintain the speed set in by cruise it increases according to how steeply vehicle is going down. Is that normal?

with my previous vehicle Mazda cx 7 AWD i never faced this problem?
    R u guys having the same issue....? am :confuse:
    While I'm certainly no a fan of 20" wheels on an SUV (17" on my RX) I can't remember the last time I had to change a tire when underway. 69 years and LOTS of miles/year.

And on the other hand I really can't see what would be the difference in swapping out a 20" wheel/tire vs a 17".
    Asked and answered.....
  • would appreciate some comments from all about the venza's ride do the 19 inch wheels ride any better or worse the the 20 inch ones looked at a venza today but have never had a vehicle with such big wheels and tires. thanks.
  • Hey batavia02,
    I think your best bet is to test drive all of the vehicles that are of interest to you and decide for yourself. Ride quality is a very subjective thing, what feels harsh to one driver may be fine for another. In the Venza's case, the main difference between the 19 and 20 inch wheels is the different engine (I-4 vs V6) and that will probably play a bigger role in your decision compared with wheel size. I previously drove a lexus RX350 (with 18" wheels) and I find my V6 Venza (with 20" Michelins) to be a bit firmer over bumps but not objectionable and not tiring. And my passengers have never complained about the Venza's ride comfort - in fact they enjoy the large space available, especially in the rear seat.

MD
  • There are differences in ride due to the tire brand that may account for as much difference in ride quality as changing from the 19 inch to 20 inch wheels. I have Michelin Latitude tires on my 20" wheels which generally get better reviews than the Goodyear RSA tires that are also offered. See survey results at tirerack.com where reviewers average rating is 8 for the Michelin and 5.5 for the Goodyear. I told my dealer that I would only accept a Venza with the Michelin tires, which incidentally retail for almost $100 per tire more than the Goodyear and have a treadwear rating of 440 instead of 260 for the Goodyear. I agree that it is best for you to test drive Venzas with the different size wheels to determine your preference. However, keep in mind that the tires are another important variable to consider and note during the test drive. In my humble opinion prospective buyers should pay attention to the tires when more than one brand is offered as original equipment as is the case with the Venza.
  • Putting aside the question of whether or not 20" tires look better, can anyone educate me about the functional advantages vs. disadvantages of 20" tires vs. 19" or even 18" or 17"?
    There seems to be a lot of criticism of 20" tires on the Venza creating a rough ride, etc. I have driven a Venza with 20" tires for the last six months and I haven't noticed a particular problem, but I haven't ridden in a Venza equipped with 19" tires. Previous Camry with smaller tires seemed just fine.
    But what are the tradeoffs as you move to a larger or smaller diameter?
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,547
    I can understand going to a Plus size tire, but going bigger looks like you'd just add to the unsprung weight and mess up the handling. But your experience says otherwise.

Try Tires, tires, tires.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.