Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza Tires

Comments

• bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    What about like $220.?
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    Kind of a smart mouth, aren't you. As for ability to pay, already own 06 & 08 Avalon's. Might or might not buy the Venza; It's on my list to replace the 06 Avalon with 136,000 trouble free miles on it, but not real high on the list after driving it. It's not about affordability, It's all about value. Incidentally, what car do you drive & when Are you going to buy your Venza?
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    The issue seems to be lack of choice and the reviews on available replacement tires are reportedly poor here and on the Tire Rack reviews. The same issue has come up about the Highlander.

That's a misleading statement regarding the 20" tire. It's been stated multiple times: look at the options on tirerack.com. There are 8 replacement tire choices from 5 manufacturers ranging from a mediocre $99 Goodyear to a $268 Michelin (ironically, Toyota uses both for OEM). The others are in between. That's not exactly the "debacle" some have made it out to be.

On the other hand, the Venza 4-cyl and Highlander 19" tire (245/55-19) has only one replacement at tirerack.com at $172 each. I think the complaint about a lack of replacement options here is justified.

Looking at the Highlander's 17" tire (245/65-17), there are 51 choices. However, the cheapest -- a Firestone -- is $96 each. So the assumption that a smaller tire size (or more choices) leads to vastly cheaper replacements is not necessarily true.

I'll also add: I like the 20" wheels on my Venza. :)

Regarding the opinion that Toyota should have made a range of wheel sizes optional, that takes us back to trying to please everyone like the domestic auto makers tried with a thousand different option configurations. That's inefficient and expensive. The 20s won't please everyone, but Toyota went out on a limb and I'm glad they did.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    look at the options on tirerack.com

That's an interesting metric. There's 35 tires available at Tire Rack for my '99 minivan. There are 36 for my '97 wagon. Prices run from $50 to $128.

We've tire-kicked the FWD Matrix for a while now. The '09 Matrix offers two OEM sizes for the S FWD version. There's 150 tires available for it in the 205/55-16 size, starting around $62. And there's 64 available in the 215/45-17 size. The Matrix has been around for what, six years now?

8 is better than a couple of options, but how long should you expect to wait for a couple of dozen replacement tire options? And will the larger tire size always limit your options?

My '82 Tercel that I drove for 17 years had 13" tires and I remember replacing the whole set for well under $200, mounted, balanced, etc. Of course, Tire Rack carries zero tires that would fit it. :)
    There's 35 tires available at Tire Rack for my '99 minivan. There are 36 for my '97 wagon. Prices run from $50 to $128.

And that's great. If someone wants to make a buying decision between a '99 minivan and an '09 Venza based on the available number of tire replacement options, then I'd agree: the minivan wins.

My point is that the concerns about the replacement cost of the 20" tire should be driven by facts and not assumptions that the huge tire will be way more expensive than a smaller tire.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    The advocates of the 20" tire are nay saying cost and availability justifying their stance seemingly because they like the "look". First off, I hate the look. To me this is just a fad(I won't go down that path to avoid offending some) and am surprised Toyota has gone in that direction.

I could be persuaded to adopt these over sized tires as acceptable if I could see what the advantage is. However in all the discussion I have not seen anyone explain what the benefits of these low profile oversize rims have including Toyota. The tires and rims are one of most important part of a vehicle for safety, ride quality and affordable replacement.

Advocates please list the actual benefits over a conventional size wheel and tire for all here, Sell me, thanks.
  • otolaotola Posts: 7
    There is no benefit to having 20" tires over 19" other than the oversized look; in fact, the ride quality gets worse. Just give those who want the V6 the option to choose between them rather than pushing the oversized wheels. I just don't get that - they have the 19" so it's not that they have to design a new set.

Cost is less important to me, tires seem to last quite a long time and regular maintenance costs are so high alraedy that that issue is relatively unimportant to me (I don't need snow tires). But ride quality is very important to me.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    The engineers that designed the Venza could have designed it for a more widely available tire size, but didn't. Most people, engineers and consumers alike, have never experienced the huge improvement in ride quality, traction, and noise that a really good set of tires can make. Many of us have, and we are concerned that Toyota has, perhaps unwittingly, blocked us from doing that.

I have all but written off the Venza 4-cylinder because of this. Michelin may add this size this summer. So, I'm now waiting for the 2010 Subaru Outback, although the Hyundai Elantra Sport may be a less-expensive option. The Matrix is smoother and quieter, but the Hyundai drives with a taut feel that the Matrix doesn't have.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,917
    Please talk about Venza tires in here. Replacements, upgrades, winter tires, new rims, etc.

TPMS questions are welcome too.
  • The lower the sidewall on a tire means less roll or sway on sharp turns.maybe toyota wanted this to get a good rating on rollover at speed.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Tirerack indicates that there are only two 245/50-20 specialty winter tires available and both are in the $240 price range. Whereas if you downsize the wheel to fit a 225/70-16 tire then there are 4 available ranging from $75 to $135.

The even more interesting point is that should I wish to shod the V6 Venza with nice and quiet, comfortably riding, summer use only tires then according to Tirerack those do not exist AT ALL.

So if you want a nice and quiet, comfortably riding Venza, you might need to go all the way down to a 17" wheel.

Strange.
    Given that the heigth of the Venza is so much lower than the HL & RX I wouldn't think using tire size, OUTSIZED tire size, to overcome the propensity for rollover would be high on the priority list, certainly not high enough to justify this level of wheel/tire OUTSIZING.

I will not be considering the purchase of a Venza until I see the I4 adopt DFI, with the appropriate displacement downsizing and a CVT, or an HSD version, whichever comes first.

But should I purchase a Venza the wheels would immediately get downsized to say, 17X8, and shod with the quietest and most comfortably riding tires I can purchase.

No "boy-racer" mentality "here".
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    "Why produce an AWD crossover that cannot easily be fitted with winter tires that don't cost a fortune?"

Probably because Toyota has been so successful in the US that they are beginning to become too internally focused forgetting about the customer, just like GM did.
    Probably because Toyota has been so successful in the US that they are beginning to become too internally focused forgetting about the customer, just like GM did.

I hope Toyota avoids GMs mistake in trying to please everyone in every situation.

If you look at a lot of GM models, they offer 4 or 5 different wheel/tire choices. Just think of how many combinations there are, combined with multiple trim levels and other options.

Toyota went out on a limb with the standard 20-inch tire on a relatively low-volume vehicle. Not everyone is going to be happy. Moving on.
  • For those who are considering to replace their tires and wheels, check this out
    http://www.tuningnews.net/photo_preview/081021a/22/toyota-venza-sportlux/
  • halwickhalwick Posts: 45
    Sasha,
    I hope you're passing along the negative feedback on the oversize 20" and lack of tire availability on the 19" tires as well. My tire dealer informs me there are only two brands on the market in the P245/55R19: Bridgestone and Toyo. And those tires are over $200 or more each! Why did the engineers pick those particular size rather than the more available 16", 17", or 18"?

Other comments: The 20" wheel rims look disproportionate large to the vehicle and personally I don't care for the "gangsta" style look. The 19" rims are somewhat better, but still disportionately large. Combined with the low profile 55 tires reminds me of the early 1920s-vintage automobile spoke wheels and tires.

Halwick
    "..Why did the engineers pick.."

Toyota's southern California engineering and styling design center, still the land of "fruits and NUTS".

And no disparagement of the gay community intended or implied.
  • verndogverndog Posts: 6
    I too like the 20" wheels. Just took delivery of the car today, and part of what attracted me to the car was the stance and look to the V6 model with 20's. I didn't really care for the large wheels in most applications prior to seeing this car either. I'm a 50 sumthin Crager / 69 Mach 1 owner and love the classic 15" wheels by nature.

My only gripe at this point...the amount of lead they had to use to balance the Eagle Tires on the car!! WOW...there must be a row of 10 leads on the worst tire (inside of wheel-- stick on weights)...that my friends is a sign of crappy tires, as I doubt the wheels are that far out. I'm pretty picky though...suppose I'll quit staring at that gob of weights some day.

Also...ride is very good IMO and on par to better then the 05 Accord I traded in with less road noise and nicer seat feel...BUT it was harsh at first so I checked the pressure, and the Dealer had 45 lbs in my 20" bricks! Dropped them to 34 and huge difference. Check your tire pressure if you have a harsh ride.
    Personally I would not accept delivery absent the dealer correcting a matter this serious.
  • verndogverndog Posts: 6
    Ya, except I didn't spot this issue until I got home. The problem is exagerated since the lead is concealed on the inner wheel where it can be "hidden"...except the fact there is no hiding since the spoke design opens the inner wheel to sight. I will see what can be done about it, the most on any other wheel is 4 (4 gram) leads. The car rides fine so it could be a double edge sword if I have them start messing with it. Prob. is there from an out or round tire knowing the issues I hear with many Goodyear tires.