Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza Tires

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The bigger the wheel diameter vs the tire sidewall there will be an improvement in FE. Less CSA for roadbed contact/friction, less tire flex, lower heat buildup in the tire, improved FE.

The "poor" traction CSA issue can be addressed somewhat by going with a WIDER wheel thereby allowing a wider tire tread.
    With alloy wheels the "net", overall, weight of a 20" wheel/tire combination could be less than a 19" (or even 17") wheel/tire combination. A "pound" of rubber may weigh more than a "pound" of aluminum allow wheel.
    "...Does the tire/wheel combo look good...No!.."

69, going on 70, I'm of the opinion it looks good.

"...Does it improve fuel economy..No!.."

Yes, YES...!!

Lower CSA for roadbed contact = lower roadbed friction/rolling resistance.
    Lower sidewall = less sidewall flex = lower heat buildup in the tire.

FE improved overall...YES.!

"...Does it improve handling or unsprung weight..No!..."

Improved handling, YES, without doubt.

lower unsprung weight, maybe. See separate post.

"...Is this an example of Toyota losing focus..Yes!..."

No, not in my opinion.

All that being said I would change out to 17" right away.

But then I won't even consider buying a Venza until I see the 4 cylinder with DFI.
    "...Toyota should offer..."

The CAFE rules/regulations do not "allow" that.

With 17" wheels the EPA estimates would undoubtedly differ.

Like asking for a 5 speed now that the 6 speed is available.

One of the reasons you now see the very same 6 speed transaxle on both 4 and 6 cyclinder engines. In the old days the 4 cylinder would probably have been coupled with a less expensive 4 speed, lower manufacturing cost trumping FE.

No more...Good-O.
  • I think it's nice to know the transmission on the 4-cylinder is capable of handling the higher power output of the 6-cylinder engine and thus understressed.
  • dboedboe Posts: 69
    It seems you could go to Tire Rack and get a nice tire/wheel combination that would exceed the quality of the factory provided tires and wheels, but in a higher profile but smaller diameter.
    Depends how fussy you want to get.

"I think it's nice to know the transmission on the 4-cylinder is capable of handling the higher power output of the 6-cylinder engine and thus understressed'.

It is quite common anymore to have smaller and larger engines connected to the same transmission. It certainly has to be cheaper for the manufacturer. All they need to do is calibrate shift points, etc.
  • My 4cyl. (19") Venza drifts to the right; not all of the time but almost always on surface streets and the interstate. It's been particularly noticeable since I put the Blizzak snow/ice tires on. The Bridgestone dealer has checked all 4 tires and remounted them twice and advises that the tires are fine. He even gave me a free front end alignment which helped some (it needed alignment at 4500miles??) but it still drifts to the right. The Toyota svc. mgr. says that this is normal behavior because cars are designed to pull right as a safety feature (I never heard that one before). Both of my Subarus always tracked straight as an arrow. This is a very annoying problem. Any thoughts???
  • I recently had my 5000 mile service including rotating tires. My car drifts slightly to the LEFT when the steering wheel position is straight. They checked alignment, tire pressure and everything checks out. I'll wait until the next tire rotation and see what happens.

Here's something for thought: On most surface streets, the streets are slightly inclined to the right, particularly in the right lane near the curb. This allows the rain to drain into the gutter. Maybe this accounts for your car to drift to the right, but it doesn't explain why my car drifts to the left.
  • Thanks. A leftward drift is interesting. My car can drift from both the crown of the road and from the left lane which usually has a gradual slope to the left...never goes left, just to the right. This will happen on both surface streets and the interstate but not all the time. It's an intermittent problem, that's the problem. My theory is that there is a steering issue with these cars and it may be partly due to the huge tires that Toyota chose to go with.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    Since it only happens intermittently I have to think it's the road your driving on.
    The toe and camber of the front wheels are aligned to drift to the right if you take your hands off the steering wheel as stated by your dealer.
    So I can't believe it has anything to do with the size of the tires or the steering on the Venza.
  • Dave - I just bought a new 2009 Venza and am having the same issue. I have determined the cause, in my case. Next time your out, pick a flat/straight road and try this test: 1) lightly release your grip while coasting (foot off the gas pedal). 2) Go back to the same point you released your grip, do it again, but this time give it some gas.

I found that the drift right, and the degree of the drift, is directly related to the amount of juice I'm giving it. No gas, no drift. Light gas, light drift, etc. If I'm maintaining a speed, using cruise for example, once the Venza is at speed it does fine. Once I go to pass/change speed up, it veers right.

Let me know.
  • CC- thanks! I'll give it a try.
    Sounds as if you're describing torque stear resulting from have a longer halfshaft on the right side vs the left.
  • Is that considered "normal" or can it be corrected (under warranty?). It's very annoying.
    SOP....pretty much normal for FWD and F/awd vehicles. After a while you should not really notice it except in an accelerating right turn.
  • dave139dave139 Posts: 19
    Have tried your suggestion and it works about 95% of the time however the car will sometimes drift during coast on flat road. I think the aggressive snow/ice tires are a factor. Will be removing the snows soon and will try again.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • mb011bmb011b Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I got my Venza in November and put winter wheels on it right away. The winter wheels were 18" right off of my former Mazda CX-7... the bolt patterns and centerbore were a perfect fit. Dunlop WT M2 235/60R18. This was their 4th summer and they are too worn now for another winter.

From the day I put those winter wheels on, I noticed the car pulling to the right. I was convincing myself that maybe it was the crown of the road or something... Or maybe I needed an alignment. But today I switched back to the OEM 19" wheels. The pulling-to-the-right is totally gone.

The offset on those wheels was off by about 10mm from the OEM wheels, and the tires were a lot skinnier than the OEM's. So the wheels looked like they were set in from the fenders a little bit too much.

I don't know why the snows pulled to the right... but it was definitely the snows.

I also wonder whether they may have been ineffective because of that pulling... or wearing out faster.

I just came across this thread because I was thinking maybe next year it would be better to get 245/55-19 snow tires and mount on OEM 19 rims. But there are no snow tires in OEM size! I know some dealers have put packages together, but what does Toyota expect us to do?
  • jaimel2jaimel2 Posts: 5
    :mad: My problem is since I leased my 2009 Venza on January 2010 I feel and all passengers feel all road imperfections and sharp bumps, low manholes and small potholes. This is a 4 cyl. with Bridgestone Dueler x/L 400 tires P 245/55R 19. PSI at 32 as recommended by Toyota. Previously I had a 2002 and later 2005 Highlander with Michelin tires and 17" wheel and I had always softer ride. What can I do since I am stuck for 38 month lease and a bumpy ride?
  • berriberri Posts: 4,234
    Unfortunately that's one of the trade-offs when go to bigger wheels because you've got less rubber. Is there an upgraded Michelin or Goodyear tire in that size? I got rid of my Duelers on a Honda and upgraded to Michelin - BIG improvement in ride, noise and I haven't had a flat from a small metal staple either!
  • halwickhalwick Posts: 45
    I hear Hankook is offering Ventus AS tires in the P245/55R19 soon. I have Hankook Optimo tires on a 2003 Buick Century and for the price paid (much lower than Michilins or Toyo) am pleased with them.
  • Dave, this reply is a little tardy.
    My Venza V6/AWD also drifted lightly to the right after I changed to Blizzak DMV1s on 20" rim combo for the winter. I also noticed that the steering was also very sensitive when trying to keep in my lane on the freeway. I changed back to the OEM michelins and put them on the winter black chrome rims that I realy liked the look of. The asked Toyota dealer to checkout the alignment when he changed the tires, and he said that there was no problem and indicated that the DMV1s were an aggressive tread and probably caused the sensitive feel for the steering. I can advise that the OEM michelins on the winter alloys ride as well as on the OEM rims, and I suspect that the Blizzaks may be the cause for my light steering, and will confirm this when they are used during the next winter season on the OEM rims. BTW - the Blizzaks gave no problems on snow and Icy roads (except for the lighter feel).
    regards
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Posts: 36
    edited November 2010
    I had a flat tire yesterday, nail on the side wall so no one could fix or replace it here in Alexandria VA so I went online to order the Michelin Latitude Tour HP at tirebuyer.com for $200.oo per tire compare to $250 or more. What is nice, they can ship it directly to the repair shop of your choosing.

I spoke to NBT, the Michelin Latitude is a better tire and ride than the Goodyear RSA. I thought of Pirelli but I decided to stick with Michelin. However, I am interested to hear from anyone who bought Pirelli since it is cheaper than Michelin.

And lastly, I had to buy them in pairs, if not, the car will pull to the side coz of the newest thread.
    Pre-sumption = EPS, Electric Power Stearing.

The Blizzak has less roadbed contact surface area vs any "summer" tire. Less contact = less friction = "lighter" stearing effort = more "wondering".

You might want to consider installing an aftermarket "shock-absorber" type stearing stiffener to make up for the lack of "on-center" power assist/boost torque.
  • I have a 2010 Venza 4 cylinder AWD that came with Toyo tires. it's a smooth ride and holds the road well. We have had a lot of snow/ice this winter and the tires have done well in the bad weather.
  • I live in upstate NY and experiencing a record breaking winter...I'm driving the 4 cyl AWD Venza w/ 19" wheels.

In my second winter with (4) 19 Inch Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 Tires. Made all the difference in the world. It's not a Subaru but it's holding it's own now that I've got good snow/ice tires.
    edited February 2011
    You don't say if your past wintertime driving experience was FWD or RWD..

For an experienced driver RWD vehicles will be quite a bit more benign on the slippery stuff than would be ANY FWD or even F/awd vehicle. Asking the front tire contact patch to be responsible for both forward motion/drive AND directional control on an adverse, slippery, roadbed surface can quickly result in a traction equation that does not compute.

Any experienced driver of "true" 4WD vehicles will advise you NOT to have "drive" on your front tires once underway at any reasonable traveling speed, 'way too HAZARDOUS otherwise.
  • I've driven RWD, FWD, AWD, and 4WD vehicles in snow, ice, slush, on pavement and gravel. My first car was a 1969 Pontiac Lemans. Driven pick up trucks with weight in the back for winter driving. Driven pick up trucks without weight in the back as well (that was always an adventure). My question remaines - for a FWD 2009 V6 Venza with 20" tires, are others with this same vehicle experiencing the same problems with handling in snow. If I knew that I needed to get a 2nd set of tires for driving in the snow then I would have never bought this vehicle.

For the record, I'm 43 years old, female, been driving since age 14.
  • Oh, and when I do use 4WD, it is for low speed situations, to only get thru whatever muck I am in. Once i get out of the trouble area, I then switch off 4WD. I know way better than to ever use 4WD at any speed over 5-25 mph (depending if you are in 4Low or 4High). I had an AWD vehicle with 4WD for 6 years prior to getting the Venza. Was looking for something with better gas mileage and lower profile. Was informed by the salesperson (bought here in Iowa, from an Iowa dealer) that the All Season tires (even though they are Goodyear ) would perform just fine in the snow.

My husband's FWD Nissan drives way better in the snow than the Venza, and it is a very lightweight (Altima) with no better tires than the Venza. But, they are 15" tires, normal sidewall. So......
    You went from an AWD/4WD vehicle to a FWD Venza...?? On a salespersons word..?

Your level of disappointment must be nothing less than astounding.

Your husband's Nissan may not be handicapped with the TC "nanny" level of the Venza. With the Venza, or any modern day FWD vehicle, once wheelspin/slip is detected the engine will be INSTANTLY dethrottled and the brakes used to help abate the wheelspin/slip. Loss of FRONT traction due to the use of too much engine torque for conditions is now considered a pretty damn serious matter and therefore the utmost measures are being used as a safety matter.