Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza Tires

124»

Comments

• Moderator - please delete this thread. I did not come onto this forum to be ripped a new a** hole due to my choice of vehicles. I came on to this forum to find out about tires on my Venza.

I spent 6 months researching vehicles prior to deciding on the Venza. If I was a guy, would you treat me with more respect. Salespeople, yeah, I so believe every f'ing word they say. I fired the first one that I worked with. Treat me with respect and common sense and you will get my business.

Again, all I wanted was information on the tires.

I went from a 2004 Dodge Durango AWD/4WD to the Venza. I wanted my 16 year old daughter to have a safe vehicle to drive back and forth to her rural school (yes, I'm in the middle of hickville). Gawd, if you really want to know every vehicle I've ever driven:
    * Saturn Vue
    * Chevy Lumina
    * Chevy Suburban (2WD)
    * Chevy Silverado
    * Dodge Caravan
    * Chrysler Town & Country
    * Jeep Liberty
    * Pontiac LeMans
    * old Chevy Blazer (back in the day when you had to go out and turn the wheel hubs to get the 4WD to turn on).

Just because I mentioned the vehicle I came out of before the Venza...

Wow - I think after 29 years of driving in Iowa winter (and Minnesota, and in the mountains of Virginia/West Virginia, and Chicago) that i was some dumb a** when it comes to driving. Oh yeah, I've driven a Gulfstream Conquest Class C motorhome on a Ford full ton chassis before as well - oh, even in snow and ice with that driving to dog shows.

Again, just delete this thread - I was really stupid that I thought I could actually get some honest feedback - guess I read the other threads on this website wrong. :mad:
  • wayne21wayne21 Posts: 231
    edited February 2011
    Moderator - please delete this thread. I did not come onto this forum to be ripped a new a** hole due to my choice of vehicles. I came on to this forum to find out about tires on my Venza.

I was curious how much crap you would be willing to take. I thought when you mentioned you were in your 40s and had driven in snow all your life that you wouldn't be treated like a 16 year old who just got licensed and had never seen snow. FWIW, we have a fwd 6 cyl venza with the goodyear tires, too. No snow, but I can tell you that our venza hydroplanes a lot so I'm thinking it may be a tire problem (goodyear). Don't waste your time with your salesman as most car salesman will tell you anything - especially if you're a female. I'd suggest finding someone with a venza who does not have goodyears and see what their experiences are. I suppose that was your original intent here, but you may want to ask your dealership for a name of someone else who bought a venza and give it a shot with a phone call before getting rid of your car. I'm in my 50s and have driven since 13 - all kinds of vehicles. The only other car I've had with hydroplane issues was an accord with michelin mx4 energy (or something like that) tires. I got rid of them real fast and the hydroplaning went away instantly. Good luck.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited February 2011
    "...if I was a guy.."

You would have been treated exactly the same..

If you read around you will find that I tend to say it like it is, no holds barred.

But since you opened the door..

With my life's experience(***) I would NEVER have allowed my wife to buy even a F/awd, let alone a FWD, for the kind of winters I expect you encounter, and certainly not one for a young inexperienced daughter to drive.

Not being chauvinist, just PROTECTIVE.

*** 70 this year, wintertime driving experience NH, AK, MT, WA, OR.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..to find out about tires for my Venza.."

To answer your question more directly.

There is NO tire available that will be or any substantive level of help for a FWD Venza. With FWD you will often be asking to much for the traction level of those front tires in more normal traction conditions, let alone wintertime adverse roadbed conditions as you might encounter in Iowa.

That pickup absent rear weight may have been a bit squirrelly in those conditions but you still had the front tire traction, the entire front traction co-efficient, allocated to directional control. Hell, you could even gain extra "drive" traction at the rear by driving along slightly sideways if you wished.

Get "squirrelly" with a FWD and/or F/awd and you get to just hang on and pray. That's why these modern day TC systems are so dammed aggressive, life-saving measures by the design engineers.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    ...maybe we could all lighten up, until someone chimes in, who actually as a FWD Venza with the 19" tires?

As a general rule, when you pick a larger diameter tire size on a particular vehicle, the tire width is increased, along with the lower profile. The wider tire means a bigger contact patch, resulting in less weight per sq/in., in comparison to the stock size.. This is usually a negative, when driving in snow or slick conditions.. (this holds true, regardless of which wheels are driven).

Adding to this, most larger/wider tires seem to be sportier models, more attuned to normal driving conditions, than for winter weather duty.

Not knowing the model or particular size of the tires on the Venza makes it hard to intelligently make a case for whether any of the above is a particular problem with your vehicle, or just normal for that type of tire... If it turns out that all FWD Venzas with 19" tires suck in the snow, there is always the possibility of switching to 17" wheels/tires. They aren't as pretty as 19" wheels, but there are plenty of models in that size that can give you outstanding winter traction.

Before we keep debating this subject, I'd like to hear from a member that has this particular set-up.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host - SUV Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• wayne21wayne21 Posts: 231
    I mentioned that my v6 venza hydroplanes with goodyears and today I spoke with a friend of mine who also owns a v6 venza. His came with michelins and he says he has never experienced any hydroplaning. So I'm thinking it's your tires. In searching some other sites I found some input on venza in the snow. I won't ID the site, but some of the comments are below. I'm guessing it's the goodyear tires, but

1. Here in North Texas we are presently experiencing record breaking cold weather and our every year or so ice storms . We live on the top of a hill with extremely good grooved concrete streets. All other areas streets are the usual blacktop. During this weeks below freezing weather and extremely hazardous roadways my wife reports that our 2009 2wd Venza performed flawlessly, especially the automatic traction control. It is important to note that my wife is a very safe and conservative driver. In such icy weather her top speed generally does not exceed 25 mph. Her drive to and from work is 18 miles one way. All of her driving is on surface (city) streets as she dislikes the freeway.

One final note. During last years heavy snow our Venza also performed above expectations, especially for a 2wd.

2. I posted this in another thread, and keep in mind I've owned 4wd's the last 18 years. I have no need for 1 now with my FWD Venza...

We had snow then melt then ice several weeks ago and as I was going up a hill I passed 4 cars in the ditch (2 going down) and 3 of them were 4wd! Much of driving in poor conditions is the operator of the vehicle, that said for the 4-6 inches we get a few times per year, I have no problem, even on hills. And that is with good all season tires.
  • I also own a FWD V6 Venza that I purchased in December 2010.

I live in Southern Ontario in Canada but quite close to the Georgian Bay so as I consequence we get a lot of lake effect snow.

I have lived and driven in Calgary, Alberta for the previous 14 years and never used snow tires but I seriously considered purchasing them when I first boought my Venza because I drive 40KM in each direction to and from work.

I should explain that my car came with the Michelin Latitude HP all-season tires and I was pleasantly surprised at their handling in rain and wet snow.

I had a rather harrowing experience the first time I drove on a highway during a blizzard where the road surface was covered with ice since it felt like I was floating on air. I figured out later on that this was caused by the electronic steering in the Venza which does not give much feedback at the best of times.

Since then, I have not really had any cause for complaint from these tires or any real desire to replace them with winter tires.

They have climbed fairly steep hills on ice-covered roads with no problems and the main difference I have observed compared to my wife's Mazda 5 which has winter tires is that the stopping distance is longer so I generally have to plan ahead much more when driving the Venza.

I hope this helps.
  • I have had very bad experience with my Venza FWD with factory installed Bridgestone dueler H/T this winter. It would struggle even on small hills. Shutting off traction control helped a bit but not much. Recently I changed to Blizzak and it is much better. I believe that while the tires are an issue , there must be something with the weight distribution or balance as well to make it worse. I never needed snow tires for any of my other vehicles in upstate NY. Anyone with similar experiences?
  • Hi,

In the market for a 2011 Venza (looks like 2012's aren't in yet).

In looking at the car, there is an AWD system. I've searched and searched and searched some more about the system seeing if you need to replace all 4 tires if one has an issue (diameter requirements in AWD systems).

Is this true for the Venza? What has been anyone's experience? I'm wondering if I should get get a base model 4cyl FWD vs 4cyl AWD. If it's worth the difference.

Thanks in advance!!!
  • Purchased 2011 Venza AWD with 20 inch rims on 9 December. Issue with sturcturing of Toyota options list. Wanted navigation package but not leather. Could not do it.

Best feature on car is 6 speed auto trans with ability to select each gear manually. Great idea for snow country.

Remote start, remote trunk door opening and keyless entry are nice. Need more range. Eighty feet is not long enough.

Received opinions, because of AWD, would not need studded tires. To this I say BULL. To go to studded tires I am going to have to go to 18 inch rims. Have not been able to find 20 inch studs. Anyone in NW Seattle - Tacoma area having experience with this, please reply to this blog.

Gas mileage observed is 22 highway and 18 around town. Something to think about in these economic times.

Car has AM/FM, Sirius, Ipod, USB and Bluetooth media center. Overall my family likes it: however, has issues pairing and maintaining pairing of bluetooth phones. Can get my Android to pair for phone use, but not media. Have to enter phone numbers manually. Will not copy phone book. Wife's older MOTO will pair for media but not cell phone use. Go figure. Once phones are paired, cannot maintain connection next time in the car.
    Have to pair again. Toyota blames Android and Verizon. Following Android bogs, Androids in general and the Charge in particular have these connection issues.

BIG KUDOS, to Diane, at Verizon Customer Service. She was great help with trying to get this mess untangled.

My Car rides well. Stops well. Minimal road noise for vehicle of this size. 20 inch tires are HEAVY. If someone with low upper-body strength is going to drive this car, get some sort of road service protection plan. They will need it.

Lots of cup holders and power plugs. Sadly, only power plug for the rear passengers is in the back of the vehicle. Great place for a plug would have been in the back of console under the AC vents. I am going to do that mod myself.

Overall I am satisfied with the car. Would I buy one again or do it all over again...NEUTRAL.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Posts: 241
    I recently took delivery on a 2012 venza ltd with goodyear tires and the car rides great. each of the four tires has quite a bit of weight, more than on my 06 GTO with really big tires too and I was surprised to see quite so much. But its very smooth, and I don't intend to upset the factory balance at this time.

I suspect that there was no attempt to index the tires and the wheels which is a shame. There was no color dot on the wheel or the tires, and I have not seen any at any other dealership when I was shopping around, and I saw plenty of venzas. my conclusion is that toyota doesn't bother to index tires and wheels which save a few cents per installation. Hope that helps. RR70
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    Indexing tires has to do with uniformity, not balance. The result is an assembly that is more .... ah .... let's call it "round" and you'll be close.

The marks for this indexing process may not be readily apparent. It might be a small red dot on the tire that gets lined up with the valve hole. I'm not sure of the specifics for Toyota, but many vehicle manufacturers use stickers that are removed before the vehicle is prepped for delivery.

After indexing, the assembly is balanced - and that's where the weights come in.
124»