Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• jade62973jade62973 Posts: 24
    edited May 2011
    Hi Caron,

Wonderful! Thank you for confirming receipt of my e-mail. I appreciate your taking another look into my case. I understand it will take you a little time. I look forward to hearing from you. Regards.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,154
    roykulp,
    Thank you for your feedback on the vehicle. Please keep me updated on if you concerns were address at the dealer. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Steve,
    What you call the basic warranty is called the "Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty". Here is what it states on Chevrolet.com hover over "Owners" then select warranty, and it is 3rd to the last on the page. Here is the link:
    http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/

Covered for 3 years/36,000 miles*
    Chevrolet backs your new vehicle with its no-deductible, Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The entire vehicle is warranted for repairs, including parts and labor, to correct problems in materials or workmanship, for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first (except normal maintenance). The warranty covers towing to the nearest Chevrolet dealership, and there is no deductible for warranty repairs during the warranty period. The warranty transfers automatically with vehicle ownership during the warranty period.

Hope this helps! Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,582
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Christina.

My understanding is that a notchy steering issue, like the one Roykulp says he is having, would not be fixed under warranty after the 3/36 period since it's covered under the B2B warranty and not the longer drivetrain warranty.

Apparently there was some confusion with people thinking there was a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (that'd be nice :shades: ).

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• kelsan1kelsan1 Posts: 34
    I too, have a 2011 Equinox that has had some issues with it, I have owned the car for 7 months and have about 13000 miles on it. To date, there have not been any of the major issues that have been outlined in this post but I have had occasion where the transmission shifted harshly due to driving in eco mode around town. When I talked with my dealer service rep he said the eco mode will retard the engine rpm as well as fuel flow and that it is better to drive with it off. I have done just that for daily driving and only use the eco on the highway at a cruise speed. My average mpg is about 23/25 in city driving and 28/31 on interstate driving @ 70mph+.

I have the 4 cylinder in this car and like it so much, I just bought another one with the same equipment level but in a GMC Terrain. What a sweet ride. :) :)
  • sumr616sumr616 Posts: 90
    I bought my '11 Nox first week of April, it now has about 5500 miles on it (took a vacation!) and in the last week, this problem has occurred three seperate times: When starting the car, a very loud tapping noise starts as the engine starts, and lasts about 3 seconds, then stops and the engine sounds normal. It is very loud, one time I heard it while I was standing outside of the car and my husband was starting the car. It is most definitely not a "normal" sound, kind of sounds like something plastic is getting hit, or what it would sound like if you put some pennies in a coke can and shook it- hard to describe, but definitely not normal. The second time this happened, I immediately pushed OnStar and they said that no codes were showing on the computer.

Also, about 2 weeks ago, I pulled into a parking lot, was going about 10-15 mph, turned down an aisle, and the car completely stalled. Has anybody else experienced this? (didn't think about OnStar diagnostic at the time)

I'm taking the car in tomorrow to see what they say, but am wondering if anybody has an idea for known issues, or has had similar experience with these issues. I know that if there aren't any codes, they have to try to replicate the issue, and since it's random, not every time I start the car, then it's really all about luck for them to diagnose it....help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

If you read through this forum, quite a few people have had the stalling issue. I haven't seen the noise issue posted but it doesn't mean it hasn't happened to other people. I'm personally still having a "gasoline smell" issue with my car that has no error codes and cannot be duplicated. I think they don't want to duplicate it because it's daily and obvious! Have you brought your car into the dealership? If you not you should as the repairs (if any) should be covered under warranty. If repairs are made (or aren't) and the problem persists continue to bring it to the dealer (maybe a different one if need be) and start a claim with GM directly. A lot of people are having similar issues and customers need to make sure they are addressed properly one way or another. "I can't find the issue" or "sorry, we can't duplicate" is not acceptable when it it keeps happening, they should try that much harder. Good luck! Please keep us posted! If enough people are unsatisified and have unresolved issued GM may listen to a group more closely than just individuals. Hopefully, your matter will be clearly pinpointed and resolved. Getting the run around is not fun to say the least. :)
    Roy,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    I appreciate the response Jade. I took it in today, and pretty much had to beg for a rental, I have to leave town for a funeral and they won't be able to get to my car until tomorrow at the earliest, but really? Did I have to ask them 4 times for a rental? Not the dealership I bought from, if they can't figure it out, I'll call the dealer out of town that I bought from and see if anything sounds familiar to them.

This is my first *brand new* car, so I have a (probably simple) question... Since the noise on startup and stalling are purely random issues, and it may/may not happen while THEY have my car... I know my warranty will cover the repair, and I know that as long as it is documented while under warranty it will still be covered if whatever the problem is completely breaks later on down the road... What qualifies as sufficient documentation for that? Just the work order/receipt from the dealer, or do I have to "start a case" with GM? Sorry I'm new to this, just making sure I cover all of my bases.

If they call me and say they found nothing, what should be my next step? Do I just take my car and wait for it to happen again, or demand more?
    Hi Caron,

I thank you for your effort but really did not think you'd be able to do much else for me. I continue to have the "gasonline smell" issue and my attorney and I are moving forward with a case.

Thank you!
    H Sumr616,

Sorry your having so much issue especially with a new vehicle. If the issue is random, just bring it in and keep hopeing for duplication or perhaps an error code. If this goes on I'd start a case with GM just to have it additionally documented. The dealer will give you paperwork every time it goes in but it helps to have a direct link to GM in case you need to push for restitution of some kind.

It is a shame you have to beg for a loaner/vehicle. They should be more considerate. Every place is different though. My dealer was terrible. In the past I've had dealaer give me a loaner without even asking.

The best case scenario is they duplicate the issue, find the component and it never happens again. If not keep trying and keep records and notes. Good luck!!
    sumr616,
    I apologize for your concerns. How did things go at the dealer? If you could please update me on your situation, I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    They called a few minutes ago. Unable to duplicate either of the problems. They SAID they tried yesterday and today, and will try again tomorrow. (however, yesterday when I dropped it off she said they wouldn't look at it until today)

I also told them (forgot about it until today) that when the car sits in the sun, the dashboard makes a clicking noise on the passenger side. Hopefully they'll fix that. It stops once the car cools down but it happens EVERY day, drives me nuts!

Will post again after I talk to them tomorrow.
    steve_,
    Thank you for your assistance in answering customer questions. Its appreciated!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,582
    Many of the members here have been trying to help out with answers for over a decade now (I started participating on the Edmunds Forums in '99). Welcome to the show. :shades:

I would like to encourage other owners to pipe up. Your experience may help someone else and save on those irritating (and expensive!) diagnostic fees.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

They called today. They said they heard the loud noise at startup today, phew! They don't know yet what it is though. I have to call back in the morning and see if they've figured it out. The rental car is supposed to go back around noon, and it doesn't sound like that'll be enough time for them, so I guess they'll give me a loaner if they have to keep my car another night.

Will definitely post again as soon as they are able to diagnose it.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,302
    Good to hear they heard it. Kind of sounds like it may be the problem described by pip4716a which describes loud noise at startup and things for to check and correct.
    Sumr616,

That's great news! I'm glad they were able to hear it and will be working to solve the problem. Good luck! Keep us posted!
    I've tried looking for pip4716a's post, but I can't. Can you post a link to it please?
    Whoops, sorry my post may have been confusing. PIP4716A is a bulletin number, not a person, and I don't have a link. It does describe a sharp rattle noise at startup and a couple things for the technician to check/replace. It may or may not correct the problem on yours.
    sumr616,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I would definitely recommend setting up a case with GM Customer Assistance; they maybe able to assist the dealer as well as document your concerns. If you would like to do this please email me your complete contact infomraiton including address and good number to reach you, VIN, involved dealer, and current mileage. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Drove to the dealer today, couldnt get them on the phone after trying for 30 minutes. I only had so much time until I was supposed to take the rental back, and they didn't call with an update this morning like she said she would. They said only one mechanic heard the noise yesterday, and he has no idea what it was. It wouldn't make it again this morning, so every once in a while they are just going to gather a few mechanics and listen to it start a few times trying to hear the noise again. ...joy. I still have the rental. Will update again when there is a diagnosis. It does make me feel better that they heard the noise once and acknowledge it.

Christina, Thank you for the offer. Can you tell me where I can find more information about "starting a case"? I don't know anything about the process and I'm sure you understand I don't want to give out my info to just anybody! Thank you again.
    To contact her just click on 'gmcustsvc' in her post. You will find her email address and you can send her the info she asked for.
    sumr616,
    Starting a case will document your concerns. Your agent can also work with the dealer to try to resolve your issues. If at anytime someone asks you for personal information and you are unsure, I recommend speaking with one of the hosts and they will verify my idenity. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Well, I picked up my car today. NOT fixed. They told me that although they DID hear the loud noise on startup:
    1. Only one mechanic heard it and he isn't sure of the cause
    2. No error codes
    3. They couldn't duplicate the noise again, so that other mechanics could hear it
    4. They deem the car is safe to drive
    5. I should continue driving it as normal until it happens a few more times and on a more regular basis and note the conditions (if the a/c or radio is on, and if it's on an incline)

He told me that sometimes if your car is on an incline, the oil goes to one side of the engine and when you start it back up you can hear a knocking as it kind of "adjusts" while starting. I've never heard of this before, have you? (I'm not very engine savvy though) I don't think it sounds like a "knock." It's different. AND my car has never been on an incline when it has happened. It's been in my driveway (maybe 15 deg incline?) and at a gas station (no incline whatsoever).

After telling me all of this, I said "so it's happened 4 times now in the last 7 days...that's not a regular basis to you?" he seemed apologetic, I mean, I understand it doesn't happen every time it starts, it's random and they have no ideas, they tried a cold start and it didn't work, they can't think of a way to encourage it to happen. But I feel like they just kind of wanted to give up.

I also asked if they found anything out about the time my car stalled because he didn't mention it and he said "well, it only happened once, right?" there is nothing in the report that states they looked into it at all, it just says, "unable to duplicate, no error codes found." He also had nothing to say about the ticking in the dash that I've heard daily, and I noticed it isn't even mentioned in the report. Not encouraging.

So I drove away, at least I didn't have to keep driving a rental that smells bad and made me sneeze. Drove to the grocery store, about a mile away. Was inside for about 20 minutes. Started the car, and I HEARD THE NOISE!! Radio on, A/C on, in parking lot with minimal incline. It's 90+ degrees everyday, the a/c is never off. I'm giving it one more chance. After the next time I hear it, I'm taking it back. And I'm going to use my phone to record the startup every time I get in the car now. Will update when there is more to share.

Do you think it might be the fan for the A/C hitting something? Anything like that?
  • arveejayarveejay Posts: 9
    Google PIP4716A and you will find the document. It is a known issue and can be fixed by the right dealer.
    edited May 2011
    Thank you ray80. I managed to fond a post in another forum where a guy posted the full bulletin as well as a video of his car making the noise-sounds familiar! Will try to get it recorded on my phone as well and will print out the bulletin to take with me to the dealer. I will definitely post in a few days about any progress.

Thank you, everyone who has helped me here. It may just be another day for you guys but it's meant a lot to me. Thank you. And enjoy the weekend! Hopefully you have great weather where you are.
    Thank you arvee, I did manage to find it this morning! I'm hoping it's the same issue I'm experiencing and will do my best to get it resolved.
    edited May 2011
    Actually, one more question. If the pip4716a is the same problem Im experiencing, will I be doing more damage to the engine by driving it until I take it back in?
  • tanastanas Posts: 8
    I had the same problem (2010 Equinox), and they (dealership) were not able to resolve it. So after 6-7 attempts, and a lemon law case with the BBB Auto line I got a new 2011 Equinox.
    BUT unfortunately, recently I heard the same noise and I will, be visiting the dealership in my earliest convenience.
    P.S. Whenever you have a chance, record with a camera. The video is so, so powerful evidence!