Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• sma1sma1 Posts: 20
    I read it fine. Caps mean your yelling. The guys upset...and understandably so. Actually caps grab my eye more so and catch my interest... Were all disgusted with GM and we all have our own way of venting....
  • Hi Sarah,

I sent you all of my information and the service request # that I have with GM corporate. I got a auto-response from you a few weeks ago and then a reply from you that you would continue to let me work with GM corporate.

Thanks,
    Concerned Mother
  • devilsbaydevilsbay Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    UPDATE - 2011 V6 AWD Chevy Equinox!

My vehicle has been in shop at Greenwood Chevrolet for two weeks and 3 days having the Cylinder head replaced because it was bad (so they told me). Today they called me and told me it was ready to be picked up.

I returned my rental vehicle and showed up to pick up my vehicle. They told me they replaced the bad cylinder head and the new one is on there and it's good as new. My husband told me to get the bad cylinder so he could look at it. When I asked Roger (the service manager) for it - he told me that they couldn't give it to me because they have to give it back for warranty purposes. I said "Ok, then can you show it to me and I'll take a picture of it to send my husband." He said he would go take the pic - went into the back room for close to 10-15 minutes.

When he returned this is the picture he showed me (see below). This is supposedly the "BAD" cylinder head they took off my vehicle.

I drive home and notice there is no difference in the performance of the vehicle. It's actually running worse than it was when I turned it in. I find it strange, but get home and show the picture to my husband. He immediately jumps up, gets a flashlight and goes under the hood of the car - he starts packing my son and I in the vehicle and says we're going back to the dealership RIGHT NOW!

Come to find out the paint on the bolts for the exhaust manifold is still there from the manufacturer. This cylinder head that is on my car right now has never been taken off.

We explained everything to the sales manager and he was in shock. This dealership never even removed my original cylinder head and that picture is (i think) of a brand new cylinder head with some bad valves placed in it.

I'm in such shock I don't even know what to say. I've been lied to, knowingly been put back in an unsafe vehicle (more than once) and they have committed fraud. God knows who else they've done this to.

The sales manager has asked that we come tomorrow to speak with the owner, but before we do that I'm heading over my local newspaper, going to 7 on your side news channel, I'm going to post my story on every major Social Media forum in the country, I am going to send my story to news reporters all over the state and I am personally sending a note to the CEO and board members of GM.

Chevy - You should be ashamed of yourself! It sickens me to think of what could have happened to my son and I because you lied about work you never performed, gave me a work order for it, then lied to me again when you gave me a picture of a brand new cylinder head.

I'm sick over this. You disgust me!
  • suevensueven Posts: 79
    I had mine replaced as well. When I pulled my car out of the garage the next morning, the garage floor was covered in oil. The cracked the oil pan during the repair....
    45 days later - problem is back and truck is back at the dealer...
    I cannot wait until this lease is over - this trick is a piece of junk!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    Good morning sueven,

We're sorry to hear that you've had to bring your truck back in for further repairs. If you would like for us to check into anything further with your dealership, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (please include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, a brief summary of the situation, and the name of your involved dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have just gotten my Equinox back from RK Chevrolet. This is the second "major" repair, on a vehicle that now has only 25,000 miles on it. First, I had the cam sensors, timing chain etc replaced... at 15,000 miles! Now, the transmission has been opened up and worked on. It was not functioning, while I was out of town on business.

Now, while RK does fix the problems, and my vehicle works fine when I get it back, we all know this is a short term fix. It is quite apparent, by now, that the 2011 Equinox has a defective drive train. At the very least, a high percentage of these vehicles are lemons. GM needs to act quickly, before the media does. I am waiting for one more problem, then I will be done with this vehicle.

GM could, should and likely will respond with, at least, a favorable trade option for the newer, corrected model. I would think that this would show confidence in their product and compassion there customer. If not, this will be an ugly time for GM, and a loss of customer loyalty and trust.
  • I was having some experience with hard shifting, called the dealer quoted them the service bulletin fond on this blog. I had my problem resolved with no hassles at the dealership and now mine is running smooth, in fact I hardly notice the shifts. I drive highway and city each day and have almost 60,000 kms. This vehicle has more than pleased me, I traded in an 08 Torrent and have to say that I am experiencing better fuel economy, comfort and little problems when compared to my Torrent and the dreaded Escape that I had before then. Mcuh better than other cars/dealers than I have personally experience with in the past (Mazda,Ford,Chrysler and Toyota).
    We're glad to hear that you've had success with your dealership getting the shifting concern resolved! Here's wishing you many more happy miles and a great holiday season!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Dont hold your breath...GM will respond and run circles around you. My 2011 equinox needed a new motor because it was consuming oil...and multiple other problems ranging from sensors, cellinoid, cam, fuel pump, etc. I bought this vehicle brand new and I refuse to have my brand new motor pulled apart. So I traded...the most GM WOULD GIVE ME WAS $3000... Whoopy dooo...i put $1500 cash down and 18 months worth of payments totaling$8000 onto this vehicle...the $3000 basically added insult to injury. So basically I lost $6500 and gained 28 months more of a truck payment. The district manager actually had the nerve to fight with me and I finally hung on her. She did her job well...she gained the company another sale by ripping me off.

Oh and as far as Sarah the GM responder to all our complaints... I wonder how she feels at the end of the day after acting concerned and lying to all of us...OR maybe she is just a computer responding...

I wish you better luck than I had with GM...
  • It is of no comfort to see I am not alone. Bought a NEW '11 LT. Within a few months, get engine light on and burning smell. Pull over and they had to tow me to dealership. Stranded me at home with no loaner for almost a week. Couldn't find anything they said. Then rough shifting, transmission slipping (others in the car when happens, but no pattern). Told me for 1st engine light issue I had to use PREMIUM BRAND of gas. I asked if Shell was what they considered a premium brand. Tell me on the slippage that it was because I drove with the Eco feature on. Turn it off they say. Still slips. Not as much, but still, and it is hard shifting...jerks you and a very hard feeling when riding. Now engine light is on again. Within a block of home car stalled. Stalled twice more while driving to dealership about a mile away. THEY told me to drive it there. Hook it up to the little box under the driver side and nothing shows. Said they're gonna have to hook it up to another testing machine and will call sometime monday. Again they start with the brand of gas and other nonsense. If they can't find it and fix it, I'm trading in for a different make. Will NEVER buy Chevrolet again. Oh, did i mention that it has 9K miles on it, and constant problems since the check engine light the first 3K miles. I'm going to lose money, but I will have a reliable vehicle.
  • Do not leave the dealership without a LOANER or RENTAL car. You purchased this car with a warranty, expect them to take care of you! If you let them walk all over you, they will. The transmission module (internal they say) was replaced on mine. The cam sensors were replaced on mine, the timing chain was replaced on mine etc...etc...etc. I bought it new, and I told them to get me a rental, which they did. Every time, with the exception of normal maintenance, I was given a vehicle. I even insisted on an SUV, and received one.

I think you have a bad dealership there! GM, at least has attempted to handle this, my dealership (RK Chevrolet in Virginia Beach Va.) has been very good. Complain to GM, let them know what is going on. If you do not get help, come back on here and let's blast them! We all need to make it loud, through local and national news media. First, however, let GM know.
    You describe my stalling and slipping issue to a T. It blows my mi mind that the same exact issue has occurred on all of our 2011 Equinox's that have vented her. Heck, we should all file a class action suit against GM. They should not be allowed to get away with this...
  • CapeCodCapeCod Posts: 117
    Mine is a 4 cyc and my 2 major complaints are still the 'start-up' noise and the not up to advertised gas mileage. I keep my fingers crossed the 'start-up' noise will not turn into something major later... so far 18000-20000 miles. I see now the 6 cyl owners have joined the site with their own problems! My wife is happy with the car... I am disappointed. I wish I had done a bit my work getting a better deal on a CR-V, RAV, or Sorento. At the time Equinox WAS the best deal but the disappointing mpg has likely reversed my good deal!
  • I could just copy previous post and paste them here. Very frustrated. I do not have time to keep taking my 2011 equinox back to the dealer to have it fixed. We traded a 10 year old Isuzu Trooper that had almost 200,000 miles which was more reliable than this. Cannot wait to trade this in for something other than a Chevy. We are on our way to take it back... Again! Major hesitation issues... Again! Scared it will leave me stranded with kids. Already had the timing belt issue, the hard shifting issue, hesitation issue..... Oh and the air conditioner decides it does not want to work sometimes. Hate to make payments on something that is not reliable! Chevy, I work hard for my money and don't enjoy wasting it. I don't have an extra car sitting around to use when this happens and can't afford a rental! So glad to know we are not alone. Why don't they recall these things if multiple people are having the same issues? How do you know if you have a lemon?
  • I just had my 2011 equinox towed to the dealership because the transmission went out. And conveniently my warranty just expired because I am over on mileage. I also had timing belt issues and the ac/heat fan went out under warranty. I am hoping GM will cover my transmission. If not, I will never get another Chevy and will trade it in for a Volkswagen.
    We're sorry to hear that you've had these troubles with your new Equinox, ohmyheadaches! Have you head back from the dealership today already? If we can check into anything further for you, please be sure to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, a brief summary of the situation, and the name of your dealership).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    michwood,

We're sorry that you're having these frustrations with your Equinox and would be happy to check into this further with your dealership. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more information (including your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Are you already in contact with the GMC Customer Assistance Center, rzawie?

• Oh, I didn't leave without a loaner. put me in a 2013 Nox. Called today and said that they replaced the intake camshaft position solenoid...it was sticking in open. Did a lil research, and seems there was a bulletin in June 2011 to reset computer for CEL issues, then changed to RECALL in Aug 2011. I was in the first time with tow to deal for CEL at 3K miles and burning smell. They said they found nothing, but went ahead and reset computers. They certainly didn't find the recall notice.

I don't drive much. It is now around a year later, and an additional 5K miles on odometer, and then the stall/CEL/stall/stall on way to dealer. They should have done this work the first time!!!

He tells me to keep the loaner until they finish their check. Sent it to the "only transmission guy on staff" and he will have it up to 3 days checking for the slipping, rough shifting issue.

Oh, and I am in '11 LT FWD, not AWD, so is that why they missed it the first time? Recall for AWD and not FWD. A little common sense would tell them the issues were the same....the exact things described in recall bulletin are what I have experienced plus the transmission issues.

So I will wait to see what they say about transmission. I plan to drive it up to 2.5 months and see if I have the same issues. If so, I'll explore legal avenues available for remedy. I will be saving extra toward downpayment and go to a different brand. I am not going to get stalled out on TX highways or 6 lane roads in this thing. I am not going to pay hefty repair/replacement bills down the line due to faulty engineering/mechanical issues.
  • I found Recall 11195A that fit my symptoms to a T, and guess what they replaced today? The camshaft intake thing referenced in the bulletin.

Now I'm going to research 11195B to see what it says, since that is referenced here.

I'll let you know what, if anything, they say is wrong with transmission. We are not alone, and GM needs to make this right. I'm just going to run away and not look back, but you can bet my big mouth is going to be flappin in the breeze about this.
  • I think it's sad that I bought this 2011 Chevrolet, because I have always loved GM products. Now, with 25000 miles on it, I have made my wife go back to her old 2007 Mazda CX7. I don't trust the Equinox, which has broken down twice, been in for engine and transmission repair and is still "iffy"! My 85,000 mile Mazda... it needs a CV axle, but I trust it. sad day for GM, very sad day for "buy American"!
  • This car is a lemon we have oil problem ,gas problem and transmission problems , Chevrolet or GM will not fix it.

We purchased Chevrolet Equinox 2011 on 08/26/2010 new. On 12/13/2010, the car was creating a strong ticking sound. I checked the engine’s oil and discovered the oil measuring dipstick was completely dry I added a quart of oil to the engine I then, checked the oil once again and the oil was still not retaining or appearing on the dipstick as it should have.

The car’s mileage at that time was 6,058.00 We had the car serviced at Lannan Chevrolet in Woburn Ma on 12/14/2010, and 02/28/2011, 4/11/2011 and 5/24/2011.
    The service department checked the oil level within the Equinox and found it was 2 quarts lower than the quart I had previously added on the first visit.
    The second visit the car had a mileage of 9639.00 and the same problem for the other visits, now because the visits were every 2000 + or - miles the oil consumption was between 1 to 1.5 quarts of oil missing plus the high gas consumption.

I purchased a new car because I needed a reliable car, since my old s.u.v. was using a lot a gas and burning oil .Chevrolet was adverting this car as the best gas mileage,32 MPG On Highway and 22 MPG in the city, on board computer give as the reading of 20.9 average MPG.

Lannan Chevrolet in Woburn add oil to the engine every visits we had, if they did not
    Then will be 3 1/2 quarters missing of oil, for the7000 miles oil change.
    Your motor is consuming oil. Mine did the same and they were going to drop a new motor in it but I chose to trade it because I did not want anymore problems. You need to have a different dealer look at your vehicle. I can't believe GM is ignoring your issue!!! This is major!!!
    dmitrano,
    Have you already initiated contact with our Customer Assistance Center? If you haven't and would like for us to check into this further for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

• Just wondering: Did you take a hit on the resale value/trade in value due to the service issues you've had?
  • I think GM needs to get serious about fixing the problems on the 211 Equinox. I, for one, am not going to let this go on much longer. Wit todays social media, we are able to work together to get the work out. GM failed to properly test this drivetrain!

Now, after all the complaints, what are you doing to fix it? Your dealerships don't even know about the recalls or "codes" that GM has sent out. My dealership has been good (RK Chev.), but the car is unreliable.

You have our names, you know our problems... fix it. I believe a buyback of full value, in the form of a NEW car credit would suffice. If we apply this towards a new GM product, we are happy, you keep a customer and this social media problem is nipped in the bud.
    Oh I took a huge hit. Trade in was $16,000. GM gave me an additional $3000 which basically added insult to injury. And I put $1500 cash down when I initially bought this vehicle. Then there was over $8000 in car payments that I paid in the 18 months , during most of which my vehicle was in and out of the shop because they couldn't figure anything out until they noticed when the did an oil change that it was consuming. When i traded and tried to ask for more money i got into a huge argument with the district manager who talked circles around me, very rudely i might add, telling me $3000 is the most GM gives anyone. So.... Basically GM is making a whole lot of money with all these lemons they are selling. It makes me sick to see all these posts that this is such a huge problem and that GM continually gets away with it.
  • call me this morning tell me they fixed the CEL by replacing the intake camshift solenoid. Knew that. Then tell me they replaced stretch bolts on transmission because the valve body wasn't secured. Some bolts over torque, some under. Said it runs like a dream now. Maybe. I will see. If it does, how long will it last? I'm still going to run to another brand, just not immediately, unless this thing keeps going in shop in next month or two.

I know I will take a BIG hit, but I don't trust the dealer, nor do I trust this auto.

And I thought I was buying a safe and reliable car.
    I sure you have better luck than I had.

They too replaced my cam selinoid...along with the fuel pump and 5 sensors. I also do not trust the dealer... To be honest with you, thinking about it now...the dealer really rushed me through the trade in process, most likely so I wouldn't sue them. I'm sure some poor sole is now encountering my issues and GM saved a whole bunch more money because they got out of putting a new motor in. Sadly I didn't have the time to NOT have a vehicle...otherwise I would have pursued legal action, tv stations and media to bash their brand. I have a friend whose wife's jeep stalled while she was driving it...he threatened then with legal, conracting his state rep and reporting to the media...JEEP gave him back every cent of that vehicle. I guess GM doesn't give two $#&%'@...
  • suevensueven Posts: 79
    Welcome to the club!! The only advantage that I seem to have it s responsive service department.
    This truck is the biggest piece if crap! I have never gotten over 19 miles per gallon.
    At this point I hate having my kids in the car as I feel like it is not all that safe.
    So glad that I only leased this truck and can give the piece of crap back at the end of the lease!