Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• I am having the same problem had a rebuilt transmission last month by the dealer covered under warranty about a week after getting it back this same issue started that you are having. I took it to the dealer they said it could be many things and cannot guarantee that it would covered by the 100k warranty. I did find one post that in 2007 having the same problem it was covered by the warranty. So now after a week waiting on the part I am now being told there is a nationwide back order and we dont know when we will get the part. I was on the phone with chevy customer service and they are escalating my issue (yeah what ever I bet they do not call) I am sick of this car and from the look of it I am not the only person.
  • I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. At just under 1700 miles I began experiencing all the same problems as everyone else. When I took my car to the dealer, they said the loud noise was just the fuel pump and that it was normal. With regards to other problems they were able to reproduce them so there was nothing they could do about those isssues. My car is now two years old, has just over 40000 miles; it looks good, but it sounds like a piece of crap jalopy on its last leg. I have an appointment with service department tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM, can't wait to hear what their excuses for the probelms are this time. The one thing I can say with certainty is that I'm not leaving that dealership until my car is fixed and fixed right or they're cutting me a check for the true and fair value of the car. To everyone else keep fighting and don't give up. If a class action suit does come to fruition, sign me up!!!
  • nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    WOW..Please stick to the real mechanical issues; what dose a $1500 down payment and 18 payments have to do with GM drive line and warranty issues?? My Equinox is paid for and this has nothing to do with driveline issues I have also experienced!! Being said; to date GM / dealer has taken care
    of all concerns and issues; have 52000 miles on my 2010 4cyl Nox. and get 24-26 MPG hwy/city to date; have never been stranded or concerned with safety in this Nox. However; reading these Nox horror stories makes me very happy my GM Dealer has taken care of me and servicing my 2010 4cyl NOX since purchased; Oil changed @ GM Dealer every 3500-4000 miles its very cheap insurance when having drive line issues....I will probably purchase a new one when the 2014 GM Nox hits the showroom!
  • floundewfloundew Posts: 1
    Sarah,

We own a 2009 Chevy AWD Equinox. The differential failed at about 80,000 miles and Chevy replaced it under warranty(thank you). Now the transmission suddenly failed at 106,000 miles. Butch Ostalet in Pascagoula, MS stated we need a new transmission and the cost is $4000+. It is barely out of warranty and I have to believe that perhaps the differential failure had something to do with the transmission failure. Is there something GM can do to defer some of the cost for replacement considering the milage and differential failure and considering we own an S-10, Malibu and Impala.

Sean
  • sma1sma1 Posts: 20
    My money has everything to do with my issues.. Just because you have not experienced these issues doesn't mean they don't exist . This is not a message board for insults or rudeness.. We voice our issues and concerns here . Congrats if you have been lucky because many of us have not,
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    We would be happy to check into this further for you, floundew. Please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation). If you need more immediate assistance, the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center can be reached at 800-222-1020 (Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • suevensueven Posts: 79
    The district managers are extremely RUDE and worthless....
    I am making sure I get all their names - although they will only give first - and god forbid something happens i will hunt each and everyone one of them down!
    got my new engine and now at the dealer for transmission problems!
    Really - JUNK
    This is exactly why I chose to trade my vehicle and take a loss. I bought my equinox factory and no way was I having them rip my motor out. My ex was a mechanic and believe me. .. not all the parts make it back into your car. They fix one problem which leads to another. Is Just all money in their pockets.
  • Wow! So I'm not the only one having problems. My car has been good to me except when it started getting cold out, It took 3 or 4 attempts at starting it for it to finally start. Also, 2 weeks ago i had about a 1/3 of gas still left in my car and filled it up before work. It sat in my work's parking lot all day until I got in it to run errands after work. I got to a stop light and it died on me. I have mentioned it to the dealer and of course i have no codes to prove it. I know they think I'm just making it up. When I bought this car I was hoping the the 4 cylinder would be ok, but it has no get up and go. I should have got the 6 cylinder. What do you recommend doing?
    When your driving an 18 wheeler this is the case!
    GM has a newer computor update for the oil change module / idiot gauge. This should help encourage owners to change oil at the appropriate time. I have been changing my oil ever 3500 to 4000 miles at gm dealer since inception. To date my 2010 Nox has 52000 miles with no internal consumption or engine issues. These engines run very hot, old dirty broken down oil will most defintly cause unnessary internal engine wear! a
    2011chevygirl,
    If you would like for us to document that you are having these concerns and follow up with your dealership on any recent visits, we're happy to do so. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • lynn85lynn85 Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    When I thought i was getting a Reliable vehicle, I was wrong, I was driving with "No" oil in my 2011 Equinox... No warning lights nothing, my husband heard some loud noise coming from the car we check the oil first... hey there is NONE.... NO oil LEAKS in my driveway,I called to ask why this would happen to a year old vehicle the kid told me "we will have to do a oil monitor test come back every 1000 miles to check why this is happening...WE ALL KNOW WHY... THIS VEHICLE HAS A BAD ENGINE.... and GM is now mailing out a letter to do a software update for the oil life monitor system,so that means I have to go for more oil changes cause they dont know how to fix the problem.. Im very sorry I even bought this vehicle, this will be the last CHEVY we buy. I have my appointment to go, now let the bull#$^$ start, Cant wait to here what excuses they tell me.. very upset with this what NEW vehicle runs out of oil..and im always on time w/ the changes...
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,269
    lynn85, There seems to be some confusion about the letter. It does not address the oil consumption problem at all. The oil consumption test will help determine if your engine is one of the bad ones , If yours is one of them it will likely result in new engine to correct problem.
    How many miles do you drive between oil changes and how many miles are on your 4cyl nox. The oil monitor was never intended for using as a fuel gauge. it shows percentage of oil life and readings under 50% are not particulary good for the Engine; oil should be changed at 5000 mile or even less depending on driving habits. I'm surprised GM dose not have a regimented proceedure for changing oil due to owners that are challanged mechanically.
    lynn85,
    We're sorry that you've encountered this situation with your new Equinox. I see that you do have an appointment set to go in - if you would like for us to stay with you through this process, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • My 2011 is going in on Monday for the cold start up noise issue. I'll post up next week to fill you guys in on what the deal is. Just for the record, I don't think I need an "oil change" warning light/message that I know of. I change my oil about every 5 or 6 K, and use a top grade synthetic oil and this has always worked for me. I check it regular too.So far, I like my Equinox. We'll see what the future holds. Sort of like the air pressure message, I think I can keep up with that one too. The message to me is just a, well a message. You can go the common since route on that as well.
  • jingles99jingles99 Posts: 13
    Hi all, don't know if anyone else in the Philly area has received a letter from Lemon Law. Com This was an unsolicited letter from them, asking me to contact them regarding my Equinox. Apparently they are aware of the chronic problems with the 4 cylinder. I intend on contacting them, as I have had the vehicle stall several times, as well as the horrible start up noise, that doesn't go away. I had it in for service three times, of course they couldn't correct the problem, but they did change the timing belt/chain, saying it was bad. It is a 4 cyclliner. Vehicle still makes the horrible start up noise, and on occasion gets to the point of stalling out, but doesn't.
    I too received the software update letter, the same day the lemon lawyer mailed me. I think I will contact these attorneys to see what they can do. :(
  • I loved mine too, until at 4000 miles it started breaking down. All my services are done by the dealer and I ALWAYS keep it maintained. Oil changes between 3000 and 5000 miles. And it's common sense.
    Fyi... don't change your own oil as you will void your warranty.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,794
    edited March 2013
    I think it's okay to change your own oil but save all your receipts (with the brand and weight, etc. noted) and it wouldn't hurt to take photos of the oil jugs and filters. (tie-in sales )

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• FYI, sma1, no it doesn't void your warranty to change your own oil.
    WHY would anyone making a $25,000 investment for a new vehical NOT USE GM Dealer for a 5000 mile service to change oil, filters and service vehical ??? We Ara talking about a $39.00 insurance policy for maintaining you new vehical!
    Excellent let everyone know how you make out! In addition, how many miles are on your 4cyl Nox and how often do you have oil & filter changed at GM dealer? This would help seperate you from owners that might not maintain or service their 4cyl Nox at GM Dealer.
    @zzrCharlie... did you see the response from the gm host. .. saying to save your receipts and to take pictures of the jugs, etc? Pictures...really! This is exactly why I said you shouldn't change your own oil. ..gm will look for every loophole to get out of replacing a motor. Even a receipt is not good enough proof when all is said and done. . My motor was consuming oil. ..I guarantee you they would have tried to blame me if I hadn't had all maintenance done by the dealer. In my opinion. .. better safe than sorry!
    edited March 2013
    Some of us prefer to change our own oil and try to only use the dealer for warranty work. YMMV. (And I'm not with GM btw. :shades: ).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Changing own engine oil & Filters makes no sense in 2013. Unless you have a fleet of vehicals; good documentation for all service done in you own shop and properly dispose of waste oil and filters which is classified "Hazardous Waste" by the EPA. Bottom line; if you really want hold a car dealers feet to fire for "drive line warrenty" protection" let dealer service vehical as recomended in your warranty.
    edited March 2013
    The closest dealer to me is 45 miles away and it's not my brand (although it is a GM dealer). Funny, but the closest hazmat place is only 35 miles away (and it takes waste oil free). I'm two hours from a dealer that would do warranty work on my rides.

Or I can use one of the two local garages if I decide to quit doing it myself.

If a manufacturer gives me flack about warranty work, I know How to Effectively Complain about your Car Problem. That includes complaining via social media and writing the FTC if my always cogent arguments don't initially make them see the light. :shades:

We hope your visit goes well today, zzrcharlie, and will keep an eye on the thread for updates. If you should need anything in the meantime, we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • Got Equinox back today with all recall/warranty stuff completed. As far as this changing my own oil thing that some of you keep busting my b***s over, I have been changing the oil in my own cars for almost 40 years and have never been concerned about a warranty issue as far as this is concerned. As far as getting a dealer to perform all of my service work, no thanks. I have not had the 2011 'Nox long enough to perform any service work. All of the recall/warranty repairs I had done were partly because of the previous owners neglect and because the car is still in warranty. Do dealers know the car better than I do? Sure they do, but I can do some of the service work to the car without depending on them for everything. Warranty work is all theirs, oil changes and other minor things,some of us can do on our own.