Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

1313233343537»

Comments

• I have had all the same problems that you all have had. excessive oil consumption, loud engine noise, smell of gas during idle, smell of gas all the time, check engine light, and a ton of other problems. I received all of the notices from GM and presented them to my dealer. I got the fuel pump replaced, and all the recalls performed, including the ECU for the oil change timing. I am still having problems with excessive oil usage, reduced gas mileage, smell of gas during idle, loud engine noise, and definitely reduced power. I keep getting the runaround from my dealership, and it is getting old. It is a shame that GM doesnt get more involved with the way that their customers are being treated by the dealerships wearing their logos (that represent them). I don't understand why a dealership wouldnt want to make a customer happy and have their return business. I have read all of these stories about customers getting contacted by GM and given new engine replacements, and credits for repairs... I will believe that when I see it. Unfortunately, at this point, I am definitely losing alot of faith in GM products. Its a shame... Well GM... thanks for nothing. At this point, I am hoping that my Nox is still running by the time I have actually finished buying it from the bank.
  • tdw1954tdw1954 Posts: 7
    roykulp said:

I find the chevy Nox drama / issues interesting; how some owners bash, threaten legal action, over-re-acting when the GM Vehical has a 100K bumber to bumber warranty and dealer loaner is provided.

Is that what your salesman told you? LOL

• obnoxiouschevyobnoxiouschevy Posts: 3
    edited February 25
    Another update on my cruddy car. It has been about a month since having the transmission totally rebuilt, then an o2 sensor replaced days later. The check engine light came on again this past Friday night, couldn't get anyone to pick up the phone or return my call Saturday (yes, they're open) so I had to take MORE time off of work to get it to the dealership Monday where it had a catalytic converter replaced. Took yet more time off to go pick it up today and didn't even make it HOME before the check engine light was on again. I have only had this job for two months and have had to be late or leave early SIX TIMES because of this car. My boss is mad, my job is in jeopardy and my car is a lemon. Well done GM.
  • nomoregm11nomoregm11 Posts: 1
    I bought 2 brand new Chevy cars in one visit to a dealership ... a 2011 Chevy Cruze and a 2011 Chevy Equinox. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made. My experience with both cars has been horrible and the service department here in Chase Chevrolet in Stockton, CA is so incompetent, rude and arrogant. At one point the service agent asked me if I know how to read ... WOW!! I spoke with the service manager and it seems that attitude is tolerated. I have escalated several of my issues to corporate GM to no avail. My gripe and experience seems to be consistent with everyone else in this forum. I am a very patient/forgiving person but I think I have had it already. I should have listened to my wife to get rid of both vehicles long time ago and I have decided to do so. I've received so many class-action lawsuit letters on both vehicles and will be exploring that option now.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 44,456
    Ouch. You may want to write your experiences up over on Dealer Ratings and Reviews too.

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• lety03lety03 Posts: 1
    I am so glad I started researching problem with 2011 Chevy Equinox since I unfortunately own one myself and am currently stranded over two hours away from home because my engine light turned on once again. I bought this car used approximately a year ago and have nothing but problems since I got it. Every time I take it in I am told nothing is wrong with it. I have noticed that the engine sounds like it's gonna fall out when I release the gas and then accelerate again and it happens at random times. The shop wants me to make it happen but there is no making it happen so it's as if they don't believe me and just tell me nothing is wrong. On top of that they have told me maybe it's the gas I put in it which I have used Mobil and now switched to chevron supreme taking their advice that still hasn't made the problem go away. When the engine light when on maybe a month after I got it well of course it was something that wasn't covered under warranty. My car seems to be in the shop more than I could even enjoy it. I am so frustrated that I feel Chevy won the battle because I don't have time to constantly leave my car in the shop. I have a job that requires a lot of driving and to leave my car and have to pay monthly payments and also have to rent a car is a complete disappointment because this is money out of my pocket. So as I sit here trying to figure out how I am to come up with more money for towing for over 200 miles I wish I had never bought this car in the first place. I have about 10000 more miles left before my warranty is up and yet I bet for whatever reason the engine light is on again that it will be for something that isn't going to be covered once again. What a disaster this car has caused for me! So for those who are reading these reviews I suggest you stay away from buying this kind of vehicle before you end up in my position. Payments on a car and unable to drive it or depend on it to take you anywhere. Complete disappointment!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,239
    lety03 said:

I am so glad I started researching problem with 2011 Chevy Equinox since I unfortunately own one myself and am currently stranded over two hours away from home because my engine light turned on once again. I bought this car used approximately a year ago and have nothing but problems since I got it. Every time I take it in I am told nothing is wrong with it. I have noticed that the engine sounds like it's gonna fall out when I release the gas and then accelerate again and it happens at random times. The shop wants me to make it happen but there is no making it happen so it's as if they don't believe me and just tell me nothing is wrong. On top of that they have told me maybe it's the gas I put in it which I have used Mobil and now switched to chevron supreme taking their advice that still hasn't made the problem go away. When the engine light when on maybe a month after I got it well of course it was something that wasn't covered under warranty. My car seems to be in the shop more than I could even enjoy it. I am so frustrated that I feel Chevy won the battle because I don't have time to constantly leave my car in the shop. I have a job that requires a lot of driving and to leave my car and have to pay monthly payments and also have to rent a car is a complete disappointment because this is money out of my pocket. So as I sit here trying to figure out how I am to come up with more money for towing for over 200 miles I wish I had never bought this car in the first place. I have about 10000 more miles left before my warranty is up and yet I bet for whatever reason the engine light is on again that it will be for something that isn't going to be covered once again. What a disaster this car has caused for me! So for those who are reading these reviews I suggest you stay away from buying this kind of vehicle before you end up in my position. Payments on a car and unable to drive it or depend on it to take you anywhere. Complete disappointment!!!

Hello Lety03,

We truly apologize for this, and completely understand your frustrations. You have the right to a reliable vehicle and we always strive to produce a vehicle to meet those needs. We would be more than happy to look into this further for you, and provide the best possible assistance. Please send us an e-mail at socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • avoight1975avoight1975 Posts: 1
    You know, After reading all of the problems other owners are having with their 2011 Chevy Equinox, which are all the same problems I have had with mine, I am seriously thinking about trading mine. Even if that means I will be upside down in another vehicle. I have a hour and a half commute every day in stop and go traffic, plus I have a small child with me usually. This car has already crapped out on my once with the little one with me. I don't want to risk my car stalling again in a place worse than the first time.

You know, After reading all of the problems other owners are having with their 2011 Chevy Equinox, which are all the same problems I have had with mine, I am seriously thinking about trading mine. Even if that means I will be upside down in another vehicle. I have a hour and a half commute every day in stop and go traffic, plus I have a small child with me usually. This car has already crapped out on my once with the little one with me. I don't want to risk my car stalling again in a place worse than the first time.

Hi avoight1975,

We certainly understand how your past vehicle experience may cause you to consider trading your Chevy Equinox. Please know that your loyalty is very important to us and we sincerely apologize for the difficulty you've experienced. If you haven't already worked with your local Chevy dealership we'd like to get in contact with them for you. They work as our eyes and ears in the field and are in the best position to inspect your vehicle and determine what needs repair. If you'd like to give this a try please message us your VIN and contact information, along with your mileage and primary dealership name. We hope to hear from you.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 707
    Hi Avoight1975:

I have been following this issue for a long time. (I almost purchased a 2010 Equinox, but because it did not have a power seat on the passenger side, I purchased a 2010 LTZ Malibu). The Equinox has a 2.4 Direct Injection Engine, and the Malibu has a 2.4 Non-Direct Injection Engine. Here in lies the problem! The Equinox has a fuel pump problem that destroys the engine, because it allows raw fuel to enter the engine oil! (Check previous postings on this board!)

I would not take the "financial hit" for this condition! I would professionally encourage GM and the selling dealer to make the correct repairs. I would contact a "lemon law attorney" even though you might be out of warranty!

This lack of concern on the part of GM is VERY unprofessional! This action is going to cost them future sales in the Equinox line of vehicles. (What goes around does come around!)

My Malibu is coming to the end of the GM 100,000 miles extended warranty, and I am now in the market for a replacement vehicle. While my Malibu has been a great vehicle, I am going to think "long and hard" about purchasing another GM vehicle. My vehicles are my office, and I cannot have a vehicle with this kind of issue! ----- Personally, I do not think GM really cares about their customers. If they did, they would take "pro-active action" on this issue! Most of these Equinox vehicles need a replacement engine, due to the damage caused by the fuel pump. Cylinder walls, piston rings, and bearing have been compromised by diluted oil with gasoline. These engines now are "oil pumpers!" QUESTION: How many of these defective vehicles are on the used car lots throughout the United States just waiting for the next victim!

All the best to everyone!

Dwayne

• berriberri Posts: 4,631
    I don't really know if it is GM not caring about their customers, or more GM not having the engineering capability to fix some of their vehicle issues? Otherwise, why would the issues like this or Stabilitrak continue on from model year to model year? Usually auto companies resolve issues within a couple of model years when they occur.

• I purchased my Equinox in 2012, due to a lot of traveling I managed to run up the mileage to 111,000 miles. I recently moved SC, last weekend I took a weekend visit to Savannah GA, on the way home my Equinox dashed lite up like a Christmas tree..check engine light, service stabilizing engine power reduced. I was stranded on the side of the highway about 2 hours from home and after 1:00 pm on a Saturday which meant all the Chevy dealer service departments in the area were closed until Monday. I was forced to pay $350 to get it towed home. The following Monday I called the nearest Chevy dealer service department and I was told the earliest they could get it in would be Thursday. I called Firestone auto service and they were able to look at it right away, they ran a diagnostic and 8 different codes popped up. Their service tech determined it had something to do with a cam shaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, time chain and some other thing they aren't able to work on.they suggested I have it towed to the Chevy dealer and I was told the earliest they can see it will be Friday. Does any one know what's going on with models and how much will this cost me? I WAS a Chevy fan and up until now I loved the equinox...but depending on the outcome of this whole thing I may change my mind and tell everyone I meet to stay away...I hope Chevy does the right thing and correct the problem under warranty.
  • UPDATE: After a couple of days at the Chevy service shop the techs said the timing chain, cam actuator, gaskets and valve cover all need replacing..and it's not covered under warranty.meaning it's going to cost $1569!!! I checked out the NHTSA website, there are several complaints on this very issue dating back to 2011 (see NHTSA ID# 10430919; 10437891; 10499684 & 10413320) this is a problem they've known about for several years and no one issued a recall? There was a service bulletin for the camshaft actuator solenoid (bulletin #11195A)not sure if this had anything to do with it. I contacted the GM service rep. via email, she replied, said she will look into it and see if there's anything that can be done I hope something can be done, I really enjoy my Equinox and I hope Chevy can do right and take care of this known defect at no charge. I strongly believe in buying American Made products and Chevy is about as American as you can get...I hope the do right and stand by their product
  • berriberri Posts: 4,631
    I hope GM covers at least part of the bill. That's a pretty new car to have crap like that happen already. If they don't, after it's fixed you might want to take a look at an Ohio built Honda CRV. They consistently show good reliability numbers in everything from JD Powers to Consumer Reports.

UPDATE: After a couple of days at the Chevy service shop the techs said the timing chain, cam actuator, gaskets and valve cover all need replacing..and it's not covered under warranty.meaning it's going to cost $1569!!! I checked out the NHTSA website, there are several complaints on this very issue dating back to 2011 (see NHTSA ID# 10430919; 10437891; 10499684 & 10413320) this is a problem they've known about for several years and no one issued a recall? There was a service bulletin for the camshaft actuator solenoid (bulletin #11195A)not sure if this had anything to do with it. I contacted the GM service rep. via email, she replied, said she will look into it and see if there's anything that can be done I hope something can be done, I really enjoy my Equinox and I hope Chevy can do right and take care of this known defect at no charge. I strongly believe in buying American Made products and Chevy is about as American as you can get...I hope the do right and stand by their product

Hi Sc2011equinox,

We truly apologize for the outcome, and can understand how frustrating this may seem for you! Feel free to send us an e-mail to socialmedia@gm.com along with your VIN and case #. We would be more than happy to investigate this further, and notify your agent. We look forward to your response!

Patsy G
    GM Customer Care
  • Patsy,
    Thank you for replying but I've already emailed my information to Marlea W. twice and I haven't heard back yet.