Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    I see that you had planned on visiting your dealership last week - how did everything go?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • xiandexiande Posts: 1
    My 2011Chevy Equinox under 29,000 miles.
    I have the same problem like everyone else. Vehicle's engine stalled when i waiting for the traffic light. The same fault has occurred five times. Also the vehicle jumps and jerks often.
    I bring my car to the dealer today. They said it was a computer failure, then they reprogram engine module to fix it.
    I just worry that the same thing will happen again.
    Good morning xiande,

Hopefully the reprogramming will have taken care of it. If you encounter any further difficulties,please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com and we'd be happy to look into things further with you.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • smazzsmazz Posts: 3
    The dealership and GM took my defective 2011 back and gave me a 2012 V6 and so far it is fantastic. I drove one for a month as a loaner before making the decision to stick with the Equinox and have been pleasantly surprised and I am glad that GM made it right. My 2012 has a transmission made in the USA, not in Korea and it is a V6 not the 4 cyl I had before and it is like a totally different vehicle. :shades:
  • Has anyone experienced a problem with their air conditioner? Yesterday is was almost 90 in the NY area and with the air conditioner settings at max and the lowest possible temperature the vehicle never cooled off.
    Sending it to the dealership tomorrow, hopefully they can identify the problem and find the cause easily.
    I have been truly happy with my Equinox and I am really hoping this won't cause my opinion to change. :)
  • sppedracer...
    Do not be offended but did you remember to 'punch' the control to turn on the A/C... it should be lit up... I remember a couple of times last year where I somehow bumped the A/C off by accident.... Couldn't figure it out until I saw the control light wasn't on...
    Kind of the same topic... I have been quite displeased with the size and placement of the front dash vents. I can never seem to get them to actually blow on me for heat or cooling.
  • Oh no offense taken at all but yes punched it a few times to try to see if it would make a difference then perhaps punched it an extra time out of frustration :surprise:
    I agree with you also on the dash vents, for as large as they appear they don't seem to angle the air properly.
  • Hi, I have a 2010 Equinox and it is literally a hot mess.

I bought it brand new from a Chevy Dealer in May 2009. Several months into driving it, the lumbar air bag in the drivers seat popped... while driving. I am a 31 year old female and weigh 130 pounds.... not big enough to be popping seats I would hope.

A few months later, I turned my car on and you would have thought a family of cats were screaming under my hood. It was a grinding sound that woke the neighbors. I have read some forums below that mention this. I did take it in and they found this error through GM and GM is aware of this, but does not have a fix for it yet. They were kind enough to put me on the recall list for when they do. I wanted to see this GM list of issues for myself, so I logged on to my computer and after 2 hours of searching and hacking, I finally found this secret list on a GM/dealer site. It is huge and GM has it well hidden. Now, I haven't read all of the posts on this forum, so I could be a little outdated on the progress. However, the dealer where my car sits now says it is still unresolved. If you like, I can find this list and post the link.

Now the fun part. About a month ago I was driving and all tire lights came on. Went immediately and had them checked and they were fine. Dealer blamed the weather. Later that day my engine light came on, then turned off, then on again. For about 2 weeks, my dash looked like a lit Christmas tree. Then it completely stopped. (I'm sure it was the weather, right??). Then, my remote starter quit. Having had enough, I made an appt to have it looked at by the dealer. However, this past Monday morning, I was getting onto the interstate when my gears decided not to shift. So my car would not go over 30mph. Had there been a car or semi coming, I would have been demolished... with my 4 year old in the back seat. I immediately took it to Auto Zone, Midas, everyone I could think of (for second and third opinions) to have a diagnostic check. I was pretty sure it wasn't the weather. My car has 40 code errors. My favorite being that it thinks it is stolen. I was told that they have NEVER seen this many errors and that I was driving a potential death trap. They were also kind enough to write these codes down for me and their description. It was towed to the dealer immediately and for 3 days now, I have had no update because they do not know where to even begin to diagnose the problem to the starting issue. GM is aware of this and I have a service ticket with them. The rep is very on top of calling me, gave me a free rental, and is treating me like royalty. This means they know they have a problem.

I write software and know enough about computer systems to know that 1 flaw in the system can pretty much have a domino effect on the entire system. I also know that these errors can and will eventually also cause problems with the hardware (engine, power windows, brakes, whatever).

I am sure that GM is smart enough to know that just because they fix a broken sensor, or computer flaw, that there is no guarantee that it is completely fixed. They also know (or should) that the computer system that has been installed into these cars are the same system built for the every 2010 Equinox. Doesn't mean that everyone will have this issue, but it does mean that everyone is at risk of this defect spurring up at anytime. I can understand 1 or 2 errors, but 40?

GM needs to suck it up, take this as a lesson learned, own up to this, fix it, and take responsibility that there are a lot of people out there driving what could potentially be a 'deathtrap'.

I am stating what I believe needs to be known. I am not telling you my theories... these are facts. Take what you want from it and good luck

Thanks,
    Jaime
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I am no automotive engineer, but given the number and significance of issues with this vehicle, it's best to stay away from the Equinox. Simply put, these vehicles are so poorly engineered that the dealer can not fix them.
  • jaimej258jaimej258 Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    Right now my car sits at a Chevy Dealer and has been there since Monday. Everyday they have said there is no update for how to fix the below errors. Before taking it to the dealer, I took it to just about every place in town who runs diagnostic testing. I received the same results at every place even Chevy. I got a phone call from the dealer this afternoon that said after reviewing these errors, the GM technician has approved these errors and my car is safe to drive. Enjoy

You will have to copy and paste the full link....

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f9e3fed1e4d14127&id=F9E3FED1E4D14127!213#cid=F9- - E3FED1E4D14127&id=F9E3FED1E4D14127%21215&sc=documents

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f9e3fed1e4d14127&id=F9E3FED1E4D14127!213#cid=F9- - E3FED1E4D14127&id=F9E3FED1E4D14127%21216&sc=documents
  • I can't seem to be able to pull this information. I would love to read it. I, too, am having multiple problems with my 2011 equinox LT..
  • How? I have brought my 2011 to the dealer and many other placed, replacing oil constantly, every 1,000 miles. I am at my wit's end. Called my lawyer Friday, but do not have a reply yet.
    Should I try the dealer another time? Feel like I was ripped off or have a lemon or something. I really need help with this engine.
    Read to put in Mobil 1. No help. I have been treating this by going to an oil change center that will fill it up when low. I have to drive in all the time.
  • I am not happy with the fuel milage I am getting. My car just turned 15000 miles so break in peroid is OVER. I been reading other post from people who are fustrated as me with the fuel milage. I have the 4 cylinder front wheel drive 1 lt. :lemon: In snow forget about using this vehicle. I know its not 4 wheel drive but even when you shut the traction control off it still doesnt help. thats 1 problem. The other problem I had was a Knock sound coming from the motor with G M handled when I posted the problem on facebook thank you. It needed a computer update. Now back to the fuel issue since day 1 the on board computer says I am getting 19MPG. around 5000 it went to 19.4 at 10000 it went to 19.6 now at 15000 it says 19.7. I have read that GM says its the driving habits I say BULL. Just yesterday I had the cruise control on and the instant MPG reads 26 mpg at 55mph with the cruise on so no touching the gas pedal. For the most part the fuel MPG is all over the place but not one comment I have read says its getting the 23c 32h. At the time I purchased this I was looking at the Nissan Altima because it supposly has the same fuel ecomony. I really wish I bought that instead reading all the problem this model has. :sick:
  • The links come up with 'document deleted or you do not have permission', or a message saying 'something went wrong'
  • I had the same problems, as so many reported, with my 2011 Equinox. My dealer (Jimmy Britt Chevrolet of Greensboro, GA) corrected everything, however, knowing I went through so much, Jimmy Britt replaced my 2011 with a 2012 for $3000.00. My new Equinox is great and my local MPG is 27 mpg. I will be taking a trip to NC next week and will get a feel of Hwy. driving. I can't say enough about the great service, patience and courtesy I received from the Service Manager Ben Hicks.
  • ddidominicddidominic Posts: 2
    Dealer had my Equinox for a week and all seems to be resolved. I did email the service representative here and she was VERY helpful (Sarah).
    The dealer rep said that there were some Equinox's that were assembled incorrectly, but GM does not know which (not sure how this is possible) & mine was one of them. Timing belt issues, serpentine belt a bolt that was broken off in the engine.
    Somewhat irritated that I was charged for a $44 tire rotation that they had to do in coorespondance with engine noise, but that is all they charged for. Also, provided a rental.
  • cynthocnncynthocnn Posts: 1
    We live on Long Island, and we picked up our 2011 4 cyl. AWD Equinox in July of 2011. Since then we have had many trips back to dealer. Our first issues started 3 months in when then car would stall at low speeds, intersections, etc. We called the dealer and was told to bring car back. Then one day, I could not get the car to accelerate past 15 miles an hour without constantly stalling. Check engine light never came on. Fearing a potential accident waiting to happen, I called the dealer and demanded they send a tow truck to bring my car back as I was afraid to drive it. Turns out there was an outstanding open recall on my engine to fix the stalling problem, that was issued before my car was even driven off the lot?? How could they let me take a car with this potential dangerous situation. The supposed problem was fixed and off I went. Didn't last long. Now the car is back in dealership for the same problem so many are having. The transmission clunks, seems to loose power and hesitates on pulling out. There seems to be "dead spots" in the transmission. According to the dealer, they never heard of this problem..seriously?? The car also lurches forward when shifting gears. Now I have also developed a rattling noise from the front end on the right side, especially when making turns at low speed. Dealership says they cannot duplicate the problem. Aside from the car sounding like a diesel truck, rough start, rattling, hesitating, 18 MPG, the dealer says "its a great car"!! Really GM??
    My car is still at dealer as they are "checking into the problem"! This forum is filled with the same complaints and nothing it being done!!! Whats Up GM...bet you wouldn't put one of your wives or children in this dangerous car?? Looking into my next options with the dealer and GM.
    cynthocnn,

I'm sorry to read how you've had to make so many trips in to your dealership on this issue. If we can look into this further for you, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com : your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership with a description of recent visits you have made in for this concern.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rmr123rmr123 Posts: 1
    You guessed it another 2011 equinox v4 owner experiencing the same engine problems that i
    brought to the dealer 6 times and the cannot fix. I've been getting the run around from gm for months what a great way to treat a long time customer that currently owns to chevy vehicles.
    gm will contact me after several messages only to say the person handling my case has changed or there waiting for a response from the gm rep that i could never speak to. today they
    call me and say they are offering me a trade to purchase and to go to the dealer. she stated that
    i would get my msrp minus mileage and would have to pay taxes title and fees. when i asked her what does that mean would i get back the tax and fees i paid on my original purchase she
    said i dont know and just go to the dealer. wow really your offering me something that you
    have no idea about. It sounds like im going to the dealer it will cost me thousands to replace a
    vehicle that never worked right, was scared to drive and cost me renal fees Not to mention
    it doesn't get the gas mileage it advertised. ill let you know how this nightmare continues when i take a trip to the dealer .
  • rmiles63rmiles63 Posts: 3
    Apparently my 2011 Equinox is having some issues in shifting gears. It's been doing it occasionally almost since the day I bought it. Because of the break in time and the fact I don't drive it that much (less than 12K miles/year) I chalked it up to being a new car and the systems would improve as the car was driven more. I figured of the gas mileage was supposed to improve over the first few thousand miles (which it did), then the oddness in the gear shifting would work itself out (which it hasn't).

In fact, the problem has become steadily more noticeable. There's a lag or loss of power between gears in the lower numbers (1-3 or 4) most notably at gear 3 or 4. When accelerating, there's a sudden drop or loss in the gearing then a sudden engagement a moment later. It's not caused any accidents as I give myself plenty of lead time before pulling out; however, this isn't good. I don't know about mechanics, but I do know that this is NOT normal and it's not safe.

The car is just over a year old now and I've reported this to the dealer/service shop. Will be going in to see what they can do to resolve the issue. I see others have had some similar issues. If there's a defect, I hope it can be addressed quickly. I am rather quite pleased with my car otherwise. It's comfortable and secure and while not a sports car, it's a pleasure to drive on long trips.

My 2011 Equinox is my first American car in decades, so of course I'm a little grumbly that this issue is happening. I was a Honda consumer for years because of their excellent quality and I never once had a problem. With all the economic chaos of the last 5 years, I wanted to give a US car company a chance again. I'd heard good things about the Equinox and when I test drove it, I was sold on the comfort, leg room and safety. I am counting on GM to help me through this - I took a big leap of faith and I'm crossing my fingers!