Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• I have contacted Kent Scott, I did not realize he was at the same dealership my car is at. I am hoping to get my issues resolved and my car back. Time of course will tell. Thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,115
    mr2dispatch,
    Please let me know how things go for you. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • islaguyislaguy Posts: 19
    Hi sumr616

I also have been dealing with the same startup racket in my 2011 Terrain.The Terrain went in for repairs and work was done with the cam phasors,threee days later the racket was back.Car is now again at the dealers and I got a call from them Friday after dropping the car off Thursday that they are waiting on GM.

">link title

2nd time

link title
  • Hey everyone,

After reading everyone's issues, I'm having the same ones. I bought my car April 1, 2011 and started to have issues around mid-May, at the time I only had 2800 miles on the car. The issue started as a loud rattling noise when I started the Equinox up. I took it to the dealership and they came back with it was faulty phasers; so they replaced the camshaft position exhaust actuator, bolts, filter, and oil. All these things got replaced on June 10, 2011. Got my car back and everything seemed great. I went out yesterday(6/11/10) to get some coffee and the car stalled out FOUR times, I didn't even get out of my neighborhood! When the car stalled out, no warning lights came on..it just stalled out. So the car is getting towed to the shop this morning. I'm worried the shop won't be able to replicate the issue like some people have already stated. :(
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm definitely worried that this is going to turn into an on-going issue...
  • norbnancynorbnancy Posts: 118
    I have 9121 miles on my 2011 4-cylinder. It does everything the way it should plus it is quieter than my 08 Impala LTZ. My brother has a simular Terrain with no problems and has more than 13000 miles. If I needed to, I would buy anouther tomorrow.
    Makes me feel much better that some people do not have to go through what alot of us do.I hope to say the same thing ONE day.
  • arveejayarveejay Posts: 9
    I would feel much better if I had received one of the engines that were properly assembled with non defective parts. It also would have been nice if I could have just driven and enjoyed the new car without having to keep taking it back for a repair that nobody knows how to fix.
    Yea,my second time back to the dealers for the same situation and so far it has been there 7 days this time and 5 days first time.Spoke with Dealer yesterday late and the word was they tightened the compressor which was loose to the block,cleaned and inspected selonoids and changed oil.So you would figure car was done....right?...well so far no call today and half the day is over.More problems????????
  • alois69alois69 Posts: 3
    I too have had the infamous 3 second "Death Rattle" upon starting. I only have 1300 miles on the LTZ and I am disheartened since I had a bad 6 months with a bad Chevy Cruze. Anything we can do to prevent future occurrences? Change Oil? Have the engine examined by my dealer? Must they hear the noise? Since there seems to be a pattern of this engine startup noise issue, with the cam, why not replace the potential defective parts?? Thanks and wish me luck. GM has drained me of thousands of dollars, since I was out of equity in my Cruze, I had to pay big time to get rid of the transmission nightmare.
    arveejay,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Has your dealer involved technical assistance? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I suggest you get it to your Dealer right away.You may want to take a look at this forum and see others with the same issues and the process they are going through...me included.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=2834.0
  • sumr616sumr616 Posts: 90
    Get it to your dealer- asap. Refer them to bulletin #PIP4716a. This bulletin specifically discusses this noise and that the very LEAST they should do is replace the "cam phase actuators"...it also goes on to say they should also check the cam phase actuators AND the solenoids for debris, and also check the solenoids for loose or torn screens. IF debris is found, they are required to change oil and filer, covered by warranty. However, if debris is not found, they are not required to do so. In my case, no debris was found, they replaced the cam phase actuators and said that it was caused by an electrical failure since they found no debris in the oil.

Others that have had only the cam phase actuators replaced with no oil change have had the noise start again after a few days or few hundred miles. MY reccomendation (also what I did)- if they decide they don't need to change your oil, have it changed anyways! Make sure to use 5w30 that is "dexos" approved. I used Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30. It has been almost a week since the repair has been done and oil/filter has been changed, and so far, so good. No scary noise on start-up and mileage has returned to normal.

Since it is a random occurence, not every time, the BIGGEST thing you can do to help your case is to catch the noise on video! Record it with your phone. The dealer had my car for 4 days, heard the noise once but only one guy heard it and they didn't know where to start looking and couldn't replicate it again. I recorded it on my phone and took it back a few days later, they listened to the recording and acknowledged that it was, in fact, a bad noise. (DUH!)

Good luck! Be politely persistent! MAKE SURE you ask if they check the solenoids for debris, etc., as the bulletin states. My dealership didn't do this until I asked, I had to ask about every step of the bulletin for them to even COMPLETE the full work. Hold them to every word of the bulletin (google PIP4716a to find a copy)!
  • fast200fast200 Posts: 3
    Is there any place to look up this bulletin and get the printout? I looked online and couldn't find it.

I think I heard this noise in my week old Equinox (200 miles).
    Subject: Sharp Engine Rattle Noise At Start Up

Models: 2011 Buick Regal
    2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse
    2009-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
    2010-2011 Chevrolet Equinox
    2009-2011 Chevrolet HHR
    2009-2011 Chevrolet Malibu
    2010-2011 GMC Terrain
    2009-2010 Pontiac G5
    2009-2010 Pontiac G6
    2009-2010 Pontiac Solstice
    2009-2010 Saturn Aura
    2009-2010 Saturn Sky
    2009-2010 Saturn Vue Equipped with the following engines
    2009-2010 2.0L (RPO LNF)
    2009-2011 2.2L (RPO LAP/LE8)
    2009-2011 2.4L (RPO LE5/LE9/LAT/LAF)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This PI was superseded to update models, years. Please discard PIP4716.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    In rare instances a technician may comment they hear a short, sharp rattle noise from the front of the engine on start up.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    If the noise is from the front accessory drive area, inspect the engine belt. We have seen concerns with engine belts causing a loud ticking type noise. If found, verify power steering pulley outer edge is aligned flush with shaft and repair as needed. If pulley alignment is correct replace the engine belt.

If the noise is still present and is very short and sharp in duration (2-5 seconds). This may be an issue with the cam phasers not parking properly. Once the noise is verified as the phasers, they must be replaced. If the cam phasers are replaced, remove the CMP actuator solenoids to inspect for debris. If debris is found clean and inspect for torn or loose screens and replace if necessary.

Note: If debris is found in the solenoids and phasers change the oil and filter before returning to service, in some instances it may be necessary to change the oil/filter multiple times with a test drivein between each. The filter and solenoids can be inspected afterwards to ensure no additional debris is present.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information. WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
    Also, so you HEAR a confirmed example, there are at least two videos on YouTube of the noise (one is from me). On YouTube, search "equinox noise start-up" and you should be able to find them.

Good luck!!
  • alois69alois69 Posts: 3
    Made an appointment for the 2.5 engine start up noise, the talk of this town. I showed the Service Manager the Service Bulletin and he smiled shrugged his shoulders and said, "Wow never heard of that problem". That was that! I had my oil changed at 1350 miles and the car of course did not make the noise when started. It seems that the head in the sand attitude is the order of the day. I will monitor my vehicle and keep track of any further noises. At least I took the only measure I knew of to prevent any future issues, IF the oil change has any impact.
    From what I've read, oil changes DO make a difference, but it also depeds on how bad yours is so far. If your mpg is significantly reduced, and you hear the noise again, I'd take it in. And get it recorded if you can. Whatever happens, just make sure they make a note of it for warranty's sake.
  • fast200fast200 Posts: 3
    Thanks islaguy. I noticed you said the old PIP code should be discarded. What is the new one?
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,277
    same number, with an 'A' on the end . PIP4716A
    alois69,
    Please keep me updated on your situation. I too hope the oil change works for you. Feel free to email me with any further questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    fast200,
    I recommend having the vehicle looked at by your local GM dealer. If they are unable to diagnose and resolve your concerns please feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    blackedoutnox,
    Please let me know how things go at the dealer. If the dealer is unable to address your concerns please let me know. You could also ask they involve technical assistance. I look forward to your update.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    islaguy,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us posted on any updates.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    edited June 2011
    Caron,
    I picked up my Terrain yesterday 6-15-11 after it being at the Dealers for 8 days concerning this startup issue.The first repair work was done 5-23,24,25,26 and 27 2011.On the third start after these repairs the same exact racket was back!This is now twice with the same issue and no positive results .I have been living with this for over a month now.It seems to me that nobody knows what the cause or fix is after all of this time.So this will be my third time back with NO results!
  • I have a claim into GM but they are unable to help me. Does anyone know who I can call to help me with an accident due to problems with my transmission? Thank you.
    Hey, I know in Texas the lemon law is 3 failed repairs for the same problem. This time when you take it in, tell them they are dancing the fine line of having to go through a lemon case.
    islaguy,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Thanks but no thanks Caron,been there done that.I will do just fine on my own.
  • avg823avg823 Posts: 9
    I have a 2011 Equinox LS that I bought in January. It stalled a few weeks ago, so I took it in for that to be fixed along with a laundry list of other issues that I have had. The mechanic addressed four different codes that popped up and some of the problems have gone away. However, the car makes a terrible grinding noise on a cold start. He was unable to duplicate. In addition, when I come to a stop, the car rocks back and forth at least 5 or 6 times. This can not be normal. Does anyone else have this issue? Wait...there is more. When driving with the A/C on, I get a loud hissing noise that occurs about every 10 seconds. The mechanic claimed that it was normal. Well, I have a co-worker that drives the exact same model. This noise is definitely not normal. Also, I occasionally get a drumming noise from underneath the car when I stop. It is a rhythmic thumping that starts off slow, then becomes more rapid before suddenly stopping after about 15 seconds. By the way, my car has 3,500 miles. Thanks GM. If anyone has had a similar experience with any of the above issues, please let me know. Thanks so much.
  • ronwelronwel Posts: 57
    I have a 2010 Equinox 1LT and I have the exact same "drumming" noise. If I stop for about 10-15 seconds I start to hear a thumping noise...just like you describe. If I slowly creep forward...it goes away....when I stop again...it comes back. It does not matter if it is cold, hot, A/C on or off. I mentioned this to my dealership several times and the can not find anything. They tell me that it might just be body flexing....

I checked and there is no fluid leaking. Just a weird thump noise.

I have the grind on a cold startup...the car almost feels like it is back-firing. I was told this was normal.

I don't get a hissing with my A/C...but it seems to shut on and off every 10-15 seconds.

Nice to know that I'm not going insane...