Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• Look carefully around the vehicle you will see it also go to a dealership and look at the white equinox they even have it
  • Go to google search 2011 equinox with rust go to equinox forum and see the thread of complaints I'm there also remember us people have to stick together on Tuesday I will be speaking to the manager at GM Canada about this it's like a joke for them not to stand by there product
  • jujudjujud Posts: 9
    Tony, I will look tomorrow in daylight and let you know. Plan on taking it by dealership after reading about all these latest updates. I have not been actually on this site in a while. I read the one Edmonds automatically sends me. I can't even find my posts I wrote beginning June '11 because there have been soooo many since then over this past year!! Is there way you can see all your own posts?
  • Yes it's easier in the sunlight I forgot to say but you should have it on your vehicle I have the rust spots on all 4 sides of the vehicle really noticeable in the back even the plastic bumper has it on mine let me know as I have these updates as they are written go to my phone this is how I reply so fast I'm from Toronto Canada how about yourself? I'm trying to get together with someone from this forum but have had no luck please let me know if you have but go to a dealership and look at the white equinox on the lot I mean the new vehicles and you will see it for yourself Keep me up to date thanks
  • jujudjujud Posts: 9
    Ok......I am from North Carolina
  • To see your posts click on your name or the person you want to see
  • I am in Virginia and have not YET seen rust on my silver Equinox. I have had engine work done, because it kept cutting off. My gas mileage is 24MPG and that is mostly around town, as I don't fully trust it on long trips. This has been a really bad situation, considering I trust my 2007 Mazda for long road trips, more than my 2011 Chevy!

My dealership has been very helpful in making repairs, but they are the reason I'm in this situation in the first place. I asked the salesman, "have you had any problems with this 4cyl. engine?", he said "not a single problem". [non-permissible content removed], and if I can prove there was a previous communication within that dealership... then I will request some compensation. It's sad to me, as i was a longtime GM fan.
  • It's more visible on the white ones and for long road trips you can trust it, it performs very well on the hiway last road trip I got 35.6 mpg it's only low speeds where it drives like crap
  • I am in Virginia and have not YET seen rust on my silver Equinox. I have had engine work done, because it kept cutting off. My gas mileage is 24MPG and that is mostly around town, as I don't fully trust it on long trips. This has been a really bad situation, considering I trust my 2007 Mazda for long roadtrips, more than my 2011 Chevy!

My dealership has been very helpful in making repairs, but thay are the reason I'm in this situation in the first place. I asked the salesman, "have you had any problems with this 4cyl. engine?", he said "not a single problem". Total "BS" and if I can prove there was a previous communication about these problems and within that dealership... then I will request some compensation. It's sad to me, as I was a longtime GM fan. Ihope they (GM) decide to make this right.
  • dhoff457dhoff457 Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    Agreed, cars today are generally more durable and last well beyond the old 100,000 mile standard but the bar was awfully low in the past. Companies like Toyota and Honda have been building cars to high standards for 30 years - the U.S. manufacturers are still playing catch up.

And they're not there yet; before my 2011 Equinox, I last bought an American car in 1995, a (highly-rated) Ford Taurus. I had ongoing issues and swore off American cars until deciding to give Chevy a chance; my fault, I should have learned - since purchasing it in June, I've had some big problems (car shutting off while traveling on a highway at 60 mph) and continuous small ones. I've owned 7 Toyotas, Nissan's and Hondas - all were nicely designed, ran well and held their resale value.

I don't care what they advertise or what the reviewers say - this time, I'll keep to my word; the Equinox will be the last Big Three car I buy.
  • sol556sol556 Posts: 1
    2011 Equinox LTZ 4 cyl AWD ~1900 miles on odom.
    With 750 mi. on it the following brake failure transpired:
    At approx. 25 mph I applied moderate braking and nothing happened..no slowing. There was normal pedal drop to a rock hard pedal, with no bleed-off. I then released and reapplied full hard press. and got the same response..no slowing. I then released and applied quick hard pumping press. and the brakes finally started to work normally. Total lapsed time was ~5 sec.

I reported this to the dealer, NTSHA and FTC. The dealer couldn't find a problem. When I reported problem to The BBB AUTO LINE I got a response back along with phone calls to me. That caused a response from GM Business Resource Center. That got local District Rep. and District Tech. to check-out the brake system. Long story short ...ZIP...NADA...NOTHING. I your not ready to go thru Arbatration and probably court it's a waste of much time and effort. Boycot GM products. They are too big to fail..HaHa.
  • i to have had the same problem as most of you had. The camshaft accuator went first. A week later the timing chain accuator and timing chain need to be replaced. My neighbor works at Roush and told me this will be a continuing problem. I will most certainly get rid of this 2011 Equinox before the 100k warranty runs out!
  • Good morning trackdad38,

How has everything been running since you replaced the camshaft actuator, timing chain actuator, and timing chain? Do you have any continuing concerns?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I took my Equinox in today because of the same problems I have read here: Car stalls (luckily while stopped) and it lurches forward while shifting from 1st to 2nd gears.

The plugged the car in and got a P0011 code and said that my oil was low and it was the oil pressure. Nothing else.

I change the oil myself and follow the guide for the oil life and still have 62% left on this change, but they said I need to change the oil. They also doubted that I put enough oil in when I changed it. I used a 5qt jug and put the whole thing in...the car is burning/losing oil somehow.

Going to try topping off the oil and see if the problem persists. Going to get a 2nd opinion too, since this dealer has an F rating with the BBB.
  • Good afternoon mjholman01,

We're sorry to hear about the shifting concern you're having with your Equinox. If we can check into anything regarding this situation, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information so we can update our system and open a service request for you: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• Our 2012 Equinox 4 cylinder hold 6 qt oil. So maybe you are not putting a nuff in on oil change. :blush:
  • So glad I ran upon this website. Thought the problems we were having was something we was going have to just live with. Never once have we been told that our problem with noisy start up was a ongoing problem with other vehicles. Bought on May 14, 2011, 3 weeks later returned to dealership due to noise when starting car. Tech wrote on paper mispositioned need realignment. Code 314- diagnostic scan &R&I&R starter and reposition and torque bolts. Sorry over a year ago and not for sure exactly what they did. Continued making noise, finally when took it in for oil change on Sept. 1, 2011 mentioned the noise again. Told there was a recall and needed to reprogram engine control module. It was maybe better for a while, but kept getting louder till it sounded like a diesel sarting up. Like I said, just thought it was maybe normal. finally took it back before going on vacation on Aug. 2, 2012. They replaced water pump and balance shaft timing chain, tensioner, crank shaft balancer bolt and cam shaft acuator bolts. Did not help. Returned it on 9-7-12. Ordering parts to be put on next week. Not real optismistic that this a going to help. Along with this problem also had issue with static/vibration coming from either dash or front passenger door. Took 4 trips for them to narrow down that it was the speaker in front passenger door. Replaced speaker and has been fine since. At times noticed a slight hesitation when giving gas after being stopped. I thought it was just not having foot on pedal good, but maybe this is the stalling issue some of having. Bought because I needed a car with good gas mileage, due to driving 80 miles round trip 5 days/week to work. Only managed 26.5 mpg with 34,000 miles. Not what they stated. Really disappointed in this vechicle. Really would love to trade this in, but will I get the true value once they see all the problems I have had with it. Do think GM should compensate owners who have continuely had problems.
  • Good morning wbjgreen,
    We're sorry that this noise has been so difficult to track down! If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us the following information at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, your phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• Hello, just wanted to start a thread about the 2013 Equinox and would like to get driving impressions, gas mileage, likes/dislikes, fwd or awd etc.

Thanks. :)
  • Well, here we are in September of 2012 and my vehicle has been back in the shop at least 3 times since may for the same issue as I stated before with the noise during start-up. GM is involved now but I'm pretty much fed up. Its time to provide me with a new vehicle.