Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• whitneyleewhitneylee Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    I have a 2011 Equinox. I purchased it with a salvage title; however, it only had cosmetic damage before I bought it. In the past six months, it has sporadically not started about 5-6 times. There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason to when it does not start, and it has never happened twice in a row. When this happens, I'll turn the key and all lights will come on inside like normal, but instead of starting, only a clicking noise will be made. If I keep turning the key, the clicking noise will eventually turn to a noise that sounds more and more like the car is going to start, and then eventually it starts (it usually takes about 15 minutes of turning the key for it to finally start). Then, it doesn't happen again for about 3 weeks to a month. Today, however, it happened, and the battery went dead in the process of me trying get it started (i.e. while I was turning the key). It took much longer than the normal 15 minutes and even then the car didn't start and the battery died instead. I jump-started the vehicle, and then it started right up. The "check engine" light has also come on this time (it has never come on after previous times when I had issues starting the vehicle), but because of the holidays most places are closed so I don't know what the light is on for yet. Has anyone had this issue? If so, what was the problem? It seems like it could be a bad battery, but my gut feeling is that a bad battery is too simple of a problem!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,004
    Good morning whitneylee,
    We're sorry that you're having these starting troubles with your Equinox. What is your game plan for getting this looked into? If you were thinking about working with a dealership and wanted for us to check into anything further, we're available to you. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • About the not starting issue: They replaced the camshaft intake thing that was sticking open. Then they replaced the stretch bolts at valve assembly, but reported they replaced the valve assembly. Who knows what they really did, but replace valve assembly shows on CarFax report. Within 4 days of all that work, i went out to start it, and it wouldn't start. I called and pitched a Texas red-headed hissy fit and they finally sent someone to try and jump it off. Transferred me to Service Mgr in the process, and he again started in on Premium Brand of gas and using Eco (because it causes the car to drive differently...I call BS). I told him they replaced problems found, and now it won't start. Nothing left ON in the car...no doors ajar. It just wouldn't start. The service adviser had me put my phone on speaker and let him listen. He said it might be the timing had stretched out. Said it happens sometimes when they do the repairs they did. I got it jumped, had it tested somewhere else with no codes returned, and promptly drove to Honda and traded it in on a Pilot EX. Best decision ever. Check to see if timing is involved. Mine was just that the battery lost power for some unknown reason.
  • blb45blb45 Posts: 2
    My 2011 Equinox downshifts into fourth when manual shift is selected at highway speed. This seems unusual and is probably unsafe, however a service representative at the dealership said it is normal and there is no way to reprogram the transmission to stop it from downshifting every time I shift into manual. Do you know how to deal with this issue?
  • The service rep is correct. It's in the owner's manual and shop manual. Why do you find it necessary to drive an automatic transmission in the manual mode at highway speeds?
  • blb45blb45 Posts: 2
    Thanks bob2560 for your input. Manual shifting to a lower gear is useful on downward slopes instead of applying the brakes. Of several GM models with this kind of transmission that I have driven, this is the only one preset to downshift into fourth. I hoped for a software upgrade to reprogram the transmission. blb45
  • ronwelronwel Posts: 57
    edited January 2013
    "TipTronic" shifting: It is a gear range selector. You can not pick a specific gear to drive in...just the range of gears. You can change the range by using the "+" and "-" toggle.

From the manual:

Manual Mode
    Electronic Range Select (ERS) Mode

ERS or manual mode allows for the selection of the range of gear positions. Use this mode when driving downhill or towing a trailer to limit the top gear and vehicle speed.
    The shift position indicator within the Driver Information Center (DIC) will display a number next to the M indicating the highest available gear under manual mode and the driving conditions when manual mode was selected.

To use this feature:
    1. Move the shift lever to M(Manual Mode).
    2. Press the plus/minus button on the shift lever, to increase or decrease the gear range available.
    When shifting to M(Manual Mode), the transmission will shift to a preset lower gear range. For this preset range, the highest gear available is displayed next to the M in the DIC.
    See Driver Information Center (DIC) on page 5-24 for more information.
    All gears below that number are available to use. For example, when 4 (Fourth) is shown next to the M, 1 (First) through 4 (Fourth) gears are shifted automatically. To shift to 5 (Fifth) gear, press the + (Plus) button or shift into D (Drive).
    M(Manual Mode) will prevent shifting to a lower gear range if the engine speed is too high. If vehicle speed is not reduced within the time
    allowed, the lower gear range shift will not be completed. Slow the vehicle, then press the - (Minus) button to the desired lower gear
    range.
    While using the ERS, cruise control can be used.
  • roykulproykulp Posts: 52
    A salvage title is not due to only cosmetic damage; the vehical was found to be a total loss by last owners insurance carrier in another state or country ie Flood, Fire Etc.
  • Posted in December about all my issues with my 2011 Nox. Took it in, again. After they drove it and used a lot of my gas, they couldn't find a problem. Don't know why it stalled or why it hesitates after stopping. Since then.... It continues to hesitate (not a good feeling when pulling out into traffic with your children in the back seat) and now it just decides not to crank. Oh wait... Now it cranks.... Oh well now it won't. Can you feel my frustration. My interpretation of what Dealership told me is... We won't be able to fix it until it breaks down. What a great idea for a working mom with two children. Can't wait to trade this in. We will lose money, but I can't keep doing this. I can't afford this vehicle and its problems. Very disappointed!
  • I can't imagine why GM would not want to make us all happy and stop the bleeding. They don't seem to get it! The social media highway is getting wider and the sound of traffic stronger. GM is walking in the middle of the road, and they have their backs to the headlights!
  • Took Nox in again. They have ordered a fuel pump module. I am def not a car expert, but I don't see how that has anything to do with the stabilitrak and steering service lights that came on after not cranking. It sound more like the problem I was having the entire 2012 year that they could never figure out. (Or were they just putting it off? makes me wonder) Who knows. Goal for this week= trade it in and start over with something other than a Chevy.
  • Let us know what you get on the trade-in. You would thnk GM/Chevrolet would start doing a financial analysis on what this is costing them in non-billable resources. Or is obsolesence now buid into the cost of building a car.

GM - wake up!
  • suevensueven Posts: 79
    I will do everything in my power to make sure any person I come in contact with for the rest of my life will never buy another GM product. My truck is at the dealer as we speak getting a new engine.. this is not what I signed up for when leasing this vehicle....The offer of the day was 2000 credit towards another one of their pieces of crap.....just terminate they lease and move on.....
    Social media here I come - it will be my life long duty to make sure every one with an Equinox is made aware of the engine problem and demand action!!!
  • nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    WOW...I have had some issues as well; owned my 2010 4cyl 50000 mi Nox for the last 40 months and I'm really rather pleased with this SUV and Dealer service. Bashing GM will not solve your vehical issues; be glad you have a warranty; JUST LET GM Dealer make repairs. I have not had one issue getting "MY" Warranty repairs made to my Nox and Always offered a "free" loaner at the Dealer.....I have a difficult time understanding why some consumers have such outragious "service issues" with these GM warranty issues / matters. Being said; I will purchase my 2nd Chevy Nox when the 2014 Equniox hits the street this fall; this is a safe vehical smart purchase for the money!
    I would agree except this vehicle is unsafe and has left me stranded with my kids.... next stop class action law suit! Only saving grace is responsive service department,,,,,I am luckier than most! 10 more months until I can give the piece of crap back - hopefully I dont get killed from now til then. Any one interested in starting a class action law suit?
    They offered me a lousy 2000 credit towards another one of their pieces of crap....
    any interest in starting a class action law suit? Only takes 3 of us....
    My truck is getting a new engine - what new car needs a new engine after 45k miles? Own up to this design flaw and let people out of their leases or provide replacements for those who bought this piece of junk!!
    So much for buying american - my lifes goal - to tell everyone I know to stay away from GM!!!
  • keyshakeysha Posts: 2
    Hi I'm having some of the same problems I have a 2011 with only 17,700 miles. My car cut off 3 times while I was driving the vehicle is jerking while driving and it's making a loud noise. I took it to the dealer and they told me I need a Timing chang and 2 valves for a new car? I would like to be in on this law suite as well.
  • sma1sma1 Posts: 20
    I would definitely be interested in a class action law suit! I traded and all they gave me was $3000... my2011 equinox was consuming oil and stalling along with other numerous problems. My truck had been in the shop numerous times and they couldnt figure out what was wrong. It took the right mechanic to notice durning an oil change that there was only a quart of oil in my truck. They were going to put a new motor in it. I did not want a new vehicle that had been ripped to pieces. Not what I signed up for. I was 18 months into the vehicle. I put $1500 cash down too. So in the long run I was almost $10, 000 paid out on this vehicle between my down payment and monthly payments. NowmI'm starting all over with a new loan. I hate GM. I can not believe they get away with this because this is a serious problem.They are making money doing this to people. And we are the ones loosong big $$$$ BECAUSE THEY THROW THAT VEHICLE BACK ON THE LOT AND SCREW THE NEXT PERSON. My story goes on and on so I will stop here.
  • keyshakeysha Posts: 2
    Hi I'm having some of the same problems I have a 2011 with only 17,700 miles. My car cut off 3 times while I was driving the vehicle is jerking while driving and it's making a loud noise. I took it to the dealer and they told me I need a Timing chang and 2 valves for a new car? I would like to be in on this law suite as well.
  • skeet7skeet7 Posts: 10
    I'm building a case and would love to hear your experience with your Nox?