Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• nox123nox123 Posts: 76
    GM has a newer computor update for the oil change module / idiot gauge. This should help encourage owners to change oil at the appropriate time. I have been changing my oil ever 3500 to 4000 miles at gm dealer since inception. To date my 2010 Nox has 52000 miles with no internal consumption or engine issues. These engines run very hot, old dirty broken down oil will most defintly cause unnessary internal engine wear! a
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    2011chevygirl,
    If you would like for us to document that you are having these concerns and follow up with your dealership on any recent visits, we're happy to do so. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • lynn85lynn85 Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    When I thought i was getting a Reliable vehicle, I was wrong, I was driving with "No" oil in my 2011 Equinox... No warning lights nothing, my husband heard some loud noise coming from the car we check the oil first... hey there is NONE.... NO oil LEAKS in my driveway,I called to ask why this would happen to a year old vehicle the kid told me "we will have to do a oil monitor test come back every 1000 miles to check why this is happening...WE ALL KNOW WHY... THIS VEHICLE HAS A BAD ENGINE.... and GM is now mailing out a letter to do a software update for the oil life monitor system,so that means I have to go for more oil changes cause they dont know how to fix the problem.. Im very sorry I even bought this vehicle, this will be the last CHEVY we buy. I have my appointment to go, now let the bull#$^$ start, Cant wait to here what excuses they tell me.. very upset with this what NEW vehicle runs out of oil..and im always on time w/ the changes...
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    lynn85, There seems to be some confusion about the letter. It does not address the oil consumption problem at all. The oil consumption test will help determine if your engine is one of the bad ones , If yours is one of them it will likely result in new engine to correct problem.
    How many miles do you drive between oil changes and how many miles are on your 4cyl nox. The oil monitor was never intended for using as a fuel gauge. it shows percentage of oil life and readings under 50% are not particulary good for the Engine; oil should be changed at 5000 mile or even less depending on driving habits. I'm surprised GM dose not have a regimented proceedure for changing oil due to owners that are challanged mechanically.
    lynn85,
    We're sorry that you've encountered this situation with your new Equinox. I see that you do have an appointment set to go in - if you would like for us to stay with you through this process, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • My 2011 is going in on Monday for the cold start up noise issue. I'll post up next week to fill you guys in on what the deal is. Just for the record, I don't think I need an "oil change" warning light/message that I know of. I change my oil about every 5 or 6 K, and use a top grade synthetic oil and this has always worked for me. I check it regular too.So far, I like my Equinox. We'll see what the future holds. Sort of like the air pressure message, I think I can keep up with that one too. The message to me is just a, well a message. You can go the common since route on that as well.
  • jingles99jingles99 Posts: 13
    Hi all, don't know if anyone else in the Philly area has received a letter from Lemon Law. Com This was an unsolicited letter from them, asking me to contact them regarding my Equinox. Apparently they are aware of the chronic problems with the 4 cylinder. I intend on contacting them, as I have had the vehicle stall several times, as well as the horrible start up noise, that doesn't go away. I had it in for service three times, of course they couldn't correct the problem, but they did change the timing belt/chain, saying it was bad. It is a 4 cyclliner. Vehicle still makes the horrible start up noise, and on occasion gets to the point of stalling out, but doesn't.
    I too received the software update letter, the same day the lemon lawyer mailed me. I think I will contact these attorneys to see what they can do. :(
  • I loved mine too, until at 4000 miles it started breaking down. All my services are done by the dealer and I ALWAYS keep it maintained. Oil changes between 3000 and 5000 miles. And it's common sense.
  • sma1sma1 Posts: 20
    Fyi... don't change your own oil as you will void your warranty.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,952
    edited March 2013
    I think it's okay to change your own oil but save all your receipts (with the brand and weight, etc. noted) and it wouldn't hurt to take photos of the oil jugs and filters. (tie-in sales )
  • FYI, sma1, no it doesn't void your warranty to change your own oil.
    WHY would anyone making a $25,000 investment for a new vehical NOT USE GM Dealer for a 5000 mile service to change oil, filters and service vehical ??? We Ara talking about a $39.00 insurance policy for maintaining you new vehical!
    Excellent let everyone know how you make out! In addition, how many miles are on your 4cyl Nox and how often do you have oil & filter changed at GM dealer? This would help seperate you from owners that might not maintain or service their 4cyl Nox at GM Dealer.
  • sma1sma1 Posts: 20
    @zzrCharlie... did you see the response from the gm host. .. saying to save your receipts and to take pictures of the jugs, etc? Pictures...really! This is exactly why I said you shouldn't change your own oil. ..gm will look for every loophole to get out of replacing a motor. Even a receipt is not good enough proof when all is said and done. . My motor was consuming oil. ..I guarantee you they would have tried to blame me if I hadn't had all maintenance done by the dealer. In my opinion. .. better safe than sorry!
    edited March 2013
    Some of us prefer to change our own oil and try to only use the dealer for warranty work. YMMV. (And I'm not with GM btw. :shades: ).
    Changing own engine oil & Filters makes no sense in 2013. Unless you have a fleet of vehicals; good documentation for all service done in you own shop and properly dispose of waste oil and filters which is classified "Hazardous Waste" by the EPA. Bottom line; if you really want hold a car dealers feet to fire for "drive line warrenty" protection" let dealer service vehical as recomended in your warranty.
    edited March 2013
    The closest dealer to me is 45 miles away and it's not my brand (although it is a GM dealer). Funny, but the closest hazmat place is only 35 miles away (and it takes waste oil free). I'm two hours from a dealer that would do warranty work on my rides.

Or I can use one of the two local garages if I decide to quit doing it myself.

If a manufacturer gives me flack about warranty work, I know How to Effectively Complain about your Car Problem. That includes complaining via social media and writing the FTC if my always cogent arguments don't initially make them see the light. :shades:
    We hope your visit goes well today, zzrcharlie, and will keep an eye on the thread for updates. If you should need anything in the meantime, we can be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • Got Equinox back today with all recall/warranty stuff completed. As far as this changing my own oil thing that some of you keep busting my b***s over, I have been changing the oil in my own cars for almost 40 years and have never been concerned about a warranty issue as far as this is concerned. As far as getting a dealer to perform all of my service work, no thanks. I have not had the 2011 'Nox long enough to perform any service work. All of the recall/warranty repairs I had done were partly because of the previous owners neglect and because the car is still in warranty. Do dealers know the car better than I do? Sure they do, but I can do some of the service work to the car without depending on them for everything. Warranty work is all theirs, oil changes and other minor things,some of us can do on our own.