Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

Comments

• Received the same letter after trying for months to figure out why my 2010 Equinox would rough idle at red lights and smelled like gasoline constantly. My entire high pressure fuel pump was replaced like many others that own these vehicles. Since then have been to the Chevy dealership twice more in the same month. They keep band aiding problems. Only had the vehicle for couple months and have had nothing but issues. Most unreliable vehicle I have ever bought! Registered a case for lemon laws, if that doesn't work sending it through the auction and dumping it.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    edited October 2013
    Have you contacted GM directly and opened up a "case number" with this vehicle? It is VERY important to document everything! ------- This issue is equivalent to the "sludge issue" that Toyota had in the past with their engines related to extended oil and filter changes. Toyota recommended "high mileage oil and filter changes," and when their engines suffered from "sludge problems" they blamed the owners of the vehicle for the engine damage. -- This is why I change my oil and filter in both my 2007 Camry and 2010 Malibu every 2,500 miles instead of the recommended 5,000 miles and YES, I use an oil additive BG / MOA. (So far both engines are VERY clean!) ------ Chrysler is no different. They also had a "sludge issue" with the 2.7 engine. ------ Ford also had an issue with spark plugs blowing out of their holes in the head of the engine. ----- What is common to all of these issues is that "somehow" it is always the "owner of the vehicle" who suffers from the problem either through "inconvenience or financially!" ---- In the case of Ford, the spark plug issue was caused by a problem with the spark threads cut into the head of the engine. The spark plug would work lose and rock in the threaded hole and destroy the internal threads, and then eventually blow out of the cylinder head. Since Ford does not warranty spark plugs it was decided that the owner of the vehicle was responsible for the repair. The "correct fix for this issue" was to install a steel sleeve in the spark plug hole of the head, and then install the spark plug into the steel sleeve. This required the removal of the head and machine shop work! ----- Don't you just LOVE big car manufacturers! ----- You can be sure that the "Suits of GM" are monitoring this board to get a feel of customer opinion! ------ All the best! -------- Dwayne
  • lsmithhartlsmithhart Posts: 21
    edited October 2013
    I am still driving my 2011 "nox", because it is worth very little in trade and nobody wants to buy it. I have no confidence in this vehicle and can't wait to go back to Mazda or Honda. I made a mistake, I wanted to believe "American made" was back. GM has no respect for the customers, they are protecting the investors. In the long run, the buyers will wise up and reject their junk. My Nox had engine work around 5000 and transmission work around 15000 miles. We have roadside assistance to get us off the road, and GM has repaired it each time, but really, engine work at 5000 miles? It has stalled out in bad neighborhoods and needed to be towed! My wife can only drive it to work and the store, close to home.

GM SHOULD be ashamed. They SHOULD be fixing these vehicles. They SHOULD be protecting their name, their brand, their reputation. Instead they say "we could not duplicate the event". That's fine, so trade it in at a reasonable price. Give me a GM vehicle that has a better track record! You KNEW this engine had problems! You sold it with a maintenance (oil change) expectation that was not sustainable. My cost will now more than double for oil changes over the life of this vehicle! GM is no better than the CHINESE DRYWALL scammers! The Equinox and all vehicles with similar issues are Chinese drywall! You buy something that seems great and a few months later... you have a stinking mess!
    edited October 2013
    The moral of the story with EVERYTHING that you purchase today is "buyer beware! ------- This includes all big ticket items! ------ Before purchasing anything go on line and read the reviews both about the product, and about the dealer offering the product for sale. ------ When I purchase a vehicle I pick the product and the dealer based on the reviews that I read on line, and on Edmunds. ------ I would be willing to pay a little more for the vehicle and purchase it from a dealer that gets POSITIVE reviews from the customers. ----- I am willing to give ALL OF MY SERVICE BUSINESS to the dealer, but in return, i expect the dealer to be "on my side" when dealing with a warranty issue! ----- YES, loyalty works both ways. Both the Chevrolet and the Toyota dealer that I have in New Jersey are simply outstanding in terms of service and customer relations. I have NEVER been disappointed with a service experience, but on the other side, I give them all my service business. (Oil Changes, Brakes, Tires, Filters --- etc.) -------- I would love to own a Dodge Charger! I cannot purchase a Dodge Charger because the Dodge dealers in my area a less than professional both in terms of sales and service. Why would I subject myself to a "negative ownership experience" just to own a vehicle that I like? ----- At the price of new vehicles, "vehicle ownership" should be an enjoyable experience. Is that TOO MUCH to ask? So Chrysler does not get my business. ------- At the price of a Dodge Charger I could also look a Toyota Avalon which also happens to be a "sharp looking vehicle!" -------- In today's economy, PEOPLE WANT TO BE RESPECTED, and they WANT VALUE FOR THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY, and if something happens to the product in terms of the warranty THEY WANT TIMELY / PROFESSIONAL / PRO-ACTIVE SERVICE, and in exchange for that treatment, people will be loyal to the manufacturer and the dealer. ----- What is the problem with that deal? ---- It is a "win / win" situation for all parties. ---- We all need to drive vehicles for business and pleasure. ------ I need vehicles that are 100% for my business. If something happens, I need timely / professional service on the road because my vehicles are my office. A Chevrolet Equinox could not fulfill my professional needs! ----- All the best to all the Equinox owners! ----- Since I am in the boat business, I have a suggested use for all the four cylinder Equinox vehicles that are not operating properly. They would make excellent mooring anchors in an area with a muddy bottom. Once the vehicle sinks into the black mud the boat will never drag the mooring! You see if you think hard enough in a creative manner you can find a use for everything! ----- Have a GREAT DAY everyone! ------- Dwayne
  • nickcapnickcap Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    Great question about the oil. I had it changed two months ago with my own mechanic know him well a highly reputable business. I think he would have told me if there was something unusual (smell) with the oil. As for the dealership, I believe if there was something else wrong pertaining to this issue they would have fixed it. Reason why, because before I went to the dealership I contacted the corporate office in Detroit and opened a case. So when I got to the dealership they knew exactly who I was. Sometimes you need to go over their heads first to get the common courtesy that customers deserves. This is also why that they had treaded me with the upmost respect . In addition, the dealership had told me that they did in fact inspect the timing chain. I can only speculate they had to because they needed to get to the camshaft actuator.

Parts.

12609291 (Gasket Kit)
    24435052 (Gasket)
    12605566 (Filter)
    19293000 (Oil)
    12621505 (Actuator)
    11588844 (Bolt)
  • Bought my 2011 chevy equinox almost 2 yrs ago because I had wanted one since they first came out. Loved it at first but have had nothing but problems with it ever since. Has been into the dealership 3 times in the past 6mos for the same issue-check engine light comes on and code shows random misfiring with unknown cause, runs rough, stalls when first started at times and all I get is the run around about how I need to use top tier gasoline. It's not like I am filling it up at hick town gas stations. Worst part is that I love this vehicle as far as comfort and style. I just wish it was reliable. Not sure what my next action should but am afraid I am going to need to trade it in and lose money. Have owned multiple other vehicles that were only a couple years old with less than 30,000 miles and never had this kind of problems.
    Read the entire postings on the 2010 & the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox, and you will get a true picture of the problem. ---- Suggestion; ----- Call GM, and open up a "case number" with them. List all the problems with the vehicle. It is VERY important that you go on record with this vehicle. ----- Have all of your oil and filter service done at the dealer and keep all of your service receipts. The problem IS NOT with the quality of the fuel, but rather with a design flaw in the four cylinder engine and the high pressure fuel pump. ------ You will read about this in the past postings. ----- Pull the dip stick on the engine oil, and smell the oil. If it smells like raw gasoline you have a leaking high pressure fuel pump dumping raw fuel into the engine oil. -------- This is destroying your engine! -------- All the best! ----- Dwayne.
  • Has anyone actually had any luck with GM? If these are known problems with this engine then why do they keep trying to blame it in the gas? I received that letter about the balance chain and plunger shaft seal but was told that those codes were not showing up but only the random misfires on all cylinders especially #3. Should I insist to GM that these parts get replaced anyways to see if that makes a difference?
    Kindly be advised that you need to read the entire postings on both the 2010 and the 2011 boards to get a true understanding of the magnitude of the problem. ----------- Both GM and the Chevrolet dealers have an understanding of the total issue, and the role that the high pressure fuel pump plays in the engine problems. ----- With raw gasoline in the engine oil, the lubricating qualities of the oil have been compromised. This then destroys the timing chain assembly, damages the main bearings, the piston rings and the cylinder walls of the engine. ---- Even if the timing chain assembly is replaced along with a NEW & IMPROVED high pressure fuel pump, ---- the damage to the engine is still a major factor. ---- Most likely the engine will use oil and be very noisy! ---- You now have major piston blow-by and the PCV system is now working overtime to clear the crankcase of fumes. Oil is being pulled out of the crankcase because of the pressure of the blow-by! ----- YES, it is a mess!------- The fix is a new engine, but lots of luck with this issue! ---- Remember this when it comes time to purchase a new vehicle. ---- A Rav4 is a very nice SUV! ------ All the best to you! ----- Dwayne
  • Hello Dwayne,

I smelled raw gasoline on my 2010 Nox oil dipstick for a long time, I have sent oil samples for third-party analysis twice and all came back clean of gasoline. I recently had the piston-ring replaced as outlined in the GM service bulletin, and the oil still smells like gasoline! The service manager told me that it is normal for a direct-injection engine where it is almost unavoidable to have gasoline droplets hitting the oil film. I don't know if this is really true but has no way to find out. Have you heard the same comment?
    edited November 2013
    I find the comment of the "service manager" to be VERY interesting. Lets try to put some automotive logic into this situation! ----- "IF" raw fuel is getting into the engine oil because of the engine being a "direct injection engine" that means that the fuel injectors are over fueling the cylinder or for some reason the fule being injected into the engine is NOT being burned. If the injectors were over fueling the cylinders the engine would idle rough, (like a flooding Carb.), and there would be black exhaust smoke coming our of the tail pipe. In your posting you stated that you have sent oil samples for third part analysis twice and all came back clean of gasoline. Based on that I would have to believe that no raw fuel exists in the oil, but the smell of raw fuel could come from a leak in the engine compartment. Is it possible that the sample that you are sending out for analysis somehow "sits" and allows the gasoline to evaporate before it is examined. If the oil smells like raw gasoline there has to be gasoline in the oil to some extent. It would be an interesting experiment to put some type of gasoline dye into the fuel, and see if it ends up in the oil. I do not know if this is possible!!!!! ---- When you drain the oil, do you get a big odor of raw gasoline? ----- Raw fuel in the engine oil will destroy the lubricating characteristic of the engine oil, and this will cause mechanical problems in the engine, and oil burning problems through the PCV system. ----- How often do you change your oil? ------ When you change your oil do you notice that the viscosity of the oil is thinner? ----- The whole point of a "direct injection engine" is to get complete combustion, and complete combustion to me means no raw fuel left over in the cylinder! ----- All the best! ----- Dwayne
  • Just bought a 2011 Chevy Equinox 4 cylinder, had I have read these posts I NEVER EVER would have bought this piece of crap vehicle! I bought it at a local Chevy dealership and loved how the vehicle looked how it drove but then it was 5 days after the purchase we started noticing a couple ,what we thought was little things. HA what an understatement that is! They had to replace the fuel pump,water pump AND timing chain! And now we smell gas in the oil!!!!!!!!!!! We tried to return this piecer to them ,as they have a 30 day trade off if we don't like the vehicle etc. and now im getting the run around! I know theres a lemon law in N.D. so tell me what else can I do because im so sick and tired of talking to these people and they are NOT solving the problem only adding fuel to the fire,so to speak??? I have been a diehard Chevy owner for years and after owning this vehicle and the problems already and what is to come, im rapidly turning away from Chevy period! SHAME ON GM FOR MANUFACTURING SUCH A PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If they have a 30 day return policy and you are under the mileage, do not play around get an attorney! ---- Dwayne
  • The 2011 Equinox has engine problems and I want to know WHY THEY ARE NOT BEING RECALLED! I am so fed up. I have had all the tires replaced, all 4 speakers replaced, the shifting mechanism replaces, all four door handles replaced, and currently the engine is knocking! GM says this is normal and other than putting a silencer on it there is nothing else they can do!! Bull____!! If they don't recall this thing I AM CALLING MY LAWER. I am so over GM vehicles - what junk. It also hesitates but they said that is also normal and it runs loud. The engine even knocks when no one is in it because I was putting my golfs clubs in one day and it just started knocking! The sticker promised 32mpg hwy which is also crap. The only good thing I can say is that the dealership I go to is amazing and I feel sorry for them having to put up with the problems with this piece of junk. So finally GM offered me $2500 to get rid of it! You are kidding - right! That made me even more furious! Why do we put up with this - I purchased a new vehicle so I would not have to be calling a car dealership all the time.
    Possible solution to your problem. ----- If your vehicle is still under the original new vehicle warranty, and you are "up-to-date" with all your service, go back to your dealer, and purchase a Top Of The Line GM Extended Warranty for the "maximum mileage," and the "maximum years" with zero deductible. ----- Now, you will be in the "driver's seat." ----- You know, it will pay for itself because it is only a matter of time before the engine or the transmission fails. ----- With an extended GM warranty the manufacturer will have to continue to repair this vehicle on their dime. ---- One engine or one transmission repair will cost the price of the warranty! ---- I have a 100,000 mile "top of the line" GM warranty on my 2010 LTZ 2.4 Malibu. Once it gets to 95,000 miles it is good by GM! ---- Dwayne.
  • I am currently on my 2nd equinox and extremely unhappy !!!! Purchased the first one in March of 2011 basically the first month I had it, it was in the shop 23 days. The transmission went out in it. First they told me they were going to rebuild it. I refused ! and then they told me they would replace it (the transmission) I refused! I bought a new car and paid $25000. I didn't want it pieced together. Through lots of complaining and a lil more money my dealer bought it back from me and I picked out another one. I'm thinking whats the odds of this happening twice. . . .hmmmm

To make a long story short Equinox #2 the engine keeps stalling - at least 4 times a day. I pulled out in traffic leaving work and it stalled on me and I almost got hit. HUGE liability for Chevrolet ! I brought it to my dealer. They changed the cam shaft sensor and did an oil change and they recommended a premium fuel service. I paid $200 for the maintenance and the other work was covered under my extended warranty. Less than 2 weeks later its worse than when I brought it and I'm out the $200. Ive done everything by the book. All service and maintenance from the dealer. What I want now is for Chevrolet to buy back this piece of junk. Im extremely unhappy with my car. Chevrolet needs to take care of this or there needs to be a class action law suit. This is just ridiculous !!!
    This has to be a VERY stressful experience for you as the owner of the 2nd Chevrolet Equinox! ------ Lets look at the facts about this vehicle. ---- 1st, the track record of this vehicle since 2010 has been very poor! ---- 2nd, GM and the dealers know about the problems with this vehicle! ---- 3rd, GM and the dealers continue to sell this vehicle to people! ---- 4th, GM must be reading these postings! ---- 5th, there has NOT been any improvement with regards to warranty service and customer relations! ---- You want GM and the dealer to buy this vehicle back! That sounds like a good suggestion, but you will take a bath financially because they will not give you the full value of the vehicle. ---- The important questions are; ---- why can't they repair the vehicle? ---- Why can't they trouble shoot the vehicle? ---- Do they want to fix the vehicle? ---- You mentioned in your posting that you were almost killed pulling out into traffic. ---- This could be a VERY BIG issue should someone get killed and / or injured, and the attorney uses the postings on this site as proof of defective vehicles. ----- You see in life, what goes around does come around. It might take a long time but eventually, poor performance and poor quality, and poor customer service will bite you in the rear! ---- That is just the way life works. ---- I almost purchased a new 2010 Equinox. If it had a "power seat on the passenger side" I would have owned one, but I purchased a 2010 LTZ Malibu! ----- It is one thing to produce a poor quality vehicle, and it is another thing to demonstrate poor customer service. ------ All the best! ----- Dwayne
  • Dwayne thank you for replying. I should NOT have to purchase an overpriced extended warranty! GM/Chevrolet needs to RECALL the 2011 Equinox.
    They are JUNK and everyone knows it. Does it take someone getting killed because it stalls in traffic due to a bad engine before this happens? I want someone from GM to contact me or I am calling 9News in Denver and have them look into this issue.
    I understand your problem, but the reality is that no one cares about the issues. --- As vehicle customers, ---- we are all numbers! ----- We are expendable! ---- They have our money! ------ If you get on "9 news" you might get some attention, or they might just ignore you! ------ It is a numbers game. ---- If it costs more to fix all these vehicles, as opposed to taking a hit on not selling future vehicles, ---- they will not fix the vehicles. ----- When I was much younger, my father purchased a NEW 1964 Chevrolet 283 V8 Station Wagon that was the vehicle from hell! ---- I was in a technology program in college, and I used this vehicle to transport my projects to and from school. ---- (The vehicle came with a one year / 12,000 mile warranty and no extended warranty was available in those days.) From day one, the 283 had weak valve springs in the engine. ----- Off idle the engine would bounce in the vehicle. The dealer did nothing! --- We ran that car for 60,000 miles, and I traded it for a 1968 Ford! ----- It had 60,000 miles. During that time, we did a valve job, and we replaced the power-glide transmission, and yes the vehicle was served by the book at the dealer.----- The vehicle also had a tracking problem in side winds. ----- (I solved the problem by running the rear tires with 2 additional pounds of air than the front tires.) ---- The bottom line is that the quality of the vehicle was very poor! ----- My father had a "top of the line 1962 Impala" with a 283 V8 that was fully loaded with a three speed manual trans. This vehicle had a clutch that only "chattered in reverse" when the vehicle was hot, and backing up a slight hill. The dealer could never find the problem. (Over the years we replaced motor and transmission mounts, the complete clutch assembly and all the universal joints, and the dealer never solved the problem.) ----- All the best. ---- Dwayne
  • If there is a class action, please let me know. I am bringing it in for a recall next week. Oil life monitor software, I was down 2quarts and didn't know and car states still 55% oil life. What if I need a new motor? It is making a piston noise. They also stated I may fall under special coverage for timing chain-engine balance, fuel, and pump. If the diagnostics say nothing, then I have to pay for it out of pocket. I don't have that cash for the test, nor a new motor. My first newer car, it's a 2011 and I have had it only a few months. Not a happy camper here. Any advice will be helpful. They should be liable if there is motor wear since no lights or warnings came on