Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Owners

Comments

• arazaraz Posts: 27
    Wow, now I know why my RAM 1500 was $5,000 cheaper than a comparable Ford. That's what it'll
    cost me to keep it running.
  • mharde2mharde2 Posts: 278
    Liana, Don't worry about the transmission. They have made some improvements on the new ones. I havn't heard any bad reports on the 97s & 98s.
  • I'm just beginning to look for a new P/U. Right now I have my eye on a 2500 4x4 SLT Quad Cab with the cummins engine. I have two questions. Does anyone have a guess at the gas mileage? And will short trips shorten the life? It is only 15 miles to work.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    I have a larger rig than what you're shopping for - click on my name link to see the configuration. Depending on my right foot, I get anywhere from 15 to 22 mpg. Short trips will not shorten the life as long as you get the engine up to operating tem. I'm only 6 miles from work myself. It's the maintenance that will make or break the engine's life expectancy. Take care of the Cummins by the book, and it will outlast the rest of the truck.

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• DmatDmat Posts: 43
    I don't know if you knew this, but if you took the Cummins out of the truck, it would pull a whopping 20,000 lbs. The restricting factor, for the most part, are the breaks.

BTW if a V configuration works better in a Diesel, why don't big rigs (Mack, Peterbuilt, Volvo...) use the idea.

Matt D
    mjdrake@yahoo.com

P.S. The site is completely up and running now :)
    Matt,

Actually, the most restricting factor is the transmission. If you uprate the 47RE with a high output torque converyter and a shift kit, you can run the 600 lb-ft version of the Cummins with no problems whatsoever. I know a few people who have done this, and they say their Rams can pull a house down now.

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• swaine..I have the 99 version of the truck you're considering and it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. I stopped next to a guy who was pulling 18,000# with an automatic. I wouldn't do it but if you get in tune with your truck I think you'll not have any problems. If I were buying for pulling 6000#, I would buy a stick.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Posts: 416
    Hoping to go to my local Dodge dealer tomorrow. Have been waiting for the chevy 3/4 ton so I can compare but have ran out of patience. ... Planning to look at a 3/4 ton quad cab 4x4, V10, auto, 4.10 rear, for pulling a fifth wheel. Have been looking on the net for tow ratings for pulling a fifth wheel without success. Am guessing will be in excess of 13,000 pounds. I hope the dealer will be able to answer this. Anyone know of a site? ..... Also CarPoint pricer forces me to take leather seat if I select power seats. Dodge pricer does not. Anyone know? ..... Also considering the auxiliary rear suspension group (Extra springs and rear sway bar). Will this help much with towing vs solo ride? Any other suggestion that are not obvious etc? Rich
  • zpookzpook Posts: 7
    I'm comparing the Dodge 1500 with the 5.2 to the Ford F-150 with the 4.6. I want a 5 speed stick. The Ford 5.4 does not offer a stick with this engine. I pull a 18ft. bass boat so I want the bigger motor. My question is has anyone out there had any experience with the Ford and the 4.6 V-8. How does it compare to the Dodge 5.2. I'm going to be buying one or the other in the next few weeks any help would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know a good dealer in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I live in Arlington.
  • get the dodge with 5.9
  • I have decided to buy a dodge quad cab, but do I go for the 1500 with the V8 or do I get the 2500 with the cummins, in the long run which will be the best, I do plan to keep the truck for at least 10 years
    carknocker,

Depends on your plans. If you're going to tow or occasionally fill the bed, go fro the 2500 Cummins. If it's simply a family car replacement, you'll be more comfortable ith the 1500 V8. Both will go 10 years as long as they are properly maintained.

• dave40dave40 Posts: 582
    What are the 0to60 and 1/4 mile times and speeds for the 5.9 and the V-10 and the diesel on a regular cab long bed 3/4 ton ?
    the times you want on the diesel can be found in the current issue of Open Road (Winter 98/99).

• Help Ram Owners,
    Have owned our New 98 1500 quad-cab a mear 2 weeks and are already doing battle with the dealership. Our problem is that while driving down the road with our seatbelts on, the seatbelt light comes on and our belts lock in place, you can't move until you unbuckle it. Then you can't put it back on because it's still locked. It's an intermittment problem. Has anyone had this problem and gotten it fixed?
  • Good advice from Kcram, however not sure why you are comparing the v-8 to the cummins. They are for and serve completely different functions. Best advice I can give (after reading through all the postings on this topics myself and recently ordering my truck) take the time to research the various options to meet your wants and needs. Read through all these postings and those in diesel vs gas topic. Then go out and test drive them all....... Then make your decision.
    No half-ton can really do much in the way of hauling. If you use the SAE standard of 150 lbs per human, a Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 360 V8 has a resulting payload of just 800 pounds if the truck has a driver and 2 passengers in it (which is certainly not out of the realm of possibility with a Quad). People who own slide-in campers are almost required to get a 1 ton dually, because witn people and equipment, it's the only truck with enough actual payload to hold the darn thing.

• bigmaxbigmax Posts: 11
    z man don't forget to order limited slip to help you up the boat launch.
    Max
  • drjfgdrjfg Posts: 1
    Hi. I am new here today. I own a 96 Cummins and am going to get a 99, but am torn between the F250 and the Ram 2500 , both quad cabs and 4X4. I pull a boat (7000#) and want diesel. When not pulling I prefer the auto transmission for around town. How reliable are the new 99's in this regard? I have also heard of breakdown in the front end due to the weight of the diesel. Any truth to this?
    Does anyone know of a place to price Canadian trucks on the internet to take an invoice tothe dealer as I have read above.
    Thanks.
  • BrutusBrutus Posts: 1,113
    bigmax,

I could be wrong, but I don't think the manual trans has anything to do with the low tow rating in a F-150 with the 4.6L. The tow limitations of the truck are the 1/2 ton (vs 3/4 or 1), the axle ratio, and the engine size. What is the tow rating on a F-250LD with the 5.4L and the 3.73 with the same manual tranny? If it's more, as we know it is, it would seem that that the tranny isn't the limiting factor.
This discussion has been closed.