Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any experience with 2011 Town and Country?

Comments

• Have never noticed a shudder. The van runs well now that the 4 phasers have been replaced.
  • We recently purchased a 2011 Dodge Journey, 3.6L Pentastar engine. I am having the same issue with the shudder. Very noticeable at idle when sitting at a light or stop sign. Two trips to the dealer already, less than 2200 miles on it, and still no solution. They admit that its there, but say its normal as well.

Have you had any luck resolving your issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
  • i purchased my 2011 town and country from barberas on the boulevard in north east philadelphia. my new van has been in for service 3 times in 54 days for the engine light and brakes. the service department sucks rocks. i feel that i didnt receive the same quality of service i did when i brought the van. when you go to purchase a vehicle, they shower you with snacks and bottled water and once your purchased is approved they ring a freaking bell to congradulate you for going into dept. the phone line at this place sucks. dont try to call and expect to talk to the person you called to speak to, you will be on hold for ever. overall my buying experience at this dealership was the worst ever, and getting my van properly fixed at the sevice department was the worst. i have purchased several cars in my life, the 2011 town and country is the worst car i have ever brought. as i type this message, my lawyer has filed a case against crysler(LEMON LAW) :lemon:
  • The van isn't a lemon, there are parts that are faulty. It took me 6 months, and changing dealerships, to get to the bottom of the problem. In the end, Chryler customer service referred me to a "special" customer service resolution department in another state, to get the attention and assistance I needed to resolve the problem The problem you are having with the check-engine light is a KNOWN problem Tell the service technician to replace all of the PHASERS. After all was said and done, we formed a great relationship with the new dealership, the van was repaired, and Chrysler made a month's payment on our van. I hung in there because proving that it's a lemon isn't worth the hassle because you have to drive the vehicle until it's resolved, which could take months or years.
  • bulk4bulk4 Posts: 2
    I had the same problem, they are now replacing Cam phaser. I wish the dealership would go on line, would have saved a lot of trouble, as we had to bring it in 3 times
  • Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Town and Country. Were still interested in getting one but are waiting until my car dies so that more kinks can be worked out of the new design. Please continue to post your experiences.

Thanks!
    Michelle
  • bulk4bulk4 Posts: 2
    I think the most important thing is to hold their feet to the fire, If you go in, see what kind of relationship the sales guy has with the service guy(s). There was nothing more frustrating than bringing it in and having them ask "who did you talk to" or we didn't work on that. I wrote them a nasty gram too. I am glad I read these posts, they ended up replacing two exhaust phasers the other two(total of 4), are intake which tested ok. There is definitely an old school chain of command at these dealerships, so I recommend meeting the head guy right away-hopefully you will not have to reacquaint yourself
  • i respect your decision to keep your van, however it probably is a lemon. just wait. hopefully you wont experience all of the things that i have. did you know that they have an upgraded front brake pad and front rotor? no you didnt know, because they are not going to tell you unless you complain about excessive brake dust and your brakes start to grind. took 3 times for the service dept to finally get the front brakes from grinding.hopefully they will upgrade the rear brakes and rotors, my back wheels are black as hell from the excessive brake dust. now i am experiencing a problem with my transmission. when the van is in e-con mode, when it shifts into 2nd the van jerks. i have never had a new car do this. i havent had a chance to get to the dealership to show them what this van is doing yet, i work 6 adys a week. i will be taking off1 day this coming week so that they can address my concerns. bottom line is that my 2011 town and country is a lemon and i can wait until the lawyers do what they have to do. i am certain that they will recover ever dime that i spent on this lemon.
  • im not sure what state you live in but you can call 1-800-lemonlaw. tell these people what you have been experiencing, maybe they can help. sounds like your car, just like mine is a lemon
  • sangilp84sangilp84 Posts: 13
    edited November 2011
    Why would you spend ANY money on a new 2011 Town & Country? It should be under warranty. My 2011 Town & Country isn't performing badly since they replaced the phasers. In fact, I'm now getting 22+ miles per gallon, whereas I was only getting 18 before the phasers were replaced. Good luck with your "lemon". And good luck trying to prove that it is a lemon...........I think you're blowing smoke. No need to reply ............. :)
  • berriberri Posts: 4,174
    Just got back after renting a loaded 2011 T&C. The news articles talk about its improved drive train and engine. My experience - cramped, coarse, underpowered and rather unpleasant to drive. If the surface isn't smooth, it rides like a truck. It struggles going uphill downshifting very loudly, frequently. It isn't all that comfortable on a long drive either. If you are buying a minivan, I think you need to check out some of the competition. The couple of grand higher out the door sales price would seem to be well worth its premium over this gussied up decades old K-car (and you'll probably get more than that difference you spent back at trade in time).
  • briscoe3briscoe3 Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Have you had any transmission problems such as "Shuddering" in low gear?
  • We recently purchased a 2011 T & C Touring after we traded our 2006 T & C and the difference is like night and day. We absolutely loved our 2006 and we really don't like our 2011. I will tell you why. We are having a problem with the transmission whereby it's called a "shudder" by Chrysler but we call it a "thunk" when you first start out and are going about 4 miles per hour. We had it back to the dealer twice and they ended up telling us it is an inherent problem with this year van.
    To quote Chrysler " Certain drivetrain combinations may experience a condition where at low vehicle speeds, the transmission fluid flowing from the impeller to the stator can be momentarily interrupted. This interruption causes torque to be briefly interrupted causing the perceived shudder. Once the vehicle moves above 2-3 mph, the shudder gradually disappears as the torque interruptions become less noticeable. Unfortunately there is no repair for this issue and is a common characteristic of most torque converters under high slip/low speed conditions but is most noticeable on these specific applications due to the low reverse gear ratio. If you compare to another similar vehicle, you'll most likely have the same condition." So our Chrysler dealer refuses to do anything about this and our "shudder" is in "forward" not "reverse"
    like they claim. We are not letting this drop. We are going to pursue every avenue we can starting with contacting Doug Betts who is the VP of Quality and Consumer Satisfaction. Good luck with you decision and if you happened to have bought on already I would be curious to see if you have this problem.
  • We have a new 2011 T & C Touring, with barely 3,000 miles we have already had the transmission, water pump and belts replaced. There is still a noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The keyless entry reads that the key is defected, there are other times when the vehicle is started. Once I put it into reverse or drive, depending on the situation, it will shut off, Then I will have to wait to restart the vehicle. ALso there are times while in reverse that the van shakes, sometimes slightly, othertimes it is extensive. We have had the vehicle in and out of the shop . . . they are tellin us that everything checks out fine and it is safe. This is not what we paid for. They said the sounds are "normal". We have also experianced the rough / grinding while changing gears in the shaft.
  • i feel your pain. i have an appointment the day after christmas to have my transmission checked out. i went to the dealership 2 weeks ago, and they told me that they reprogramed the computer for the trans. it was banging into second gear. what ever they did, it didnt correct the problem. this is the worst vehicle that i have ever purchased. i suggest that you contact a lemon law attorney. if they do the same repair 3 or more times you have a case. good luck
  • i to am having the same problem.i have an appointment monday to have it checked out for the second time. two weeks ago they told me that they reprogramed the computer for the trans, that solved nothing. hopefully they will get it right this time. (im not holding my breath). this is the worst new vehicle that i have ever purchased. heres a tip, if they do the same repair at least 3 times, you have a lemon law case. good luck. stay in touch! P.S Merry Christmas
  • rzcarrzcar Posts: 3
    I also am having shudder/vibration problems with our 2011 T&C. They replaced the cylinder head, but problem is still there. The freaking car is a lemon, not sure I am ready for the hassles of lemon law.

My advice to all my family and friends, do NOT BUY CHRYSLER.

When you pay extra dollars for a new car you expect it to perform.

I have never ever had these problems with Japanese cars.

:lemon: :lemon:
  • i feel your pain, i have another appointment at the dealership in the morning. the dealership keeps giving me the run around. they are telling me that nothing is wrong with my trans or my brakes. I am 50years old and had about 30 cars in my lifetime new and used, im sure that i know when something is wrong with a trans and brakes. i asked them to have a brand new van available for me to drive to compare the difference between both cars, so that they will finally see that there is something wrong with my transmission. also they need to fix my driverside slide door, and also my brakes. like you said, i also never had problems like this with japanese cars. my other car is a lexus, and i am kicking myself every day for not buying a toyota or a honda. good luck with your van. P.S. Happy New Year
  • mic111mic111 Posts: 9
    I thank everyone for their input. We just went through another round of looking at the minivans. I was convinced I wanted the Town and Country but my husband is nervous it will always be in the shop. My 13 yr old Lexus which I have owned from new has been in the shop twice so I'm not used to it. In researching it seems both the Town and Country and Odyssey 2011+ models have transmission issues.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/151932-odyssey-touring-transmissio- n-issues.html

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/150081-hard-shifting.html

It is sort of leaving me with the Sienna which was my least favorite of the three.
  • sangilp84sangilp84 Posts: 13
    edited January 2012
    NOTICE TO ALL OWNERS OF A 2011 TOWN & COUNTRY TOURING VAN: Going the "lemon law route" will only prolong the agony, without any guarantee that the outcome will meet your expectations.

We have had our 2011 T & C Touring Van for a year, and it took 6 months to finally get it fixed correctly. It was in and out of the dealership so many times and there was so much hate & discontent with their service department that we ended up going to another Chrysler dealership in a different town. Our big issue ended up being the "Phasers". The service manager at the Chrysler dealership in Lakeland, Florida, finally did the leg work needed to get to the bottom of the problem.

I started by calling Chrysler's Customer Service line (1-800-763-8422) and harassed every rep, and their manager, and their manager, and their manager, etc., until they were sick of me, and finally referred me to a number in Michigan (1-866-275-1420) because we are "special" customers, having had a 2008 T & C Touring Van before this one that we traded with only 40,000 miles, for the 2011 model. Those folks in Michigan sat up and took notice, and it was finally repaired. They even made a full month's bank payment for us! :mad: :cry: :surprise: :shades:
  • your husband is right, it will be in the shop alot. i also have a lexus,a 2007 gs thats been in the shop twice in 5 years. maybe you should try the toyota seinna. ive been kicking myself for not going that route. i just got my van out of the shop, they changed the front and back rotors and brake pads. this makes the 4th time that they changed them in 4 months. the transmission is the worst in any vehicle that i have owned. whatever you do DO NOT BUY A CRYSLER
  • i undersatnd that lemon law takes a long time, however im positive that the outcome will be in my favor. i have had to many problems with my van,a one months car payment wont even cover my lost wages. i just got my van out the shop today. they changed the front and back rotors and brakes for the 4th time in 4 months. i truly believe that if enough owners of the 2011 town and country complain about the transmission, they will be forced to do a recall and replace every transmission with a better version. CRYSLER SUCKS
  • I recently purchased a 2011 T&C and it too had a BAD shudder. Called a friend who I worked with up north and is a Parts Dept Manager. He got his best A tech on the phone with me and he said there are TWO problems. 1: it could just need a 'reflash' of the tranmission ( that cured mine ) or 2: the converter needs to be shimmed and that requires a dissassemble and photos to show chrysler, then they OK it and do the work.
    Hope this helps.
    BTW, I like my van ;)
  • thank alot for that information. i have an appointment at the dealership to have my door panel replaced and i will definitly bring that to the service mgrs attention. hopefully that cures my van.YOU ARE MY HERO. P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS
  • This isn't a big deal but how do you get the image from a dvd to show up on the dashboard screen. I know it can be done because I did it once but can't remember how I did it. So, I would like to see what is playing on my second row seats on the dvd on the dashboard/media screen.
  • im sorry, i only have 1 dvd player in my van and it is in the dash, so im not sure. however my dvd player doesnt work when the car is in drive, they say its for safety
  • Hello Rudybadvan.
    My question for you is that you mention to tell the technican to replace all the phasers. are you meaning both the electrical and mechanical phasers? or just the electrical, or just the mechanical ones? we've replaced the electrical phasers and still have the same problem.
    Thanks
  • Hello. Just got my 2011 T&C. I have noticed the same thing. I know that in ECON mode the transmissions is designed to skip gears in order to conserve gas. That is probably the reason, but I'm not a fan. Let me know what your dealer told you. Thanks!
  • hello, im not sure which phasers they replaced. my engine light came on 3 different times, each time they did some type of repair to the engine. i know that on at least one occasion they told me that they had to replace all of the phasers because they were faulty. i suggest to you to keep complaining about all of the issues with your van until they fix it properly(if thats possible)
  • yamaha651yamaha651 Posts: 2
    I have had my 2010 T&C in three times already. First they tried computer reflash which helped for a few of the gear changes but did not take care of all. The last time they replaced seals in the transmission and now all gears change smoothly except for second. It still has the shudder. The guys at the dealearship tell me they don't have a complete fix for the problem. We have less than 26000 miles on it. Way to go Chrysler!!!! Makes me mad everytime I drive it!! I think we are done with Chrsyler.