Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Acura TL

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Granted Audi has done a nice job coming back from the Abyss, much like Infiniti has, but they still have a ways to go to get up to the level of BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes.
  • What's so special about Lexus- the GS, IS, HS,LS????
    Let us know.
  • I purchased my 2012 Acura TL back in May. First day driving it, I got into the car started it up and I received an alert telling me "battery is low and should be charged. Take it back to the dealer". I did, the dealer told me to just keep driving it and everything should be okay. I did and it was.
    Fast forward to today and I get in my car after it sitting for the whole weekend and I get the same alert "battery is low and should be charged. Take it back to the dealer". It started with no problems and I got to work with no problems. After the initial alert it went off.
    I get to work and I call the dealership where I purchased the car. I informed them of my issue and they tell me that it seems to be due to the type of electronics put in the newly redesigned engine in the 2012. The mechanic also informed me that if I received the alert and it stayed on than that would be a problem but since it came on and went off after a minute than I just need to run the car and it will just recharge the battery.
    My concern is what if I go out of town for an extended period of time and the car sits idle for the whole time. I come back, get into the car and it is DEAD AS A DOORKNOB!!! What then??
    Has anyone else out there had this same problem> If so, what did you do, if anything? :mad:
  • I have a 2010 MDX and have experienced the same issue, but only after running the audio system with the engine not running for a while. But the warning has popped up after just a few minutes, and I had never experienced this in any other car I've ever owned! I've come to attribute this to an overly sensitive warning system, and no longer fear that that battery is so run down that I would be stranded (unless you were to leave lights or electronics on for an extended period, which would drain the battery in any car!).

So I wouldn't worry about it. If it still bothers you put a set of jumper cables in the back, until your comfortable that they won't be needed.
    What's so special about Acura - the TSX, TL, ZDX, RL????
    Let us know.
    Same could be said for Lexus. But Lexus at least offers RWD and V8 in some of their offerings. Acura still doesn't even give you that choice. Lexus has much better brand recognition and prestige than Acura does unfortunately.
  • proeproe Posts: 157
    edited November 2011
    To me, Honda chooses to build cars for 80% of the market not 20%. Honda gives you what you need not necessarily what you desire. Their cars don't win any single category but as a whole they are just awesome.

Honda has more than one car that stands the trial of time.
    NSX basically redefined what a every day super car should be.
    S2000 was one heck of the high rev sports car that matches the fun factor of even mighty Porsche for a lot less.

Not sure what car does Toyota have except Supra...............

By the way, there is one guy who drove a 1990 Honda Accord to 1,000,000 miles. He bought the car used 15 years ago with 74,000 miles on it.
    http://automobiles.honda.com/mile-makers/
    http://automobiles.honda.com/mile-makers/story.aspx?Story=783

How many Toyota made cars even reach 1,000,000 miles? Or any car by other manufacturers?

That is what is so sepcial about cars from Honda ;)
    Your 100% right about Honda, but I was not taking about Honda, we are talking about Acura, which is suppose to be a luxury company. They need to start having a model line up that offers what Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi, and Infiniti has in order to be compared to them. They currently do not. I'm hopeful they will in the future.
  • mcb345mcb345 Posts: 15
    I agree they need to step it up a bit. Offer a turbo! Or a track edition TSX or TL... A 2 door coupe TL would be my next car if it ever came out. If caddillac can do it with the CTS then acura can. A track edition 2 door TL, beating out the CTS Vcoupe head to head.
  • RWD, V8- so does Ford and Hyundai, big deal.
    I like Lexus- I wanted the GS because I loved that when it first came out (couldnt afford it).
    Lexus still offers the GS350 with 17" wheels 235 Width and dealer installed XM-YUCK.
    Who wants the dealer to tear their dash open to insatlled XM-probably you.
    Personally, I dont see anything special happening there, if you call V8 and RWD special, then you are entitled to your opinion.
    Personally, I don't see anything special happening at Acura, if you call FWD with some AWD options special, then you are entitled to your opinion.
  • Smarty hit the nail on the head. I have loved Acura for years and still love driving my 08 TL. When the 08 was released it was wildly popular. Great looks, great tech, and a great drive. What has happened in the last few years is a shame. I really don't know if they will survive. Acura only offers 6 models, two of which aren't selling at all. The ZDX and RL are dead weight. What company can survive when 33% of their products don't sell? As for the TL, its poor sales speak for itself.
    Smarty, I hope Acura is listening to your suggestions. If they do they could turn it around. But spending our hard earned money on a loaded TL right now seems to be a fools errand.
  • Here's a great write up that does wonder somewhat about what Acura is doing -- but then, when he (the Pulitzer prize winning author of the piece) mentions Tony Stark as a possible savior (OK savior is too strong), well, who knows:

Kliky here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204612504576611033555412382.html

:surprise:
    I know, I'd loved my 3G TL. I don't know what Acura was thinking with the 4G. I understand they are moving the TSX and TL up market this generation but I mean they went crazy on the TL (in both size and design). The interior is still gorgeous as always, just too bad the exterior couldn't match it. 4G sales prove it. Everyone blames the recession and earthquake, etc for the poor sales numbers but other manufacturers were hit with the same thing and their sales did not decline in this category. Let's hope Acura remedy's with the 5G for 2014 so I can be back in one, fingers crossed!
  • hello all.
    i am looking to buy a 2012 TL with Technology Package. I drove both the FWD and SH-AWD versions, and there was no comparison. The handling on the SH-AWD was quite impressive. The FWD had more torque steer than my 2005 TL which is not surprising given that it has more horsepower and torque than the '05 had.

my question is could someone who owns a 2012 SH-AWD TL please tell me what mileage they are getting according to their trip computer. The EPA raised the MPG numbers on the 2012s, presumably due to the six speed tranny.

any information would be appreciated, as i am a bit concerned about fuel economy. i have not owned an AWD car before.

BTW the selling my '05 and moving up to the 2012 will be bittersweet. i have loved that car!
  • About 26 mpg on the highway and high teens in suburban driving for my 2012 TL SH-AWD with Advance package and automatic transmission.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,119
    "...selling my '05 and moving up to the 2012 will be bittersweet."

Why are you selling it, then?
  • thanks for the information. that pretty well matches the new EPA numbers which are 18 and 26. sounds like i might average around 22 overall, which isn't bad for a car with so much power. just hope i can get the deal done.
  • I am selling it because you can't drive it forever and I've got the fever for a new one. I haven't ever driven a car as long as I have this one, which is a testament to how much I have enjoyed it.

But its a great question; one I have asked myself over and over. It still looks and runs great.