Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Comments

• kyrptokyrpto Posts: 216
    edited May 2011
    On Hyundai dealer websites it has a "good through May 2nd" footnote on the .9% and 1.9% offer.

Wonder if they will continue this?
    Toyota took several years to get lower than 2.9 on the Camry or Highlander hybrids, and even longer on the Prius.

We almost opted for a Camry hybrid demo @$25,000 but am so glad we waited for the Hyundai hybrids to finally hit. Previously I had been told mid-May to June by several high volume dealers in 2 states; nobody seemed to really know then I saw 3 hybrids listed on Fairfax Hyundai’s website.

I called and spoke with a veteran sales guy with whom I had talked a while back. Only 1 hybrid had been delivered. Made the deal over the phone the day before the train ride.

My wife will be commuting 75 miles per day but she doesn’t have the same soft right foot as me. She will have difficulty matching that initial 47.5 MPG. We’ll be doing a manual calculation @ fill up and in the past all our cars w/ trip computers generally were 1 - 2 miles higher than calculating. Even so 44 or 45 MPG right out of the box is still very, very, good.
    First fill up the Sonata’s trip computer indicated 42.6 MPG; calculating shows 42.79 MPG. 570 miles w/ about an 1/8th tank remaining.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    That's excellent mileage, after about 10k miles it will get even better.
  • saaber1saaber1 Posts: 31
    i have no idea if this is a good quote:

hybrid premium trim
    36 mos
    MSRP 31,560
    Selling price 30,900
    12K miles
    sign and drive (everything is rolled into monthly price including NJ tax, DMV, $399 doc fee)
    No cap cost reduction
    MF .00056
    Residual 55%
    $490 per month

i think this is horrible and my money isn't going far at all with it. i am curious to know why it's so much higher than the sonata non-hybrids and whether anyone has leased one yet.

thanks in advance!
    I understand the hybrid I bought had a $500 OVER sticker offer made on it.

Pearson, the largest Hyundai dealership in Richmond, VA , just got their first hybrid May 5th.
    I’m curious where you found the loaded Sonata hybrid w/ 12,000 miles.
    The .9% and 1.9% rates carry over until at least the end of May.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,235
    I think that means a 12K miles/year allotment on the lease.
    I have zero experience w/ leasing.
    Is 12K about the norm for a lease?

With my wife driving, a quarter way thru the 2nd tank full on the Sonata hybrid shows avg. MPG is 38.5.
  • saaber1saaber1 Posts: 31
    carman- i'd love to get your opinion on this. do you have a baseline that i can work off of or know what should be a fair quote based on my numbers. i am tier 1 as well.

thanks alot!
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,235
    10, 12, and 15K are the normal annual mileage allotments I see. 12K is most common. If you know you drive more you can pre-factor in the extra mileage which should get you a cheaper rate for those extra miles than paying the per mile penalty for overage when you terminate the lease.

Personally I've never been in a situation where leasing made any sense. I keep my cars for years after they're paid off so the very idea of perpetual payments just seems like one bad financial decision after another. Not saying it doesn't work for some folks, but just doesn't for me.
    Considering that A) it's a Hybrid, and B) its a new model, that price below MSRP is a steal. As for leasing, have you had a quote made on a normal buy loan instead? Unless its for corporate, or business, leasing just doesn't cut it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    car_man can be found in the Lease Questions discussions. Here's a link to the Sonata discussion:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef9da1e/498

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• greendoggreendog Posts: 8
    Thanks for the posts on the new SH . Need to decide on the proven tech of the Lincoln hybrid "old man's car" or the fresh Sonata Hybrid. Glad to hear the MPG is high on the new SH.
    I would like the new Lexus CT but just a little too small.
    I have an 07 Camry hybrid with 105-k miles... do you think the Sonata technology is on par?
    Be nice to see bigger supplies as there does seem to be an inventory shortage.
    From what I’ve read, Hyundai spent a boatload in R & D on their hybrid system.
    As you know, all Toyota hybrids use a CVT and Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)
    battery packs; Hyundai is using a 6 speed auto transmission. Their battery packs are Lithium-polymer which are smaller, lighter, and more powerful than Ni-MH.

Prices for a loaded Lincoln get into the mid $40,000 range while a comparably packaged HSh would be in low $30s. It has a roomy interior; at 6’ and 225 lbs. I am comfortable even in the back seat.

We recently sold our ‘07 4 cyl. Camry. The Sonata’s interior is much better, IMO.
  • kco007kco007 Posts: 7
    i got a quote for a hybrid and just want to check if this is a good price $25583. the sticker price is $26,545.00
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Posts: 213
    Do you realize how much you will have to drive just to break even considering the gas savings. If you are a heavy comuter maybe I could see it. Otherwise not financially sound decision to buy a Hybrid. Unless of course all you care about is being green.
    Actually, you MUST compare the Hybrid model to the correct model Sonata. Most people who go this path about break even cost fail miserably when it comes down to the actual comparisons.

First, just because it is a 4 cyl, you cant compare it to the base 4 cyl model like you are. The hybrid system puts out 206HP, which means you need to compare it to the TGDI model, or the SE. Option to option they are identical, except the hybrid has turn signals in the mirrors. That is a $1400 difference, which carries over with resale. Far cry from $10,000!

Fully loaded, you have to compare it to the Limited to get the same options, Leather seating, XM radio, Nav, etc. and the Hybrid also has a few features you cant get in the Limited. Again, a $1400 difference.

Even if you were to compare it to the base GLS auto, which doesn't have air conditioning, the difference is a mere $5,400. You came up $4,600 short.

That $1400 difference can be made up fairly quickly with the cost of gas today.
    Huge difference in the battery packs between the TCH and FFH and the Sonata. First is the weight. NMH batteries are heavy, LiPo's are very light. Second, the voltage, NMH are around 1.4 volts per cell, LiPo are 3.7 volts per cell, so fewer cells are needed to put out the same voltage. They also have a higher capacity, which is how the Sonata can reach 70 MPH on pure electric. The Sonata also has the 6 speed, which makes it feel like a normal car, the CVT in the Camry, Prius, Fusion, etc, are pretty lame, especially if you are one who tends to use the gears. If you like to "drive" the car, the 6 speed gives you that ability, where the CVT doesn't.
    edited May 2011
    Great info on the differences in the battery pacs. Thanks!

That “not financially sound “ argument is bogus; plenty of the uber rich have Bentleys, Rolls, etc. Basically for less than the price of a Honda Accord or Camry V6 you can drive a Hyundai hybrid with all the standard upgrades - proximity key push button start, alloys, speed sensing wipers, unique LED DRLs and brake lights, chrome door trim, heated mirrors w/ turn indicators, and the aero nose. In Va. we have to run front plates so the “fish mouth” effect is somewhat minimized.

A $5K option pac offers sunroofs, leather, NAV, heated front AND rear seats, and 17’ wheels. Considering the decent performance and outstanding fuel economy these Sonata hybrids will significantly dent the Camry and Ford hybrid sales, IMO.

It appears dealers may already be undercutting the MSRP on the HSh but I wasn’t able to get that from any dealer 2 weeks ago.
  • I've gotten 32.5 mpg on a trip of about 200 miles and the car only has 5200 miles on it-so far so good and this is the GDI engine-Sonata SE 2011
    "i got a quote for a hybrid and just want to check if this is a good price $25583. the sticker price is $26,545.00 " by kco007.

I think this is a bogus post.
    Please provide the dealer so it can be verified.
    Not sure why you think it's "bogus." Perhaps stating a reason why you don't believe it would be more constructive. The quote may be bogus, but don't see why you'd question the person who posted it.

(Using the "reply" feature really helps. I had no idea to whom you were responding because it wasn't linked as a reply to the original post.)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Hmmmmm . . . I included "by kco007" just after his/her post.

Why doubt the price?
    I spoke with half a dozen high volume dealers in Va and NC during my research and couldn't get a below msrp quote out of any of them. Maybe kco lives on the west coast where the hybrids have been at the dealers a while longer. Just curious.

Bogus comes to mind when a person joins a forum and makes only one post.

You might want to moderate the three redundant, negative posts about Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro, NC. One slam by the same poster should be enough, IMO. My conversations with their managers didn't seem like those of a "bad"dealer.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef040b2/7782!make=Hyundai&model=Sonata&ed- _makeindex=.ef040b2
    That's not my discussion to moderate - it belongs to kyfdx and car_man. You are welcome to email them if you see a problem!

Everyone has a first post in forums they join... nothing suspicious about it, unless of course they post a spam-tastic link.

• abahlabahl Posts: 3
    It's silly to think someone couldn't get a below MSRP offer just because you couldn't. Here in Seattle, there's hardly any HSH in stock, but 1 dealer is already advertising them $1k under MSRP.

http://www.hyundaiofeverett.com/
  • reglee51reglee51 Posts: 16
    edited May 2011
    I purchased the Hybrid w/ Premium package at invoice a few weeks ago. This was because I reserved a base one which they couldn't get for a week after their expected date and I have a great relationship with the dealership (5 new cars in 4 years). Not impossible but keep in mind that dealers need to make a small profit too...
    Anyways, I traded my 2010 Prius in for it, Prius is a great car unbeatable fuel efficiency but the interior materials are horrible (weight savings?) the seats are uncomfortable and although the hatch is extremely good... its still a small car (corolla). I used to get roughly 46-54mpg on my Prius (average 50). The sonata I'm averaging 38mpg although I'm still recovering from Prius driving style, recently I've been getting 40-42mpg. My drive is extremely hilly although mostly highway.
    2010/11 Prius drives more like a regular car compared to Gen 2 Prius's but it was still feels very low power. Although the 0-60 number is somewhat disappointing on the HSH, it feels fast, it feels faster than my 2007 Sonata 4cyl and only slightly slower than my 2008 Sonata V6. It's pure electric acceleration is very very good; on a full charge, I can EV to 60mph in roughly 12-14 sec on flat ground; pretty good for a non pure EV vehicle. I think the manual states max is 75mph EV... I've gotten much faster than that as long as I have a decent charge. Its nice accellerating up a slight incline at 80+mph on electric only.
  • davejwdavejw Posts: 1
    I don't know where the poster lives, but I can confirm the price he notes is NOT bogus. I bought a Sonata hybrid for exactly $2 less than that price less than two weeks ago from Patrick Hyundai in Schaumburg, IL. Their policy is Dealer Invoice + $300, any model. Invoice will include any factory added options - mine came with the Ipod cable (try finding a hybrid without one) and carpeted floor mats, but not the useless cargo net. Great car so far...
    On a trip I stopped in a medium sized dealership that had sold their first 2 hybrids [base models] for $1500 over sticker with multiple buyers waiting.

No dealerships in the mid-Atlantic, from Fairfax to the Triad or
    Raleigh-Durham, or Richmond, VA appear to be cutting msrp on the base hybrids; haven’t spoken w/ anyone who has sold a $31K loaded hybrid yet.

That makes the $1000 under msrp in the link for a Seattle, WA Hyundai dealer an outstanding value. The green vehicle market out west is usually pricey as we learned from research on used Highlander Hybrids.

It may be a difference in supply as the west coast ports are a lot closer to Korea where all the hybrids are currently being manufactured than SC or NJ where east coast units for the mid-Atlantic are dropped.
  • reglee51reglee51 Posts: 16
    The dealership I got mine from in SE Pennsylvania (Loaded premium @ true invoice) also claims they won't do below MSRP. Their other two hybrids (base silver) haven't sold yet and its been on the lot for 2 weeks... I think they'll let them go at below MSRP when it comes down to it. Although I doubt they'll give up another one at invoice. I had originally negotiated a few hundred above invoice for the base model with them. Another dealership in North Jersey also offered to match that price (I have no purchasing history with this dealership). I think the deals are out there, you just have to find a dealership that hasn't been able to move them and has one on the lot for you to drive home.
    Also keep in mind the economy still isn't that great, and they would be hard pressed to keep them on the books more than a couple months. If they haven't sold by that time, they will come down. They would be dumb not to since they are paying interest on the car while it sits there too.
  • abahlabahl Posts: 3
    Well, I actually went ahead and purchased the hybrid for $1k under MSRP. It was actually $850 under as they had a bogus $150 doc fee. But the best part was they gave me a very strong trade in price. There's a ton of profit for a dealership that sells them even $1k under MSRP. Btw, I got $500 free from Hyundai using Motozuma and I hope everyone else does the same. You just have to wait 30 days to purchase after opening an account.