Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VSC sudden activation 2004 Sienna

2»

Comments

• spoorespoore Posts: 9
    I did find a service report on line and I printed it out, took it to the dealer, and did not have to pay for the replacement part or service. I made a big deal about the fact that they are fully aware of a dangerous defect and made a conscious decision not to recall the part. I can't find it but will search when I get home tonight.

I now own a VW with an override button. I would not purchase another car without one due to my experience with the Sienna.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    edited October 2012
    I didn't realize that people were still having unresolved problems with this, or I would have posted these links to my cloud site earlier.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?x97fu482azyi9c3

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vy8d4wxoglx4yde
  • whfh99whfh99 Posts: 3
    Thank you for sharing this information. Guess I'll have to get the vehicle scheduled for service and see how it goes.
  • Hello,
    I am having the exact same issues with my 2004 Sienna AWD XLE. Can you give me more details on your specific Sienna, was it an AWD, what was the VIN, did you even having any similar issues before?

I am not using the drive flat tire Toyota originally delivered. They wear out too fast and cost too much. I have been told that I need to change to drive flats, but am unconvinced as I have not had the issue during 4 sets or normal tires (Michelin and Parrelli).

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Peter Aichinger
  • Hello,
    I am having the exact same issues with my 2004 Sienna AWD XLE. Can you give me more details on your specific Sienna, was it an AWD, what was the VIN, did you even having any similar issues before?

I am not using the drive flat tire Toyota originally delivered. They wear out too fast and cost too much. I have been told that I need to change to drive flats, but am unconvinced as I have not had the issue during 4 sets or normal tires (Michelin and Parrelli).

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Peter Aichinger
  • Hello,

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Peter Aichinger
  • Hello,

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Peter Aichinger
  • spoorespoore Posts: 9
    Peter,

Yes, it was AWD and I too switched to regular tires (the tires were not the problem). I found a service notice that was issued by Toyota to its service staff online, that made it clear that they were aware of the defect but it was not regarded as a threat of injury so was just a notice to service, not a recall. In other words, the cost of potential injury and replacement of the part was on the owner. I marched that document to my Toyota dealer and demanded it to be fixed...and they fixed it free of charge. I was extremely upset as I was driving at 65 mph on a very busy highway with my kids in the car when the car went into protective skid mode even though the road was dry and I was traveling straight down the road. We avoided an accident but it was scary to say the least! I sold the car and now drive a VW with a shut off switch for the VSC. I feel much safer.
    When you got new tires, did you also get a wheel alignment? Too many independent shops still haven't gotten the word that you MUST do a system reset after a wheel alignment to compensate from the change in tire angle with relationship to steering wheel angle. It doesn't take much of an angle change (a degree or so) to inadvertently trigger the VSC system. If an alignment places the angle near the edge of range and you hit a bump or have any natural drift at all, it's going to engage. See the links I posted a page back.
  • stevemvstevemv Posts: 5
    edited August 2013
    Hi, I have a 2004 AWD Sienna XLE Limited (bought it new in 2003) and the VSC problem started about 6 months ago. Happens when going downhill on a curve...two times at 65 mph or so and once at 35 mph. All seemed to be when I was turning right slightly and all happened on perfect road and weather conditions. Car beeped, VSC light came one, the van slammed on the brakes and pulled right. Scary as I was next to a semi one time. Don't want my wife driving the van now. I talked to another Siena 2004 owner and he had same issues and he had no luck with the dealers in our area...they could not duplicate! He spent a lot of money on new tires and front-end work to no avail.

Anyone had any luck with Toyota directly or a dealer? it is a safety issue pure and simple.

Thanks,
    Steve 8/29/13
  • Peter,

Any update?

stevemv
    2004 Siena owner with vsc problem too!
  • Sorry, I have been traveling and did not respond.
    First, I would like to say I just want my car to work and am not looking for more. I am concerned that some may be fishing for some kind of settlement.

The Toyota dealer in Lompoc CA at first indicated that the Toyota rep had identified some cases where they stated using run flat tires was the problem. I have run multiple sets (3) of non run flats without problem, so I discount this diagnosis. I did have a case a couple of years ago when the car would apply the ABS when driving at speeds greater than 20 mph or so. At that time I disconnected the ABS relay and drove to the dealer (where I reinstalled it). The dealer said the steering wheel sensor needed calibration. I had never done this and had aligned the wheels frequently, given that I have an AWD which "ate" tires. This corrected the problem for 3 or 4 years.

The dealer told me that Toyota told them that I needed a new steering rack. It would be $800 with no guarantees. The steering is very good with no wandering and no wheel play. So I have a hard time believing this. I would spend the $$ right away if it would fix it, but do not want to start throw money at this with no diagnosis.

There are only a few components which are in question.
    1. The ABS wheel sensors (also tells ABS if wheels are locking)
    2, The Steering sensor (needs to be calibrated to the steering shaft)
    3. The yaw sensor (tells if the car is rotating as during a skid)

That's it! All of these have fault detection built into the car. It nothing shows up as a fault they are most likely working at least to some degree.

The dealers said they looked at everything, but I do not have the confidence that more was done than plugging in the OBD II.

1. The ABS sensors can be viewed easily with the wheel off. I need to check the sensor and the splines on the shaft (which others have found can get rust and dirt in them as well). ABS sensor are about $90 each without install.

2. The steering shaft sensor can be easily re-calibrated through the ODB II connector. There is a Toyota Service Bulletin (TSB) on this and it is doable by a home mechanic.

3. The yaw sensor appears to be the tough one. No east test and very expensive. If all else fails I my go to a junk yard and see if a swap helps.

Once the ABS sensors have been checked/replaced/ the steering sensor re calibrated and even the yaw sensor swapped there is little more which can be done.

In the final analysis this could be a systems issue (yes, I am an engineer). In the case of a systems issue, all the combined sensor tolerances my not be working out. Several parts must all play together for this system to work. If it was not designed correctly the errors stack up up and the system fails to function properly even though the individual parts are working to the manufacturers specifications. A classic design failure for many systems.

We should all be mad as hell! Looking on the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin. site (NHTSA) there are several reports of this same issue. It is CLEARLY a SAFETY ISSUE (and this on what was a $35K car)! We also face some really bureaucratic gov policy at the NHTSA. The definition of what gets recalled is vague at best.

Beyond this there are numerous complaints by people like us listed on line. Toyota indicated they do not recognize what people put in chat rooms, but most of us have gone to the dealer as well. They are clearly aware that this is an issue.

When I told this to Toyota Motor Sales (I called it in), I was told that there is no recall in place.

I will work through my "punch list" to see if I can fix this myself, but would really like to escalate this. We would need reference to as many owners who have this problem and the car VINs. Everyone should make certain to file a complaint on the NHTSA site as well as will Toyota Motor Corp. The NHTSA reacts well to consumer pressure and I would go directly as well as through my local political representative.

Please let me know what everyone else finds.

Regards,

Peter
  • Thanks Peter for the update,

I will file complaint on NHTSA site and I will be talking to the dealer serv mgr next week. Also, I removed run-flats years ago from my AWD Siena as they chewed them up way too fast.

stevemv
  • Hello I have this problem too and it is very annoying. I have spent lots of money changing tires to fix it but it did not work. I am prepared to go to toyota to have them fix this I printed the 2 mediafire links for the yaw sensor and zero point calibration. Should I print any other things? I could not find a service report. Also what should I tell them when I get there. Because every time I try, they just change tires and I have to pay, while nothing happens.

Thanks
  • We brought our van to the dealer, they adjusted some sensors and I am not sure what else. They did not charge me for this cause I spoke with the service manager ahead of time and complained.. I am not confident the issue is fixed but it has not happened to me since that servicing over the last two months.

We just traded the van in for a new vehicle, so I hope everyone gets their issue resolved with their Sienna.

stevemv
    I'm sure that they just did the Zero Point Calibration procedure, and all was fixed. If you had no further problems, then they finally did it right! Best of luck with the new vehicle. What did you get?
  • Kids all grown...mini-van days finally OVER!
    Got a Lexus IS350...very un-minivanish! :o) bery fun car...

Thx
  • wow, thanks for the fast responses. I just want to makes sure my problem is the same as the other ones here. Sometimes in the middle of the road and highway, the car beeps and does a couple brakes. This process takes about 3-5 seconds. Also the light with the car and the curved lined behid it turns on. this is what i mean
    http://cdnedge.vinsolutions.com/dealerimages/Dealer%202812%20Images/trac-inop-li- ght.jpg
    I just wanted to make sure that this is the right place to look at and that i have the same problem as you guys

thanks again
2»