Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TR-6's. Love'm? Hate'm?

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,636
    edited March 2011
    Well it would have to be the most British looking since the others were styled by non-Brits. ;)

That said there is a unique appeal to the TR-3 with it's cut down doors, flat screen and crank hole (non-working feature in TR-4s/250s but functional in TR-2/3s0

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,161
    I agree with marsha7.... the TR-6 always did it for me... maybe it's because I was a teenager in the '70s...

I also agree that a 7-yr-old Boxster would be the way to go...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    Uh, fintail...is there ANY topic that I jump to that I don't find you???...I am beginning to think you are stalking me, and stalking is a crime... :P ;) :blush:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,796
    So sue me, how can you resist? :shades: :P
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,741
    Don't tempt him. He's probably a Trial Lawyer!
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,753
    there is a unique appeal to the TR-3 with it's cut down doors

Thats what I mean, those cut down doors scream British. Or at least to me they do.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• parmparm Posts: 723
    edited March 2011
    Thought I'd post these two TR6's to show you what I'm looking at. Both are 1974 models. One is an all-stock original and the other has received some mods to include a 5-speed from a Supra, a fully rebuilt front suspension with front gas shocks, a gas shock conversion for the rear, competition springs, 16x7 Panasport wheels (which I love) and a new factory-spec interior - though the interior of the green one has received some factory replacements too.

Mr. Original

Mr. Modified

While the originality of the green one is quaint, TR6's are regularly modified - usually resulting in a better overall car. As an example, the Toyota 5-speed is a pretty routine upgrade. There's even a conversion kit available. Not sure I'm in love with the roll bar (would make it tough to buy a car cover I would think), but I love the diamond white paint which clearly isn't stock.

Both cars are priced about the same, though my research suggests to me something less than $20K seems more market correct (would appreciate some input on that).

If it were a 1955 Cadillac, I'd prefer it to be all stock. But, a TR6 is kind of like having a blank canvas that's waiting to be enhanced by the artist within. Both cars above appeal to me in different ways. One issue that concerns me with the modified TR6 is the minimal tire clearance due to the larger wheels (15" is stock). The owner claims he researched the wheel choice with Triumph owner groups and says he's not experienced any tire rubbing issues. But, with only 1" tire clearance in the front and 2" in the rear, that just doesn't seem like very much to me. Anyone care to dispute that???? I'm sure the competition springs help in that regard, but I wonder if they make the car ride even MORE like a log truck. Here in Indiana, we hear tales and have read stories about smooth roads that other U.S. citizens enjoy. So, a car that doesn't rattle my fillings every time I roll over an expansion joint is not a trivial issue to this Hoosier.

Comments about these two cars are highly encouraged . . . . .
    Those both appear to be nice cars Parm but their big drawback is that they are '74s. 1969-'73 were the "golden years" for the TR-6 (and a lot of other cars of that era) because '74 ushered in the era of big bumpers, higher ride heights and more restrictive emission controls. I suspect that for $20K+ you could find a nice earlier car.

Of the two cars I like the green one, mostly for the color and the obvious care that it has had. I think white is a poor color for a sports car but those Minilite-style Panasports are really cool and period correct. Moreover I think you're right in saying that originality counts for little in cars like these.

As for tire rubbing, it might be an issue. It was when I switched from bias-ply Goodyears to 185x15 Dunlop radials on my TR-4A. I only had a minimal problem at full lock but it'd be a tight fit with 16 or 17 inch wheels.
    The extra ride height of post '73 cars might give a little more leeway for bigger tires but given the amount of suspension travel at the rear I'd be leery of a bigger tire.

You pays your $$ and Takes your choice. ;)

I'm glad you raised the issue about post-1973 TR6 engines. Regarding the more restrictive emission controls or other power robbing concessions that were done for the sake of cleaner smoke, can't those be removed/corrected? I mean guys are dropping LS motors into these things. Surely, the stock TR6 motor in 1974 can be hopped up, right? I'm guessing there's a whole industry of performance parts for TR6 motors. So, I don't see the difference in motors as being a big issue. Regarding the rubber baby buggy bumper stops, those can be removed. So, that's not a concern to me. Now, the issue of the change in ride height in '74 is a new revolation to me. I hadn't heard that. Then again, that's something could be fairly easily corrected I would think.

Anybody know for sure????
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    (Knock, knock)...(door is answered)...Mr. Fintail???...yes, I'm Mr. Fintail...my name is Barney Fife, and I am with the Mayberry Sheriff's Department...here are your papers...consider yourself SERVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P ;) :blush: :shades:
    edited March 2011
    Any motor can be hopped up, all it takes is money and nohow. "De-smogging" motors like this (i.e. removing restrictive controls) used to be a minor industry but I think to do it right you'd have to change out the head, and intake manifold and carbs.

Perhaps you could acquire a British-spec motor with the petrol injection worth @ least 30hp IIRC. I think you'd have to do serious work on the rear suspension to accommodate more extra power than that.

Moss Motors is the place to look.

I agree with the others and I would go with one earlier than a 1974. They stick on those ugly rubber bumper pads that if removed will leave holes.

They also raised the car a few inches which severly affected the handling.

Wow...from Cadillacs to British Sports Cars! Talk about being all over the board! It'll be interesting to see what you eventually buy if you ever do pull the trigger!
    Yeah, I'm kind of curious myself. ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,032
    I don't like the modified one at all---it's all wrong for a TR6. I have no problem with the transmission per se, but the color, the wheels, the boy racer stuff---no way for me.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I don't like the modified one at all---it's all wrong for a TR6. I have no problem with the transmission per se, but the color, the wheels, the boy racer stuff---no way for me.

This coming from a man who made a hard and loud car out of a Mini Cooper S? :P

While I wouldn't classify the white one as a "boy racer", isn't that kind of the point of owning a TR6? I mean other than the diamond white paint (which I love that color btw), the Panasport wheels (a VERY common upgrade to any British sports car) and roll bar (again, a VERY common upgrade), the car looks bone stock to anyone walking by it. TR6's to us "mature" adults are kind of like what a Honda Civic is a 20-something tuner head. There are no TR6 rules as far as I can tell. Yeah, the white one won't win any originality awards at a Triumph show. Then again, you probably won't see another one there like it - and I tend to lean toward the later distinction. With enough time and money, anyone can have an authentically stock TR6. That doesn't take much imagination.

As long as the modifications are done tastefully (which is the case with the white one in my opinion), I don't see there being a problem.

Can anyone tell me if there is that much of a performance difference between a 1973 and earlier TR6 and one manufactured in 1974 and later?
    edited March 2011
    Can anyone tell me if there is that much of a performance difference between a 1973 and earlier TR6 and one manufactured in 1974 and later?

Perhaps not, I can't find many good numbers but according to Wikipedia the TR-250, which used the same motor/carbs as US spec 1969-73 TR6s, was rated @ 111hp and could do 0-60 in 10.6 seconds (your wife's SUV could blow it away).

They say post '73 TR6 motors were rated @ 104hp (not much less but still no more than the TR-4A's 4-banger).

Yeah but a Gen 2 Mini Cooper is not a classic car and never will be, and besides, I've done nothing tasteless to the exterior or the paint, and nothing useless, like a roll bar in a car that isn't being raced, or wheels more suitable for a '79 Camaro. :P

No big changes in horsepower for the TR6; however the early ones with Lucas fuel injection were substantially more powerful.

I'm sure you could get 150HP out of that engine with some clever mods, but it would require cylinder head work I think to bump compression and get better breathing.

edited March 2011
    No question about it, 150bhp was what the UK spec PI Triumph 6s got. It might be cheaper to import a rebuilt motor from the UK than to build one from a US spec block.

I wonder if a Datsun 240Z six would fit in there?

edited March 2011
    No real need to do such a thing. You'd lower the value of the car most likely and I don't see how you'd gain all that much with that expensive swap vis a vis beefing up the original engine. The stock engine type and size really suits the car.

Shifty, you didn't replace your Mini's muffler with a Fart Can now, did you?
    :P
    oh god no, pretty much close to stock exhaust. The "noise" I referred to is not intentional. It comes from the tires and the sunroof buffeting.

edited March 2011
    Forgot to mention that the diamond white TR6 received a "gold plus award" (whatever that is) at the 2010 Triumphest in San Diego. So this car must be held in fairly high regard in Triumph circles. The car has also won other trophies, but those may just be from cruise-ins for all I know.

So, dare I say this car has some Provenance? ;)
    Yeah, whatever that is. I can assure you that any true British car nut would object to that car, or, since they are polite people, quietly turn their nose up at it. Better check that that trophy doesn't have a bowling bowl on top of it. :P

This is what we call a 'back row' car at a true British meet. The person gets respect for doing a good job, but is also reminded that history and tradition have been violated.

You can get a whole lot of attention and "attaboys" by painting candy stripes on a vintage Porsche, but after that, what have you got really?

I'm really surprised that car won any kind of an award at a British car meet.

The British people always seem to be such purists. Much more so than on the US made cars.

It's a nice car but it doesn't appeal to me. It's just so "wrong".
    The British sports car people are not snobs at all. It's the Bentley Rolls crowd that can get snooty if you molest one of their favorite cars.

The modified British sports cars run on the same tours with the "purists", no problem, but I've never heard of them winning any awards at a British meet, except maybe "crowd favorite" or something like that.

It's fine to mechanically improve a British sports car....to a point....such as breakerless ignition, or in the case of the MG TC, you can put in a Japanese steering box.

But a different engine, or wrong paint, or boy racer wheels---that's a no-no.

edited March 2011
    I guess you could call Panasports or Minilites "boy racer wheels" but I think they are fine and period correct for almost any60s-70s Brit sports car. It's not like they are slotted, chromed Ansons or American Racing/Torque Thrust wheels. The stock wheels are not very attractive unless they're optional wires and those bring a whole set of their own problems.

I do acknowledge that you don't want to go very big diameters (Dubs) or really wide.

My thoughts exactly. Panasport wheels on a British sports car are as common as driving caps, leather gloves and Burberry scarves. ;)
    The stock TR6 wheels are perfectly lovely but if you want to vintage race, some of the other vintage wheels you mentioned would be a good choice.

I submit that most folks who put Panasport wheels (my favorite, but pick your own) on a British sports car don't do it to go racing - but rather to help personalize their cars. That appears to be pretty common with TR6's at least. I mean, how many bone stock examples can a person stand to look at? After market wheels does not a boy racer make. :blush:
    If "personalizing" your car means throwing on a set of incorrect wheels or giving your car a non correct paint color, I suppose that's OK if that's what you like!

I would much rather look at a bone stock Triumph myself.