Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Honda get its mojo back?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,916
    "Thirty years ago, the first Accord rolled off the line at Honda's Marysville, Ohio, plant, the first car a Japanese automaker assembled in the U.S., changing the competitive landscape of American automaking forever.

Though its world headquarters remains in Japan, Honda makes and sells more cars in North America than in any other continent. The seven plants can produce 1.63 million vehicles a year now and will boost annual capacity to 1.92 million vehicles when a new$800-million plant in Celaya, Mexico, starts production in 2014."

Honda's Ohio plant changed competitive landscape in America (Detroit Free Press)
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,561
    I had a 2005, which was to me a nice size and a well balanced car. Not stylish, but not offensive either. The next (last now) generation, I did not like. Way too big, seemed bloated, and not at all interesting to me.

the new one though, I would consider if I needed a full sized mid size (what I consider these). Looks nice, and a bit trimmer. still barge like though, but most of these are now.

one thing that I like about the Accord, when you read the comparison tests, is visibility. One of the few with decent sized windows, reasonably low belt line, and a decent view out. Some of the other cars in the class are like looking out of a tank turret.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• berriberri Posts: 3,997
    What I found interesting in that CD article was that it was pretty high on the new Camry, but then Motor Trend came out very down on the Camry due to things like rattles and a light assembly falling out of the roof...hmm, sounded like "Old GM" disease. They also took opposite positions on the new VW Passat.

I'm thinking that Honda dropping the front end wishbone suspension won't be a big deal in the marketplace even though it may dismay a few Honda purists?
    those purists long since abandoned the Accord.

Or, they joined the 99% of the buyers that neither know nor car what kind of front suspension the car has. Or transmission, or any other dirty bit, as long as it is smooth, quiet, economical and reliable.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Slower-than-expected sales and the yen's strength against other currencies forced Japan's third-biggest car maker to lower its net profit projection.

"Our earnings outlook has been affected by lower sales due to the situation in China" and other key markets, Finance chief Fumihiko Ike said at a news conference Monday. Honda also posted weak second-quarter results, which Mr. Ike blamed in part on higher spending on marketing and incentives in the U.S. to clear out older inventory that acted as a drag on profits."

Honda Chops Forecast WSJ
  • berriberri Posts: 3,997
    That's kind of funny Steve, because when I look at the ads it seems Detroit is often priced higher than Japan these days because D3 seems to have inflated their sticker prices more.
  • victor23victor23 Posts: 201
    edited October 2012
    those purists long since abandoned the Accord.
    Or, they joined the 99% of the buyers that neither know nor car what kind of front suspension the car has. Or transmission, or any other dirty bit, as long as it is smooth, quiet, economical and reliable.

Probably I am one of those, because I don't really care as long as it is "fun-to-drive" AND "pleasure-to-ride" AND "low-maintenance" AND reliable. I did abandon, and one of the "deal-breakers" was the consistently high turning diameter in V6 Accords (among the highest in the class). It was a frustrating 39.6' in my 2007.

As concerns the style, I agree, I also liked 2003-2005 the most (elegant inside; not outstanding, but consistent outside; not too big for a personal transportation); 2006 redesign was "more inoffensive", but rather eclectic. 2008 was "noble", but not elegant, outside, and mostly disappointing inside, and its mid-cycle redesign was, again, "more inoffensive", but bland and eclectic. 2013 seems to be the most inoffensive of all on paper (have yet to see it "in person").
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,578
    its mid-cycle redesign was, again, "more inoffensive", but bland and eclectic. 2013 seems to be the most inoffensive of all on paper (have yet to see it "in person").

That mid cycle refresh must have been bland as heck, as I never even noticed that there was one! :blush:

I saw a 2013 Accord a couple weeks ago. I thought it was nice looking.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Saw my 1st new Accord last night at the gas station and I like it! The rear end looks especially nice and since it had nice alloys, I'm assuming it was an EX model. I think this car will age nicely...looks much better than the last generation for some reason. Looks better than the new Camry overall...I would definitely buy one if in the market for a mid-sized sedan right now. Like it even better than the new Fusion, which is a very good looking new model...I'd choose the Fusion over the Camry if they were my two choices for my next ride and I'm not really a Ford person at all.
    All I can say is...good job Honda!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

That mid cycle refresh must have been bland as heck, as I never even noticed that there was one!

The too-much-chrome-too-rectangular grille was gone; I liked the new one at first, but very soon it became too much reminding of 1950s and lacking any (even if poor) personality. The rear lamps were added with horisontal strips looking like light-reflecting stickers stuck onto an antique car.
    I think this car will age nicely...Looks better than the new Camry overall... Like it even better than the new Fusion

Yes, it will. It is not flashy, with clean "classic" lines. Very inoffensive, for better or for worse. It is not easy to look worse than a new Camry, the worst, probably, Camry of all. Not that it is particularly ugly, but the lack of effort, passion and attention on the part of its designers is too much apparent. Everything screams: "Budget, rental, unloved, also-run". No midsize car deserves this. Difficult to disagree with Motor Trend on that. Fusion... first pictures were exciting, but now it looks too chubby to me. Still waiting what are they going to screw up with new Mazda. (Looks like they already did.)
    I like the new Mazda 6 better than the Fusion actually...and we're quite impressed with our Mazda 3s as it passes 113k very soon. Still runs great and screwed together very tightly with no squeaks or rattles. We've never ever had a car with this many miles but the wife just doesn't want to let it go. The a/c unit is acting up again but still blowing cold. So I'd buy another Mazda product based on how well our current one is holding up.

I think the new Accord and Mazda 6 will both do very well in the market...better than either the Camry or Fusion once people drive 'em.

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• If the new Accord is anything to go by, it does seem like Honda is getting it together. The reviews for the Accord have been pretty positive, and the efficiency of the packaging reminds me of older Hondas that weren't huge on the outside but had plenty of room on the inside. The only cars I'd cross shop it with are the new Altima and upcoming Mazda 6.
    Hopefully, the redo of the '13 Civic will address some of the current problems going on. Making it a bit more like a mini Accord isn't such a bad thing...look how well Hyundai is doing with the Elantra. Hopefully Toyota will do the same with the Corolla, that car absolutely needs something serious to happen to it...reliable is great but it lacks any sense of style or fun! Personally, I hope they nail it this time with the Civic!

• Here it is!

2013 Honda Civic to Debut at Los Angeles Auto Show With More Youthful and Premium Styling

I think the changes are great, but it's the interior that has drawn the most criticisms...
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,578
    Not a bad looking car. But honestly, I don't have a problem with the curent Civic, although I'll admit I haven't looked at one closely. There's a lady at work who has a 2012, and she's happy with it. I've seen it in the parking lot, and I don't have a problem with it.

When it comes to compact cars, who's considered to be the "winner", these days, anyway? The Civic has drawn a lot of flak, but I swear the Corolla doesn't seem to have advanced all the much in at least a decade. The Nissan Sentra seems to have fallen to "also-ran" status, but my friend's grandmother recently bought a used 2010 model. I sat in it the other day, and it seemed to be a nice car.

I guess cars have gotten so good in general these days that even if you end up picking the "loser", you still end up with a decent car.
  • Ya, there are a couple of owners here at work, and none of them have anything bad to say. I do think the revisions are well done, but the rumor is the 2-tiered dash has been deleted for a more traditional setup which will make a lot of the naysayers happy.
    the Acura ILX is basically the same platform, and it has a normal dash. Looks quite a bit different.

I kind of liked the dash myself. The main reason I did not buy one back in 2006 (got an Accord instead) was because I hated the seats!

My daughter (just about to get her full license) likes them. One of her friends got a few year old couple recently, and it is nice.

most likely, if I had to replace my volvo (which is about to become "her" car most of the time) I would look hard for a 2006+ generation Civic for her.

Don't like the rear much but the front is very nice. The rear looks too much like the 2012 Accord with the lights...think the Acura version is nicer all around. I do like my two tiered dash as it's quite easy to read and everything I need is right where it should be. Mine should be around for a long time as I'm just about to hit the 35k mark this week.

edited November 2012
    The earthquake may not be a damaging as Hyundai and Kia shooting themselves in the foot by messing up their EPA mpg testing.

“People bought into the whole program: cool-looking cars that also offered great value, including high fuel economy,” Caldwell said. “Now it turns out that one part of that formula wasn’t true.”

Hyundai and Kia’s growth came as Honda struggled with poor reviews for models including its 2012 Civic and worked to restore assembly operations in 2011 following natural disasters in Asia that cut parts supplies.

“The timing is beautiful for Honda,” said Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing for Consumer Reports, in a phone interview. “They’d been seen as falling behind in fuel efficiency, not keeping up with Hyundai and others.’”

Hyundai Fuel-Economy Flap Seen as Turned Tables for Honda (BusinessWeek)

Other automakers will benefit but none so much as Honda.